Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GotLag posted:

Yeah I think this is it. On closer examination of the switch by the door it twists sideways when being switched, like the hinge is broken on one side, before clicking into its detent. Thanks.

If I jiggle it just right it works like a three-way should. I'll bring this up when I sign on to the lease (I've just moved in to a share house).

Tell them you think it's arcing, makes kind of a pop noise when you fiddle with it. I bet they replace it in 24-hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't forget "smells like ozone???"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress does ozone smell like anyway?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

electricity

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Tunicate posted:

electricity

Sources include old copiers, those balls that make your hair stand up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Baronjutter posted:

I love it when tenants make unauthorized "upgrades" to their unit then after demand some sort of compensation, that's a thing that actually happens according to landlords I've talked to. Like "Hey I put in a new fancy sink in the bathroom, here's my invoice I think we should go 50/50 because I added value to your unit"

Some landlords are fine with this sort of thing if you talk to them FIRST.

...And some will say they're fine with it, until you actually bring them a receipt.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's one of those which you need to experience once clearly and only then you start to notice it all over. Try running a decent size Tesla coil indoors, that should do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cyberbug posted:

It's one of those which you need to experience once clearly and only then you start to notice it all over. Try running a decent size Tesla coil indoors, that should do it.

I'll just go to the store and buy a can of ozone and huff that. Tesla coils are expensive.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'll just go to the store and buy a can of ozone and huff that. Tesla coils are expensive.
Ozium is different than ozone. Although ozone has been used as a air cleaner.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It smells burny and hot, to me.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Bad Munki posted:

It smells burny and hot, to me.

Nah, that's just a stroke.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any kid who played with slot cars knows what ozone smells like. Hold the car just high enough that the current is arcing and sparking like crazy, and that smell is basically ozone.

I used to associate it with 'electricity' smell.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bigman.50grand posted:

Nah, that's just a stroke.

That still doesn't explain all the almonds someone must have hidden in here!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jerry Cotton posted:

As a child I read a lot of Star Wars books, and they constantly talked about the smell of ozone.

So, I guess, to answer your question - lightsabers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ever been to an indoor bumper car place? Ozone

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think my HOA's only rule is no giant c band satellite dishes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I got a LETTER in the MAIL stating my weeds on the front sidewalk had to be removed by the 28th or they'd assess a $65 fine every week until I fixed it. I received this letter today, Aug 31st.

gently caress HOAs.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Do never HOA

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HycoCam posted:

Ozium is different than ozone. Although ozone has been used as a air cleaner.

Yeah, I bought my old van via internet auction and it smelled like an ashtray. A friend of mine had an ozone machine - we let it run in the van overnight and like 80% of the cig smell was gone. The remaining 20% faded over the next month or two :kiddo:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So uhhh what else can an ozone machine be used for, asking for a friend

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

peanut posted:

Pretty much any major deodorizing task, is really nice for cars since you can leave it there overnight enclosed.
this one is $70

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Pretty much any major deodorizing task, is really nice for cars since you can leave it there overnight enclosed.
this one is $70

Yeah just remember if you use it indoors, you need to ventilate before entering the space again.

e: Or at least turn the drat thing off beforehand.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ahhhh I think we have one of those at my school. My boss said it was an air purifier or something. Thanks boss but that doesn't solve the root of the problem: that I share a classroom with a hoarder and mice were living in the storage closet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

Ahhhh I think we have one of those at my school. My boss said it was an air purifier or something. Thanks boss but that doesn't solve the root of the problem: that I share a classroom with a hoarder and mice were living in the storage closet.

OZONISERS (I just like how that looks) are nowadays sold as air purifiers to consumers a lot so you have people inhabiting buildings that have serious mold or other air problems and then they exacerbate that by running a machine that produces poison gas 24/7. Good times.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes it was probably being used to mask the lingering mold smell :sadpeanut:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

A Brisbane man spent 18 months collecting and wiring together thousands of discarded batteries to create his own "homebrew" version of a Tesla Powerwall, Elon Musk's home energy storage system, because he "was bored".

"[I needed something] to get my ideas out of my skull and onto the bench, so to speak," Pete Matthews told The Link.

The self-taught computer repairman now uses his backyard invention to power his family's off-grid household appliances, excluding his hot water, air conditioning and stove, which are still connected to the grid.

He says his invention can store 40kwh, or 2.8 times the capacity of Tesla's newest 14kwh Powerwall 2.

"My power bill came down from about $1,700 to around $400, so this is significant savings," he said.

Mr Mathews said his system cost him $10,000 and is made from 4,480 18650-type lithium-ion batteries, a generic battery, commonly found inside laptops and other rechargeable consumer devices.

The batteries, which are sold by the kilo by recycling companies, are about 8 cents each, while his other componentry was purchased on eBay.

"You buy stuff off the old interwebs and you solder it up and it actually works," he said.

After reading all that I was ready for some crappy construction but I was actually quite impressed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4l9bFDOtc

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

After reading all that I was ready for some crappy construction but I was actually quite impressed?

Just need one of those to pop and it will be an amazing fire.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

that was the biggest concern i had when i bought a place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

You can also remove yellowing from old plastic computers by putting it in a bag full of ozone and leaving it outside (or under another UV light source).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

frodnonnag posted:

Just need one of those to pop and it will be an amazing fire.

How would a battery popping out cause a fire?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Control Volume posted:

How would a battery popping out cause a fire?

Not "pop out", "pop", as in explode due to an internal short. Since, y'know, they're discarded batteries.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ah okay, I misread that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gvibes posted:

I think my HOA's only rule is no giant c band satellite dishes.

Those are the only kind they can ban.

Except in Alaska. In Alaska, you can put up a dish that would make a Bond villain envious and HOAs can’t do anything to stop you.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
To be fair Ozone generators are pretty great at getting the sooty smell out of places that were fire-adjacent recently.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine the slight smell my drill gives off through the vents is ozone?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was going to say “I’d only be comfortable with that if it were on a generous concrete pad with halon fire suppression”, but then I considered how I am comfortable parking cars, petrol or electric, in a garage attached to my house.

I would still review my insurance policy very carefully and keep a webcam pointed at the shed just in case.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah. Brushed motors create small arcs many times per second.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

If it's a brushed drill that seems likely, there is arcing between the carbon brushes and the motor. They actually have to carefully design all the plastic and other materials inside there to be UV resistant or the arcing destroys them in short order.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I could go into the safety aspects of this, but honestly the biggest issue is that he has tons of mixed cells (you can't really tell until the end of the video, since he puts similar cells on the exterior of the packs, presumably for cosmetic reasons). Using mismatched cells of vary ages means the individual cells might have very different full charge capacities and impedance during charge and discharge. Even he does everything safely, this will impose a bunch of restrictions on the overall capacity of the battery banks, as well as their overall efficiency.

Otherwise, it looks cool as hell.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Slanderer posted:

I could go into the safety aspects of this, but honestly the biggest issue is that he has tons of mixed cells (you can't really tell until the end of the video, since he puts similar cells on the exterior of the packs, presumably for cosmetic reasons). Using mismatched cells of vary ages means the individual cells might have very different full charge capacities and impedance during charge and discharge. Even he does everything safely, this will impose a bunch of restrictions on the overall capacity of the battery banks, as well as their overall efficiency.

Otherwise, it looks cool as hell.

In that same shot, it looks like he has an absolute assload of extra cells though. I'd imagine it'd be possible to test each cell and bundle them in groups that share similar charge/discharge/impedance characteristics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nuevo posted:

In that same shot, it looks like he has an absolute assload of extra cells though. I'd imagine it'd be possible to test each cell and bundle them in groups that share similar charge/discharge/impedance characteristics?

Definitely it's possible! Cell manufacturers even do this themselves at the end of cell production---the cells are partially charged in parallel (I believe), and then sorted based on the estimated maximum capacity (and, at least for the Japanese cells, this means that they are graded from D-C-B-A-S rank--they might have "F" too, but they might also omit it for obvious reasons). They can sometimes charge very slightly more for the better cells, but mostly pack manufacturers want to build packs only using cells from the same lot and of the same grade. This helps ensure that they age more evenly and that a mismatch doesn't develop over time.