Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

wontondestruction posted:

3 badasses. If you like rye and haven't tried that bottle in the middle, get on it.

So I never post pics anymore. Wtf happened to photobucket.....? Holy poo poo it is so terrible.

Use imgur
namaste

E:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Thanks, will do.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tried Booker's today for the first time--now I understand the hype. Remarkably approachable at 64% abv, huge, unique peanut butter flavor and thick, chewy mouthfeel.

This was the 2016-06 batch, fwiw.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a big fan of bookers. Too sweet.

Damnit now I want ardbeg.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would like to try Booker's again someday because the bottle I bought tasted like overaged Beam and dust. I'm sure it was a bad bottle.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

I would like to try Booker's again someday because the bottle I bought tasted like overaged Beam and dust. I'm sure it was a bad bottle.

Yeah that's pretty odd, if anything you could criticize the bottle I tried for being too flavorful/unbalanced.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Baker's has been consistently delicious and is less expensive than Booker's so I have a hard time justifying another bottle.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Got a friend getting married and he's a big fan of Jameson. I've never tried it myself. Anyone know if anything comparable that would make a nice gift?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Got a friend getting married and he's a big fan of Jameson. I've never tried it myself. Anyone know if anything comparable that would make a nice gift?

The higher-end Jamesons or Midleton. Just don't get him Bushmills.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Redbreast.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Lowness 72 posted:

Redbreast.

Or Yellow Spot.
Cooper's Croze if they're into wood.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nth Doctor posted:

Or Yellow Spot.
Cooper's Croze if they're into wood.

I read that as "Cooper's Cooze and got the vapors...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Ugh Yellow Spot...more expensive and worse than Green Spot.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

kidsafe posted:

Ugh Yellow Spot...more expensive and worse than Green Spot.

Agreed

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

What's everyone think of Teeling Small Batch? I picked up a bottle last night and so far I think I love it.

Also, did the Japanese hype die down or is it just way more available now? Seems like the prices were much lower than I remember them being a while back.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

emotive posted:

What's everyone think of Teeling Small Batch? I picked up a bottle last night and so far I think I love it.

Also, did the Japanese hype die down or is it just way more available now? Seems like the prices were much lower than I remember them being a while back.

At least some of it is way more available probably because it switched to nas. The first bottle of hibiki I bought was the last bottle on the shelf at total wine, and the second was from Costco except it had changed to Japanese Harmony nas. I don't like the second bottle as much as I did the first

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

emotive posted:

I thought teeling was more or less garbage, friends seemed to agree as well. Tasted very similar to $10 mellow corn whiskey. Sweet, short, thin.

Japanese hype hasn't died down at all. Lots of off-brand stuff added, usually NAS, still overpriced, the good stuff is more expensive than ever.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Yeah Japanse whisky is poo poo now.

Teeling really depends on if you get their grain whiskey or their malt whiskey. The grain stuff is sweet and one-dimensional.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Yeah Japanse whisky is poo poo now.

Teeling really depends on if you get their grain whiskey or their malt whiskey. The grain stuff is sweet and one-dimensional.

Yeah I had the grain, malt might be great for all I know.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Had the same thing happen to me once worth a bottle of Bulleit. Realized I was uncorking it at an angle too much for that satisfying pop.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yamazaki 18 is still my favorite whiskey.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Josh Lyman posted:

Yamazaki 18 is still my favorite whiskey.

I got a chance to try both a glass of Yamazaki and Hakushu in a sushi restaurant in Paris earlier this week, but both of the bottles had no age statement. There were no special markings on the bottles denoting age or cask type. Does anyone know more? They weren't bad.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

mojo1701a posted:

I got a chance to try both a glass of Yamazaki and Hakushu in a sushi restaurant in Paris earlier this week, but both of the bottles had no age statement. There were no special markings on the bottles denoting age or cask type. Does anyone know more? They weren't bad.

A problem for whisky producers is that you have to produce at least 10-15 years ahead because you need to age the whisky before selling it. By law whisky has to have aged for at least 3 years in oak casks. Also, the age on the label is the minimum age of the whisky in the bottle. Not an average or any kind of shenanigans.

This makes it very hard to meet increased demand because you can't just ramp up production you need to work with the stock you have. Nor can you start to blend in younger stocks in your product than what's on the label. So, increased demand without increased supply means higher prices.

Now, whisky producers have turned to making these Non Age Statement or NAS bottlings to try and meet this demand.

The way this works is that due to the lack of age statement, the youngest whisky they could put in and still sell it is 3 years. In practice they're usually older but you get the idea. Then there's the Angel's share, every year a whisky ages a percentage of the spirit is lost due to evaporation. This means that younger casks will simply have more whisky in them than older ones. This can be as dramatic as half of a cask being gone after 15 years or so.

Leaving out the age statement allows the distillery's master blender much more freedom in selecting younger casks. So they could select a cask that's maybe 5, 6, 7 or 8 years old. This not necessarily means lower quality. They're only hesitant to put that age on the label because they think people won't buy it.

In my opinion it's not entirely fair to the customer.

All of this holds especially true for Japanese whisky because it experienced a major boom a couple of years ago. So right now it's expensive as gently caress and the more reasonably priced options are all NAS. (And most of those aren't very good, imho)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

spankmeister posted:

A problem for whisky producers is that you have to produce at least 10-15 years ahead because you need to age the whisky before selling it. By law whisky has to have aged for at least 3 years in oak casks. Also, the age on the label is the minimum age of the whisky in the bottle. Not an average or any kind of shenanigans.

This makes it very hard to meet increased demand because you can't just ramp up production you need to work with the stock you have. Nor can you start to blend in younger stocks in your product than what's on the label. So, increased demand without increased supply means higher prices.

Now, whisky producers have turned to making these Non Age Statement or NAS bottlings to try and meet this demand.

The way this works is that due to the lack of age statement, the youngest whisky they could put in and still sell it is 3 years. In practice they're usually older but you get the idea. Then there's the Angel's share, every year a whisky ages a percentage of the spirit is lost due to evaporation. This means that younger casks will simply have more whisky in them than older ones. This can be as dramatic as half of a cask being gone after 15 years or so.

Leaving out the age statement allows the distillery's master blender much more freedom in selecting younger casks. So they could select a cask that's maybe 5, 6, 7 or 8 years old. This not necessarily means lower quality. They're only hesitant to put that age on the label because they think people won't buy it.

All of this holds especially true for Japanese whisky because it experienced a major boom a couple of years ago. So right now it's expensive as gently caress and the more reasonably priced options are all NAS. (And most of those aren't very good, imho)

Note that the rules for bourbon whiskey is different.

can be sold after as little as 3 months aged as "bourbon".

Can be sold after at least two years of aging to be sold as "straight bourbon".

If aged four years or less, need to be very specific of the age on the bottle.

Go down the Kentucky every year and see 3 month old bourbons being sold in plastic flasks* in drive throughs, so it is real.

*Tastes like paint thinner

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
True, I was talking about scotch whisky and Japanese whisky follows the same rules iirc.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There are different rules about the barrels they use between bourbon and other whiskeys. Bourbon barrels need to be new charred oak, scotch distillers usually buy used bourbon barrels. The used barrels have a more neutral taste, but also impart less flavor on the whiskey, so they need to age longer for good flavor.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Infinite Karma posted:

There are different rules about the barrels they use between bourbon and other whiskeys. Bourbon barrels need to be new charred oak, scotch distillers usually buy used bourbon barrels. The used barrels have a more neutral taste, but also impart less flavor on the whiskey, so they need to age longer for good flavor.

Buffalo Trace and other distilleries are now not only selling it to others, like you said, to other whisky distilleries but also wineries who want a bit of smoke or spice in their final age.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I had to specifically add "no age statement" when I googled them, otherwise I got nothing but the 12 and 18 (etc.). I ended up doing some reading on it because the duty-free store had a surprisingly decent 15-year-old blended Dewar's that I sampled.

Instead, this was my haul:

The two French whiskies I specifically bought in Paris. I don't think I did too bad.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bulleit also tastes like poo poo now. Apparently, they are making their own now instead of buying it from Four Roses. :barf:

I'm just going to stockpile $29 bottles of Four Roses Small Batch and never look for anything cheaper again.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Keyser_Soze posted:

Bulleit also tastes like poo poo now. Apparently, they are making their own now instead of buying it from Four Roses. :barf:

I'm just going to stockpile $29 bottles of Four Roses Small Batch and never look for anything cheaper again.

Well poo poo. I love me some Bulleit.

You should try some old grand dad if you ever have the chance. Cheap sipper for me.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVIL Gibson posted:

Well poo poo. I love me some Bulleit.

You should try some old grand dad if you ever have the chance. Cheap sipper for me.

Old grand dad bottled in bond is only a few bucks more than regular and worth it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I will give OGD and a shot again (and look for the bonded), I can't remember the last time I've tried it. :corsair:

A friend in the business has recommended Jim Beam Black as an under $20 alternative. I might try that too, but I have my doubts.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I get people wanting to have a cheap daily whiskey but I honestly could never get myself to drink something like beam black knowing that if I just spend 5 more bucks you can get mid shelf stuff. Those 5 extra bucks are 100% worth it imo.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

spankmeister posted:

I get people wanting to have a cheap daily whiskey but I honestly could never get myself to drink something like beam black knowing that if I just spend 5 more bucks you can get mid shelf stuff. Those 5 extra bucks are 100% worth it imo.

The fun is finding the cheap bottles that are better tasting than older / expensive stuff.

Telling someone they drank a whiskey that costs the same as their Jack D for a more smooth and better after taste is the best.

I goto the abc and try any new stuff and sometimes I find some really awesome poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

I will give OGD and a shot again (and look for the bonded), I can't remember the last time I've tried it. :corsair:

A friend in the business has recommended Jim Beam Black as an under $20 alternative. I might try that too, but I have my doubts.

Beam Bonded is garbage and I imagine the Black isn't much better. WT101 is $19 here/$33 for a handle so I just buy that; otherwise I think the conventional wisdom is Evan Williams > Beam >> Jack. Buffalo Trace is also better than the rest of those but it runs right up against that $20 ceiling.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm sure most of the Beams will taste like lighter fluid mixed with maple syrup.

I'm gonna stick at the $30 range until 4 Roses also goes to poo poo.

Total Wine sometimes has Rittenhouse so that's a bargain comparatively speaking as well although only really good for manhattans.

I haven't seen any Elmer T. Lee in years though, that stuff was really good for under $40. meh. :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just gave my 2.5 year old son a sniff of ew black, and he says it's "too hot, too spicy" and doesn't want to smell it again.

Success, I think!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

silvergoose posted:

Just gave my 2.5 year old son a sniff of ew black, and he says it's "too hot, too spicy" and doesn't want to smell it again.

Success, I think!

Back when she was 2 or 3, my daughter wanted to try the beer I was drinking. It was a Two Hearted Ale, and she yanked the glass away as soon as it touched her lips. She's never asked again.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nth Doctor posted:

Back when she was 2 or 3, my daughter wanted to try the beer I was drinking. It was a Two Hearted Ale, and she yanked the glass away as soon as it touched her lips. She's never asked again.

My dad gave me a sip of his gin and tonic when I was 3. After a minute of reacting to the flavor in disgust, apparently I wanted more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I got me some Ardbeg Uigeadail and I'm pretty ok with it. I'm pretty ok with all of it.

Pretty really ok.