Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah D.Va represents peak hero design in HotS and I doubt they'll surpass her for a long time. Having two different modes, in fact basically two different heroes, in the one package allows for a more varied gameplay experience even if most of the time you want to just get back into the mech as soon as possible.

They owe a lot to the Overwatch designers I suppose, but it still impresses me how well they manage to incorporate their heroes from other games into HotS in a way that feels both mechanically and thematically appropriate (though I'm with the camp that feels Garrosh was a thematic miss).

Maybe the sometimes-mentioned Fenix with two different forms wrapped around a death mechanic will be their next chance to revisit this type of hero (or maybe Alexstrasza will have two forms).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Still calling my shot: the next multi-class hero is Fenix or Anduin.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Anduin could do support/assassin multiclass, and the support stuff can be through shields or direct heals, like priests in WoW.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I thought we'd established that multiclass characters à la Varian are a terrible idea?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I wonder if they would want to de-emphasize quick match before they introduce anymore multiclass heroes. Varian seems like a problem they still haven't solved. It's interesting how QM shapes heroes like Varian. His recent change in QM matchmaking rules made it so he now usually has to specc tank, which varian QM players usually wouldnt do. After being effectively forced too, his winrate went up because taunt is the superior build, and then taunt gets nerfed even though it's been unchanged for months and months.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

floofyscorp posted:

I thought we'd established that multiclass characters à la Varian are a terrible idea?

Not emptyquoting.

Also I have a newfound love for Zuljin, he's like cooler Jimmy Raynor. Had a game last night where the enemy Sgt Hammer kept sieging during teamfights so I picked guillotine and went to town on her. :getin:

Deep down I want to believe her teammates were cheering for me.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I don't know why they don't ask you your role when selecting Varian in QM, like the Random Hero one does. I guess you might have trolls who select Tank then go Twin Blades, but I actually think the majority of the player base would use it honestly.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are Varian's non-tank specs even good? Feels like a trap more than an actual choice.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Are Varian's non-tank specs even good? Feels like a trap more than an actual choice.

Colossus smash certainly seems powerful, but compared to having a viable tank on a team vs no tank, it seems like a very poor choice.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Kalko posted:

Yeah D.Va represents peak hero design in HotS and I doubt they'll surpass her for a long time. Having two different modes, in fact basically two different heroes, in the one package allows for a more varied gameplay experience even if most of the time you want to just get back into the mech as soon as possible.

They owe a lot to the Overwatch designers I suppose, but it still impresses me how well they manage to incorporate their heroes from other games into HotS in a way that feels both mechanically and thematically appropriate (though I'm with the camp that feels Garrosh was a thematic miss).

Maybe the sometimes-mentioned Fenix with two different forms wrapped around a death mechanic will be their next chance to revisit this type of hero (or maybe Alexstrasza will have two forms).

You're supposed to source your quotes when you copy silly stuff from elsewhere.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

beejay posted:

You're supposed to source your quotes when you copy silly stuff from elsewhere.

nah, post was good

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Also I have a newfound love for Zuljin, he's like cooler Jimmy Raynor. Had a game last night where the enemy Sgt Hammer kept sieging during teamfights so I picked guillotine and went to town on her. :getin:

Deep down I want to believe her teammates were cheering for me.

I think guillotine is my favorite ult in the game. It's incredibly satisfying to land and just does an incredible amount of damage. And since most Zuls never ever take it nobody has any practice dodging or watching for it.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Guillotine does have a really big damage number when you're low on health and one day, gods willing, I'm going to actually hit something with one of them.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Gustav posted:

Guillotine does have a really big damage number when you're low on health and one day, gods willing, I'm going to actually hit something with one of them.

It's not that hard to hit people with- practice with Chromie's W, which is almost exactly the same skill.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gustav posted:

I managed to vaporize either a Li-Ming or a Valla with one earlier. 90% hp, then they were dead. It felt good.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I had a guillotine one time against a mostly melee comp that had a triple kill and chunked the last dude low enough that our abathur tunneled over and slapped him once to finish him off when he tried to hearth. It's the best ult.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I haven't played Valeera in a while or really see anyone play her much either so I queued up with her in QM and she seems really kinda weak now. I was using the standard build and even then she just didn't feel like she was making a big impact. Is that accurate at all?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
THREE heroes on sale next week (3) (three) (III)!!! D Va, Chen, and Leoric. (Have D Va, will buy Chen and Leo)

Might be the case going forwards too. Never buy full price!!!! If you want to spend money buy monthly stims and the yearly stim on black friday, unless you don't play much in which case don't.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Funny bit from the latest "Making of KT" video, during their initial playtesting:

e: Weird that Blizz appeared to playtest KT on vanilla Hanamura, but then again that chronologically could have been shot a long time ago.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 1, 2017

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
How much was the yearly stim pack on Black Friday?

I play this stupid game way too much. Enough that even my 30 day Stim packs are free..

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alpha Mayo posted:

I play this stupid game way too much. Enough that even my 30 day Stim packs are free..

$60

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

6K gems. I bought a big pack to get on sale items/monthlies and am saving 6k for that guy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

Assuming that 1/2 of your stim time comes from chests:

75 levels a month = 200k experience per game × 1 level / 1200k experience × Y games played

Solving for y, we get 600 games played per month, or 15 per day - seems good

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

No Wave posted:

Assuming that 1/2 of your stim time comes from chests:

75 levels a month = 200k experience per game × 1 level / 1200k experience × Y games played

Solving for y, we get 600 games played per month, or 15 per day - seems good

That's quite a few games, though I guess playing in a group, with friends would help that a fair bit.

For my part, I've been buying every hero that's half off from the gems i got from my WoW gold, and slowly buying up every hero for gold as I get gold and have interest, starting with the cheap ones. I only have Stitches and ~15 10k gold heroes left, with about half of my starting 6k gems.

That 20 hero starter pack was a huge boon. I don't think I'd like starting down the insurmountable grind without a 'you get this big pack, and some of them are good' starter kit. Not really relying at all on the F2P rotation beyond it letting me try out heroes i don't own and am interested in was quite helpful. I've basically had no premium barring some luck in my initial week, and while it seemed like quite a boost then, I'm still getting the trickle of gold from daily quests of about 1 hero every 1-2 weeks, plus lucking into sales, to average about a hero unlocked a week.

Oh, and I've never spent shards and after all this I still only have ~3k. I'm glad i've never strongly cared about cosmetics in games because those seem to trickle in really, really slowly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Radish posted:

I haven't played Valeera in a while or really see anyone play her much either so I queued up with her in QM and she seems really kinda weak now. I was using the standard build and even then she just didn't feel like she was making a big impact. Is that accurate at all?

She does feel a little weak and I think her ults are garbage. I have a decent amount of luck with her in qm though. Having an at-will stun out of stealth can set up some ganks if your team is paying attention and she's pretty decent at chasing down low hp targets.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

That's quite a few games, though I guess playing in a group, with friends would help that a fair bit.

For my part, I've been buying every hero that's half off from the gems i got from my WoW gold, and slowly buying up every hero for gold as I get gold and have interest, starting with the cheap ones. I only have Stitches and ~15 10k gold heroes left, with about half of my starting 6k gems.

That 20 hero starter pack was a huge boon. I don't think I'd like starting down the insurmountable grind without a 'you get this big pack, and some of them are good' starter kit. Not really relying at all on the F2P rotation beyond it letting me try out heroes i don't own and am interested in was quite helpful. I've basically had no premium barring some luck in my initial week, and while it seemed like quite a boost then, I'm still getting the trickle of gold from daily quests of about 1 hero every 1-2 weeks, plus lucking into sales, to average about a hero unlocked a week.

Oh, and I've never spent shards and after all this I still only have ~3k. I'm glad i've never strongly cared about cosmetics in games because those seem to trickle in really, really slowly.
I'm similar but I've mostly been holding gold instead of buying heroes with it (unless there's one I want for HL/TL) - at 55k right now with ~24 heroes missing. There's always the chance of opening a hero so no reason to buy until you want to play with it/have it available during draft. If I ever get enough gold to afford every remaining hero I guess I'd buy them all because shards become more valuable at that point.

Will probably start buying newer heroes as they're released because they're less likely to go on sale sooner.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

No Wave posted:

I'm similar but I've mostly been holding gold instead of buying heroes with it (unless there's one I want for HL/TL) - at 55k right now with ~24 heroes missing. There's always the chance of opening a hero so no reason to buy until you want to play with it/have it available during draft. If I ever get enough gold to afford every remaining hero I guess I'd buy them all because shards become more valuable at that point.

Will probably start buying newer heroes as they're released because they're less likely to go on sale sooner.

I definitely thought about doing this but i enjoy levelling lots of heroes to 5 for the gold and the option to use them in HL. I've held off starting HL until i had a decent pool but 30 is probably enough levelled heroes :vv:

And, for what it's worth, I've been tracking how many heroes i've opened that I've already had. It's been like 3 jimmies and one other, so basically no issues. That said I think buying what you want to play only rather than going by cheapest is the way to go.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Can you not use a hero below 5 in HL? Or is it just a requisite that you have X heroes at 5?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BrianBoitano posted:

e: Weird that Blizz appeared to playtest KT on vanilla Hanamura, but then again that chronologically could have been shot a long time ago.

Not strange at all. Genji was done for something like two months before he was released, and his kit was just adapting from Overwatch. Kel'thuzad's stuff had to be spun from nothing, so there's no doubt in my mind that his development period was way longer.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Can you not use a hero below 5 in HL? Or is it just a requisite that you have X heroes at 5?

You can't use a hero who's below 5. You need 14 at 5 to even play. I like playing different roles, so I try to keep a diverse pool, though I recognize I'm not great at any that want a heavy specialization (TLV, Aba)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Toshimo posted:

You can't play it until L5.

This is why the 14 hero requirement exists - if you were last pick it's theoretically possible for 13 heroes to get picked/banned (9 picks, 4 bans) so 14 limit exists to keep you from ever being shut out of all the heroes you're able to play.

If 2 more bans ever get added the number will increase to 16.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Colossus smash certainly seems powerful, but compared to having a viable tank on a team vs no tank, it seems like a very poor choice.

Don't need a tank if they're all squishy and you can burst them down!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

She does feel a little weak and I think her ults are garbage. I have a decent amount of luck with her in qm though. Having an at-will stun out of stealth can set up some ganks if your team is paying attention and she's pretty decent at chasing down low hp targets.

Yeah I'm wondering if there's a better build for her right now since she doesn't seem to much damage but her out of stealth stun is powerful if other people are paying attention (they aren't :smith:)

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Radish posted:

She's not in a good spot. Real hard to balance her because QM people hate being killed by stealthies. If she were actually good in competitive she would be a pub stomper in QM. Nova is even a better pick.

I really don't know why Blizzard even releases stealth characters.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I want to play as Barnes from Karazhan. We also need a Karazhan map.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Radish posted:

Yeah I'm wondering if there's a better build for her right now since she doesn't seem to much damage but her out of stealth stun is powerful if other people are paying attention (they aren't :smith:)

Most of her damage comes from garrote at the end of combos. She isn't going to 100-0 someone, but if you can cheap shot/sinister strike/garrote/blade flurry/sinister strike/garrote you actually can do a decent amount of damage and your teammates hopefully can finish them off. Also if you can jump someone at <50% health you can probably just finish them yourself.

Also if you're up against an auto-attack heavy comp, take the optional blind on cheap shot. Then build up easy combo points while they fruitlessly try to fight back, and disappear again before they can do anything to you.

But yeah, Nova seems to be way better overall.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Stealthies should be taken in pairs in QM or TL. Instalocked first and second pick, ideally.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dugong posted:

I want to play as Barnes from Karazhan. We also need a Karazhan map.

Only if i get a One Night in Karazhan / Great Gatsby Medivh skin out of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Let's give the people what they really want - more tints of the Epic skin owl knight medivh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I just want a red Cyberwolf mount so my Morales can accurately cosplay Mega Man.