Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Infinity Gaia posted:

Are you considering your upkeep costs as well? I think there's a breakdown somewhere, I remember seeing it.

I believe the breakdown is in the commander's room on the Avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Beagles squaddie squad flailing at an equally ineffective warlock was a highlight of last night.

I watched about 5 minutes of him going 'I'm not owned' and restarting gatecrasher before I stopped and went back to my own game

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I watched about 5 minutes of him going 'I'm not owned' and restarting gatecrasher before I stopped and went back to my own game

I mean, as ever gatecrasher is one of the hardest possible missions in the game

e: Also I really like the callback that chosen strongholds are all gridmap with specific facilities like ye olde xcom bases. Figured I'd mention it since I'm going to kill the last one b/c the warlock summoning eight goddamn enemies resulted in me having 6 wounded people on the last mission and im DONE with that poo poo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sylink posted:

Game is actually insanely easy once you get into the office ranks with a few guys and covert ops power leveling. If you can just stay alive on the facilities and get squad size up, then you can do w/e and abuse covert ops.

This is on veteran though, I'll have to kick it up.

I'm playing on Commander and I have to do a decent chunk of bouncing around to keep my soldiers from getting too tired and to keep bond-mates mostly together. I'm working on plasma weaponry and I've had to buy a handful of rookies to fill out a mission because I need to fill a few holes, and I've only lost like 3 guys.

There is one mission I had to NOPE out on so loving hard: assassinate commander where the map was populated with mainly Andromedons and Specters. gently caress Specters so hard. Also, why do Advent's REMF's love abandoned subways so much?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Can you use mindshields to counter negative quirks?

Caros
May 14, 2008

So it looks like the best way to get an uber soldier in this game is to just spam the poo poo out of covert ops.

I've been sending one gal on pretty much every covert mission all game, always making sure that she is the one to gain the bonus stat.

She finally got pulled into an ambush, and, well, it was absurd. I hadn't even assigned her levels, but she was colonel rank, with twice the will and movement of any of my a team, and an aim bonus that was essentially 'she cannot miss.'

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It happened over and over. A couple times he got through Gatecrasher and wiped in the second mission and restarted. Eventually he gave up on doing the introductory story mission, and on that restart got a Templar that carried the first couple missions and started having fun again.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

aegof posted:

It happened over and over. A couple times he got through Gatecrasher and wiped in the second mission and restarted. Eventually he gave up on doing the introductory story mission, and on that restart got a Templar that carried the first couple missions and started having fun again.

Only one I saw was when jamball got popped on the last move of gatecrasher

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Just about to kill my last Chosen forever and I still haven't even researched Plasma weapons. There's so many more interesting things to research now, and with the DLC / Chosen weapons / Sparks it's added a whole new bunch of layers to the midgame that was sorely needed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Can you use mindshields to counter negative quirks?

As far as I'm aware: no. They seem to use a completely different system, so no using mind-shields to cheese the upgraded "will broken" system.

They're still the best damned thing against the Chosen.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

aegof posted:

I'm telling you they added some gently caress you code - the number of high aim shots I miss combined with the number of consistent hits through bullshit like high cover + flashbang is just beyond anything in 300 hours of LW2 on legend

I'm not surprised he was struggling with the new Gatecrasher considering this new revelation :colbert:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
XCOM 2: EXPANSION PATCH WHEN

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
remote start being usable every 3 turns and not revealing concealment is insane

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Real talk tho they did something to gatecrasher making you spawn closer to the target and all the pods are closer too which makes it a pretty rough mission

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Verviticus posted:

remote start being usable every 3 turns and not revealing concealment is insane

Yeah, on the other hand its incredibly situational. I keep gettin 0 explosives on my maps I bring a Reaper.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Real talk tho they did something to gatecrasher making you spawn closer to the target and all the pods are closer too which makes it a pretty rough mission

Yeah but you have a non-rookie now. Skirmishers and Templar trivialize it

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

True but it doesn't trivialize it

Also I'm forgetting LW2 buffed cover - even heavy cover is pretty poo poo in vanilla, and half cover may as well be no cover

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I had a rookie bleed out instead of dying on gate crasher. I must have played the first level dozens of times (hundreds if you count restarting) and that never happened

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Spamming Lost beacons on Andromedons seems to be the best way to crash the game :xd:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, I've just noticed that bleed-out deaths seem to count as friendly fire on the memorial wall. I've had a couple of people die to bleed-out it says that they killed themselves.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So has anyone put out mods to let SPARKs bond and go on Covert Ops, and to let faction soldiers be able to do Combat Intelligence ops? (gently caress you, Standard intelligence Templar) I don't know where the heck I'm supposed to be looking to change those myself.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Veotax posted:

Huh, I've just noticed that bleed-out deaths seem to count as friendly fire on the memorial wall. I've had a couple of people die to bleed-out it says that they killed themselves.

They killed themselves by being too weak to plug their dumb broken arteries.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I had a rookie bleed out instead of dying on gate crasher. I must have played the first level dozens of times (hundreds if you count restarting) and that never happened

They fixed the stupid math that made bleed out based on will and therefore anyone below Sgt was literally impossible to do anything but die

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Gunslinger swarm is as you would expect with buffed pistols, superfun

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Sharpshooters are one of the best classes to take on lost heavy missions, whereas Grenadieres are kinda poo poo

Nice way of balancing the classes IMO

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone figured out when soldiers Shatter yet? Is it based on fatigue?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The assassin shot my plane down and I've got 12 dudes, what's the best strat for this

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

The assassin shot my plane down and I've got 12 dudes, what's the best strat for this

Kill her with the 12 dudes.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Bogart posted:

https://discord.gg/yYAnAq8

This shouldn't expire. I think. I'm bad at discord
Thanks, but this is expired again already...

edit: disregard - clicking the link reports it as expired, but adding the link directly into discord worked.

Taratang fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 1, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Infinity Gaia posted:

Are you considering your upkeep costs as well? I think there's a breakdown somewhere, I remember seeing it.

Aha, that's probably it. Doesn't seem like the upkeep costs are summed anywhere, but you can see it room by room in the Commander's room -> Avenger report.
E: Actually, no. Adding up my expenses comes to 490. My Total region income comes to 714. That leaves 224, which matches what shows in the "income" field on the map, but when the month ticks over I get like 60 :confused:

Also a Templar with 3 Focus pips and Bladestorm can kill literally infinite Lost. Had a Horde Sitrep, parked the Templar where the swarms were appearing, and proceeded to ignore Bradford crying about how we had to evak or get overrun. Picked up 80+ kills before I got bored, it was amusing to see the piled bodies.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 2, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for the bossfight with the assassin? Struggling real bad. Loving/hating how they managed to make such a good atagonist!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So when did beagle stop playing last night? I fell asleep after the base defense.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Why did these lads need me again? I swear these resistance fighters do better than me.

Yeah, the local resistance fighters can be vicious as all hell.

My last Retaliation was in coastal China and named Operation God Father. I can only assume that that place was a loving Triad hideout, because the whole thing turned into a re-enactment of The Raid for those poor ADVENT.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Wait until she tries her hit and run bullshit, and put all your rangers right in her goddamn face.

Also yeah, why are these lovely resistance fighters hitting more consistent bullshit shots than my fully kitted vets?

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Wait until she tries her hit and run bullshit, and put all your rangers right in her goddamn face.

Also yeah, why are these lovely resistance fighters hitting more consistent bullshit shots than my fully kitted vets?

There's a continent bonus that will randomly give you one of those resistance fighters on a missions. This chick is wearing short shorts and a sports bra, sporting a plasma rifle. She is death incarnate.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

While standing out in the open with no cover at all.

My first missions with the resistance, my team spent the entire mission moving to where the resistance fighters where kicking rear end and taking names, managing only two final overwatch shots and one sword to the ADVENT face before it ended.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Because they have 95 natural aim, apparently.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Holy poo poo, those Chosen Avenger assault missions don't gently caress about. I knew I was in trouble when I got given ten people :stonk:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Because they have 95 natural aim, apparently.

Then why aren't we recruiting them instead of the chumps we get stuck with?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

vosk posted:

There's a continent bonus that will randomly give you one of those resistance fighters on a missions. This chick is wearing short shorts and a sports bra, sporting a plasma rifle. She is death incarnate.

Is there a good resource of information of stuff like the talent tree and continent bonuses are? All the wikis are seemingly crazy out of date.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I would assume the continent bonuses are generated, much like the Chosen stats.
I am more than likely wrong though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MadJackMcJack posted:

Then why aren't we recruiting them instead of the chumps we get stuck with?

Unlike our soldiers who have to fly around the world all the time and learn how to do things like hack lamp posts, shoot grenades, and wield hanzo steel, the resistance fighters literally do nothing all day besides target practice with assault rifles.