Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's because Alt Shift X only presents the most popular non-dumb theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

GaussianCopula posted:

The only legit ranking is clearly

1 - closest to the books and I'm not to much of a sucker for CGI overkill.
3 - Red Wedding, Jaime and Brienne
4 - The introduction of Olly as the murder of Ygritte makes it the worst of the top 3 seasons - without Olly it would have probably been 2nd
2 - Qarth is really bad, other than that it's a good season
7 - It's bad but has some nice CGI
6 - Hold the door keeps it out of last place.
5 - You want good writing bad need the bad acting.
:agreed:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Drunk in Space posted:

So I finally decided to check out this Preston guy's videos, and aside from the annoying characters he tries to play, I think his review stuff is pretty on point, and he does have a ton of interesting things to say about the show and the books.

A lot of his theorycrafting is hilariously dumb, though. I'm currently watching one of the videos in his 'what you are missing' series, and he speculates that Donal Noye probably ate his own arm at the Siege of Storm's End (because, I mean, how else could you lose an arm during a siege?), and was sent to the Wall as a punishment for this. :laffo:

His dumb voices almost ruin the vids for me. Otherwise they're pretty slam-dunk, I agree.

His theories were fun at first, then they went straight off into the deep end.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This talk about Donal Noye reminded me of Grenn dieing fighting Mag the Mighty. Lame it was offscreen but it was a cool send off for a minor character.

However a minor nitpick I have, but I never liked how they killed minor characters just to cover the "deaths per season quota". They were probably trying to cut some paychecks off, but seriously how much could they have been paying them?

Grenn, Pyp, Daenerys' Bloodriders and maidens. They were all inconsequential to the show, but they kinda served a purpose in making the characters they were attached to feel more...human?

Like for example Grenn and Pyp, they saw Jon as more than a leader to follow, they were also his friends and Jon saw them as such too and trusted them. Same with Daenerys' bloodrider Rakharo, she trusted him because when she was still a played straight Damsel in Distress he was always close by to save her, her handmaidens comforted her at her lowest and offered her good counsel.

Every character surrounding Jon right now is because of his plot role and simply have an unmerited loyalty and admiration towards him. Every character surrounding Daenerys is because she is oh so special and inspiration inducing.

The lack of any human connections ends up turning them into Mary Sue martyrs, further reinforced by their emotionless portrayal, which just makes them stand out as obnoxious holier than thou goody two shoes.

Lycus posted:

Sometimes those 2 categories are not mutually exclusive. He did present the Varys is a Merman theory and the Daario = Euron theory.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Noye's arm was an agent of the Three Eyed Raven.

donal noye's arm was working with Marywn all along!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Noye's arm was an agent of the Three Eyed Raven.

The ravens are not what they seem ...

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Grenn, Pyp, Daenerys' Bloodriders and maidens. They were all inconsequential to the show, but they kinda served a purpose in making the characters they were attached to feel more...human?

Like for example Grenn and Pyp, they saw Jon as more than a leader to follow, they were also his friends and Jon saw them as such too and trusted them. Same with Daenerys' bloodrider Rakharo, she trusted him because when she was still a played straight Damsel in Distress he was always close by to save her, her handmaidens comforted her at her lowest and offered her good counsel.

1. Someone had to die in the Castle Black battle
2. I think Rakharo just left the show.

I think the show's done a reasonable job at making Jon's allies seem legit (although Davos was a bit of a stretch); not so much Daenerys'.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Vinylshadow posted:

The "Drowned God killing Aegon the Conqueror" prophecy

Even though Jon isn't really a Conqueror, but prophecies have always been vague and poorly worded drivel, so...

It's euron the conqueror isn't it?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

"Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” the Netflix series “Hemlock Grove,” and the NBC series “Chuck. An adaptation of “The Wheel of Time” novels has been in development in one form or another going back as far as 2000, but the projects mostly never made it past that stage. However, a pilot episode called “Winter Dragon” aired on FXX back in February 2015 starring Max Ryan and Billy Zane. It aired at 1:30 a.m. with no prior publicity."

Oh boy.

Rafe Judkins also appeared on "Survivor" 12 years ago

here's a gif that fans of the book series might find helpful for future reference

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 1, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

esperterra posted:

tbf, he isn't.

he is. gaiman is a dumbass.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The show imploding (though this season was a lot better than last) makes me think about hwo much better the books are.

"There are dead things in the water" ravengraph from Hardhome for example.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Lycus posted:

His finest work https://youtu.be/M7sh3rG96Ew

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Imagined posted:

The Essos stuff post-Khal Drogo sucked in the books, too. You know from the beginning that dragons and Dothraki burning down Westeros is the real game and so everything with Dany which isn't that feels like sideshow filler, because it is. "Let's watch dragons grow up in real time, that sounds fun."

the series woulda been better if she starved outside qarth (which would';ve happened if her name was stark).

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I don't think that I've ever seen a Youtube theory channel that wasn't awful. Every single one sounds like a college freshman who just learned what a video essay is

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the only place you need to be getting theories is dem thrones

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Alt shift x is very good.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Grenn's death really was loving good

"He was a king of the giants."
"He was a boy from Flea Bottom."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Low Desert Punk posted:

I don't think that I've ever seen a Youtube theory channel that wasn't awful. Every single one sounds like a college freshman who just learned what a video essay is

its because if they want to make money they need to make more content and there's almost never enough good theories to match that output and pretty much any decent video around a popular show or movie or game will get views if there's a certain quality threshold they meet, so you're stuck with the doofuses that write about "is mario actually a dragon in the lotr universe" add poo poo onto the pile.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

basic hitler posted:

Alt shift x is very good.

His production and style is really good but like has been said he doesn't really go off the deep end. Preston will always be my boy because not only does he come up with some ridiculous poo poo but you can see his will break slowly as the last few season watch videos go on.

'There's Jorah who the gently caress cares.' is gold.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

esperterra posted:

Wheel of Time has been picked up by Sony iirc, and has been in pre production the last year while they shop around to networks.

e: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

oh good. sony. it its probably doomed lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What actor would make a good Duncan?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Drunk in Space posted:

So I finally decided to check out this Preston guy's videos, and aside from the annoying characters he tries to play, I think his review stuff is pretty on point, and he does have a ton of interesting things to say about the show and the books.

A lot of his theorycrafting is hilariously dumb, though. I'm currently watching one of the videos in his 'what you are missing' series, and he speculates that Donal Noye probably ate his own arm at the Siege of Storm's End (because, I mean, how else could you lose an arm during a siege?), and was sent to the Wall as a punishment for this. :laffo:

If you like hearing him talk and don't want the annoying characters, check out his podcasts on youtube under RedTeamReview. I like the characters though because it's like he's being driven insane by watching GoT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7K6lIj1fZA&t=3m

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The podcast is available on itunes, as well, if you just want to pop the rss in whatever app. I'm excited for the finale episode. The episode 6 one was glorious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

If you like hearing him talk

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Ugh my lame rear end co workers are starting to share around this garbage on whatsapp groups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9U-rhVp1CQ

Who wants a modern day zombie show based in Westeros? Fan made trailer says yes :rolleyes: .

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the white walkers and wights are the worst aspect of the series so hell yeah just make a show about that!!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

auzdark posted:

Who wants a modern day zombie show based in Westeros? Fan made trailer says yes :rolleyes: .

Well 10 seasons of tense buildup to a giant zombie army only to have it instantly incinerated by napalm air strikes as soon as it appears would be kinda funny.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's too bad the Shannara show was so bad. If it had been picked up by Showtime or even loving SyFy it would probably have been okay. However Manu Bennet as Allanon was great loving casting and the scene with Star Trek TMP was glorious. "Our people have been to space, we have proof!" :downs:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

auzdark posted:

Ugh my lame rear end co workers are starting to share around this garbage on whatsapp groups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9U-rhVp1CQ

Kill everyone you work with and everyone in the comment section of this video TIA

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

the only place you need to be getting theories is dem thrones

yep

i do like alt shift x's sense of humor though

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Bottom Liner posted:

Kill everyone you work with and everyone in the comment section of this video TIA

I told them about these Zombie shows called 'Walking Dead' and 'Fear the Walking Dead' - whilst they're also garbage, they'll clearly love it.

Oh and House of Cards for the political stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fear the House of Thrones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

this is loving fantastic

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what happened to ser pounce anyway

is he...is he okay

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No joke, that cat (Black Bastard) is one of my favorite characters.

It's also a cute, innocent little thing years ago (when it was the princesses kitten) that survives King's Landing and becomes a dark, ugly thing. I think it represents Sansa's evolution into a player even better than (book) Littlefinger.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Professor Shark posted:

No joke, that cat (Black Bastard) is one of my favorite characters.

It's also a cute, innocent little thing years ago (when it was the princesses kitten) that survives King's Landing and becomes a dark, ugly thing. I think it represents Sansa's evolution into a player even better than (book) Littlefinger.

You mean Balerion?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Best catte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrNutt posted:

It's too bad the Shannara show was so bad. If it had been picked up by Showtime or even loving SyFy it would probably have been okay. However Manu Bennet as Allanon was great loving casting and the scene with Star Trek TMP was glorious. "Our people have been to space, we have proof!" :downs:

I loved the Shannara books as a kid and always thought that the Reaper bit where it's chasing the main woman through that abandoned Watchtower was amazing.
But then I realised that if you have it on the screen it's definitely not going to work as well because it's forced to make explicit the links to the past instead of just describing them in a way that makes it ambiguous.

And then they blew the reaper up by taking him to some area of radiation or a minefield or something. It feels like some parts of the books were written to be a TV show and they just threw it all away. I'm never going to say it was deep or anything but it could have been successful.

• Locked thread