Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

Unless FF14 turns into an SRPG I don't care

it will but it'll feel a little clunky like xcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm reading some interactive fiction and found this sequence pretty amusing:

e: The Writer Will Do Something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkBqD5_u3U

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

IT, how was the ys8 music? The track in the demo felt subpar

I don't remember any of it. Nothing like the instantly recall of the Origin tower theme, or the oath Overworld music etc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

What was the clever thing they did in dark souls that he was referring to

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I think it's the game's opening, but that's not really the point?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

ff14 is making a strong case right now, for game of the year, by making itself a sequel to fft

The game of the year for me is a 3 way tie at the moment. Hatsune Mike Project DIVA: Future Tone, Splatoon 2 and Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late[st]. I thought Tekken 7 would be up there but my fight game homies have been sticking with GG and UNIST. Also I thought Rev2 would be up there but my main got nerfed so gently caress ArcSys!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

jumping

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

If it's the opening it's 1000% the point

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I gotta have context, Strix!

I gotta know what he was even talking about because it's important!!

I've gotta know what relevant/irrelevant thing that guy was trying to claim dark souls was an example of!!!

!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Especially because nothing about dark souls is Clever, it's very earnest and open and simple, compared to most games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the way it handles its story, which is the same way king's field handled its story, so it all works out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The opening cinematic and the item descriptions are the only objective storytellers in the game, and even then only the former gives you any information about the greater context, and you don't even realize it the first time you watch it! Everything else is obfuscated by half-relevant NPC dialogue, leading to that foggy sense of direction the series is known for

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most realistic IF ever

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dad of Light is extremely good, please go watch it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Most realistic IF ever

i'm playing it now

this is cute

quote:

Six years ago Josh made Dying Gasp (Metacritic: 91), an innovative and highly influential first-person adventure game with minimal combat and poor sales. He cheerfully admits he dreamed up ShatterGate to make money. Of course, it’s not his IP — it’s the company’s. Nevertheless, he drives a Lexus IS250. He tried to leave the ShatterGate franchise after the ShatterGate Strike: Scoured Lands debacle (Metacritic: 65), later admitting that he’d failed to push back against the absurd time and production constraints he and the team had clapped upon them. But some lingering attachment to the world he’d helped create proved impossible to resist. Josh likes to remind team members how much ShatterGate: Future Perfect is costing the company — the first time he mentioned the number to you, you had to go lie down — but whenever he does mention this astronomical sum, it feels to you vaguely like a self-appraisal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I haven't watched Westworld until now because people were saying that it's just like a video game which put me off. I started watching it in the last few days thpugh and I'm hooked, it's a really cool show for reasons other than that it's resembling a video game. There are a lot of things that don't add up in it but I'm willing to play along.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did anyone mention they're doing a harvey relief GDQ right now

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oddium posted:

did anyone mention they're doing a harvey relief GDQ right now

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

All Golden Cubes + 1 Anti

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm mad Galaxy 2 was so late at night last night, but hopefully I can catch DKC2. Breath of the Wild run sounds pretty hype too but I probably won't be able to catch all of it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

This part of the story always annoys me because it suggests a game like Dark Souls was some serendipitous stroke of genius without equal, rather than a gradual and iterative process that took a decade of making games to refine. Also that Dark Souls is some underground hit and not a huge multiplatinum selling franchise with mainstream success.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is anyone playing LawBreakers or is it already dead?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

hyphz posted:

Is anyone playing LawBreakers or is it already dead?

Well 200 people are playing it right now with a concurrent peak of 360 in the past 24 hours

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't buy Lawbreakers. CliffyB is a huge rear end in a top hat and his game is a horrible Overwatch ripoff.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I don't know about Cliffy B, but while it's a hero shooter the feel is very different from Overwatch.

And oh god, there's Quake Champions and The Amazing Eternals (why would they change TO that name?) to fail too I guess.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Pubg will soon have more players in a single match than the entirety of lawbreakers

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It would be quite the event if the game was somehow able to reverse the course it's currently on in terms of relevancy.

Like not including games that started off unknown and then grew big, what games started off hyping themselves up to be the next big multiplayer thing, launched, tanked in terms of player retention and then grew exponentially into a massive behemoth?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It would be quite the event if the game was somehow able to reverse the course it's currently on in terms of relevancy.

Like not including games that started off unknown and then grew big, what games started off hyping themselves up to be the next big multiplayer thing, launched, tanked in terms of player retention and then grew exponentially into a massive behemoth?

Idk if it tanked but that's what happened with Ranbow Six Siege

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What is slowbeef up to these days?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lawbreakers saw how the mass appeal of Overwatch brought in millions of people who otherwise would never play an FPS and ran in the exact opposite direction so far it time traveled 20 years back into the Attitude Era.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

lawbreakers has swear words in it!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

He makes videos when hes babysitting his daughter or having trees fall on him

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So uhh, Petroglyph Games (ex-westwood staff) just announced an update to Star Wars: Empire at War... after 10 years.

Steam multiplayer support, new maps. Comes out in a few weeks.

https://www.newswire.com/news/rts-veterans-petroglyph-make-return-to-star-wars-empire-at-war-with-19892543

quote:

Indie game developer and publisher Petroglyph is proud to announce the upcoming release of a major update to Star Wars: Empire at War, 10 years after its initial launch. In collaboration with Disney, the team at Petroglyph has restored the multiplayer functionality in Star Wars: Empire at War that was previously lost when the online service GameSpy™ was shut down. Players will soon be able to seamlessly connect via Valve's Steam™ service and play in multiplayer land, space, and galactic battles as they did a decade ago. In addition, several compatibility issues were fixed, and an in-game interface for mod support has been included to support the Steam Workshop.

With over 6.7 million copies sold to date, Star Wars: Empire at War is the best-selling and most popular Star Wars™ game available on Steam.

Neat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the land battles sucked and the space battles were probably bad too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I remember that game was kinda bad but good news for fans

Also if you want a good mid 2000's rts play kohan2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

oddium posted:

the land battles sucked and the space battles were probably bad too

Land battles were real mediocre, but space was pretty cool, if a little repetitive. Game's still got a big mod scene though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

exquisite tea posted:

Lawbreakers saw how the mass appeal of Overwatch brought in millions of people who otherwise would never play an FPS and ran in the exact opposite direction so far it time traveled 20 years back into the Attitude Era.

#SkilledAF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would love it if Blackbird Interactive (Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak) made a Star Wars RTS

• Locked thread