Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Is CaH really elegant, or just simple?

Because Apples to Apples doesn't seem elegant to me.

Edit: And of course I'm on top of the page with no context. Personally, I prefer fiddly games to elegant games, but that's because I actually like doing the between turns upkeep whenever I'm playing games (except Agricola for whatever reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

LuiCypher posted:

One consistent theme that's emerging is that fiddly is used in a somewhat derogatory fashion, while elegant is usually a compliment.

However, there are exceptions to every rule - I would claim that Space Alert is actually quite a fiddly game (there are a lot of bits and bobs to track) but the hilarious part is - you don't actually need to move/use any of it during active play (although you should), you only have to as part of resolving all of your actions. This usually means that during all of your screaming and flailing, somebody kept firing the guns well past empty, someone kept funneling energy into the furnace without transferring power, no one stopped the screen saver from turning on, and one of you couldn't stop staring out into space until you got to meet it face-to-face. Space Alert deliberately makes fiddliness part of the game loop and winds up succeeding.

In contrast, I'm having a rough go trying to think of an 'elegant' game that's actually bad, because the term itself is loaded with positive connotations and NOBODY IS HELPING by continuing to layer on positive/complimentary meanings.

Yeah, there are lots of games (mostly real time and dexterity based) that use fiddly mechanics as their basis. Captain Sonar is sorta under this umbrella as well.

OmegaGoo posted:

Is CaH really elegant, or just simple?

Because Apples to Apples doesn't seem elegant to me.

Agreed, elegance is conveying a lot of mechanics or ideas in a straightforward and easily flowing manner. I'm having a hard time thinking of "bad" games that are also elegant.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed, elegance is conveying a lot of mechanics or ideas in a straightforward and easily flowing manner. I'm having a hard time thinking of "bad" games that are also elegant.

Tsuro?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Caedar posted:

Anyone in here play Spirit Island yet? A heavy coop game with simultaneous actions? Looks intriguing!

I have not played Spirit Island yet. However, the person in our group who hates co-op games has played it and quite enjoyed it, which I consider to be a recommendation.

He's a bit of an odd fish. He hates direct conflict games but likes Adrenaline (and actually house ruled it to allow stealing weapons from other players), he hates dudes on a map but likes Hyperborea. On the other hand, he refuses to play blinged games even if they're in his wheelhouse like Anachrony.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

But Tsuro isn't bad. It's just boring. There are choices with a minimal amount of randomness and players have agency. I can't ask for too much more from a board game, except for an actually engagement experience.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

rchandra posted:

Absolutely fantastic with 2 players. My friend who owns it likes it solo as well, I'm not sure I would. 3+ makes planning/downtime worse (since if you don't talk/plan, you'll and up overlapping and wasting turns. Perfect planning is not needed, and you'll want to use flexible abilities anyway and decide what to do with them later, but still). There's so much variability in player choice, powers gained, and difficulty/scenarios. The expansion might be essential (like Mage Knight's)?

My favourite story from the game so far: The foreigners came by to visit, making sure to stay away from our sacred sites. They built up a giant metropolis. So we said 'actually that's now a very very very sacred site, sorry' and told all the natives to rush in and sack it. I think in that game we were the villains!

In another game, we were robbed of the chance to win by sinking the island when an animal destroyed the last invader town (to win that way).

I feel like Cast Down destroying the island really should be a loss rather than a win. It's not like there's anything left in your sacrifice victory for ya...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Neither of the Horror games would work for my cousin. That's what I was thinking of. Games where the mechanics take a back seat to the theme. I'm wondering though if the theme of Trickerion would be enough for her to accept its fiddly-ness. They are doing a 101 for it tomorrow.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lorini posted:

Any recommendations for my Phd holding cousin who wants to get into the hobby? No party games, thematic games or mean games like Ticket to Ride. Looking for something challenging but not overwhelming, preferably not longer than an hour-hour and a half.

This is a tough ask. Essentially what we need is a lighter side of middleweight game that is still graspable by a very smart person who is not a gamer that is encouraging instead of discouraging. This probably disqualifies worker placement games because of the "I got there first" element. Also, abstracts are probably out because those are usually very skill dependent. I went and looked at top games and top strategy games on BGG and so many of them are either too mean or too hard (or are Star Realms).

I feel like I mention it a lot, but Concordia might fit the bill. It's certainly simple, meaty enough but not mean. San Juan might be too light, but it has tactics without the "drat I couldn't do what I wanted" as much as some other things. And, as much as I am loathe to suggest it because this game is wretched despite its massive popularity, this might actually be a good place to crack out Innovation. Also, seconding Dominion because yup.

Also I'm with you 100% on TtR being mean, and even though I know nothing else about this person I bet any educator would love Codenames to pieces.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

But Tsuro isn't bad. It's just boring. There are choices with a minimal amount of randomness and players have agency. I can't ask for too much more from a board game, except for an actually engagement experience.

Tsuro is my "Let's keep our hands busy while we catch up!" game. It's the beer and pretzels game of beer and pretzels games. That's one of the reasons why I never really understood why Tsuro of the Seas exists - the last thing Tsuro really needed was an actual game part to it

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Race to the Galaxy a possibility?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Race to the Galaxy a possibility?

The symbology in Race can be intimidating, but otherwise I'd agree. Not a "mean" game at all, and lots to chew over if you're new to it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

TotalHell posted:

The symbology in Race can be intimidating, but otherwise I'd agree. Not a "mean" game at all, and lots to chew over if you're new to it.

Yeah it'll be in the mix.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FunkMonkey posted:

Checkers is truly the game of kings, and I pity anyone who believes otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8lyda_ZkLQ

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Are there any Dominion expansions that I should stay away from or are they all pretty good?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

Are there any Dominion expansions that I should stay away from or are they all pretty good?

They are all pretty good, but Alchemy is by far the least pretty good.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I think it's still common wisdom to recommend them in publication order, but skip Alchemy. And feel free to skip around if one catches your eye. I'd also skip Intrigue and convince a friend to buy it and share with you instead (since it is playable standalone), if the opportunity presents and you aren't a completionist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Adventures, Dark Ages, and Empires add the most new mechanics to the game and make for a pretty dramatically different experience. They're my favorites for that reason.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Adventures, Dark Ages, and Empires add the most new mechanics to the game and make for a pretty dramatically different experience. They're my favorites for that reason.

Of note that Dark Ages is one you might want to avoid for now. It tends to be more aggressive and stressful. I'd recommend saving it for later.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

timely video from SUSD on First Martians, the fiddliest game that ever fiddlied:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w0MmgJLA3o

took him multiple hours to learn, not recommended, despite liking it 50% of the time

"Imagine The Martian with Matt Damon, but instead of growing potatoes, he was a potato." The app stuff makes me irrationally angry.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 2, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Played codenames for the first time tonight, with 3p total. It's like a weird Taboo variant, but was really great even with possibly the worst number of people I can imagine. Hope this helps.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

timely video from SUSD on First Martians, the fiddliest game that ever fiddlied:

took him multiple hours to learn, not recommended, despite liking it 50% of the time

"Imagine The Martian with Matt Damon, but instead of growing potatoes, he was a potato." The app stuff makes me irrationally angry.

That, right there, is peak Ignacy T.

Took a game people found tricky to learn and obtuse (Robinson Crusoe) and made it even more complicated, more obtuse and less evocative.

The more and more of his stuff I play, the more 51st State looks like a complete fluke. Even then, when he tried to make a more friendly version of that, he hosed it up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bottom Liner posted:

What a fantastic example of how making a complex game is easy, making a simple game is hard. Quinns spends ages describing bad game design deal breakers, and then goes "But I did have fun!"

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Any opinions on the old DoW game Colosseum?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Big McHuge posted:

Any opinions on the old DoW game Colosseum?

Bloody great. Even greater if you can get the original version, and not the hideous 'facelift' that they gave the reprint.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Lord of Hats posted:

What a fantastic example of how making a complex game is easy, making a simple game is hard. Quinns spends ages describing bad game design deal breakers, and then goes "But I did have fun!"

It was more "I had fun when I was actually engaging the game's mechanics, which was an embarrassingly small amount of the time I spent with the game in front of me," and I think that's totally fair. Board games aren't video games (even ones with loving apps lol), bookkeeping and handling the logistics of play is a big part of the actual experience and a game with a shitload of that where the reward is only a decent time probably deserves to be panned.

I'm sure some of it is just that they want to remain professional and Quinns in particular has made it clear that he views board games as rather pure examples of artistic expression and as an artist himself probably sees it as bad form to just say "this art sucks" rather than a more nuanced "this art is flawed but still has some merit".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Countblanc posted:

It was more "I had fun when I was actually engaging the game's mechanics, which was an embarrassingly small amount of the time I spent with the game in front of me," and I think that's totally fair. Board games aren't video games (even ones with loving apps lol), bookkeeping and handling the logistics of play is a big part of the actual experience and a game with a shitload of that where the reward is only a decent time probably deserves to be panned.

I'm sure some of it is just that they want to remain professional and Quinns in particular has made it clear that he views board games as rather pure examples of artistic expression and as an artist himself probably sees it as bad form to just say "this art sucks" rather than a more nuanced "this art is flawed but still has some merit".

Yeah, that's not meant to be an indictment of Quinns, it's more to point out that if you keep piling stuff on you'll probably have a few good nuggets in there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played Arkwright's spinning Jenny tonight. Oh my god this game is amazing. Didn't realize that 3 and a half hours had passed. Can't wait until we get the full 6-hour experience. :peanut:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CSI has Marco Polo in stock. I rank it in my top 5 mid-ish Euros. Get it before it's gone again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is not satire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjMkj_YjToI

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Getting closer and closer to living the forbidden joke.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Working with my father is fantastic. Every day I think, how can we milk this cow for another 25 years. Suckers.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Andarel posted:

I feel like Cast Down destroying the island really should be a loss rather than a win. It's not like there's anything left in your sacrifice victory for ya...

We were only sinking the bad half! The other side was going to be a paradise, with no explorers or blight at all.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

The End posted:

That, right there, is peak Ignacy T.

Took a game people found tricky to learn and obtuse (Robinson Crusoe) and made it even more complicated, more obtuse and less evocative.

The more and more of his stuff I play, the more 51st State looks like a complete fluke. Even then, when he tried to make a more friendly version of that, he hosed it up.

Ignacy cut his design teeth making RPGs and trust me, you're all far, far away from experiencing Peak Trzewiczek.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Played Arkwright's spinning Jenny tonight. Oh my god this game is amazing. Didn't realize that 3 and a half hours had passed. Can't wait until we get the full 6-hour experience. :peanut:

How the hell did you take 3.5 hours to play Spinning Jenny? Even 4P there's only 12 actions per player and no events. I've played it 2P with a newbie who'd never played anything so heavy before and got it done in 1h20 including setup, breakdown and teaching.

Spinning Jenny should be 30m/player and Water Frame 60m/player.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bottom Liner posted:

All I can think after viewing that video is that 1 in 8 males are color blind and they picked red/green plastic cubes to represent the game state

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

please knock Mom! posted:

All I can think after viewing that video is that 1 in 8 males are color blind and they picked red/green plastic cubes to represent the game state

Meeple Like Us do accessibility takedowns of games looking at things like that. It's pretty eye-opening.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think it's still common wisdom to recommend them in publication order, but skip Alchemy. And feel free to skip around if one catches your eye. I'd also skip Intrigue and convince a friend to buy it and share with you instead (since it is playable standalone), if the opportunity presents and you aren't a completionist.

Intrigue is no longer a standalone box. The 2e box removed the base cards.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Meeple Like Us do accessibility takedowns of games looking at things like that. It's pretty eye-opening.

I'm pretty severely colorblind and there's a few games I legit don't play because of it, pretty lame, would not recommend.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Price per player is the weirdest loving metric for economic accessibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

How the hell did you take 3.5 hours to play Spinning Jenny? Even 4P there's only 12 actions per player and no events. I've played it 2P with a newbie who'd never played anything so heavy before and got it done in 1h20 including setup, breakdown and teaching.

Spinning Jenny should be 30m/player and Water Frame 60m/player.

45-60min rules and it was late so 30-40min/player. Unless you expect everyone to read the rules beforehand on a new game?