Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha fantastic.

HorseRenoir posted:

That is the best possible way for that bumper pool subplot to have ended.

Like you just knew it was going to the Roger from the get go, but the way they ended it was perfect.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chris Knight posted:

Haha fantastic.

Like you just knew it was going to the Roger from the get go, but the way they ended it was perfect.
Absolutely a perfect ending. Loved how Hayley just says nothing and walks up the stairs after she finds out it's just Roger again

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked the Boys are Back in Town bit. The homeless guy looking like Phil Lynott was great, though that song really is about Garry Moore's guitar work.

I sold too much music to guys in their 50s who were super cool in the 70s.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Haha fantastic.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Absolutely a perfect ending. Loved how Hayley just says nothing and walks up the stairs after she finds out it's just Roger again

I liked that they made the reveal by just showing the untied ropes and Hayley's bemused look. That's all we need at this point in the series.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Steve did you notice there wasn't one black doll head?
This line was fantastic too. Loved this episode.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

this whole season had been really good but last episode was so tight, punchy and well produced, it's going to be a classic i think

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Talented Mr. Dingleberry

Roger becomes a marionette and injures other students to help Steve win the school talent show. Stan, Hayley and Klaus start their own local honey business.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
As someone who watched Men at Work many times as a kid I appreciated Steve and Stan dressed like Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat I forgot about that movie. Wasn't Norm MacDonald in that? Wtf I have to go watch it now

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
How the hell is this show still so good? How?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know, especially when you think about like 85% of the 250+ episodes have the exact same A plot;

Stan Hates Thing
Stan is Forced to Try Thing
Stan Obsesses Over Thing
Stan Learns Lesson

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Are not all stories just variations on the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Except the Epic of Gilgamesh Christmas episode. That was non canonical Gilgamesh.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Stan Learns Lesson

i don't recall seeing that episode

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A MIRACLE posted:

i don't recall seeing that episode

Francine, those were clearly dreams, and I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As someone who watched Men at Work many times as a kid I appreciated Steve and Stan dressed like Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen.

I'm actually glad they went that way rather than the predicted Sanford and Son Parody. But then referring to a pretty much forgotten move from 30 years ago is more Ad style.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't know, especially when you think about like 85% of the 250+ episodes have the exact same A plot;

Stan Hates Thing
Stan is Forced to Try Thing
Stan Obsesses Over Thing
Stan Learns Lesson

Pretty much the only plot beat this show uses that I am tired of is the "Steve tries to date/have sex with a girl only to screw it up(or someone else screws it up for him)" one, partially because it's really overdone(having been done at least 40 times), and partially cause it's honestly too predictable of a plot, and is rarely funny

One of the reasons why I still feel the show would be better if Steve had been the college aged kid and Hayley had been the high school aged kid, cause since Steve's a minor they can't really do much with his recurring dating/sex seeking plotlines(thus the constant return to status quo is a lot more blatant than it is for any of the other main characters), while only a couple of Hayley's plots would be effected by her not being an adult from my recollection

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drrockso20 posted:

while only a couple of Hayley's plots would be effected by her not being an adult from my recollection

Well Hayley would not have Jeff as a husband in that one case.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wouldn't be the first underage marriage in one of Seth's series(Cleveland Brown Jr got married in one episode of The Cleveland Show, and it actually stuck, although it only got brought up a couple times in that show and hasn't come up since Cleveland and his family moved back to Quahog, but then again Cleveland's family besides Donna have basically been glorified scenery since that happened)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't really think Hayley or Steve would work as well with different ages. Too much of their characters kind of require them to be the ages they are.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Francine's plots are usually:

Francine wants to be closer to/more involved with X
Francine is too involved
Francine pulls back & Accepts her life.

But it's always great when she turns out to be some amazing academic or bar-room brawler.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drrockso20 posted:

Wouldn't be the first underage marriage in one of Seth's series(Cleveland Brown Jr got married in one episode of The Cleveland Show, and it actually stuck, although it only got brought up a couple times in that show and hasn't come up since Cleveland and his family moved back to Quahog, but then again Cleveland's family besides Donna have basically been glorified scenery since that happened)

Was I weird to have found the Cleveland show really charming and heartwarming? I never really understood why people thought it was weaker among the series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Was I weird to have found the Cleveland show really charming and heartwarming? I never really understood why people thought it was weaker among the series.
Yes you are weird, that show was just bleh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

Francine is too involved

But it's always great when she turns out to be some amazing academic or bar-room brawler.

Francine has some fantastic moments. Like in 'American Stepdad' when Roger and Stan's mother are going at it in the living room and Francine's just standing there watching with wine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Way I see it, Cleveland Show was better than Family Guy, and while it never got as good as American Dad can get, it was still pretty decent

Nichael posted:

I don't really think Hayley or Steve would work as well with different ages. Too much of their characters kind of require them to be the ages they are.

Eh I'd say Hayley's rebellious daughter shtick would actually make more sense if she was high school aged, and Steve often acts more like a college student than Hayley ever does

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only good thing about The Cleveland Show was that David Lynch was a cast member for some reason.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Andrew_1985 posted:

Francine is too involved

Francine and Roger plotlines are also fun:

Francine tries to help Roger with something
Roger does something horrible and hurts Francine's feelings
Roger does something even more horrible/insane to make up for the first horrible thing

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I asked one of my black friends if that show appealed to him. I was thinking it may have been like Tyler Perry where its something you just don't get if you're white. He said a show about black people written by white people and voiced primarily by white people doesn't appeal to him. I guess that show was just bad, regardless of skin color.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

limp_cheese posted:

I asked one of my black friends if that show appealed to him. I was thinking it may have been like Tyler Perry where its something you just don't get if you're white. He said a show about black people written by white people and voiced primarily by white people doesn't appeal to him. I guess that show was just bad, regardless of skin color.

:nws: language
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gey-ySzcPA

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Roger becomes a marionette and injures other students to help Steve win the school talent show. Meanwhile, Stan, Hayley and Klaus start their own local honey business.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Internet would be very happy with her stripper story if Hayley was in highschool, that's for sure.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Gromit posted:

The Internet would be very happy with her stripper story if Hayley was in highschool, that's for sure.

If the ages were reversed would the plot lines be reversed too? A Steve stripper episode would have been interesting.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

limp_cheese posted:

If the ages were reversed would the plot lines be reversed too? A Steve stripper episode would have been interesting.

They can do it now, what with flying male stripper boots being invented.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it, Cleveland Show was better than Family Guy, and while it never got as good as American Dad can get, it was still pretty decent

Yeah, I think that "good" family guy episodes (and yes, there's definitely good and bad ones. God are there ever) were definitely better than TCS was on average, good Cleveland show episodes were better than bad FG episodes, and at this point, good and bad family guy is approaching Simpsons level ratios. Most importantly I think that the cleveland show was a much more positive show. Sure the family would argue and fight sometimes but you can mostly chalk that up to conflict contrivances and comedic hijinks, but they seemed ultimately to have some genuine affection for each other, even under strain. The Griffins, probably owing to the Simpsons more cynical influence, just kinda got meaner than hell after a while, as did the show in general. Meg should have been working towards emancipation at least a decade ago.

In any case, whether you like (cuz nobody really loves it, lets be honest) or loathe the Cleveland show, we can probably all agree that replacing it with Bordertown was totally uncalled for.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Roger becomes a marionette and injures other students to help Steve win the school talent show. Meanwhile, Stan, Hayley and Klaus start their own local honey business.

This seems like it's got the potential to be another classic. That A plot's got me pumped and that B plot's got potential. Anything that gets Klaus more plot-time.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 4, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I completely forgot Bordertown even existed. Did that even get a full season? The animation looked awful.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think it just got the single full one. I watched every episode mainly because I gotta have something to watch while drinking on Sunday nights and boy, drink I loving did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm guessing Macfarlane probably has about the same involvement in FG as he does American Dad these days, what with running his new show, The Orville.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The_Doctor posted:

I'm guessing Macfarlane probably has about the same involvement in FG as he does American Dad these days, what with running his new show, The Orville.

Is that about popcorn or the airplane guys?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Is that about popcorn or the airplane guys?

Well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Which episode did Roger reveal he had 1 costume per character that nobody could recognize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which episode did Roger reveal he had 1 costume per character that nobody could recognize?

The one where he was a rich golf course moneybags dude