Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Pretty much Florence Montana, about 3 miles east of highway 93. We've been having the Lolo peak fire work it's way south. There's a poo poo ton of smoke between is and the towers.

Edit: poo poo new page. Uhh... Man I sure like my S8+?

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Moochewmoo posted:

Pretty much Florence Montana, about 3 miles east of highway 93. We've been having the Lolo peak fire work it's way south. There's a poo poo ton of smoke between is and the towers.

Edit: poo poo new page. Uhh... Man I sure like my S8+?

Good luck with all that. Hope a network reset fixes things, and you don't start on fire. I was evacuated from my friend's cabin just north of Cle Elum Washington. We came home and shot pellet guns with Grandpa instead. Some people aren't so lucky.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Uncle Lizard posted:

Good luck with all that. Hope a network reset fixes things, and you don't start on fire. I was evacuated from my friend's cabin just north of Cle Elum Washington. We came home and shot pellet guns with Grandpa instead. Some people aren't so lucky.

Glad ya made it safe. Yeah few people lost their homes last week. Luckily the community around here is incredible and gave those displaced shelter and room for pets and stock. Thankfully worst I have to bitch about is my internet! :v:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
ASAP Launcher seems interesting, first I've heard of it. I've got a Pixel and have been using the stock Pixel launcher and been reasonably happy with it. Are there others worth trying? I checked out Nova launcher once but honestly the number of things to tweak was completely overwhelming given how new I was to Android in general.

Looking at launcher roundups I see all sorts of weird/sketchy-looking launchers recommended so I guess that doesn't exactly fill me with hope that there are good ones lurking about to be discovered.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

I have a stupid question: I plugged in my phone to charge, some pop up cam up saying something about battery management and if I didn't turn off some setting it would drain my phone's battery to charge the connected device, I ignored it because I'm loving stupid, and now my phone won't charge. How do I undo whatever the gently caress it is I did?

I was just trying to charge it off of a charger, not my laptop or anything.

(edit)

Downloading the Samsung power sharing app, installing it, and uninstalling it seems to have worked for whatever stupid reason.

USB-C devices can act as a battery and charge other devices which is what it sounds like your device was set to do. Sounds like you fixed it though.

nocal posted:

Am I the only one who unlocked my Pixel and now has, rather than the "home" circle, a multi-colored "assistant" circles? Also the onscreen buttons no longer go away in fullscreen apps, it seems like.

Pixels have always had the Assistant bubbles when you long-press circle. As for the navbar not hiding are you sure it no longer goes away, or are you just thinking maybe it doesn't? Have you actually tested it in something you know to force fullscreen mode?

What do you mean by "unlocking"? No Pixels are carrier locked. Are you referring to unlocking the bootloader or have you done something more?

Tivac posted:

ASAP Launcher seems interesting, first I've heard of it. I've got a Pixel and have been using the stock Pixel launcher and been reasonably happy with it. Are there others worth trying? I checked out Nova launcher once but honestly the number of things to tweak was completely overwhelming given how new I was to Android in general.

Looking at launcher roundups I see all sorts of weird/sketchy-looking launchers recommended so I guess that doesn't exactly fill me with hope that there are good ones lurking about to be discovered.

Nova is great if you want the stock launcher to do different things. Other launchers use different metaphors for things so maybe you'll find something you like? The good news is that if you ever thought "I wish I could do [thing]..." on the home screen there's probably a launcher out there that does it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tivac posted:

Action launcher is good and emulates the features of the pixel launcher while adding other functionality

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like ASAP for it's simplicity. Putting my calendar, contacts, and apps literally one swipe away from home is really handy and the widget layout is minimal, and only shows up if your music player is running.

I know there are more customizable launchers, but I prefer a simple layout that is extremely lightweight and takes almost no effort to start using.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Yay bootloops! Thinking I'm going rma it, sell it and buy something new. What's good right now? Price wise I would like to stay in the 5x's price range and not pay pixel prices.

I also like to stay as close to stock android as possible.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The only two phones anyone should bother buying are the moto g5+ or the pixel

There's just not any reason to do anything else

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Blue Train posted:

LG V30 looks pretty nice...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
It's best to wait for the new Pixels to be announced before you decide what to buy.

That's what I'm gonna do, at least.

edit: The V30 does look nice, but if the Pixel XL 2 is built on that platform, then, well...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LionArcher posted:

LG V30 looks pretty nice...

lazy troll to post lg at me lol

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Think of the possibilities:

Seriously guys don't buy a new phone until October unless you absolutely have to.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I really want to switch out this 5x since the low ram keeps dropping my gacha games out and its annoying having to reload them but I'm more than willing to wait out till october.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
Yes you may as well wait until October because then a phone with a large screen and a small bezel will come out, also a phone with a large screen and a smaller bezel.

Also we will have another large screen of a slightly different aspect ratio, but don't worry the bezel will be of a nice colour.

Yeah, better wait for some more amazing similar phones with similar features to what we already have!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I really want to switch out this 5x since the low ram keeps dropping my gacha games out and its annoying having to reload them but I'm more than willing to wait out till october.

Don't worry, some of these phones will have 4GB of RAM, but some will have 3 only! If you ignore that there are already plenty of phones with 6GB RAM this will seem impressively unimpressive.

Rickets fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 1, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rickets posted:

Yes you may as well wait until October because then a phone with a large screen and a small bezel will come out, also a phone with a large screen and a smaller bezel.

Also we will have another large screen of a slightly different aspect ratio, but don't worry the bezel will be of a nice colour.

Yeah, better wait for some more amazing similar phones with similar features to what we already have!

Don't worry, some of these phones will have 4GB of RAM, but some will have 3 only! If you ignore that there are already plenty of phones with 6GB RAM this will seem impressively unimpressive.

Specs Aren't Everything

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rickets posted:

The reason to wait for October is because it's the Pixel, which is the only expensive Android worth owning. Otherwise, just get a Moto G5 now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Axon 7 has the best audio of any phone (allegedly (if you care about such things) and is just a great package for the price.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The only Android price point that has actual options and decisions to make is $400-500. Below that you get the G5+ and above that you get the Pixel*

*may change if/when LG ruins the new one

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Don't listen to this person! Get an Axon 7 and send me a kiss when you do!

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Syrinxx posted:

The only Android price point that has actual options and decisions to make is $400-500. Below that you get the G5+ and above that you get the Pixel*

*may change if/when LG ruins the new one

This is solid advice because when your G5+/Pixel dies you can just have them replace it at the store, like all the fools who have come before you.

nimper posted:

Specs Aren't Everything

Oh because there is something else to tell these boring-rear end looking phones apart? Seems to me like there are plenty of positive/negative stories about just about every manufacturer, except LG. LG is like Samsung, in that they both make better washing machines than they do phones.

Rickets fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 1, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rickets posted:

Oh because there is something else to tell these boring-rear end looking phones apart?

Yup, software and support to name a couple

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I only look at pictures of phones before I buy them

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DON'T EVEN TALK TO ME IFYOUR PHONE HASLESS THAN 8 GB OF RAM

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
I only use flip phones, so I will be buying this when it comes out of course

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Before I can tell you what phone you should get, I need to ask:

How comfortable are you with a bit of amateur vanadium mining?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

What is wrong with your 👏 emoji?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Only the finest artisinal clap emoji PNGs hosted on Imgur.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
It's the clap emoji from Facebook if you must know

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sereri posted:

What is wrong with your 👏 emoji?

it looks like poo poo on the desktop

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Taffer posted:

also this

nimper fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 1, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Android Thread: What kind of clap do you have?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nimper posted:

also this

Jazz hands

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oreo continuing to have errors. YouTube froze while casting yesterday, and my System UI process crashed just now while switching apps and refused to bring up my home screen after restarting. As in, home button unresponsive.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Taffer posted:

What crappy os are you using that can't display emoji correctly?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

What crappy os are you using that can't display emoji correctly?

Windows 10, fully updated, and Chrome, fully updated.

vs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought 2017 was going to be the year of emojis on the desktop. 😬

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ola posted:

I thought 2017 was going to be the year of emojis on the desktop. 😬

:mrwhite:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
So my weird issue is that when I unlocked my phone --as in, put my finger on the fingerprint scanner -- my home button was randomly different. Instead of a white circle, it is now the assistant circles in a long row (small blue, red, yellow, green circles). That is now my home button, all the time. When I use a formerly fullscreen game, the buttons no longer disappear. Unfortunately the built-in screenshot function doesn't show the buttons at all, so I can't show it.