Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Do brothers ever get high enough fatigue to wear the plate armors? I mostly roll in 150arm to save my fatigue.

Eventually you need all the heavy armor you can get when you start running into the really dangerous poo poo. As a side benefit it makes dealing with goblins really easy as their poison arrows just bounce off you.

Also I am right now diking around waiting for the next crisis as I want to see what a fully leveled up/geared squad does to the noble war. Bandit frontlines already all but evaporate and without leaders goblins and orcs don't fare much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I'm developing very mixed feelings about archers. Sometimes they're wonderful and sometimes they're useless. I can see why people go with hybrid builds, but then I end up sucking at two things instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Counterpoint, archers are always great. Crossbows are a bit lackluster though.

The key to a good archer is that you absolutely need 90+ accuracy, preferably more, plus berserk, recover, quick hands, that one that improves your odds against obscured targets, and longbow mastery. And eventually Bags and Belts too. Also you really want multiple archers, three minimum. Basically you want to poo poo out arrows nonstop and hit with all of them.

Finding good recruits is super hard but very worth it.

Blisster posted:

Right after I ran from that group of 66 undead (and spent a shitload at the temple healing the resulting injuries) I got caught by another group of 30 or so- mixed between skeletons and weidergangers. Gonna have to retreat again.

At least you can retreat without injuries this time

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Crossbows are mean as hell in enemy hands because they give you injuries if you so much as look at them.

We don't care that much about giving dudes injuries so it's not as essential? I dunno.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I just dont like them becuse their range is so short you get fewer rounds to kill dudes before they close, and because they dont really work well with berserk so you attack less often, and you cant move and shoot, and they do less damage against unarmored dudes, and they dont work as well for overwhelm, and they are less accurate at range and more swingy.

They work well on heavily armored archers though, and using the goblin crossbow to save your dudes or mess with the enemy is always fun.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
At a much lower level perhaps, Overwhelm seems to do okay with bowguys, but keeping their Init high can be hard.

I'm playing on baby mode but have been having a lot of fun. I lucked out with a dented coat of plates from a graverobber event and a named 270 hat from a random fort, so have a pretty sturdy two-handed guy. The map has a few kennels, and getting armoured dogs for 330 gold a go is pretty great too. But I've still had to reload fights because of being dumb (like forgetting it takes time to repair my guys armour)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My leading cause of reloading fights is because i forgot to put weapons on the people i swapped in lol

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 27, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

My leasing cause of reloading fights is because i forgot to put weapons on the people i swapped in lol

For me it's forgetting to re-equip shields on people whose shields break

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

vyelkin posted:

For me it's forgetting to re-equip shields on people whose shields break

I alt-f4 if I forgot something stupid before a fight and I know it's going to bite me in the rear end.

Anyhow! Berserker chain. Love the concept but how much fatigue do you need to be able to run with it? I'm guessing at least 140 with a dude with iron lungs?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Affi posted:

I alt-f4 if I forgot something stupid before a fight and I know it's going to bite me in the rear end.

Anyhow! Berserker chain. Love the concept but how much fatigue do you need to be able to run with it? I'm guessing at least 140 with a dude with iron lungs?

I give just about everyone Berserk, even people with low fatigue. At the best of times, it lets a tired shieldbro kill someone with their first action and then regain those 4 AP that let them Recover to be good to go again the next turn. Usually it means you can chew through a group of 12-18 enemies before most bros start running out of fatigue by giving you more hits each turn. At the worst of times it just encourages you to Recover more frequently so that you can get the most out of your bros on a turn when they aren't fatigued. It's a must-have skill.

Also if you aren't playing Ironman you don't need to alt-F4, just retreat immediately and reload the autosave.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I only just realised when checking the wiki that there are only about three tiers of weapons? I kept expecting there to be another layer of weaponry for some reason. I killed a Fallen Hero and got his Greataxe (but no armour, had to chew through it) and was like "Eh, I'll wait until the better one." Whoops.

Game is still fun, but I am finding I wish better armour didn't have quite so much extra fatigue cost on it. And/or that there isn't much option for more expensive but the same weight class armour. Just another 'Would have been great to have mod support' thing I guess.

Is there any info on what Possessed does to undead by the way? Or a reason why sometimes AI just sits there in a net, not breaking free?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tylana posted:

Is there any info on what Possessed does to undead by the way? Or a reason why sometimes AI just sits there in a net, not breaking free?

I think Possessed gives them a lot more AP, I've seen weidergangers who are possessed attacking three or four times while others attack just once.

The net thing, are you sure it isn't just them trying and failing to break out?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

140 fatigue would put you at 70 in 300/300 gear assuming brawny with swings costing 15/30 respectively with flail spec. Some solid fatigue reduction uniques could make that viable but you'll probably still want recover for long fights. Note, I've run it and man-splitter builds before and the chain ultimately kind of sucks - just doesn't bring enough utility to offset its poor damage, accuracy, and the opportunity cost of the well-stat'd bro. Stun chance on thresh is only 20% and damage is pretty low. You really only end up stunning people who you'd probably one-shot with an area attack on an axe or greatsword. For unstunnable stuff, a regular T3 flail is nearly as good for damaging past shields (and can do headshots) and the other two handers are more useful in formation fighting, swing patterns, damage, and utility. For stuff you really want to stun, the 30% chance on the normal hit is not reliable enough and a mace makes a lot more sense.

By all means, try it out, but don't get your hopes up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Possession definitely either adds more AP or lowers the AP cost of actions. This is why you want to spearwall on turn one against necromancer-led hordes, at least in the general vicinity of the possessed creature.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So is man splitter better?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

So is man splitter better?

Man splitter is legit good, but it's even more fatigue intensive. You're likely to find a unique great axe that's almost as good before you find a bro capable of running one in heavy armor. That said, it's still not going to be as useful against endgame stuff as a solid greatsword or hammer user. You can take a guy with good stats and no iron lung and throw him in lighter uniques with one and he'll still be amazingly effective against wiederganger herds and other squishy poo poo that won't be able to get past your 80+ defense from reach advantage+round swing. Here's a few examples with a bro that has been leveled for 2 hand endgame use:

Naked:

Light unique armor plus man splitter

Heavy unique armor plus great axe

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tias posted:

Possession definitely either adds more AP or lowers the AP cost of actions. This is why you want to spearwall on turn one against necromancer-led hordes, at least in the general vicinity of the possessed creature.

How far can these fuckers run? Five tiles? I know normal zombies are three tiles (on good terrain), or one tile and an attack.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oh geez. I just met Necrosavants. Both times in packs of 6 both times reloaded. Ended up canceling a 'Get this relic' quest because the ruins said hemovores.

Also, goblin wolfriders seem to have some armour piercing/ignoring boost? My lvl 6 longaxe guy got slotted while still having like 60~70% of his armour intact but the attack icon looked like the cruel falchion slash? Perm injury of -30% attacks skills and melee def means he's basically as good at dead regardless. Was just an early brawler I picked up so wondering if I should roll with it and hire a replacement now I've got good money and such.

EDIT : Any opinions on training hall buffs?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
training hall doesn't have enough of an effect to really be worth it imo. it's useful for bringing newbies up to speed with an established company but not helpful otherwise.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

The Undead Scourge has been tough on the company. For a while I was acing every contract, but a skeleton phalanxes have taken down some of my best men. The Unfortunate Sons successfully held off an undead siege at the northern town of Bramming, but I lost even more men and the company's armour is heavily damaged. I then took an ill-advised expedition mission which drained even more supplies- and I didn't find the target, ended up abandoning the contract. I'm low on cash and at zero tools, but the last 3 settlements I've checked have had no tools at all. I feel like I might be entering a death spiral here, but I'd like to at least win the scourge before retiring the company.

So Wenzel is now a drunk in addition to being a dastard and hesistant. He's also one of my highest ranked troops.

Edit: Just had an extremely fun fight against a necromancer army. 4 Gheists, roughly 20 zombies and the Necro himself. Several people nearly died and several more ended the battle running around with broken morale, but it ended with my exhausted bros rallying and charging uphill to confront the necromancer, who was impaled on the company's battle standard in the very final strike of the fight.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 30, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

How far can these fuckers run? Five tiles? I know normal zombies are three tiles (on good terrain), or one tile and an attack.

Well, I advance as well, 2 tiles and then spearwall, I'm kinda impatient when it comes to getting stuck in.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Nearly all my necromancer fights have been in forests recently. Much more tactically interesting, but makes finding a route to the man in black a lot harder.

Also, d'oh. The "Find some named gear" ambition I misread and picked as I have some. The one I chose is have a full set. Weep. Also named throwing axes. Whoopie.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 30, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The undead crisis is just a nightmare once you get past the first set of events. Nothing quite like having 12+ Honor Guards as a standard encounter and then when it comes to the loving village defense missions, watching as the militia prove almost as much of an issue as the actual enemies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The long dead are the one thing I would like to mod out of the game, they're just not very much fun to engage with. Seems like you could rework them into a disciplined human army with similar tactics, but without the resistance to ranged attacks and infinite fatigue which makes them so frustrating to deal with.

The other undead forces are much more fun to fight even if they share some traits.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, give me zombies and fallen heroes any day of the week.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
You guys weren't kidding about warscythes. I got one super early in my new campaign and it's amazing. I had an awesome start as well. My first hire was an 85 gold refugee with survivor and 3 stars in melee attack. And the town the starting quest sent me to had a leatherworker, so I was able to get 4 sets of the padded leather armour (the stuff that has 90 armour points) right off the bat. Did wonders for my early game, as did the fact that I barely saw any bandit marksmen for the first 15 days or so.

The last game I ended up retiring after a run-in with some bounty hunters wiped out my entire company. Those guys don't mess around. Their dagger guy killed someone every other round or so. Makes me really want to try out a dagger-bro, but I haven't found a good candidate yet.

Also I found an interesting new result in the filly-fiddler event. I tried to cut him down, but he fell and broke his neck. Uh, oops.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah finding a leather tanner early on is extremely helpful, especially if it's at a farming town or something. A brother with 300 gold worth of leather armour protecting him can take a huge amount more punishment than one with just a crappy tunic and hood.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

RabidWeasel posted:

The long dead are the one thing I would like to mod out of the game, they're just not very much fun to engage with. Seems like you could rework them into a disciplined human army with similar tactics, but without the resistance to ranged attacks and infinite fatigue which makes them so frustrating to deal with.

The other undead forces are much more fun to fight even if they share some traits.

Noble house armies are functionally that human army you speak of, their tactics are very similar, with the addition of a ranged component. They're varied enough to be much more interesting.

I do agree that ancient dead are not very fun, but the issue is mainly that they're so drat one-dimensional. They have little variety in their ranks and one single tactic they use regardless of context, and any battle becomes essentially implementing a solved puzzle as you find the Correct solution to crack their nigh-impenetrable defenses open and devastate the rear line. Either you field the hard counter that trivializes them (axe+hammer+two-hander teams) or struggle terribly trying to fight them with an all-rounder team. Of course, all enemies in the game have various counters, but none of them are as binary as the ancient dead, there's just too many parts of the game they throw out the window.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've not seen nobles pull the same "all shield wall all the time" trick, though that's probably more because they have more unit types.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

I've not seen nobles pull the same "all shield wall all the time" trick, though that's probably more because they have more unit types.

That is more because they have to worry about fatigue unlike the ancient dead. Also I wish that finding caster enemies ensured more rewarding loot. The presence of a caster makes the battle so much more frustrating but offers no reward for beating them as the only unique drop from them is a functionally useless mace.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Things I find out today. Trading caravans follow roads, even if it's through an area you are hostile with due to nobles warrings. This means a lot of being attacked that could be avoided if they just used the ford that is also 1/6th the length of route.

Also, fighting with your pants down hurts.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Blisster posted:

You guys weren't kidding about warscythes. I got one super early in my new campaign and it's amazing. I had an awesome start as well. My first hire was an 85 gold refugee with survivor and 3 stars in melee attack. And the town the starting quest sent me to had a leatherworker, so I was able to get 4 sets of the padded leather armour (the stuff that has 90 armour points) right off the bat. Did wonders for my early game, as did the fact that I barely saw any bandit marksmen for the first 15 days or so.

The last game I ended up retiring after a run-in with some bounty hunters wiped out my entire company. Those guys don't mess around. Their dagger guy killed someone every other round or so. Makes me really want to try out a dagger-bro, but I haven't found a good candidate yet.

Also I found an interesting new result in the filly-fiddler event. I tried to cut him down, but he fell and broke his neck. Uh, oops.

I just saw what happens if you have a flagellant in your party :stare:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm so sad about warscythes. I had one once, and it was amazing and the best. It broke in a fight because i wasn't really watching its durability and now I don't have any. I'm just wrapping up the noble civil war after having already done the undead uprising, so I'm not sure that there are more on the way. Maybe I need to just go wandering the wilderness for uniques and hope that there are some high level undead out there.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

I'm so sad about warscythes. I had one once, and it was amazing and the best. It broke in a fight because i wasn't really watching its durability and now I don't have any. I'm just wrapping up the noble civil war after having already done the undead uprising, so I'm not sure that there are more on the way. Maybe I need to just go wandering the wilderness for uniques and hope that there are some high level undead out there.

As long as you are fighting Honor Guards then you will be able to find more warscythes.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I've had one tavern tell me there's a bandit camp on the plains to the northeast. Another gave me the same message, except said northwest, so I've been over every plains hex I can find north and between the two, and I can't find it. Do tavern rumors lie? Or tell you the wrong enemy type?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how are you supposed to deal with the Black Monolith without just cycle retreating?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think I won Battle Brothers :toot:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BurningStone posted:

I've had one tavern tell me there's a bandit camp on the plains to the northeast. Another gave me the same message, except said northwest, so I've been over every plains hex I can find north and between the two, and I can't find it. Do tavern rumors lie? Or tell you the wrong enemy type?

If you get a clue for a bandit camp it can also be referring to an undead camp that should be full of zombies. I think the idea is that the zombies are the former bandits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think I won Battle Brothers :toot:

<-- so jelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Those wolf head uniques are amazing for ranged guys with good vision.