Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
itsec is osha now?

fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who thinks that the gas station attendant would notice trash can man filling up cans must have never worked at a gas station before. Where I live, you put your card in the pump, pump your gas, then leave without ever interacting with the attendant. I was always busy selling cigarettes and junk food to people, I didn't pay any attention to what's going on outside.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

Anyone who thinks that the gas station attendant would notice trash can man filling up cans must have never worked at a gas station before. Where I live, you put your card in the pump, pump your gas, then leave without ever interacting with the attendant. I was always busy selling cigarettes and junk food to people, I didn't pay any attention to what's going on outside.

I am the one tourist who has a foreign credit card that doesn't have a 5 digit zip code associated with it and who comes in after entering 00000 and 90210 failed.

Seriously America what the gently caress not everyone has 5 digit zip codes.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I am the one tourist who has a foreign credit card that doesn't have a 5 digit zip code associated with it and who comes in after entering 00000 and 90210 failed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

42069 my friend.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

Welcome to America! :patriot:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Phanatic posted:

Passwords are pretty much precracked via rainbow tables anyway, so there's not really a whole lot of difference between 123456 and any other 6-character string. The only defense is length, the "complexity" of the password in terms of what characters you use in it is pretty much irrelevant. Which is why any backend that stores unsalted password hashes is run by someone who needs to be fired, and also why password policies should permit the use of long passphrases. It's terrifying that *banking sites* still limit your password length.

Salting is the reason you almost never see encryption that can be handled via rainbow tables any more.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I recall the days of signing up to things with four letter minimum passwords.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

I need to change that password every 3 months. Policies like that encourage two behaviors: You either pick easy-to-remember passwords that can be brute-forced[*] in a second or two at most, or you use hard-to-remember passwords that you write down on a note somewhere in your desk drawers.
Writing your password down and keeping it in your wallet is still a thousand times more secure than using "Password123"

Also enforcing password changes too often just means people will change it to "password1", then "password2", "password3" and so on..

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SOLarian posted:

Make sure you remove ALL the scaffolding before you start the turbine...

One of my profs had a story about how a wooden platform used durin cleaning was accidentally left inside the primary side of a CANDU reactor steam generator after it was sealed and refilled with heavy water and how he was tasked to find out if you can run the thing with wood in the primary heat transport system

apparently the answer is you can and that at 300 degrees celsius and 10 MPa the wood is essentially a liquid

edit: they drained it and took out the wood platform instead though because it was cheaper and easier than cleaning the wood residue out of the fuel channels and such later on

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 2, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Valt posted:

A lot of people in Texas South Carolina were scared that we would run out of gas and panic bought. Many stations in Austin the middle of goddamn nowhere five states away completely ran out of gas yesterday.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

spankmeister posted:

After many trips to the states, I was only recently told that as Canadians, you're supposed to enter the numbers from your postal code plus (I think) trailing zeros. So T2Z 4S3 becomes 24300.

But seriously Americans, what the gently caress is the zip code entry even for?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

After many trips to the states, I was only recently told that as Canadians, you're supposed to enter the numbers from your postal code plus (I think) trailing zeros. So T2Z 4S3 becomes 24300.

But seriously Americans, what the gently caress is the zip code entry even for?

Low effort verification that the person using the card is an authorized account user, and/or a survey for market demographic data, I guess.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BattleMaster posted:

One of my profs had a story about how a wooden platform used durin cleaning was accidentally left inside the primary side of a CANDU reactor steam generator after it was sealed and refilled with heavy water and how he was tasked to find out if you can run the thing with wood in the primary heat transport system

apparently the answer is you can and that at 300 degrees celsius and 10 MPa the wood is essentially a liquid

edit: they drained it and took out the wood platform instead though because it was cheaper and easier than cleaning the wood residue out of the fuel channels and such later on

Where do you put a wooden scaffold inside the primary side of a steam generator? Are you talking about the lower intake area at the bottom of the steam generator?

drat, and it's heavy water too... that stuff isn't cheap.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Three-Phase posted:

Where do you put a wooden scaffold inside the primary side of a steam generator? Are you talking about the lower intake area at the bottom of the steam generator?

drat, and it's heavy water too... that stuff isn't cheap.

Yeah, it was at the bottom near the PHT inlets/outlet:

I can't remember if it was a scaffold per se or just a cover for the inlet and outlet holes.

The thing was partially disassembled so workers could get inside but I'm pretty sure that area is big enough for a man to stand in even fully assembled. They reassembled it and refilled it without taking the wood out but I can't remember how they discovered it was missing in the first place. I think it was something like the worker who improvised it had a lightbulb moment and realized it was missing when he went to brag about the awesome solution he came up with.

I'm a little fuzzy about the details because my main takeaway is that you can in fact run a CANDU with wood in the coolant if you're desperate enough

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 2, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did they have some process for draining and then rinsing out any residual D2O that would be radioactive in the primary loop?

Looking at the designs of the CANDU - four primary water pumps (looks like vertical medium-voltage induction motors with redundant seals on the shaft since it is pumping superheated radioactive water) feeding four steam generators. Only 500 or 600MWE (megawatts electrical) though per reactor but it works.

https://canteach.candu.org/Content%20Library/19930204.pdf

Looks like I found my reading material before bed.

EDIT: Wow I didn't realize there were separate water channels for coolant water and moderator water in the caldera.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 2, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

During operation, water is periodically drawn off from the coolant and sent to a facility that removes the tritium using some kind of cryogenic distillation process that I studied in a course years ago and can't remember anymore because I'm a health physicist now. Water that's removed is made up with purified heavy water, which keeps the PHT coolant at some average level of tritium concentration during operation.

The coolant would have been pure nonradioactive heavy water before starting it up, and the loop was squeaky-clean as a result of the maintenance they just did, so at least they didn't have to deal with that when pulling the wood out. Too bad about the lost money from overtime pay, additional downtime, and probably some lost heavy water that had soaked into the wood though, lol

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Isn't heavy water like $1000/gallon or some ridiculous cost like that? (Or like $500CAD a liter?)

Whenever I look at the prices of books they're like "$19.99, $29.99 CAD" so Canadian heavy water is probably more expensive than American heavy water.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Three-Phase posted:

Isn't heavy water like $1000/gallon or some ridiculous cost like that? (Or like $500CAD a liter?)

Whenever I look at the prices of books they're like "$19.99, $29.99 CAD" so Canadian heavy water is probably more expensive than American heavy water.

I don't know what the precise cost is but yeah poo poo's expensive; it might be made up for due to not having to use enriched fuel though.

Also made up for by how CANDUs can run off of anything that's fissile like how Soviet tanks can run off of anything that can burn

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Everyone that matters does though

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Three-Phase posted:

Not too expensive 10 grams for $15.00
https://www.unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=135

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Four pounds of D2O is over $700.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BattleMaster posted:

Also made up for by how CANDUs can run off of anything that's fissile like how Soviet tanks can run off of anything that can burn

That’s more of an American thing.

Diesel engines can burn a lot of things, but they’re no match for turbines that will happily run on anything from peanut oil to Chanel № 5.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'm interested that they use heavy water for coolant as well.

Maybe to make the reactivity math easier? :shrug:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/fO6MqcA.gifv

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYs2IU8b3_w

Well that's certainly one way to check if a high voltage cable is still live... :stare:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ArcMage posted:

CANDUs are so miserly with the neutron economy that they can't sustain a reaction at all if the coolant becomes contaminated by too much light water; in fact, columns that can be selectively filled with light water or emptied are used as a reactivity control measure

edit: they'd be a lot more more tolerant of contamination if they're fed enriched uranium fuel or MOX fuel with higher proportions of plutonium but the heavy water moderator and coolant is also why they can run off of weird or crappy fuel

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 2, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is like one step removed from the gasoline fight in Zoolander

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jet Jaguar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZ2XdqGZWU&t=164s

Wake me up before you go-go

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Phanatic posted:

Two things, though. First, a lot of passwords are pretty useless. I need to create an account to order online from my local pizza place; throwaway accounts like that, things that it is not possible to compromise in a meaningful way, are going to get useless passwords like 123456. Second, there are a lot of utterly stupid and self-defeating password policies. At my work, I need to include capital and lower case letters, plus numbers or special characters, and, oh yeah, I need to change that password every 3 months. Policies like that encourage two behaviors: You either pick easy-to-remember passwords that can be brute-forced[*] in a second or two at most, or you use hard-to-remember passwords that you write down on a note somewhere in your desk drawers. Fortunately, NIST has revised the recommendations that led to policies like that, but that will take a while to filter down.

Collateral Damage posted:

Also enforcing password changes too often just means people will change it to "password1", then "password2", "password3" and so on..

Services with absurd password requirements that you then have to type, often, on a phone keyboard, are how poo poo like "Aaaaaa1!" happens. At some point you actually have to just let the authorized user access their poo poo without excess difficulty.

Looking at you, banks. (Chrome for Android syncing saved credentials is a lifesaver)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
American Express has been the worst at this. Literally forcing me to have the simplest and last secure password.

2FA would be very nice on most systems.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Two things, though. First, a lot of passwords are pretty useless. I need to create an account to order online from my local pizza place; throwaway accounts like that, things that it is not possible to compromise in a meaningful way, are going to get useless passwords like 123456. Second, there are a lot of utterly stupid and self-defeating password policies. At my work, I need to include capital and lower case letters, plus numbers or special characters, and, oh yeah, I need to change that password every 3 months. Policies like that encourage two behaviors: You either pick easy-to-remember passwords that can be brute-forced[*] in a second or two at most, or you use hard-to-remember passwords that you write down on a note somewhere in your desk drawers. Fortunately, NIST has revised the recommendations that led to policies like that, but that will take a while to filter down.

[*] - Brute forcing a password isn't really the main concern. Passwords are pretty much precracked via rainbow tables anyway, so there's not really a whole lot of difference between 123456 and any other 6-character string. The only defense is length, the "complexity" of the password in terms of what characters you use in it is pretty much irrelevant. Which is why any backend that stores unsalted password hashes is run by someone who needs to be fired, and also why password policies should permit the use of long passphrases. It's terrifying that *banking sites* still limit your password length.

code:
!Q2w#E4r%T^Y
"Yep, solid, no-one will ever guess that beauty!"

code:
inegyptpollsshowthatmajoritiesbacklegalcodesbasedonshariapunishmentsfromthekoranandgivingclericsthepowertodraftlegislation
"Whoa whoa whoa there buddy, that'll be cracked by hackermans in, like, seconds, come back with an 6-10 character alternative featuring at least two capitals, numbers, and special characters; two more poor password attempts this month and we automatically flag you for counselling on online security".

ArcMage posted:

It's an effective neutron moderator, turning fast neutrons into thermal neutrons. Boiling it all off (if there's a tsunami that's killed all your back up coolant pumps, say) removes moderation and fast neutrons alone won't sustain the chain reaction.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 2, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My work has a mildly onerous password policy. Nothing too crazy, but I liked how when it went into effect the olds that work there acted like the world was coming to and end. Our intranet site lets people comment on the news bulletins posted there, usually any particular time might get one comment at best, maybe two. The news bulletin about the password requirements had dozens upon dozens of posts from olds pulling their hair out and gnashing their teeth about it. "There's only so many hours in the day, how can we possibly be tasked with remembering a password with UPPERCASE AND LOWERCASE LETTERS?!?!?! MADNESS!" or "People will quit over this! This is just upper management adding one more task to our day! I won't participate!"

One women in my department was brought to tears just from hearing about what was going to be required. She hadn't even tried to create the newer stronger password yet, or even forgot it, just hearing about it was enough to send her into hysterics. It doesn't help that we have an automated password reset system in place in case you forget it, but again, no one over the age of about 47 will ever use it because "What am I, made of time or something?! That'll take forever. And look, it makes you click on a window! Pfft, gently caress that."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

atomicthumbs posted:

"I think we can replace all these janky old PLCs with something close to the metal. Have you ever heard of node.js?"

As a CS person writing firmware for PLCs I'd say you are being more than a little unfair. In particular, something like half the engineers working with our software have no idea what a "race condition" is, which uhh is a problem when programming safety-critical stuff.

What you shouldn't do is let web developers touch PLCs, but that's a very different thing.

e:

The idea behind the various control-software languages is to make something so idiot-proof that even someone who's complete dogshit at programming can use it hopefully without loving it up.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 2, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Three-Phase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYs2IU8b3_w

Well that's certainly one way to check if a high voltage cable is still live... :stare:

beanie, grey/blue jacket, casual littering, utter disregard for human life

yep, that's Russia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

look at that bag slosh

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Everyone that matters does though

Since your country is circling the drain, I'll let you have this one buddy.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

look at that bag slosh

*yelling from a distance*

"it's okay! I double bagged it!"

(later): :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007