Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I'm not obsessively trying to get Perfect on each battle, should I be pickier with my weapon purchases or do you get more coins as the game goes on? I just finished world 1

I think the only map so far where you might not get a perfect without trying is the world 2 boss. Everything is pretty forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nephzinho posted:

I think the only map so far where you might not get a perfect without trying is the world 2 boss. Everything is pretty forgiving.

I mean if you're really good at this kind of game I guess.

World 2 kinda kicks things up a bit and World 3 was really tough and I thought that I was ok at the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There have been a couple times near the end of World 1 where I inadvertently let a character die and I restarted so I could get the Perfect.

Then I learned that it's really easy to access detailed enemy info, down to damage and tile movement, through the Tacticam

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Then I learned that it's really easy to access detailed enemy info, down to damage and tile movement, through the Tacticam

Tacticam is great for things like knowing exactly how far you can bait a Smasher back and forth without getting squashed. You should use Tacticam when you play this game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nephzinho posted:

I'm bad and I usually end battles with low hp counts. Like I went into the no-cover, chain chomp, kill 4 thrashers with less than 100 hp on every character except one and there was no way I could figure out how to do that without someone dying and I'm utilizing team jumps, dashes, finding mushrooms outside of combat etc. I haven't used easy mode yet but I'm glad it's there as an option since just winning a story battle is satisfying enough for me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of easy mode, is there a penalty for using it? Can you still get a perfect score with the coin reward if you use easy mode?

I haven't used it yet, but I'd like to know for the future when the game starts getting harder.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just found the W 1-s midboss. Luigi was at about 40 health so I said it's break time. Pretty nice to find a whole new area like that, though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am not sure like I burn as a status effect, 2 out of 3 times the burning enemy runs into me and then I get burned :doh:

Right now I'm focusing on Honey and Ink.

Burn never seems to spread to enemies, same for Bounce.

I never get them grouped up and trigger the special. I find stopping an enemy from moving or shooting to be way more helpful.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Any tips on using Peach or Luigi?

Luigi does a massive amount of damage and I love his sentry but I have no idea how to keep that boy alive. He's just in a constant state of eating poo poo no matter how far away from the action I put him. Either enemies find ways to navigate across the entire field and hit him that way or it's the dumb Peek-a-Boo's teleporting right on over and capping him. He just dies so fast that I'm afraid to do much with him. Which sucks as Luigi is my favorite bro :smith:

I'm only in the latter half of world 2 so I don't know if this still applies later, but I can usually keep Luigi far enough away that there's only one or two enemies harassing him, then I basically have to have Luigi almost always healing from Rabbid Luigi's vamp effects (which I think is based on percentage of damage dealt so usually can keep up with the damage received). That being said, he's the only character I've had to Respec into Health Up for certain battles.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Beastie posted:

Right now I'm focusing on Honey and Ink.

Burn never seems to spread to enemies, same for Bounce.

I never get them grouped up and trigger the special. I find stopping an enemy from moving or shooting to be way more helpful.

I did the first Toad quest with burn. I burned one of the big guys at the finish line and it spread the whole line and Toad ran in uncontested.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't ever make burn cooperate properly and I just don't find honey all that satisfying to use. Ink is good when it comes through in a clutch.

I loving love the poo poo out of bounce and will equip that poo poo as much as I can. Sending the enemy flying out of bounds or even throwing the big guys way the gently caress back ruining all their already slow progress is just so so satisfying.

Also the fact that several of us can do several different tactics and each of them seem to work for us is a huge plus to this game. It's probably really tough to make a game where you have all these choices to use in fights but in the end there's only one thing that everyone ends up using (Bioshock tends to suffer from this, WoW and Heroes of the Storm SUPER suffers from this) so it's cool when there's a game like this where you actually have have totally different tactics from another player and not feel like you're intentionally gimping yourself

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I haven't bought a weapon with it yet, but it reads like Stone inflicts everything but bounce and burn. Is there some huge drawback to it because that sounds like a no-brainer to buy if a weapon has it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Loving the game so far. I'm only in world 1 but the team jump is super intriguing. I just got the special abilities, Mario's overwatch is pretty handy and the rabbids' defensive abilities make me braver. I've had a few of the classic strategy game AI issues where I hem and haw over a thousand different outcomes and ultimately have to make decisions that will leave me vulnerable, then rethink everything again and again until I finally pull the trigger...only to have the enemies not take advantage and do stupid stuff.

Also, I bought a Switch at launch and I'm still amazed at the fact that we live in a time where you don't have to choose between playing mario tactics and taking a poo poo.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

great game but the image of the loving bondage rabbid ubisoft posted will haunt my nightmares forever

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lakbay posted:

I haven't bought a weapon with it yet, but it reads like Stone inflicts everything but bounce and burn. Is there some huge drawback to it because that sounds like a no-brainer to buy if a weapon has it

No, stone is really good. The only drawback is that it doesn't do vamp or bounce.

I think I'm actually going to start using less honey and more bounce because I want more overwatch prods.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just finished World 1, goddamn this is a loving great game. I actually had way more trouble on the first midbioss than I did on the endboss; I died like 5 times on that midboss. I really loved the puzzle aspect of the other one.

For years I've complained about Ubisoft serializing games but I would absolutely buy a new Kingdom Battle and/or DLC every year. I really hope the game does well so we can get more because they nailed the "Mario, but XCOM" feel so well and the game is actually fairly challenging at points.

Zerilan posted:

Maybe picking this up before I start moving and am without internet for awhile. What's the length/replayability of this like?

most people have said it's around 30ish hours? that's including toying around in challenge mode for a bit or doing other stuff. I've been playing it for maybe 4 or 5 hours and I only just beat World 1 of the 4 Worlds, haven't touched any Challenge poo poo yet, have 4 of the 8 characters. It looks like the main content is meaty and engaging enough to be worth picking up.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lakbay posted:

Its usually competing with Vampire and on units who take a ton of damage like Rabbid Mario

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

2-8 is absolutely kicking my rear end. gently caress these guys that can throw a bomb from across the entire map and destroy a structure, set you on fire, and literally never loving miss

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's a chest near the end of world 1 (Between 1.7 & 1.8 I think), that is blocked off by a line of white blocks with rabbid designs on them. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get access to it. Any tips?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RCarr posted:

There's a chest near the end of world 1 (Between 1.7 & 1.8 I think), that is blocked off by a line of white blocks with rabbid designs on them. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get access to it. Any tips?

That's a post-world 1 chest. You'll get an ability after completing the world that'll let you access it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's a post-world 1 chest. You'll get an ability after completing the world that'll let you access it.

Thank you. I can stop wasting time looking for a switch now. :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game deserves more props for its visuals. I love the dynamic camera that comes up when you pull off shots sometimes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

2-8 is absolutely kicking my rear end. gently caress these guys that can throw a bomb from across the entire map and destroy a structure, set you on fire, and literally never loving miss

The enemies in the level are two smashers and three supporters, so the cover is only useful when it prevents smashers from getting to you. Use rabbid Mario. Try to destroy as much cover as possible so the supporters bunch up around what remains, and use the boom dash + boomshot to take out all the supporters or all the smashers in a single turn.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Does the game tell you that resetting talents costs coins? I found myself without any coins doing world 1 challenges in an attempt to farm up coins to upgrade my weapons in preparation for world 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DapperDuck posted:

Does the game tell you that resetting talents costs coins? I found myself without any coins doing world 1 challenges in an attempt to farm up coins to upgrade my weapons in preparation for world 2.

It... doesn’t? I just reset my talents and my coins didn’t change.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It... doesn’t? I just reset my talents and my coins didn’t change.

I'm losing coins somewhere then, can't explain it. Had around 400, tried a challenge, failed, respecced, beat it won 150 coins and only had 150 coins exactly to my name, which makes absolutely no sense because I'd been picking up over world coins the whole time.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Weird issue. Can somebody else test this? I've been playing this game docked with a Pro Controller like I do with 99% of my Switch time, but now I'm on the way to my mother-in-law's with my wife driving. It's 5 hours so I thought I'd take Mario+Rabbids with me. I kinda hate the Joy-Con so I brought my Pro Controller as well. I have the Switch in my lap. The Pro is connected and working fine in the system menus, but when I go into the game it goes dead. The Joy-Con still work but not the Pro Controller. I have three cart Switch games (including this one) and four digital downloads, and this is the only game that behaves this way. Does this particular game not support Pro Controller in "tabletop" mode for some reason?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Beelzebozo posted:

Weird issue. Can somebody else test this? I've been playing this game docked with a Pro Controller like I do with 99% of my Switch time, but now I'm on the way to my mother-in-law's with my wife driving. It's 5 hours so I thought I'd take Mario+Rabbids with me. I kinda hate the Joy-Con so I brought my Pro Controller as well. I have the Switch in my lap. The Pro is connected and working fine in the system menus, but when I go into the game it goes dead. The Joy-Con still work but not the Pro Controller. I have three cart Switch games (including this one) and four digital downloads, and this is the only game that behaves this way. Does this particular game not support Pro Controller in "tabletop" mode for some reason?

I use my pro controller with my switch all the time while i'm in tablet mode. Have you tried restarting the system?

VVVV: Sorry I can't be much more help. I've played this game every night the past few days in tablet mode and haven't had any issues with my pro controller.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 1, 2017

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ihatepants posted:

I use my pro controller with my switch all the time while i'm in tablet mode. Have you tried restarting the system?

Yeah, I do too. It's specifically Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle that doesn't seem to allow it. Every other game I've tried works just fine.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, I do too. It's specifically Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle that doesn't seem to allow it. Every other game I've tried works just fine.

In my minimal experience the Switch is really bad at resyncing fouled up controllers while in an app.

I would:
Close M+RLB. Go to the controller resync settings. Make sure the Pro Controller is set as controller 1. And if it already was, turn both joycon off before reentering the app.

Aside from restarting the system that's my only advice.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

If anyone else is having this issue, try this fix. It worked for me. Evidently this is a thing that has been happening to folks.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Absolutely loving this so far. Rushed powering up Luigi's steely gaze and I love him gunning down everyone outside his turn every other turn. My only big complaint with the game is that the "spinning" sound effect is super overused

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

The enemies in the level are two smashers and three supporters, so the cover is only useful when it prevents smashers from getting to you. Use rabbid Mario. Try to destroy as much cover as possible so the supporters bunch up around what remains, and use the boom dash + boomshot to take out all the supporters or all the smashers in a single turn.

I haven't even tried Rabbid Mario. I have no gold for a good weapon for him. Can I warp back to the castle and go farm coins somewhere and come back to before that battle?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god the world 3 boss. Oh my god this game.

Holy poo poo you guys, this game :allears:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I had the portrait of 4-7's boss because I'd use it as a avatar. It's really silly and charming.

Also world 4 in general has felt kind of simple. Like everythings felt shockingly straightforward and I'm not sure if it's because my skills have started maxing out or if it's just because I kind of have some idea on how to handle the enemies at this point. Enemy layouts have just kinda devolved into spamming like a half dozen bucklers on a thin bridge, pepper some smashers around various points and have 2 valks hiding near them.

It's kind of weird after how much trouble chapter 3 gave me.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my god the world 3 boss. Oh my god this game.

Holy poo poo you guys, this game :allears:
I've been waiting for this

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 2, 2017

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

challenge 1-9 is a kick in the nuts. my last attempt failed with toad one turn away from the finish line.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I haven't even tried Rabbid Mario. I have no gold for a good weapon for him. Can I warp back to the castle and go farm coins somewhere and come back to before that battle?

His starting weapon does World 2 damage, but if you want a critical you can. He has a lot more survivability with vamp. If you haven't done the World 1 challenges you can back there to farm up money (maybe you can even if you have, I haven't redone any of the challenges).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I wouldn't bother redoing the world 1 challenges. They only give out 50 coins per replay.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Only tried Peach in the battle where they introduce her and, uh, she seems kinda awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been working my way through the World 1 challenges and they are fun. Just discovered the secret stage too!

If this game is 20 hours (which is a perfectly fine length) it feels like it will be a jam-packed 20 hours

• Locked thread