Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm in no great rush so I'll just wait it out. Started doing the CGs last night as an alternative but I'll probably go exploring this weekend maybe try for my first elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hey beta players: do repair limpets repair hull and PP, or just hull (I assume the latter). Are y'all finding them to be worth the jump range loss on smaller exploration vessels?

On a related note, hurry up Frontier, I want to spacetruck my fukkin Type-10 to Beagle Point

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 1, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Hutton is 6.7 million Ls from the star? LOL!!!! how long does that actually take to fly? Why the gently caress would I ever want to waste that time?

To buy a mug of course.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I recall Hutton took me half an hour in a Hauler. I left it and did stuff around the house.

Oh and Frontiers merch maker can create a Hutton Orbital mug if you actually want a physical representation of your achievements

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol, just lol if you ever moved a single
honest spacebox for cash in your entire career.

Sidewinder->Eagle->Viper3->DBS on just poaching bounties off cops in a HiRes. Then from the DBS to a Vulture bountyhunting in a wing. Then A-fitted that Vulture solo killing condas, pythons, and fed ships and poo poo.

Then I bought a DBE and went spacemad exploring and returned with enough data to buy a piracy python and never looked back. Piracy all day erry day. gently caress moving imaginary internet spaceboxes for cash. I'll never earn an honest spacebuck ever again and also my python looks like some poo poo straight outta Mad Max.

I live, I die, I live again, bitch.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 2, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Honky Dong Country posted:

Lol, just lol if you ever moved a single

I live, I die, I live again, bitch.

I will not apologize for Unicorn Runs being technically legal for a short time.

SHINY. ETERNAL. CHROME.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Groggy nard posted:

I will not apologize for Unicorn Runs being technically legal for a short time.

SHINY. ETERNAL. CHROME.

lol at moving space boxes for money. I'd rather ram a steak knife down my urethra than move imaginary space-freight in a game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trustworthy posted:

Hey beta players: do repair limpets repair hull and PP, or just hull (I assume the latter). Are y'all finding them to be worth the jump range loss on smaller exploration vessels?

On a related note, hurry up Frontier, I want to spacetruck my fukkin Type-10 to Beagle Point

that reminds me, the brown sea seems to think the type-10 should cost a billion credits at a minimum to ~*~bleed off people's ill-gotten gains" :jerkbag:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Goons

What's a fantastic way to make money? I'll get into exploration eventually but right now I'm looking more for stuff in the bubble to help me shoot more poo poo with more effective poo poo.

Flying a Python to eventually get mostly all combat A ranked.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

lol at moving space boxes for money. I'd rather ram a steak knife down my urethra than move imaginary space-freight in a game.

Well that's a little extreme. I just get blown away when I enter combat zones. I blew a bunch of money buying another cobra hull and fitting it for combat (I thought I did, anyway) but I'm still woefully outclassed. The python is way out of my funding range, should I get into a viper or a diamondback scout? What the hell do I put on the front of it to actually knock through another ship's shield instead of just getting their attention so they can blow me away more easily? A balls out strafing run with my new failure cobra's type 2 pulse lasers and type 1 missiles are breaking maybe one layer of shields on some of these bigger ships, usually at the cost of most or all of my shields and a bit of hull. I'm all stuffed full of hull reinforcements so at least I haven't gotten shot down, just a few panicked escapes with confetti popping off inside my cockpit.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Inspector Hound posted:

Well that's a little extreme. I just get blown away when I enter combat zones. I blew a bunch of money buying another cobra hull and fitting it for combat (I thought I did, anyway) but I'm still woefully outclassed. The python is way out of my funding range, should I get into a viper or a diamondback scout? What the hell do I put on the front of it to actually knock through another ship's shield instead of just getting their attention so they can blow me away more easily? A balls out strafing run with my new failure cobra's type 2 pulse lasers and type 1 missiles are breaking maybe one layer of shields on some of these bigger ships, usually at the cost of most or all of my shields and a bit of hull. I'm all stuffed full of hull reinforcements so at least I haven't gotten shot down, just a few panicked escapes with confetti popping off inside my cockpit.

I have been successful with a viper IV in combat zones. 4A shields and as many hull/module reinforcements/SCBs as you can stomach (the military slot helps). Use at least 2 shield boosters. You can use size 2 fixed beams to wear down shields and your choice of railgun/missiles/cannon in the smaller hardpoints to deal hull damage.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I'll never earn an honest spacebuck ever again
you know, selling slaves/drugs/weapons is probably much worse than bountyhunting in terms of earning honest spacebucks. bountyhunting is basically doing cops' job. anyway, I share your sentiment.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Anyone interested in giving mining a try, come on down to GCRV1568. It's got 2 stations in close proximity that give you everything you need:

The marked station, Gagnan hub, has every module that you'd need to mine, from a 4A refinery, class 1, 3, and 5 collector limpets, prospector limpets, and both classes of mining laser. The gas giant on the left has metal-rich and metallic rings, and the metallic ring is ridiculously rich: there's a bunch of Platinum, Gold and Painite. Best of all, the station attached to the leftmost gas giant, Cernan Dock, pays generally higher than galactic average prices for everything you can find in the rings - including almost double galactic average for painite.

You can pop in, completely re-spec your ship with mining equipment, tool around for a bit, and sell the materials for good prices in the same system. I took my cargo hauler python, outfitted it to this, and made $2,000,000 in a single mining outing. Cernan generally has a bunch of mining missions as well.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have been successful with a viper IV in combat zones. 4A shields and as many hull/module reinforcements/SCBs as you can stomach (the military slot helps). Use at least 2 shield boosters. You can use size 2 fixed beams to wear down shields and your choice of railgun/missiles/cannon in the smaller hardpoints to deal hull damage.

You usually want your hull-eaters in the larger hardpoints. Shields don't care about weapons size but hull does. Small weapons do less damage against a medium ship. Same goes for mediums against a large ship, and so on. You generally want your shield killers on the smaller hardpoints and the weapons you use to chew up hulls in the larger ones. That's part of why a vulture is such a drat beast is it's a tiny maneuverable bastard that packs weapons big enough to do real damage to the big boys.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 2, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
This is just cool:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
What happened to the Thargoids?

Thargon.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Thagoon.

Edit: poo poo, that was already :thejoke:, wasn't it.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Breetai posted:

Anyone interested in giving mining a try, come on down to GCRV1568. It's got 2 stations in close proximity that give you everything you need:

The marked station, Gagnan hub, has every module that you'd need to mine, from a 4A refinery, class 1, 3, and 5 collector limpets, prospector limpets, and both classes of mining laser. The gas giant on the left has metal-rich and metallic rings, and the metallic ring is ridiculously rich: there's a bunch of Platinum, Gold and Painite. Best of all, the station attached to the leftmost gas giant, Cernan Dock, pays generally higher than galactic average prices for everything you can find in the rings - including almost double galactic average for painite.

You can pop in, completely re-spec your ship with mining equipment, tool around for a bit, and sell the materials for good prices in the same system. I took my cargo hauler python, outfitted it to this, and made $2,000,000 in a single mining outing. Cernan generally has a bunch of mining missions as well.

This is my main hub. I base most of my stuff out of Momus Reach, next star over, but 1568 has all of the rings and Rez sites.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
In regards to the community goal. Is it even worth trying to get to a higher tier like 75% or 50% if all I have is a Type 6 for moving goods?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Yup.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

In regards to the community goal. Is it even worth trying to get to a higher tier like 75% or 50% if all I have is a Type 6 for moving goods?

To elaborate, going up a tier is a shitlot of money so it's worth trying for.

More practically, while ships like the T7, T9, Conda and Cutter can carry more cargo in one go, their jump range in considerably shorter, too. This means there have to make more jumps and may have to detour fair distances to actually get there, so in the end the two between your outputs isn't quite as high as you'd expect.

This for bulk hauling. For the rare good transport missions, I'd say the T6 is at the top of the pile, with the Cobra-3 and Asp-E. The big cargo hold doesn't matter when they'll only sell like twenty tons in one go, and you're still faster and cheaper.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

jubjub64 posted:

Yesterday 700 tons brought me to the 75% tier and 1400tons to the 50% tier. 700t earns you 2millions in addition to the bonus. Depending on your plans for the weekend I'd do it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Einbauschrank posted:

Yesterday 700 tons brought me to the 75% tier and 1400tons to the 50% tier. 700t earns you 2millions in addition to the bonus. Depending on your plans for the weekend I'd do it.

So I only had 29 million after spending the whole last week high res fighting for the cg bounty turn in. I only had, for trading, a fitted t6 and I tried doing two runs of beryllium, 200t in 40 minutes after being interdicted both times in kamadhenu. Decided that it's not worth trying to trade until you get a 400t hauler like the anaconda or the t-9.

So I said, gently caress this and got in my asp explorer and went to quince since it's going away soon and made 13 million in 40 minutes. Screw this "legitimate" way of earning cash to fund your fun. Going to grind a t-9 hauler for future hauling cgs while I still can or else it'll take me weeks to get a 400t hauler

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 3, 2017

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Where were you getting the berylium that it took 40 mins for two? There are a bunch of places under 25ly of the place. It should be one jump for you.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So now that the community goal for shipping is complete you can't get a profit from the required commodities. Can I still ship cargo at a loss and up my tier rank?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

jubjub64 posted:

So now that the community goal for shipping is complete you can't get a profit from the required commodities. Can I still ship cargo at a loss and up my tier rank?

I don't think selling at a loss helps you at all. You'd be better if finding a market nearby that will make you a small profit.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

Once it completes the tiers are locked and won't change. You can still sell your cargo for however much you can get. Use eddb.io to find the best price.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I sold a load between the goal maxing out and the completed status appearing and it didn't change anything. I did make a profit on the sale, though, so there's that.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I sold a load between the goal maxing out and the completed status appearing and it didn't change anything. I did make a profit on the sale, though, so there's that.

I didn't realize that the goal completed so when I sold my last load I lost about 100,000. Oh well. I guess the demand goes down from 999,999 at the completion of the goal. Which makes sense.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 3, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Last week I took a mission to transport a passenger 26k ly to look at an earth-like with rings for a payment of 43m. It took me a week to get there with a couple hours per day of jump, scoop, honk, repeat in my 47ly asp x. I don't know why I thought the mission might lead to some interesting content like finding some mysterious signal or something but no, as soon as I scanned the rings she was all "ok take me back to Eravate"

I started my trip back via Colonia because I wanted to sell my exploration data at Jacque Station. I got scanned while scanning the nav beacon there and she becomes "unhappy". Does this affect my payout or other rewards or is it just pointless?

I ended up selling the exploration data I'd gathered for 52m which was more than I expected. For the first half of the journey I was looking at the system maps and scanning all earth-likes and water worlds but the second half I just wanted to get there and get it over with so I just stopped looking at the system map and as soon as honking and scooping was done I'd jump to the next system.

For the trip back to Eravate from Colonia I've been using neutron stars and holy crap this is so much quicker. I had never done it before and was avoiding it before selling my data because I was worried about the danger involved and didn't want to blow up my ship blowing the mission and losing the exploration data but I guess my worries were unfounded because it's way easy.

I'm not going to be able to use neutron stars the whole way back because i only have about 900 ... units(?) left for my AFMU and I lose about 1% FSD integrity per FSD supercharge and I've been trying to keep it at 85% integrity and above and the repair from 85% to 100% costs about 600ish units. I don't have an SRV with me so I won't be able to make more units.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 3, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

GutBomb posted:

I started my trip back via Colonia because I wanted to sell my exploration data at Jacque Station. I got scanned while scanning the nav beacon there and she becomes "unhappy". Does this affect my payout or other rewards or is it just pointless?

Your payout will be as advertised, but you probably will fail the mission altogether if you get scanned again or do something else they don't like.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Can someone explain to me why the black market in a station would just vanish?

I've not spent all that much time in game, or messing with the mechanics to know wtf is going on.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Krycek posted:

Your payout will be as advertised, but you probably will fail the mission altogether if you get scanned again or do something else they don't like.

Looks like I'll be boosting into the back wall of Cleve hub then.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Where were you getting the berylium that it took 40 mins for two? There are a bunch of places under 25ly of the place. It should be one jump for you.

Adan, my t6 only has 17.1 ly range with full load and single jump finder only has adan listed with 1100 ls station

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Hobold posted:

Can someone explain to me why the black market in a station would just vanish?

I've not spent all that much time in game, or messing with the mechanics to know wtf is going on.

If one of the powers gains control of the system then illegal activities (ie, black market) go away. Not sure if it affects anything else though.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Adan, my t6 only has 17.1 ly range with full load and single jump finder only has adan listed with 1100 ls station

If your FSD isn't engineered you really should get it done. FSD Range 5 is like night and day for this kind of thing and it's not that difficult to get to. Even Range 4 will help out a lot and the materials are a bit easier to get than 5 (or even 2 and 3).

What's your loadout on the t6?

I just checked and if you D rate everything except the FSD (which should be A rated) and throw in a Docking Computer (optional) and 3D Shield Generator (optional) you still get 100t carry capacity and an unengineered A rated FSD should give you just shy of 20ly.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 4, 2017

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Recently getting back into this and I'm wondering about which of the power's weapons are worth going for, given the 4-weeks time requirement for each of them. I'm thinking about going for the imperial hammer or pack missiles first, curious if they actually deliver an edge or are just gimmicks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Last week I took a mission to transport a passenger 26k ly to look at an earth-like with rings for a payment of 43m. It took me a week to get there with a couple hours per day of jump, scoop, honk, repeat in my 47ly asp x. I don't know why I thought the mission might lead to some interesting content like finding some mysterious signal or something but no, as soon as I scanned the rings she was all "ok take me back to Eravate"

I'm not going to be able to use neutron stars the whole way back because i only have about 900 ... units(?) left for my AFMU and I lose about 1% FSD integrity per FSD supercharge and I've been trying to keep it at 85% integrity and above and the repair from 85% to 100% costs about 600ish units. I don't have an SRV with me so I won't be able to make more units.

There are some waystations between the bubble and colonia. Look them up an make a pitstop or 2. Also keep in mind that about 2 k from the bubble you are better off normal travel so no more damage.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sekenr posted:

There are some waystations between the bubble and colonia. Look them up an make a pitstop or 2. Also keep in mind that about 2 k from the bubble you are better off normal travel so no more damage.

Sweet, thanks!

I have noticed that along this path there are more neutron stars that also have a scoopable star right next to them. It's been nice not having to jump to a new system to scoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Dravs posted:

If one of the powers gains control of the system then illegal activities (ie, black market) go away. Not sure if it affects anything else though.

As far as I know, the systems not changed at all. But I could be missing some obvious sign.

I just ended up finding a Anarchy system ~10 jumps out and went and dumped poo poo there. Not a huge hassle, more irritated that the black market I was using, just poofed.

• Locked thread