Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

Is it common practice for a third party we use to host an external support website (these guys are pretty large too) to ask for the following?

quote:

We do not fulfill CSR requests and it should not be necessary in order to retrieve the certificate information from the provider.

For SSL renewals, please attach the following:

New SSL certificate
Respective Private KEY
Bundle (Intermediate and Root certificates)
* If a PASSWORD is required to open the .ZIP file, please make sure you enclose it in a .txt document.

Please do not email the files. Please attach the files to the case in one of the following formats only: .txt or .pem format.
Doesn't sending the private keys to someone that didn't generate them defeat one of the basic points of a loving private key? :confused:
e: nvm I misread that. but they're being stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

Doesn't sending the private keys to someone that didn't generate them defeat one of the basic points of a loving private key? :confused:

Yes, it does.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It makes more sense when they can't generate a CSR. Either they are incapable of doing so, or they don't know how. :sever:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

It makes more sense when they can't generate a CSR. Either they are incapable of doing so, or they don't know how. :sever:

If someone tells me they can't generate a CSR, after I giggle arrogantly I usually just link them the google results for certutil or openssl or whatever, because jesus christ it's 2017 and still no one knows what a certificate is or how they work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

If someone tells me they can't generate a CSR, after I giggle arrogantly I usually just link them the google results for certutil or openssl or whatever, because jesus christ it's 2017 and still no one knows what a certificate is or how they work
I had to argue with a guy about using 1024-bit keys not too long ago, and now I'm having the argument with him that 7zip 9.20 DLLs on a public share isn't a security risk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I had to argue with a guy about using 1024-bit keys not too long ago, and now I'm having the argument with him that 7zip 9.20 DLLs on a public share isn't a security risk.

:stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Our industry is quite literally a hopeless endeavour

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Certified Information Systems Sisyphus Professional

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Phasing out 3DES is going to be a huge PITA since its the last symm cipher XP/2003 and older systems have left and the world is going to scream murder over it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Phasing out 3DES is going to be a huge PITA since its the last symm cipher XP/2003 and older systems have left and the world is going to scream murder over it.

It will be painful, but it will also be glorious.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ugh you'd think those nintendo scientists would be better at math

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Contracted out some work to a developer. I'm not sure they entirely understand how to use SSH, and then they were complaining they couldn't connect to our server to transfer some files.

sshd[7666]: fatal: Unable to negotiate with x.x.x.x port x: no matching cipher found. Their offer: 3des-cbc,arcfour,cast128-cbc,twofish-cbc,blowfish-cbc,twofish128-cbc,aes128-cbc,aes256-cbc [preauth]

Software they are trying to use (CuteFTP I think) is so outdated all of the ciphers are disabled by default in Ubuntu 16.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Reading cissp material is enough to make me want to off myself out of boredom. Why am I doing this.

Just spent the past couple months doing a few ITIL and PRINCE2 certs, and I can't even find the right words to describe how awful it was. Nothing I've done before even comes close to the level of pain it caused me to sit through hours and hours and hours of boring lectures. I can barely make it through a page of the official manuals without my brain just disengaging from my eyes. ITIL was the worst, at least PRINCE2 had some useful information, and even drank a bit of the PRINCE2 kool-aid and could see myself applying parts of it pretty regularly in the future.

Sure makes the AWS training I'm doing now about a billion times more enjoyable, now that I know how bad things can be.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Cowboy Mark posted:

Contracted out some work to a developer. I'm not sure they entirely understand how to use SSH, and then they were complaining they couldn't connect to our server to transfer some files.

A long while ago, I set up a dev environment on digital ocean for some subcontractors to work with. They had no sort of pki in place, and no real idea how to do it, so I cut them a working key under a new root, delivered it by hand, and showed them how to use it with putty.

3AM, I get a message from DO saying that the server is racking up abuse complaints. The only thought I had was that the subcontractor must be breached. Lo, that's how those dudes found out that they had been hosed for awhile.

I was glad we didn't give them direct access to our poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cowboy Mark posted:

Software they are trying to use (CuteFTP I think) is so outdated all of the ciphers are disabled by default in Ubuntu 16.
Is Ubuntu 16s stance that outdated software shouldn't have any of what they deem insecure ciphers and send everything in plaintext, rather than at least trying, even if a cipher has theoretical attacks which have as-yet proven unpractical except for some side-channel attacks that require user priviledge? That doesn't seem very useful for production.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

quote:

and send everything in plaintext, rather than at least trying,

That's not how SSH works at all

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Ubuntu sacrifices practicality for security :thunk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The stance is "upgrade your old poo poo"

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rufus Ping posted:

That's not how SSH works at all

How to recompile sshd to be able to support cipher "none"

dont do this

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My apologies, I misread it. Thought it was about an outdated ftp client not sshd. Although it's technically possible to send files over ssh, it's a lot easier to use scp.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

EVIL Gibson posted:

dont do this

This is the abyss

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

D. Ebdrup posted:

My apologies, I misread it. Thought it was about an outdated ftp client not sshd. Although it's technically possible to send files over ssh, it's a lot easier to use scp.

scp is ssh. That is HOW you send files over ssh in a unix to unix transfer. For sending from a windows box sftp is usually easier to get going, in so far as modern ftp clients will automagically use it if you tell them to connect on port 22 instead of 21.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

RFC2324 posted:

scp is ssh. That is HOW you send files over ssh in a unix to unix transfer. For sending from a windows box sftp is usually easier to get going, in so far as modern ftp clients will automagically use it if you tell them to connect on port 22 instead of 21.

C'mon y'all, let's have arguments over which secure ftp to use: SFTP or FTPS .

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why not SFTPS?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EVIL Gibson posted:

C'mon y'all, let's have arguments over which secure ftp to use: SFTP or FTPS .

sftp. That way you don't have to deal with loving SSL certs in a way that was never intended.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

sftp. That way you don't have to deal with loving SSL certs in a way that was never intended.
There's no other side to this argument.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you use FTPS I'm going to judge you then mock you then disregard your opinion on anything else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I've been running FreeBSD on my workstation since 2001, and in a professional capacity since ~2006 - not only am I aware of how the two are related, but because I'm a sucker for historical computing I even know that it's at least partly inspired by rcp on 4.2BSD thats still part of the rcmd tools (which've recently been flagged to be deprecated), which in turn were probably inspired by uucp from UNIX/32V.
I was talking about piping standard streams through ssh, like you do with zfs send | receive - because I'd just been doing that to back up stuff, and it reminded me that you could theoretically do that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

I was talking about piping standard streams through ssh, like you do with zfs send | receive - because I'd just been doing that to back up stuff, and it reminded me that you could theoretically do that.
what the gently caress

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I took many a snapshot backup of a project via tar czf - dir/ | ssh host "cat > backup.tar.gz"

E: I ran a UUCP node at one point, but I don't recall a link between UUCP and the Berkeley rlogin suite. Is that based on anything other than the naming of the two commands?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 3, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

EVIL Gibson posted:

dont do this

Reminds of this load generator company that claims 200,000 TLS/sec on their datasheet. When you ask which cipher they won't tell you (I suspect it's a null cipher).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I took many a snapshot backup of a project via tar czf - dir/ | ssh host "cat > backup.tar.gz"

E: I ran a UUCP node at one point, but I don't recall a link between UUCP and the Berkeley rlogin suite. Is that based on anything other than the naming of the two commands?
You're right, I was confusing it with rmail being part of rcmd tools and somehow combining it in my head with the last paragraph in this mailing list post.

So it turns out I'm actually just a stupid-head.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

anthonypants posted:

what the gently caress

I've used this trick to run packet captures on a remote system that get routed in real time to Wireshark on my local system. SSH can be abused in all kinds of hilarious and useful ways.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

wolrah posted:

I've used this trick to run packet captures on a remote system that get routed in real time to Wireshark on my local system. SSH can be abused in all kinds of hilarious and useful ways.

Can't you load the private key in Wireshark and still decrypt it on the fly? Genuine question, as I've only done it with recorded HTTPS myself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

Can't you load the private key in Wireshark and still decrypt it on the fly? Genuine question, as I've only done it with recorded HTTPS myself.

That doesn't help with the streaming part, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Furism posted:

Like Subjunctive said I'm not capturing the SSH traffic, I'm running tcpdump on a remote system and sending the output to stdout, which gets piped over SSH to Wireshark on my local system. This me to view roughly real-time traffic captures from what might be a 400MHz ARM box with 16MB RAM and no local storage on the other side of the country.

You actually don't want to capture the SSH traffic in this case, if you do it becomes an exponential explosion as it captures its own traffic sending its own traffic back to me. It definitely happens accidentally from time to time if I botch capture filters.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 3, 2017

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

wolrah posted:

Like Subjunctive said I'm not capturing the SSH traffic, I'm running tcpdump on a remote system and sending the output to stdout, which gets piped over SSH to Wireshark on my local system. This me to view roughly real-time traffic captures from what might be a 400MHz ARM box with 16MB RAM and no local storage on the other side of the country.

You actually don't want to capture the SSH traffic in this case, if you do it becomes an exponential explosion as it captures its own traffic sending its own traffic back to me. It definitely happens accidentally from time to time if I botch capture filters.

Actually have some knowledge to help with this.

There is a person in a security group in my area that is testing running bro on a raspberry pi and he is writing an article on his experiences. He is trying to find a good way to make sure he is getting all packets and not missing any on a network constantly using 2 video streams and 5 other connections.

There is a Star Lan Tap by Michael Ossman which is a inexpensive piece of PCB with components to create a monitor port between two wires. You could Wireshark that but the lan tap is limited to 10/100 .

You can get up to gigabit using a GS105Ev2 – ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch which has mirror mode which just like a tap showing all communication while not sending anything out.

It's like 40 or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Typically when I'm doing this I'm capturing for VoIP troubleshooting purposes. All of the routers we support run some form of *nix and have tcpdump present so my trick gets me the traffic I need directly from their router's interface. I was just providing an example of interesting SSH trickery.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sending zfs bytestreams over ssh seems like a perfect piece of SSH trickery to me, if the boxes serve as backup for each other in case of catastrophic hardware failure, and both happen to run some form of ZFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sending zfs bytestreams over ssh seems like a perfect piece of SSH trickery to me, if the boxes serve as backup for each other in case of catastrophic hardware failure, and both happen to run some form of ZFS.

It seems like something that would be more efficiently solved in another way, to me. One of those 'can we do things in a sane reliable engineered way, or come up with some wacky ssh solution?' situations. For one, if those boxes server as backups for each other(you mean clustered, right?) wouldn't you want them to have a shared backing datastore?