Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

... Did he 3d print the last one?

Yes! I can't imagine that material sounds too good but he works at a Fab Lab so he has easy access to that sort of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lumpy posted:

You just made my daughter very happy. That's her favorite song.

She's big into Djent huh

Don't show her any Pingu though, that guy is a bad influence!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Peetown Manning posted:

I know the feeling...

Oh god. I love the sound of the pedal steel and every time I see one I am so tempted to get one but I know I would never use it professionally and that is the only way I justify getting massive amounts of guitars and basses. They are so freaking cool sounding.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

She's big into Djent huh

Don't show her any Pingu though, that guy is a bad influence!

She's into post-rock too. It's fun when she talks to the other 9 years old about what bands they like.

And the reason I have my avatar is because from age 3-4, that's all she watched. :smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What does she think about blackgaze?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
#blackgazelivesmatter

I can't help but feel that blackgaze would be much better as strictly instrumental music. Maligned though they are I like deafheaven until matey starts shrieking. I'm not averse to extreme vocals at all but it always comes across a bit incongruous with blackgaze.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I first heard the term I thought it would be post rock with blast beats but turns out it's just black metal with weird chords and clean sections.

Alcest and Ameseouers are the best though. Your daughter may like those, if you can spell the second one right.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

NonzeroCircle posted:

#blackgazelivesmatter

I can't help but feel that blackgaze would be much better as strictly instrumental music. Maligned though they are I like deafheaven until matey starts shrieking. I'm not averse to extreme vocals at all but it always comes across a bit incongruous with blackgaze.

I think a huge majority of Heavy Music would be better as instrumental. A lot of the non-instrumental stuff I like it's primarily "the singer isn't too awful" and the goodness of the rest of the band makes up for it, but yeah, so much is "oh man, this sounds great!" *singer starts screaching* "oh well, let's see what this other band sounds like!"

Spanish Manlove posted:

Alcest and Ameseouers are the best though.

I'll check them out, thanks!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's a punk band round here who are musically very '77, sorta early Clash/Ramones sound but the singer seems to want to be in Crass or Discharge. Its weird having mostly major music with "Raarghblahblahraaaarg" vocals on the top. Suppose it broadens the bills they can play on and they've been going since before 1990 so someone must dig it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

I think a huge majority of Heavy Music would be better as instrumental. A lot of the non-instrumental stuff I like it's primarily "the singer isn't too awful" and the goodness of the rest of the band makes up for it, but yeah, so much is "oh man, this sounds great!" *singer starts screaching* "oh well, let's see what this other band sounds like!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRfTgbiWVA

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Danyull posted:

Speaking of guitars with way too may strings, here's one a friend of mine made in his freshman year of high school.

And a few others he's made since then

Would, with any one of these.

On a related note anybody try the new Yamaha Revstar line?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've played a couple Revstars at my local shop. I like the ones with P90s the most, but they are all pretty good guitars, definitely a nice break from the "typical" fare.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've been curious about the Revstars since my local shop has some, but all the online info I've found (including Yamaha's website itself) has been spectacularly uninformative. I might just have to bug the guys at the shop next time I'm there instead; they're a Yamaha dealer so they probably know.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Lumpy posted:

Also check out Violet Cold, dude is prolific as gently caress but one of my favourite albums of his is Magic Night which is instrumental and awesome. It has the beautiful but depressing but triumphant atmosphere going with all the tremolo you could ask for, but no vocals at all.

https://youtu.be/EOJeYXDpYZo

Edit: like most Atmospheric or *gaze stuff all the songs are "growers" for sure, and lend themselves more towards background music than active listening but YMMV.

Speaking of which I really need to work on (aka start) tremolo picking, since basically everything I listen to these days uses it extensively. I'm still kinda stuck on noodling pentatonic over random YouTube backing tracks though, it's hard to stop. :unsmith:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 2, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm buying upgrade stuff for my Talman (GFS Hard Vintage noiseless pickups plus a new wiring harness since I need new pots) and I'm completely paralyzed by the question "do I want new knobs". Funny how the most trivial question is the hardest to answer.

(Right now it's got white Strat-style knobs, I was thinking of switching to black ones but also these would look pretty badass.)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The revstars are gorgeous af but they aren't available lefty sooooooo

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Anime Reference posted:

I'm buying upgrade stuff for my Talman (GFS Hard Vintage noiseless pickups plus a new wiring harness since I need new pots) and I'm completely paralyzed by the question "do I want new knobs". Funny how the most trivial question is the hardest to answer.

(Right now it's got white Strat-style knobs, I was thinking of switching to black ones but also these would look pretty badass.)
Was gonna say, knurled metal knobs are best knobs

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It's heeeere. It's an Ibanez AF207, made in '98 in Japan. I figured I'd talk details here and just post photos in the new gear thread.

I need to make some decisions about string gauge and rounds, grounds or flats but it came with a set of .013 gauge flats on it and a .75 low A string. It is short scale so a lot of the decision making will be with how to get it to intonate better, although even if I can't get it perfect it is certainly good enough that I won't have any practical problems. It is so loving good. Sounds awesome, feels awesome. I didn't realize the body depth was so shallow and it is just so comfortable, awesome neck profile (not too thick, not too thin D profile). If you have played a high end Ibanez then I don't really need to go into details but it is just solid and sounds so drat good that I am going to be bringing this on gigs when I don't even need the 7th string. It certainly isn't flashy but I dig the look big time.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Professor Science posted:

Was gonna say, knurled metal knobs are best knobs
Not for everyone, but this is, as we say, "extremely my poo poo."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I feel like Blackgaze should be Aluk Todolo or some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FI8vatVAIk

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not for everyone, but this is, as we say, "extremely my poo poo."

That looks rad! Is there anywhere to get aftermarket Talman pickguards yet? I kind of want a Tort one for mine (and if I could get one with room for a middle pickup all the better...)

I'm trying to figure out how to wire my Fluences. The RGA has Volume, Tone, and a 5-way switch with the normal Ibanez Neck / Neck Parallel / Both / Inner Coils / Bridge wiring scheme. The Fluences have inner and outer coil tap options as well as a voicing switch. I'll definitely put the voice switch on a push-pull pot, but I'm not sure if I should just do coil tap on the other pot and replace the 5-way with a 3-way, or if I should try to do something wacky to try to get both outer and inner coil options. Would love to be able to have both-inner plus neck- and bridge-outer options. If I added a mini-toggle I could change which coil was tapped when I went into tap mode, but then I'd be drilling. I could go six-way and have Neck - Neck-Outer - Both - Both Inner - Bridge-Outer - Bridge, but I think that's going to be bananas to wire up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That looks rad! Is there anywhere to get aftermarket Talman pickguards yet? I kind of want a Tort one for mine (and if I could get one with room for a middle pickup all the better...)

I've seen a few bass pickguards but nothing for the guitars, aside from the usual slightly-sketchy custom places. My personal wish is a HSS version of the Strat Talman -- I know Ibanez has lots of HSS options but they all seem to have variations on the Wizard neck which I'm not really a fan of (I'm also not really a fan of the typical Ibanez superstrat aesthetic, even the more subdued examples.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Oh hey, PickguardPlanet has them now!

https://www.pickguardplanet.com/pic...enson-roadstar/

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Oh god dammit they have the peavey generation exp pickguard I needed like 2 years ago. Might still need to order one.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

nitsuga posted:

I've played a couple Revstars at my local shop. I like the ones with P90s the most, but they are all pretty good guitars, definitely a nice break from the "typical" fare.

Just played one in GC today since someone here mentioned it. The one I played was the same as the one you did. They play and sound fantastic. Great upper fret access. The neck is on the smaller side without being too small, which I like. The p90s seemed to match up perfectly to the Bassbreaker. I played it through a Bassbreaker 15 (fantastic amp I should really own). I wanted to compare it to a Gibson with P90s, but where I went didn't have a single Gibson with p90s on the floor. Instead played a Gibson LP Studio afterwards, and though that guitar was pretty meh in comparison. The only reasons I didn't like it were for the dumb reasons that shouldn't matter but do. The body style isn't too bad. I prefer a Gibson style 3 way over the blade. And I don't really like the headstock for whatever reason. However, if I was blindfolded while playing, I don't think I would have any complaint about this guitar. But I might be one of those styles that could grow on me.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I finally bit the bullet and raised the action on my E and A strings on my Talman to try to get rid of some pesky fret buzz that wouldn't be killed by anything else and it... made the guitar easier to play? That seems counterintuitive, but maybe it's because I don't have to put as much mental effort into playing now.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

StickySweater posted:

Always. Be buying. A Telecaster. You got that you loving faggots?

Fine. I got a case of severe GAS last weekend, so here I am. But I have to rotate one guitar out (wife's rules). Candidates, in increasing order of how much i'd miss them:

• Hamer XT Sunburst A/T Natural double cutaway, 2006 MIC
  • Fender custom shop Stratocaster with gimmicky built in USB, Cherry red flametop, MIM 2016
  • Fender Jaguar Bass, MIJ, black, not sure what year.

The bass hurts most because then I can't justify the Ampeg.

Which one shall it be?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bye bye Strat!

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
poo poo, this reminds me I still need to replace the terrible white pearl pickguard on my white G&L Tele.... agh

you ever have a guitar that you'd play way more except it's _so ugly_? yeah it's that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been sitting on the idea of wanting a super Strat for a while. It's not going away. Based on the new market specifically, what's cool in the under $1,200 range? Wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on HH vs HSS vs HSH. I love my CV60s Strat to death and even if I swap pickups someday it'll be my go to for SSS sounds. I can't decide what could be a good pickup setup for the future superstrat without being too close to the CV. HH is an easy great option and wouldn't cross over with the SSS. The HSS look does something to my brain (I stare at pictures of greg howe for 2 hours minimum a day) and the utility of having a thick bridge pickup for high gain while being able to get the in between position clean sounds from the neck/middle sounds neat. HSH is classic for that 80s super look and feel but I can't help but think my love of simplicity would be bothered by my inevitable disregarding of the single coil. Halp.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
KD, are you looking for a double-locking trem on that guitar?

(Greg Howe is awesome.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ah yeah should've mentioned that. Preferably hardtail but I'm willing to check out anything.

Howe rules. I got into him after years of not paying attention to him and god that dude has phrasing for days. Such a great player. I've been trying my best to pin down some of the techniques and ideas he uses.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well man, in that case I'm not sure because, to me a "SuperStrat" isn't usually a Fender. (It's usually some form of Ibanez RG.)

I love H/S/S and H/S/H, because there are lots of options with both.

Ibanez does NOT make enough hard-tail guitars with three pickups. The Iron Label stuff is cool but they're all H/H.

To me, the perfect "Superstrat" looks something like this (in form, if not in finish):

https://reverb.com/item/816611-ibanez-rg-471-ah-2011-natural-ash

For example, why can't I just get something like this with H/S/H or H/S/S?

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=432&color=CL01

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 3, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wait those things cost how much???

edit: yea that might have to be my next guitar and i dont even like the way they look.

edit 2: although, for the types of noisy sludgy poo poo i like to "play" the look has grown on me in the past 30 seconds considerably.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 3, 2017

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Well I know a guy with an HSS Strat that you can easily buy for $1200

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ibanez does NOT make enough hard-tail guitars with three pickups. The Iron Label stuff is cool but they're all H/H.

I was convinced they made a Joe Satriani model that was hardtail HSS but it appears I was mistaken. Or at least, if they did they don't anymore.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The RG471 came out at $400 and the QC was dogshit. They had great features but you never knew if you'd get a decent one. They're still making versions it, I have to assume the QC is better now. But I don't see any three-pickup versions. The blue one I posted is $400, but only comes in H/H.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG421AHMBMT

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 3, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LM403HTFMNS

Virtually the only thing I've found so far. I would never have guessed a 3-pickup hardtail was such a unicorn, it's honestly a bit fascinating.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

noisy sludgy poo poo

I kind of feel like those are the opposite of noisy sludgy poo poo guitars, although I'm not sure what the perfect one would be. I guess a trashed sg maybe. I saw some dude with a chipped up filthy sg with a missing pickup recently and thought it was perfect for the style, can't remember if he was in Iron Lung or Noothgrush or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well man, in that case I'm not sure because, to me a "SuperStrat" isn't usually a Fender. (It's usually some form of Ibanez RG.)

It also should have been made before Nevermind was released. :colbert:

This post has inspired me to give my Hondo some love tomorrow. Man, the wraparound hardtail bridge makes that thing fun to play.