Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I liked TDM when there were server passwords so that scrubs wouldn't come in and ruin the game by being poo poo.

Also, elitism is a problem in the quake scene and definitely turns off new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MysteriousStranger posted:

that you'd have to have something physically and mentally wrong with you not to land the shots.

I get that this is a touch of hyperbole, but it gets real old seeing nerds equate being bad at video games with having a physical or mental disability. Believe it or not games are mainstream and there are lots of people out there giving it a try who haven't built up a near lifetime of muscle memory for the hand eye coordination.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Maluco Marinero posted:

I get that this is a touch of hyperbole, but it gets real old seeing nerds equate being bad at video games with having a physical or mental disability. Believe it or not games are mainstream and there are lots of people out there giving it a try who haven't built up a near lifetime of muscle memory for the hand eye coordination.

Clicking mans in Overwatch is easier than clicking mans in just about every other FPS. The only way you could be bad at it is if you are drunk off your rear end or are sitting there with a cast on your hand or a sprained hand.

As someone who often plays games drunk I stand by this.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't see how it's any easier to hitscan in OW than in any other game other than some of the characters have bigger hotboxes.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

fadam posted:

I don't see how it's any easier to hitscan in OW than in any other game other than some of the characters have bigger hotboxes.

Bigger hit boxes, much slower character speed in general, low amount of z axis gameplay.

I'm not saying it's a "bad" thing. It's just designed from the ground up to make clicking mans as easy as possible and then toss out a "press button to win and have your turn in the spot light" every couple moments.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fadam posted:

Most fps has server side hit arbitration. OW judges a hit based on the shooter's pov in most cases, meaning that evasive action is less useful because regardless of ping, if the shooter sees a good shot, then it's a good shot.

There are a few exceptions, as ultimates and some abilities override this.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

A.o.D. posted:

Most fps has server side hit arbitration. OW judges a hit based on the shooter's pov in most cases, meaning that evasive action is less useful because regardless of ping, if the shooter sees a good shot, then it's a good shot.

That's not technically an issue with whether the client or the server does it, since the server can simply perform the calculation from the POV of the shooter (this is what QC does as I understand it). It's effectively the same as OW's "favor the shooter" behavior. The following excerpt of this video shows how it works as of Aug 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTXGJDQjW_Q&t=348s

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Question for Quake vets: How does this compare to Quake Live? I haven't had much luck finding representative gameplay videos from players who aren't borderline retarded so I can't tell how it actually flows. All footage I've seen make it look way slower than QL.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Here's the duel grand final from Quakecon last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NR3WndytA

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MysteriousStranger posted:

This is true in most team games. Though over watch has the problem of being so simple and so slow it is impossible actually miss people. I've never played a game where clicking on heads was so easy that you'd have to have something physically and mentally wrong with you not to land the shots.
ok but as a counterpoint OW has no movement momentum whatsoever unlike every other modern shooter so if someone just goes adadadaadaddadddada hitting them involves a lot of luck. you also used to be able to crouch spam like crazy at the same time.

(this is not a post in favor of overwatch.)

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

ok but as a counterpoint OW has no movement momentum whatsoever unlike every other modern shooter so if someone just goes adadadaadaddadddada hitting them involves a lot of luck. you also used to be able to crouch spam like crazy at the same time.

(this is not a post in favor of overwatch.)

That's something that UT had and that movement strategy never really worked against people who could actually aim. That's the sort of thing that's always been highly dependent on netcode, ping, and counting on your opponent not knowing how to counter it. Stutter stepping isn't really anything new, it's as old as circle strafing and goes back to Doom 2 DM. It's pretty much FPS footwork 101.

EDIT- note I'm not slamming the start. It's just not an OW thing and it's still vastly easier to land those hits in OW than it is in say UT99 or UT2004 which also give the players even more movement options to jook your aim off.

The Joe Man posted:

Question for Quake vets: How does this compare to Quake Live? I haven't had much luck finding representative gameplay videos from players who aren't borderline retarded so I can't tell how it actually flows. All footage I've seen make it look way slower than QL.

Watch the Quakecon vids. Even some of the heavy characters can move shockingly fast if you know what you are doing. Almost every character has some sort of jump or momentum based ability as well. It can get as fast as CPMA or even Quake World if the players know what they are doing and are picking the right characters. The only "slow" characters are really Galena and BJ. Everyone else has some sort of movement trick up their sleeve that makes them shockingly agile.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

:agreed:

I personally don't like Overwatch either but there ain't nothing wrong with games designed to be accessible/inclusive/casual/whatever. Getting more people into gaming so it's not just a bunch of turbonerds is cool and good.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

You just know the people saying how easy overwatch is are bronze or silver players :jerkbag:

Fake edit - if only QC had some sort of known ranking system for it's MMR.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, I'd agree that it's generally easier to click mans in OW but the gameplay is really different and overall both are just as "easy" because the matchmaker matches you up with people of the same skill level. Either way - unless you're literally in the top or bottom 1% of players - you have a roughly 1/n chance of winning, where n is the number of teams.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Hell, if saying Overwatch is easy makes me bronze, then bronze I am.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

cougar cub posted:

You just know the people saying how easy overwatch is are bronze or silver players :jerkbag:

Fake edit - if only QC had some sort of known ranking system for it's MMR.

I'm not sure those sorts of ranking systems are good. See all the pillow biting in OW even though that system is rigged to make you seem better at shootmans than you actually are because people didn't get diamond or landed up in gold. And then the gnashing of teeth "I'm not gold it's my teammates fault". Match making is good, stats are good, ranking systems lead to idiocy. Besides I'm old enough to still have the mind set that really only LAN level wins count, and the only online wins worth talking about are from ladders or events.

FWIW the MMR as it is does get pretty good. You don't see that many one sided slaughters and those that do happen generally involve a name you can recognize like thump4 or mackaveli.

Also custom games are pretty good and often the way to go. It's not hard to pull people out of the global chat and go off for a few rounds.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
It's actually pretty surprising seeing a giant robot like Clutch moving around faster than BJ Blazko, a man capable of mouse moving through Wolf 3D at lightning speed.

The cast could use some more variation in the future. The cast is a bit small.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Oh goodness, I picked up a lore scroll and it's for a char I won't ever play.

That's a lil steamin. I want doom guy set!!! Oh well, maybe next year.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What's a more effective way of strafe jumping? I can get up to 500ish on QL, but I still don't know how people can get up to 600+ from their second jump. Is it related to mouse sensitivity, frame rate or both?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What's a more effective way of strafe jumping? I can get up to 500ish on QL, but I still don't know how people can get up to 600+ from their second jump. Is it related to mouse sensitivity, frame rate or both?
Neither, unless your sensitivity is so high you can't do smooth controlled turns. Maybe if your FPS is below the game tick rate you start losing out? But I just went from not having a dedicated GPU to having one and it doesn't feel like it affected my ability to accelerate. May be some weird poo poo in QC I don't know about, though.

The way to start fast is to circle jump, strafe jumping accelerates you in the air but moving in a circle (forward + strafe while turning in direction of strafe) makes you move faster on the ground. I think 320ups characters like ranger can make it to 400+ without leaving the ground. Make sure your circle jump is sound before worrying about strafe intricacies, it's the most important part of going fast and you should be doing it all the time.

There's a moving target you want to aim for that gets further from your line of motion the faster you go. For maximum velocity in a particular direction you wiggle around "forward" but never rest there (until you hit speed cap). Advanced strafe jumping is having more than 1 beat per jump (alternating 3 or 4 times) and is hardly ever useful while in a match unless you are trying to beeline uncontested to an objective (or now maybe away from Nyx).

There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, but all the tutorials and descriptions in the world aren't worth 2 hours beating your head against the start of a defrag map.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What did I miss out on by unlocking a champion before buying the champion pack, some shards?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Pretty much. It comes in as a duplicate item when you open a box and you get shards for it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New AMA from the devs. It goes deep into netcode stuff, so it's worth a read. There's also mentions of upcoming champions, features and CTF mode.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

A grapple character and CTF, why don't we get less original and stale?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They didn't say CTF was coming, they said they enjoyed CTF answering the question about grapples. I think they're all in on Sacrifice as their competitive team mode.

No word on the single most important aspect holding the game back: option to fix the clock to countdown in the traditional and therefore best fashion

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kaschei posted:

They didn't say CTF was coming

THE AMA posted:

We just announced that we will be adding CTF. We are currently working on the designs to ensure that it plays the best possible way it can in Quake Champions.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
CTF is better than the skull thing imo. Also I hope they add the grappling hook so I can bind mouse2 +hook and hide on that roof corner platform in q2ctf1

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They confirmed CTF a bit ago. Doesn't mean they won't stop pushing sacrifice as something that anyone cares about.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

cougar cub posted:

A grapple character and CTF, why don't we get less original and stale?

I'm coming into the game from a fighting game background and I always use grapplers, but I don't know how this would even work in a FPS. I would've figured Clutch would fit the archytype perfectly, but he breaks the rules for a big character.

Edit: unless the AMA meant 'grappling hook' then ignore what I said.

kaschei posted:

Neither, unless your sensitivity is so high you can't do smooth controlled turns. Maybe if your FPS is below the game tick rate you start losing out? But I just went from not having a dedicated GPU to having one and it doesn't feel like it affected my ability to accelerate. May be some weird poo poo in QC I don't know about, though.

The way to start fast is to circle jump, strafe jumping accelerates you in the air but moving in a circle (forward + strafe while turning in direction of strafe) makes you move faster on the ground. I think 320ups characters like ranger can make it to 400+ without leaving the ground. Make sure your circle jump is sound before worrying about strafe intricacies, it's the most important part of going fast and you should be doing it all the time.

There's a moving target you want to aim for that gets further from your line of motion the faster you go. For maximum velocity in a particular direction you wiggle around "forward" but never rest there (until you hit speed cap). Advanced strafe jumping is having more than 1 beat per jump (alternating 3 or 4 times) and is hardly ever useful while in a match unless you are trying to beeline uncontested to an objective (or now maybe away from Nyx).

There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, but all the tutorials and descriptions in the world aren't worth 2 hours beating your head against the start of a defrag map.

That did it. Not sure why non of the YT tutorials couldn't explain the process properly. The official QL one even worse.

Getting +400 from the first jump now, thanks a lot :hfive:

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 2, 2017

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm coming into the game from a fighting game background and I always use grapplers, but I don't know how this would even work in a FPS. I would've figured Clutch would fit the archytype perfectly, but he breaks the rules for a big character.

Edit: unless the AMA meant 'grappling hook' then ignore what I said.

That did it. Not sure why non of the YT tutorials couldn't explain the process properly. The official QL one even worse.

Getting +400 from the first jump now, thanks a lot :hfive:

Yeah, it's a grappling hook not a buff Russian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZcaHIrbNI

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I just spent 10 minutes in the queue to find a game :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/SyncError/status/903991531467624448

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for ruining any chance QC had with your stupid ideas syncerror.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think qc is fun

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

I just spent 10 minutes in the queue to find a game :v:

NA? Eastern Europe is only one minute max for any mode. I thought more people were going to be online after Steam release.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
It has to be McKinley (q2ctf1) so that our fellow goon Zoid can get the royalties. (e: that's probably not how it works actually)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

cougar cub posted:

Yeah, it's a grappling hook not a buff Russian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZcaHIrbNI

I would've liked a grapple hook wielding buff Russian flying across tunnels as a character.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Q23wctf was totally my poo poo. Shout out to all the old men in here that knows what voosh means.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there a way to switch to steam after getting the champions pack another way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

kaschei posted:

Is there a way to switch to steam after getting the champions pack another way?

Don't think so, no. I guess once it goes free to play on Steam you can download it there and keep everything from your Bethesda account.