Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

The End posted:

Bloody great. Even greater if you can get the original version, and not the hideous 'facelift' that they gave the reprint.

It's from the collection from my friend who recently passed. It's currently in the pile of "couldn't easily price so we might EBay it". I've already spent about 200 on some other games (Duke, Le Havre, LotR card game, Great Fire of London, etc), and I still have a few that I'm on the fence about that none of our other friends have bought, like War of the Ring (1st ed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

please knock Mom! posted:

All I can think after viewing that video is that 1 in 8 males are color blind and they picked red/green plastic cubes to represent the game state

8% and mostly just semi-colourblindness because if it was 1/8 I would never cross a street ever again.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tafferling posted:

8% and mostly just semi-colourblindness because if it was 1/8 I would never cross a street ever again.

It depends on whether you also count acquired color blindness

Anyway, most games I've played actually have a way around it like specific markings and the like. I don't count things you can ask other players as accessibility problems, so it's only annoying when it involves cards/items which are meant to be kept secret.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tafferling posted:

if it was 1/8 I would never cross a street ever again.

As a dumb-eyes person let me say that the red and green used in traffic lights are a) very distinct because the green is required by law to bleed into blue and b) they are in different positions on the light so it's basically impossible to mistake one for the other even if you're full blown black and white colorblind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Container has my favorite colors for pieces. White and black, that's good, but oh brownish orange, light brown, and slightly darker light brown. Thanks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

Container has my favorite colors for pieces. White and black, that's good, but oh brownish orange, light brown, and slightly darker light brown. Thanks.

Try playing urbania. Red and pink, brown and gray and off-white, green parks and different green flipped pieces.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can colorblind people even dream of playing Through the Desert?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

al-azad posted:

This is why when I made my own copy, I used red, blue, yellow, white and orange.

Archipelago and Railways of the World are also terrible.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For colours that people seemed surprised to hear I have trouble with after I tell them I'm red green colourblind: blue/purple, green/brown, gray/turquoise, food/stone Caylus cubes :(

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Whether it's 8, 12 or whatever percentage of people are affected, I really don't care: Board games are for everyone. Game publishers shouldn't be producing games that certain people cannot play for an avoidable reason. Yes, someone with a physical disability like muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy might not feel welcome playing Junk Art or Jenga, and someone with severe social anxiety might not want to play The Resistance or Battlestar Galactica. Those situations are not easily rectified, and would require a creative approach. (Those Meeple Like Us people do consider that those types of elements as a possible downside to a game, which I think is entirely fair.)

The difference with colorblindness is that we have an available solution: Avoid certain combinations among the essentially infinite number of colors. If you don't know what those colors are, it's on the internet: you can find palletes that give suggestions for color choices. If you need to check your components and design choices for colorblind-friendliness, there are websites and apps that will filter images so that a full-color sighted person can see an approximation of what it's like to those with this condition. Also, it's not as though this has to apply to everything in your game; just game elements where it is critical to distinguish between which is which, such as game pieces. Your board and box can contain every color in the rainbow if it's a decorative part of it.

Or, even better: sometimes you can find a way around the problem entirely. I remember playing Guildhall and wondering about the purpose of the symbols on the left side of the card. If you don't know, the game is based around getting sets composed of one of each color of certain roles. The symbols are the same among each color, so even if you are colorblind, you can just treat them like suits based on the symbols instead of the colors. It was seeing that example in that game that got me thinking about this. That was over 3 years ago.

... and it's still happening. Jamie from the Secret Cabal (who suffers from some manner of colorblindness) just this week tweeted about Whistle Stop. He took it in stride, but at this point I really think it is inexcusable.

e: vvv THIS. When I say that those example problems are difficult to overcome, what I mean is that I hope that some creative company or designer will find a way to overcome it.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When people argue for inclusion in the industry they're not just talking affirmative action but rather fresh perspectives on designing products. These big companies can afford the extra time and effort to playtest with a variety of disabled gamers before finalizing the design.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

unpronounceable posted:

For colours that people seemed surprised to hear I have trouble with after I tell them I'm red green colourblind: blue/purple, green/brown, gray/turquoise, food/stone Caylus cubes :(

Yep, absolutely. Games that use both blue and purple piss me off.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Magnetic North posted:

Or, even better: sometimes you can find a way around the problem entirely. I remember playing Guildhall and wondering about the purpose of the symbols on the left side of the card. If you don't know, the game is based around getting sets composed of one of each color of certain roles. The symbols are the same among each color, so even if you are colorblind, you can just treat them like suits based on the symbols instead of the colors. It was seeing that example in that game that got me thinking about this. That was over 3 years ago.

TTR has symbols for every color too. It's such a simple and unobtrusive fix.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Alhambra is pretty neat when it comes to accessibility (at least the versions I've played). The 4 different currencies have their own artwork and symbols (square, circle, etc.) and the types of tile each have their own printed name so you're not relying on colour - except for the player score discs, but iirc they are in nonstandard colours and easy enough to add your own symbols etc. to.

Some of the expansions don't do as good a job and rely on colours though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Elegant bad game: Arkham Ritual, a Kickstarter that delivered recently. I backed it because it was cheap and because the rules seemed delightfully stupid.

In a nutshell, everybody is holding one card that only the other players see, Hanabi style. Start player draws a card and looks at it, then picks someone to pass it to. That player accepts it to replace the one they have, which they discard face up, or refuses it and passes it to someone else. In neither case do they look at it. If nobody accepts a card then the round ends, otherwise start player passes and the process repeats.

Round also ends if the deck runs out or if certain cards get discarded. At the end of a round, red cards lose, and blue cards win if no one else has a matching card. If someone has the blue cultist, red cards win instead. Losers lose sanity equal to the number of losers. When someone gets to 0, highest remaining sanity wins.

Super simple, super dumb. Basically you will never know your own card, so any possible strategy is guesswork. But it's so easy to play!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Elegant bad game: Arkham Ritual, a Kickstarter that delivered recently. I backed it because it was cheap and because the rules seemed delightfully stupid.

In a nutshell, everybody is holding one card that only the other players see, Hanabi style. Start player draws a card and looks at it, then picks someone to pass it to. That player accepts it to replace the one they have, which they discard face up, or refuses it and passes it to someone else. In neither case do they look at it. If nobody accepts a card then the round ends, otherwise start player passes and the process repeats.

Round also ends if the deck runs out or if certain cards get discarded. At the end of a round, red cards lose, and blue cards win if no one else has a matching card. If someone has the blue cultist, red cards win instead. Losers lose sanity equal to the number of losers. When someone gets to 0, highest remaining sanity wins.

Super simple, super dumb. Basically you will never know your own card, so any possible strategy is guesswork. But it's so easy to play!

Kind of like cockroach poker. Which, similarly, is a super dumb game that's pretty hilarious.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So I'm not saying game designers shouldn't be aware of this or work to make their games inclusive, but red lights and green lights are pretty universal symbols that mean something has gone wrong or is functioning properly, far beyond board games, and the colors were specifically used in that manner by First Martians. You can say that isn't a sufficient reason, but it isn't a bonkers thing to do for thematic reasons. The game seems pretty awful anyway, which is disappointing because I was looking for an excuse to get it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Alban Viard is a mad man.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sinteres posted:

So I'm not saying game designers shouldn't be aware of this or work to make their games inclusive, but red lights and green lights are pretty universal symbols that mean something has gone wrong or is functioning properly, far beyond board games, and the colors were specifically used in that manner by First Martians. You can say that isn't a sufficient reason, but it isn't a bonkers thing to do for thematic reasons. The game seems pretty awful anyway, which is disappointing because I was looking for an excuse to get it.

Yeah I didn't want to start a discussion about red and green cubes but my gaming group fixes this in a few games by just switching opaque/clear cubes around. Sounds like something a developer could do as well but it's a really tiny thing tbh. Thing is, everyone's color vision sucks when it's late in the evening and your lamps aren't that fantastic anymore, so it's more of a design issue.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Alban Viard is a mad man.

What makes you say this? I love alban btw, I wish he got more biuzz

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Why do you even need cubes for stuff that isn't broken in first martian? To make setup take longer? Seems really pointless to me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why do you even need cubes for stuff that isn't broken in first martian? To make setup take longer? Seems really pointless to me.

they're so pretty all set up like that, soooo pretttyyyy

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'd guess the point of stuff like that or the reportedly useless oxygen tracker is to eventually become relevant via some unlockable/scenario-based ~shocking new rule~. Just guessing though.

With my knowledge of this game admittedly limited to disinterested browsing over a review or two, I have this fanfic-y vision in my head of Ignacy sitting bored in his ivory throne, pained by lack of a worthy challenge now that he defiantlystomped all over Vlaada's design theory, and eventually choosing to become the new Phil Eklund just for the sake of it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lichtenstein posted:

I'd guess the point of stuff like that or the reportedly useless oxygen tracker is to eventually become relevant via some unlockable/scenario-based ~shocking new rule~. Just guessing though.

With my knowledge of this game admittedly limited to disinterested browsing over a review or two, I have this fanfic-y vision in my head of Ignacy sitting bored in his ivory throne, pained by lack of a worthy challenge now that he defiantlystomped all over Vlaada's design theory, and eventually choosing to become the new Phil Eklund just for the sake of it.

Except Eklund makes good games.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Oldstench posted:

Except Eklund makes good games.

He generally makes great games he's just a horrible person.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
First Martians looks like it has some interesting stuff, it's just a shame it's buried within so many layers of bullshit. I like the concept of having to break parts of less-necessary systems on the fly to fix a problem with a super-necessary system that's broken down and needs to be fixed right now. But I groaned as soon as I saw that app; it looks so unnecessary and shoehorned in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The app is so bad that you have to recreate the board state in it by hand. Yeah, the board with all the pieces everywhere. Ugh kill me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

You're very wrong about that. There are 22 cards in the deck and each player knows up to six of them from the start, so deduction is possible through process of elimination. If I see three red items then the odds are good that I don't have a red card, but also good that I'm matching one of the red items. If I see a Gate and someone who doesn't have it keeps passing cards to me, it's likely that I'm holding Cthulhu. If I don't see a Gate or the Cultist and everyone keeps passing to me, it's likely I'm holding a unique blue card.

Arkham Ritual is simple and it isn't to be taken seriously, but it's far from random.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Papes posted:

What makes you say this? I love alban btw, I wish he got more biuzz

It was praise. I've played town center once and I just played small city for the first time.

It's...a lot to take in.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It was praise. I've played town center once and I just played small city for the first time.

It's...a lot to take in.

Clinic is in fighting stance, doing that "come at me" gesture. Dozens of knocked out mooks who thought they could wrap their heads around multi-story building on a 2D plane lie defeated. Good luck.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Hey, looking for a couple recommendations, gang. Two popular games at our nights are Villagers & Villains and Pandemic. What are some other games in those genres that would work?

For V&V, we enjoy kinda the relaxed pace and building the town. We've tried Citadels but people seemed a little...ambivalent towards it. I think the role choosing and deception just didn't seem to click? I'd thought about Harbour but I think I recall earlier thread opinions saying it's bad?

For Pandemic, the only similar, themed co-op game I can seem to turn up is Flash Point: Fire Rescue. What are people's thoughts on that one?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Pandemic legacy spoilers for September

so after we found the soldier are we meant to still try to build and use military bases or just destroy them? We could use our military operations man to build them just to destroy them for an easy objective!

Also, we found the immunologist and the virologist, it says we need a DNA sample as well to complete- have we overlooked something or it's just coming up later?

Also, any word on season 2s release ? I want to pre order so I don't miss out! I'm in Australia.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

so after we found the soldier are we meant to still try to build and use military bases or just destroy them? We could use our military operations man to build them just to destroy them for an easy objective!

Also, we found the immunologist and the virologist, it says we need a DNA sample as well to complete- have we overlooked something or it's just coming up later?

Also, any word on season 2s release ? I want to pre order so I don't miss out! I'm in Australia.

The first one is a decision we also faced, you don't need help there.

As for the second question: This is the point where you checked off the 3 symbols on the card, right? Yeah there is another part coming, you didn't miss anything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My personal worst color experience

Player piece colors: Brown, black, gray and khaki

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Quick reminder Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy has a white player and a cream player.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

The oxygen tracker isn't useless, it's just not a fail condition if it drops to zero. When parts of the base have oxygen bits working below proper efficiency you have to spend from the supply to do any actions there.

Zero oxygen in the supply means you can't interact with somewhere that has an oxygen problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Quick reminder Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy has a white player and a cream player.

No it doesn't, it has a white player and a natural player. If you can't tell the difference between white and natural wood then you have bigger vision problems than achromia.

The board for Archon: Glory and Machination deserves a special mention. Goods are natural, black, grey and white and are easy enough to tell apart, but the printed symbols on the board are not. Luckily every action space that uses black and white is at the bottom and every space that uses natural and grey is at the top.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

teacup posted:

Pre orders are open in Australia from tons of Gaming Stores (e.g boardom).

The one thing I'd say is make sure you've scratched every inch of every scratch card

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

No it doesn't, it has a white player and a natural player. If you can't tell the difference between white and natural wood then you have bigger vision problems than achromia.

Stare into my eyes and tell me these are contrasting colors:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Stare into my eyes and tell me these are contrasting colors:

What do you mean? I am staring into your eyes.