Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
don't stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

is one of the most unputdownable books I've ever read

starting a book with the word 'the' is so overdone and tired. i'll pass

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'm reading Karl Ove Knausgaard's Autumn, which just came out in English. He wrote a book for each season with short entries on different parts of life: "Teeth," "Wasps," "Apples." I loved the My Struggle books, but I don't recommend this. My Struggle is famous for its details, but what made it great was its epic scope and its characters. This is just the details.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm actually reading The Little Friend right now. I loved Tartt's other novels but this one is pretty weak comparatively.

Women and Men was too dense for me. I made it 15 whole pages.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Women and Men was too dense for me. I made it 15 whole pages.

You must have spent far more time acquiring the book than reading it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

its a real page turner

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

You must have spent far more time acquiring the book than reading it.

Maybe about ten minutes reserving it versus 30 minutes reading it? The benefits of living in a state that funds libraries.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Maybe about ten minutes reserving it versus 30 minutes reading it? The benefits of living in a state that funds libraries.

Ah. I thought that book was notoriously hard to find

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thx for the recs

also this is more than a fantastic cover imo

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

All book covers should be abstract no you haven't thought of an exception

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

J_RBG posted:

All book covers should be abstract no you haven't thought of an exception

agreed

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Ah. I thought that book was notoriously hard to find

It is. Thankfully there are some fringe benefits to living in Ohio.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just finished Candide. My favorite parts are the ones where Voltaire has the characters throw shade on the real life people Voltaire doesn't like, just like Dante did.

Gorn Myson posted:

its a real page turner

it really sticks to your ribs

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Solitair posted:

Just finished Candide. My favorite parts are the ones where Voltaire has the characters throw shade on the real life people Voltaire doesn't like, just like Dante did.

Yeah, well, they didn't have Twitter for it back in the day.

Finished Molloy today, it was an experience, but I think I'll take a break before tacking Mallone Dies.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pretty delighted that a friend of mine who described his reading preferences to me is now totally obsessed with my recomendation to him: Gravity's Rainbow. I mean, he totally is getting the book and is catching references well beyond me, and is so excited to talk about the book that he cleared an end of the bar from a surrounding complete lack of interest. :D

Books rock

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

I'm going to read some Donna Tartt solely cause she looks cool as heck in that pic.

She sounded very lame to me, personally

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
my grandma hated the goldfinch and that's about the only review of it i need

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

my grandma hated the goldfinch and that's about the only review of it i need
What'd she think of the cover?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
she liked the painting of the bird. she likes birds.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Non-abstract cover art is fine so long as is isn't literally depicting a scene or especially a character from the book. That kind of poo poo is reserved for bad fantasy novels and airport thrillers. No reason why a goldfinch can't be on the cover of a book called The Goldfinch.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I'm reading Karl Ove Knausgaard's Autumn, which just came out in English. He wrote a book for each season with short entries on different parts of life: "Teeth," "Wasps," "Apples." I loved the My Struggle books, but I don't recommend this. My Struggle is famous for its details, but what made it great was its epic scope and its characters. This is just the details.

how can you not love a book that has a chapter dedicated to pissing your pants

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

ulvir posted:

how can you not love a book that has a chapter dedicated to pissing your pants
You like the book?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I liked it when I read it two years ago in Norwegian at least. I've never read my struggle though, so I might've had a different frame of mind than you did, since I didn't have anything to compare it with.

haven't bothered with the rest of the series yet, though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My favorite Norweigan book is the one starring a man named Harry Hole

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

but that's crime fiction and doesn't belong in this thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Pretty delighted that a friend of mine who described his reading preferences to me is now totally obsessed with my recomendation to him: Gravity's Rainbow. I mean, he totally is getting the book and is catching references well beyond me, and is so excited to talk about the book that he cleared an end of the bar from a surrounding complete lack of interest. :D

Books rock

You're a good friend and he sounds awesome.

I think if I ever meet someone offline who likes Pynchon, I wouldn't be able to contain my excitement.

My book club chose Commonwealth by Ann Patchett, and I'm less than enthusiastic about reading it. I've been reading Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, and it's pretty good so far.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I haven't read a good book that didn't have just abstract shapes on the cover or at the most a greek statue with a triangle stuck in its forehead. Pretty looking books are usually bad.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Once again I'm wondering what sort of garbage you guys actually read

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
if a book cover doesnt have at least three hot babes on it I don't give a gently caress

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
everything i've read in the last three weeks either has a medieval illustration on the cover or else just plain text

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Usually I know a book is right for me if it says "for children 8+" on the cover

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
The Oxford world classic books tend to have a ncie painting or something on the cover and those are good.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
The Voltaire collection I'm in the middle of has a cover depicting a washer woman cleaning a floor. The subject matter and painted style remind me of Les Miserables.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i just read the prestige, and one thing that confused me, is why didn't Angier just have sex with the prestige materials?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

The Voltaire collection I'm in the middle of has a cover depicting a washer woman cleaning a floor. The subject matter and painted style remind me of Les Miserables.

My copy of Candide has a cover by Chris Ware, and it's great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

My copy of Candide has a cover by Chris Ware, and it's great.

That's sounds incredibly dope.

Building Stories should have been the first graphic novel to get the Pulitzer for fiction imho

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i still like the newish nabokov cover redesigns with the sort of cornell box aesthetic

i only read books if the cover is a picture of asterix punching out a stereotypical person from a country i dislike

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Franchescanado posted:

You're a good friend and he sounds awesome.

I think if I ever meet someone offline who likes Pynchon, I wouldn't be able to contain my excitement.

I met a guy once with a Fickt nicht mit dem Raketemench tattoo in a book/record store and he seemed so utterly startled that I recognized it that he awkwardly said "Thanks" and went back to fiddling with the vinyls.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

i only read books if the cover is a picture of asterix punching out a stereotypical person from a country i dislike

What is obelisk doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

a guy with a Fickt nicht mit dem Raketemench tattoo in a book/record store

that sounds about right yeah