Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

We have a Proliant gen 9 server at work with 90% free resources, if I start mining Monero, I mean that's not illegal right

As long as no one finds out

Pfft its not illegal. Make sure your boss knows that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AM I BEING DETAINED?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
excuse me sir but these processors are free CPUs of the land and therefore subject only to admiralty law. wait, let go of me you have no contract with this legal person whose name is ow hey loving let me go

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

mcBTC

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What now Yellen? Your archaic fiat currency is worthless here

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

excuse me sir but these processors are free CPUs of the land and therefore subject only to admiralty law. wait, let go of me you have no contract with this legal person whose name is ow hey loving let me go

Lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

that oughta show em

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would like to introduce the free market of my fist to his face

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Been a long time since I've seen these sort of numbers

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 1, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look at this security novice. Now I have his wallet address and im going to look up all the drugs he bought.

What memory clock are you running? Are you undervolting too?

i too am going to be so rich

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 1, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I was getting kind of butthurt cause I'm only getting 625 sol/s (??) but I just saw my memory is running 1000 mhz slower than stock for some reason :confused:

edit: Weird its that thing where its downclocking its memory, I thought that was over with. Selecting force P0 state didnt change it either, its running at 5005 mhz reported in afterburner

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 2, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Memory is at +500, I still have to experiment with undervolting.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I checked and my 1080 is doing the same thing again. This is annoying, both are running 1000 mhz slower on memory

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Need the 8700k to come out so I can finish my new build and get the waterblocks on my 1080tis. My top card ends up thermal throttling and doing 690 sols/s because of all the heat, bottom card does ~750 sols/s. Ended up undervolting the top one a bit so it still does about 690 but runs cooler.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

That is exactly what I imagine BTC aficionados to look like.

MaxxBot posted:

Been a long time since I've seen these sort of numbers

Welcome back baby

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Seriously, how are you people getting such great memory overclocks??? On my 1070, going even +75mhz makes the card cranky. Is there like some dumb memory coeff. that I'm not taking into account??

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How's your card cooling? Memory doesn't put off much heat at all, but the PCB conducts heat away to the memory chips pretty well and they are temperature sensitive. I find I'm able to get a few hundred more MHz by upping the GPU cooling.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Some of the really early 1070s have absolutely atrocious memory that'll just up and fail after around +200 MHz. You might have one of those cards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Some of the really early 1070s have absolutely atrocious memory that'll just up and fail after around +200 MHz. You might have one of those cards.
like mine :suicide:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The 1080 and tis seem to memory overclock like crazy, every single one I have had has gone up several hundred, and both my tis do 500 easy. I have not even tested to see how high they will actually go.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
EVGA 1070 FTW3 here, I can get 500mhz memory OC stable, 540ish and I'll eventually get artifacting on the screen.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
If you actually run benches 1080tis tend to stop gaining performance and actually degrade past like +300 or so but will let you keep cranking it for the phat numbers.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I can do +385 without losing performance, but I can technically go to +700 with performance getting worse and no crashing or obvious artifacting.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Seriously, how are you people getting such great memory overclocks??? On my 1070, going even +75mhz makes the card cranky. Is there like some dumb memory coeff. that I'm not taking into account??

My 1070 is a beast I actually had it running +1000 on some mining stuff but beyond like +800 didn't seem to do much.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

drat BTC jumps another hundo every time I check, very close to 5k. Up, up,up!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

craig588 posted:

How's your card cooling? Memory doesn't put off much heat at all, but the PCB conducts heat away to the memory chips pretty well and they are temperature sensitive. I find I'm able to get a few hundred more MHz by upping the GPU cooling.

Memory seems to be quite sufficient. I have a stock EVGA SC2 cooler, and temps stay around high 60s, very low 70s. My memory clocks are at 4050mhz so I doubt theres a multiplier I'm not taking into account.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Memory seems to be quite sufficient. I have a stock EVGA SC2 cooler, and temps stay around high 60s, very low 70s. My memory clocks are at 4050mhz so I doubt theres a multiplier I'm not taking into account.

We have the same make and model. I think we paid a lot for a fancy sensor-laden cooling system but lost the silicon lottery compared to the SSC/FTW people.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldnt say you lost any sort of lottery, you willingly paid for features that arent actually very important

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have a 1070 and at the end of the month my electricity costs are going down to 0.0643 $/kWh, is mining still worth doing?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

I wouldnt say you lost any sort of lottery, you willingly paid for features that arent actually very important

The day I was shopping, it was either this or an FTW which has two clips and uses more power. My electricity bill is very high as things are (which is why I don't mine) but I also buy "factory OC" models because I never do my own OC. Twas a tradeoff.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 2, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

drat BTC jumps another hundo every time I check, very close to 5k. Up, up,up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

I have a 1070 and at the end of the month my electricity costs are going down to 0.0643 $/kWh, is mining still worth doing?

Yes. You'll pay the electricity off in a few days at worst.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

my kinda ape posted:

You're looking at 20 cents per day @ 65% PT, +150/500 from the graphics card, and you make 10x that amount in crypto

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

Even if the rest of your system was 500w, you'd still come out ahead (I mean until this shitshow inevitably crashes) making more than twice what you spend in electricity (you may want to consider if you're spending on cooling if you're in a hot place though).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

tehinternet posted:

Even if the rest of your system was 500w, you'd still come out ahead (I mean until this shitshow inevitably crashes) making more than twice what you spend in electricity (you may want to consider if you're spending on cooling if you're in a hot place though).

Cool. I have a really efficient PSU and the rest of my system isn't too beefy so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm in Nebraska so by the end of the month it should be pretty cool and then it's cold from then on.

I have an EVGA 1070 FTW which from the last page or so of discussion seems to be a good card? It can go up to 215w, is increasing power draw worth it or would that just cause diminishing returns and it's more efficient to reduce the power limit?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Welp 20M Tether just appeared out of nowhere so I guess Bitcoin is going to hit a new height soon

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
For cost/profit it's best to lower the power limit as much as possible while overclocking memory because it uses virtually no power. If you want to be lazy about it (like me) I left my 1080 on its game overclock settings, you're not giving up a lot, but you probably are doubling power use for only 15% more mining rates. You have really cheap power so it might be more profitable to leave it on max overclocked settings.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Welp 20M Tether just appeared out of nowhere so I guess Bitcoin is going to hit a new height soon

TO

THE

MOON!!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Wtf is tether? I've no idea what this means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wtf is tether? I've no idea what this means

More fake money that may or may not be backed by real money

Spoiler alert: it isn't

• Locked thread