Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I have never wanted an Errol Morris documentary on anyone more than this guy right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I wonder if there's any way to use this for the left. Maybe that's unethical, but I don't know, if you somehow got disaffected losers screaming about millionaires and billionaires instead of Jews, and PoC, gosh, that might go somewhere. Maybe.

Don't touch the poop is a good rule... right up there with don't stick it in crazy. I think you can see how both kinda apply here.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Good, maybe people can focus their poo poo towards her being one instead of fighting each other here for 5 bloody hours. :getin:

Hellblazer187 posted:

I wonder if there's any way to use this for the left. Maybe that's unethical, but I don't know, if you somehow got disaffected losers screaming about millionaires and billionaires instead of Jews, and PoC, gosh, that might go somewhere. Maybe.

So basically my entire college experience in the early 2000's. IMO there is that sort of thing, but it's not disaffected youth so much as people with prospects and it really is called going to college. Maybe it's not that way in the States but in Canada at U of T, McMaster, McGill and those sorts of venues it's a hot pot of leftist sentiment and people having plenty to say about the greed of billionaires. Again one of the things I find most ironic is that University profs and grad students when going off the cuff and giving their own opinions consistently railed against NAFTA as a bad thing that fucks the poorer classes and largely benefits the rich and owner class of businessmen and now Trump wants to tear it up because he thinks the U.S is getting a raw deal from it. I really do wonder what business owners are going to have to say about that as they weigh in more asking him why he's giving away their advantage.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hellblazer187 posted:

sort of like the bad thread

Thing is, a lot of the alt-right morons aren't particularly big fans of the rich either. It's just that in terms of organizing for concrete things, it's harder to be constructive than it is to say "if we just throw out the browns everything will be back to the way it was in the 50s".

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

The pro-Russia concern trolling posts aren't coming from moderates, they're coming from the small population of dumb leftists.
:allears: not really though

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

There is /leftpol/ or whatever, but they don't have a lot of traction. Part of the appeal of places like /pol/ is the thrill of being able to say and do things that aren't considered acceptable by polite society (as they see it). /pol/ revels in the fact that they can say things like "hang the n*****s", "gas the k***s" and "rape the c***s". A leftist version which strives to not perpetuate misogyny and racism would be equivalent to someone spinning a death-metal record backwards and hearing the message "love your parents" and "say your prayers" (full disclosure: I stole this joke from Berkley Breathed). The major draw of places like /pol/ is the ability to lash out in unthinking ways at Others who are not you and blame them for all of your problems. The contrast is that leftism typically lashes out at actual perpetrators and usually does so with some evidence in hand.

That said, I think some of these groups can be subverted/captured/competed against. Lots of the MRAs are lashing out over somewhat legitimate issues of inadequacy (loss of promised position in a late-capitalist society) that can be addresses and redirected against the actual enemies of the people (patriarchal capitalism that convinces men they need to be like this to succeed and then leaves them high and dry when the economic conditions change). Offering "MRA"-alternatives that offer actual counselling, social skills, solutions and a history of the depredations of capitalist patriarchy would be really useful.

I think queer "gaymer" alliances also exist, but they by default can't really reach out to the white, male hetero gamer.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I kind of want to repost this in a few places.

Two questions:
- Would the original author mind?
- Do you have the media links s/he references?

No clue, don't know the original author.

Here is the original post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1935123166767121&set=a.1530642677215174.1073741829.100008083698763&type=3&permPage=1

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/903692186184769537

edit: it sounds like she confessed before she was actually in custody so this is probably not a real defense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a reality win. A good lawyer will get a lot of poo poo tossed out right there.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Her name is loving Reality Winner

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

pro-russia trolling comes from rightists and jill stein level 'leftists' it virtually never comes from moderates

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's what the bad thread is for

Thing is, a lot of the alt-right morons aren't particularly big fans of the rich either. It's just that in terms of organizing for concrete things, it's harder to be constructive than it is to say "if we just throw out the browns everything will be back to the way it was in the 50s".

I was kind of trying to make a joke about the Sanders campaign. But In all honest, I DO wonder if there's a way to dog whistle these people into the camp of economic justice. They've got the wrong culprit for their own woes, and they are being manipulated by one of the two major culprits. (The other culprit, other than the rich, is the losers themselves).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Phoix posted:

edit: it sounds like she confessed before she was actually in custody so this is probably not a real defense.

It'll probably fall under:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excited_utterance

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

There is /leftpol/ or whatever, but they don't have a lot of traction. Part of the appeal of places like /pol/ is the thrill of being able to say and do things that aren't considered acceptable by polite society (as they see it). /pol/ revels in the fact that they can say things like "hang the n*****s", "gas the k***s" and "rape the c***s". A leftist version which strives to not perpetuate misogyny and racism would be equivalent to someone spinning a death-metal record backwards and hearing the message "love your parents" and "say your prayers" (full disclosure: I stole this joke from Berkley Breathed). The major draw of places like /pol/ is the ability to lash out in unthinking ways at Others who are not you and blame them for all of your problems. The contrast is that leftism typically lashes out at actual perpetrators and usually does so with some evidence in hand.

That said, I think some of these groups can be subverted/captured/competed against. Lots of the MRAs are lashing out over somewhat legitimate issues of inadequacy (loss of promised position in a late-capitalist society) that can be addresses and redirected against the actual enemies of the people (patriarchal capitalism that convinces men they need to be like this to succeed and then leaves them high and dry when the economic conditions change). Offering "MRA"-alternatives that offer actual counselling, social skills, solutions and a history of the depredations of capitalist patriarchy would be really useful.

I think queer "gaymer" alliances also exist, but they by default can't really reach out to the white, male hetero gamer.

I get it but why not "hang the rich" or "hang the cops"? The Kochs have done more to hurt some poor loser schmuck's chances in the modern economy than any woman or person of color. You can take just as much vitriol about your broken wasted life and actually blame someone who had something to do with it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lemming posted:

Her name is loving Reality Winner

No loving joke and I'll always remember this because of how horrible the service was but last time me and my buddies went to Canada's Wonderland on the way home we stopped at A&W to get some food and the managers name up on the plaque on the wall read Winsome Moore and she was about as sassy as you'd imagine. In a world where Soleil Moon Frye, Moon Unit Zappa and Apple Paltrow are legitimate names for people Reality Winner doesn't really come across as a surprise to me somehow.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I kind of want to repost this in a few places.

Two questions:
- Would the original author mind?
- Do you have the media links s/he references?

I just Googled it and it came up, it's public: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1935124890100282&id=100008083698763

1465 shares, I just shared again, go for it probably

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Kilroy posted:

Doesn't redspider spend most of his time yelling about Neo-McCarthyism? I follow the thread and mostly it's been tankies making GBS threads it up.

Thanks for the link.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
SHuckStream still isn't live, I think we might have a record for press conferences starting super late (35min as of now)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-8

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

The leftist equivalent is the guillotine chat.

Most people doing it probably don't want to literally murder people for the crime of having more poo poo than them. But there are probably a few who do.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/903694078398918656

lol miller better get a lawyer

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phoix posted:

so reading through this (a) the argument that she wasn't told she was not under arrest is a bad one; (b) the argument that she was actually in custody when she was interrogated because she was not free to leave due to the warrant authorizing a search of her person strikes me as a very strong argument; (c) that they locked her in a room sure doesn't seem good for the government

that said, she's hosed with or without the statements, since the search of her house and person was authorized independently of her statements

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Phoix posted:

If she confessed before she was arrested, then this probably won't help her case. I think technically this would only work if she got arrested, was not read her rights, and then she confessed.

Good reminder to anyone not to tell the police anything if they are questioning you unless you've asked to speak with a lawyer first, especially if they've made clear that you are not under arrest.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
What did she leak? I've never heard of this lady, probably because I don't read the Intercept.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

SHuckStream still isn't live, I think we might have a record for press conferences starting super late (35min as of now)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-8

Got gently caress around with the media, make em' sit in place for longer than necessary so maybe they'll be a little less comfortable, ask less difficult questions she doesn't want to answer and maybe even want to wrap up early.

Whoopsie. Loving the things that Mueller has been able to get ahold of so far. Also really glad he's on the side of blind justice and Trump doesn't have a surrogate nearly as effective, organized and with broad sweeping powers granted to him.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This article is worth a read. Cantwell's lawyer is an even bigger clown than you might expect - among other things, he's trying to cast doubt on whether Heather was actually murdered. :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

seiferguy posted:

If she confessed before she was arrested, then this probably won't help her case. I think technically this would only work if she got arrested, was not read her rights, and then she confessed.

Good reminder to anyone not to tell the police anything if they are questioning you unless you've asked to speak with a lawyer first, especially if they've made clear that you are not under arrest.

the argument the motion makes is that she was not, quote unquote "officially arrested" when she made her statements but the actions the police took made it so that she was de facto arrested, and miranda requirements applied

it's fact intensive and i don't know what her chances of success are but my eyes didn't roll out of my head when i read it and i was sort of expecting it to be bad

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

evilweasel posted:

pro-russia trolling comes from rightists and jill stein level 'leftists' it virtually never comes from moderates

I should have split it into separate sentences, I meant to describe the threats of a potential new thread getting derailed separately by either "democrats are worthless" sayers, or hand-wringing from moderates, or concern trolls, or tankies. Not all somehow rolled into one person

Edit: So like, not that I expect tankies disrupting that thread to be moderates

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

What did she leak? I've never heard of this lady, probably because I don't read the Intercept.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reality+winner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Winner

quote:

shortly after The Intercept published an article describing Russian attempts to interfere with the 2016 presidential election, based on classified National Security Agency (NSA) documents leaked to them anonymously

The Intercept article

quote:

The top-secret National Security Agency document, which was provided anonymously to The Intercept and independently authenticated, analyzes intelligence very recently acquired by the agency about a months-long Russian intelligence cyber effort against elements of the U.S. election and voting infrastructure. The report, dated May 5, 2017, is the most detailed U.S. government account of Russian interference in the election that has yet come to light.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

I get it but why not "hang the rich" or "hang the cops"? The Kochs have done more to hurt some poor loser schmuck's chances in the modern economy than any woman or person of color. You can take just as much vitriol about your broken wasted life and actually blame someone who had something to do with it.

Don't make me quote "Only a Pawn in Their Game" again.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Is the terrorist threat here that they won't release that information? :psyduck:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm not sure which part of this is more confusing, that "Reality Winner" isn't a code name, or that the Intercept of all outlets appears to be publishing evidence of Russian election tampering.

Also I ask the thread who these people are instead of googling because I want to hear it from goons, not another bullshitty NYT article. :colbert:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

It's Kilroy, I'm sure he assumes everyone who cuts him off in traffic is a dirty centrist

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure which part of this is more confusing, that "Reality Winner" isn't a code name, or that the Intercept of all outlets appears to be publishing evidence of Russian election tampering.

Also I ask the thread who these people are instead of googling because I want to hear it from goons, not another bullshitty NYT article. :colbert:

glenn greenwald instantly cast doubt on it on twitter

also, the intercept published the actual evidence, complete with the watermark that identified the printer and the time and date it was printed, because the intercept are loving morons which is why catching her was so easy

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

theflyingorc posted:

It's Kilroy, I'm sure he assumes everyone who cuts him off in traffic is a dirty centrist

Well then why are they driving in the middle of the road?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

glenn greenwald instantly cast doubt on it on twitter

also, the intercept published the actual evidence, complete with the watermark that identified the printer and the time and date it was printed, because the intercept are loving morons which is why catching her was so easy

lmao honestly gently caress glenn greenwald, he's such a douchebag.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lightning Knight posted:

I wasn't aware that the Intercept was definitively pro russia?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Feral Integral posted:

Russia is against the US, therefore Russia is good, is their belief as far as I can tell.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Reality Winner (lol) sent The Intercept those documents because The Intercept was acting like everyone was stupid for believing Russia stuff mattered. She was a fan of them and basically was like "no seriously this is real stuff here's my proof"

Then the Intercept published it in a way that made her super duper easy to catch because they're dumb.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

pumpinglemma posted:

This article is worth a read. Cantwell's lawyer is an even bigger clown than you might expect - among other things, he's trying to cast doubt on whether Heather was actually murdered. :allears:

"She was, mystery solved." Bangs gavel on their dumbfuck empty skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Feral Integral posted:

I don't think the Intercept or Greenwald have ever been pro-Russia, so much as they think that the threat of the neoconservative bloc and military-industrial complex drumming up another cold war is more dangerous than Putin backing fascist parties across the western world, so they take a contrarian position of extreme skepticism essentially to be devils' advocates. Your mileage may vary on how smart that is.

I just think that Greenwald is personally a massive prick, irrespective of his political leanings. He does good reporting on Brazil tho! :downs:

• Locked thread