Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Closure: I found a suitable big bugger hub tugger, and it got the job done in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Woah, I want one of those.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jamal posted:

Woah, I want one of those.

no emptyquoting.

where and how much?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cost me £80, though I got a 10% discount because I also bought some thread dies from them. Have seen the same design for £65 elsewhere, but I needed it now. I bought mine from "uk-t00ls-direct" on Ebay.

This ones a Neilsen Tools brand, I have some of their other stuff. Think Harbor Freight or Sears levels for quality - perfectly serviceable and will last well enough, but not Snap-On type kit (or pricing, to be fair). I'd be amazed if someone didn't already import the same thing to the USA somewhere. In fairness, the guys I bought from have a baseline shipping price to the US of £25, which isn't that bad for a big lump of metal, and I expect there may be discounts to be had if you bought a few of them.

The main threaded body is a hydraulic unit. You thread it in as far as it'll go, then turn the handle, and it's not pushing against the shaft, it's pushing a master piston in a hydraulic circuit, with the slave piston at the other end actually pushing the assembly apart - so no rotational friction against the end, and it has a certain amount of mechanical advantage due to the master/slave size ratio. If you run out of travel, back it off, thread the main body further in, and go again. Massively easier to use than the normal threaded types.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

My god, now that is a tool.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

The main threaded body is a hydraulic unit. You thread it in as far as it'll go, then turn the handle, and it's not pushing against the shaft, it's pushing a master piston in a hydraulic circuit, with the slave piston at the other end actually pushing the assembly apart - so no rotational friction against the end, and it has a certain amount of mechanical advantage due to the master/slave size ratio. If you run out of travel, back it off, thread the main body further in, and go again. Massively easier to use than the normal threaded types.

This is loving genius (until the seals fail, but still awesome).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Here you go, guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-Wheel-Hub-Drive-Shaft-Puller-10-Ton-power-for-4-and-5-stud-hubs-/351549768163

Edit: PCD fitting on that seems larger than mine, even though it looks like the same unit.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya and here it is with a slide hammer:

https://www.vidaxl.com/e/8718475855781/hydraulic-wheel-hub-puller-with-hammer-set-10-ton

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Here's the air hammer version I wish they would've made back when I still worked at a front end shop. Dunno if it works for poo poo, but it looks good. http://m.ebay.com/itm/142234222789?_mwBanner=1

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Here you go, guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-Wheel-Hub-Drive-Shaft-Puller-10-Ton-power-for-4-and-5-stud-hubs-/351549768163

Edit: PCD fitting on that seems larger than mine, even though it looks like the same unit.

Finally, I can now finish my project and pleasure my anus. Thanks for showing this off.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
If anyone has a Wilco Farm near them, they have the M18 Fuel Sawzall with the giant 9.0 battery and rapid charger marked down from $299 to $201. This made for a tricky impulse purchase, but I had just enough straps. :v:

I didn't even need a sawzall, but now I can order the bare M18 1/2" impact wrench and have some fun.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's a good multimeter to keep in my truck? Oddly enough, I needed one tonight, and luckily had mine, but it doesn't life in my truck. Analog is fine, just needs a case to protect it, and it has to last living in my truck. This is just for roadside troubleshooting; i.e. "is my alternator working" and is there "current flowing" type stuff.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Any old cheapy multimeter would probably work. I'd go for a digital one with a backlight personally. Should be able to find one at Harbor Freight, etc. for $20 or less.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mod sassinator posted:

Any old cheapy multimeter would probably work. I'd go for a digital one with a backlight personally. Should be able to find one at Harbor Freight, etc. for $20 free or less.

They have free multimeter coupons all the time with any purchase. They work well enough for very basic functions (I've gotten by with it as my only multimeter for years, but I don't do too much wiring and wiring troubleshooting).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Check the free multimeter against a 9V battery before you leave. I've got one that reads 10.5v on a 9v source, which kinda fucks up automotive usage.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sharkytm posted:

Check the free multimeter against a 9V battery before you leave. I've got one that reads 10.5v on a 9v source, which kinda fucks up automotive usage.

Assuming you can trust the HF battery to be 9V :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

Assuming you can trust the HF battery to be 9V :v:

BYO, obviously.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought a spare off-brand clamp on multimeter from Lowe's that's been very functional for like $35. It's nice having an hvac multimeter so you can test caps, but that's rarely very important, or something you can't test in other ways.

I've posted this before, but this plug in automotive tester is very handy if you have an intermittent problem you suspect may be electrical/alternator in nature.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sharkytm posted:

BYO, obviously.

BYOB

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
For your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlmABbSZzE

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Not really a tool, but does anyone have recommendations on dash cams? Ideally it'd be something low-profile so it doesn't block my view too much and easy to remove/deploy since I live in CA and don't need people breaking into my car over a freaking dash cam.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use a blackvue dr650s-2ch. Hides behind the profile of the mirror, has a dedicated rear view camera, 1080p (front only), good night imaging, cloud and wifi support, and comes with a decently working phone app. The only particularly bad think I've noticed is that it constantly runs hot to the touch. I think it corrupted one of my memory cards. But I also think it does that to keep the windshield defrosted for continuous clear vision. Also has support for a motion sensitive and accelerometer sensitive parking mode so it doesn't ruin the battery. There are cheaper units but I haven't heard of one that's actually better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I bought a spare off-brand clamp on multimeter from Lowe's that's been very functional for like $35. It's nice having an hvac multimeter so you can test caps, but that's rarely very important, or something you can't test in other ways.

I've posted this before, but this plug in automotive tester is very handy if you have an intermittent problem you suspect may be electrical/alternator in nature.

The only problem I'd have with that, is that a wiring issue between your battery / alt and the power socket / lighter socket could cause troubleshooting errors if you rely on that as your only means of testing. Unlikely, but not impossible.

cigaw posted:

Not really a tool, but does anyone have recommendations on dash cams? Ideally it'd be something low-profile so it doesn't block my view too much and easy to remove/deploy since I live in CA and don't need people breaking into my car over a freaking dash cam.

There's a dashcam thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

Also, ratbert90 is working through developing A Superior Dashcam: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827126

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

cigaw posted:

There is a dash cam thread!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

QuarkMartial posted:

What's a good multimeter to keep in my truck? Oddly enough, I needed one tonight, and luckily had mine, but it doesn't life in my truck. Analog is fine, just needs a case to protect it, and it has to last living in my truck. This is just for roadside troubleshooting; i.e. "is my alternator working" and is there "current flowing" type stuff.

Kinda late i guess but get a digital dwell meter

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7677-Automotive-TroubleShooter-Multimeter/dp/B0002LZU7K

Basically the same but you can read rpm and dwell off the coil which is pretty handy if you ever need it. Mines held up pretty well its not the best but it does the trick and its cheap.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anyone have a suggestion for an Android app that tracks gas mileage? I used to use Fuelly, but that's pretty much been abandoned. Their replacement also looks abandoned. Fuel.io doesn't do tenths of a mile.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I use an app called Mileage, which is pretty bare bones. None of my cars measure in tenths, but I believe it'd work if you input the mileage in tenths. Otherwise it'll export a csv file if you want to manipulate the data further, or it has built in charting (that isn't great, but I use it just to track fillups and mileage over time).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Deeters posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for an Android app that tracks gas mileage? I used to use Fuelly, but that's pretty much been abandoned. Their replacement also looks abandoned. Fuel.io doesn't do tenths of a mile.

i use aCar, well worth $5 for tracking fuel, maintenance and costs. i dont even use android any more but i havent found anything as good for ios so i fire up my android once a week and input my fuel usage into it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deeters posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

i use aCar, well worth $5 for tracking fuel, maintenance and costs. i dont even use android any more but i havent found anything as good for ios so i fire up my android once a week and input my fuel usage into it.

aCar got bought by Fuelly years ago and they're finally integrating the two.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

DogonCrook posted:

Kinda late i guess but get a digital dwell meter

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7677-Automotive-TroubleShooter-Multimeter/dp/B0002LZU7K

Basically the same but you can read rpm and dwell off the coil which is pretty handy if you ever need it. Mines held up pretty well its not the best but it does the trick and its cheap.

I was going to just grab a cheapie, like other suggested, but reading dwell and rpm seems like it'd be pretty handy in a pinch. Thanks!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

about a decade ago I had a function'd excel sheet that I just put milage, fillups and dates into and it generated all the nerdstats :smug:

now I just use my ultragauge for average and live readings

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

aCar got bought by Fuelly years ago and they're finally integrating the two.

How soon? The aCar app in the play store hasn't been updated since 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only problem I'd have with that, is that a wiring issue between your battery / alt and the power socket / lighter socket could cause troubleshooting errors if you rely on that as your only means of testing. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Oh I absolutely agree with that, my first choice would be a multimeter. But I've had a couple issues that were intermittent, so I like stuff I can observe while driving.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deeters posted:

How soon? The aCar app in the play store hasn't been updated since 2015

There's an ongoing beta you can sign up for. I've been using it for months and it's been solid. I think they're planning on making it widely available "soon".

angryrobots posted:

Oh I absolutely agree with that, my first choice would be a multimeter. But I've had a couple issues that were intermittent, so I like stuff I can observe while driving.

As soon as I read this I realized this would have helped me diagnose the charging issue on my C10 after the LS swap. It was intermittent as hell, because some jackass at the shop CRIMPED THE loving POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE INSTEAD OF RUNNING A NEW ONE :psypop:

It was hidden in wire loom too, took a while to find that poo poo crimp.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 2, 2017

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's an ongoing beta you can sign up for. I've been using it for months and it's been solid. I think they're planning on making it widely available "soon".

As soon as I read this I realized this would have helped me diagnose the charging issue on my C10 after the LS swap. It was intermittent as hell, because some jackass at the shop CRIMPED THE loving POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE INSTEAD OF RUNNING A NEW ONE :psypop:

How do you think cables are terminated?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

IOwnCalculus posted:

Crimped how?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Poorly.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah lol intermittant implies badly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gingerbread House Music posted:

How do you think cables are terminated?

Once at each end, not with a lovely yellow butt splice in the middle wrapped in electrical tape.

It was hilariously easy to replace the whole run so I have no loving idea why the guy half assed it that badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Double posting with actual tool content.

1) What's everyone like for a floor jack these days (2.5 tons or larger ideally) with a bit extra lift height? My Arcan 2.5 ton hybrid jack still works great but only lifts to 18.6" and that's not enough to easily get the WJ in the air with the bigger tires without stacking a couple of 2x4s on the saddle. Not concerned about minimum height since I'm not going to get rid of the Arcan and I've also got a hand-me-down old HF 1.5 ton aluminum for dealing with small poo poo.
2) Retractable air hoses. I received the ubiquitous Campbell Hausfeld blue PVC retractable hose as a gift years ago and the hose has developed a split halfway through. I do not expect that cutting it and putting a union there will last long. Any particularly good setups out there? Going to wall-mount it next to my compressor.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2017