Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pretty sure you can relisten to the calls people make to you via the Transcribe menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

aniviron posted:

Pretty sure you can relisten to the calls people make to you via the Transcribe menu.

The only things under "audio logs" are the ones that I have picked up.

sauer kraut posted:

When you go near enough to a named corpse to loot it, it's marked as 'found'
The sec terminal 'quests' are really only there to set a marker over some guy you wanna find either for a real quest, a hint dropped somewhere about loot/keys, or just for fun.
Some of them bug out, don't spawn or get exploded by random stuff so don't go OCD over that find all people cheevo.

Wasn't planning on it, I know that's a surefire way to get yourself burned out.

One more question. So far the scariest enemies I've come across are the bipedal ones with the purple sheen. they split into two. When they do this, is one of the copies fake? I.E., if I kill the original, will the copy die too? I suspect they're both fully fledged versions, but something has to keep them from multiplying out of control.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah against stuff like that, you need to cheese it.
Popular methods for alpha striking include a sneaky shotgun blast to the back of the head, as close range as possible
Psychoshock, a 10-20s silence can be learned by scanning Telepaths. Followed by shotgun to the face or wrench to the face.
Throwing an explosive canister while simultaneously spraying a whole 9mm clip in the general direction of the target.
Shoot with Qbeam until the enemy health bar is green. Don't use against robots/technopaths.. gently caress technopaths. But really, if you can't be bothered anymore later in the game, qbeam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For me, the big enemies are just more tedious than dangerous. Telepaths are just psychoshock + some other ability and then wait for cooldowns. Technopaths are just repeatedly shoot with the stun gun. Nightmare is sit behind something for the gold orb things to hit and then step out with the qbeam.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh snap I forgot the stun gun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure the stungun is upgraded for damage and number of shots per charge. You can take down a big group of robuts pretty quickly.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Honestly, the fully upgraded stungun is great. Put a few points into sneak attack and you can blow up corrupted operators with a single shot(on normal), trivialize technopaths, and stun phantoms and mimics long enough so you can comfortably wrench them to death.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I just managed to stumble across the fabrication plans for neuromods at a point that I figure must be a little earlier than you're "intended" to get it (I'm still, plot-wise, at the stage where you're just heard the second half of the office message I discussed on the last page.) So I have enough materials to fabricate a lot of neuromods right now (maybe ten or twelve? already fabricated two) but it would more or less clean me out. Is it a mistake to do this? I had heard that neuromods where very plentiful but, well, I am a min-maxer. However, I suppose I may need a lot of those raw materials later on to fabricate ammo, which seems much more scare?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You can't produce more than 7 until somewhat later into the game anyway.
Don't worry there is materials galore if you look everywhere.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
At that point in the game neuromods are far more useful and, depending what you spend them on, will probably help you get more stuff faster than just making ammo. Go for it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

sauer kraut posted:

Not entirely true, if you're really thorough with exploring that never even happens.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The best counter to ammo scarcity is to improve your damage per shot - by fully upgrading your Firearms, Gunsmith, Sneak Attack skills, etc. and going from there. When I said neuromods were plentiful, I meant if you go craft them; between fabrication and respawning enemies, you can go hog wild.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah, I'd solved that block well before I got the psychoscope.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I found the Wrench super useful as a lone enemy ammo saver right through the endgame. The chip that increased Wrench stuns allowed you to chain together fully charged wrench strikes against phantoms and their very slow falling over animation.

Just like the stun gun vs mechanicals, its a damage dealer that brings its own complete enemy control.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's a random (?) suit chip you can find that makes you do damage when you goomba-stomp enemies, and they subsequently go prone for a little while.

That's an amazing combo with the wrench. (if you can land the jump which I couldn't.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Craft neuromods all day every day. The more neuromods you jam into your brain, the less ammo you need to use over the rest of the game and the more ammo and resources you can access. There's basically no drawbacks unless you're using them to exclusively buy the small handful of totally worthless upgrades. If you aren't purchasing every single neuromod upgrade by the end of the game so that you're basically a god, what's even the point of it all?

Wrench can be usable into endgame but it's completely luck of the draw on whether you find the relatively rare chips that help boost its power. And it's never particularly good. I wish you'd have been able to get an upgraded melee weapon at some point - but then, I suppose that's what the shotgun is!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

If you were disappointed in the SS2 Wrench, hoo boy are you gonna be let down by "Will only tickle the weakest mimic unless you charge swing." And awkward decison that you can't chain charge swings, you have to not touch the button for a while between swings.

Wrench can be quite handy, but it's basically "Don't bother unless it's a basic mimic, or managed to sneak up on a basic phantom" With the occasional sneak attack on Etheral phantoms hoping the charged swing knocks them down rather than piss them off. Rather than SS2 "I'm comfortable fighting robot ninjas with this thing" and not having to be more afraid the button inputs would decide I rushed it and gently caress you, we won't let you charge the swing-whoops looks like that broke them free of the gloo without killing him and now he's duplicating.

I'm saying these hurtful things of the Prey wrench as a guy who still stubbornly uses the wrench to saving 9mm ammo against mimics and basic phantoms even when I have a fully upgraded golden pistol and 200 bullets. So clearly it's still good enough to do the job on anything without notable ranged or AoE effects. But boy do I miss my SS2 wrench despite it's overall slower animations frustrating me way back when.

I mean the thing with Prey is that the psy powers give you a huge amount of ability to completely shut down enemies. Nothing quite beat clubbing a telepath to death after you wing it with psychoshock. It just sort of floats there and glares at you while trying to drift away. Stun it for good measure and beat it to death, you can do this with nearly every enemy especially if you put points into upgading your wrenching skills.

It's not powerful but with some mods you can swing it forever and it's free, and enemies have absolutely no ability to attack you if you use your powers right.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

On the note of crafting neuromods, I wonder how many peoples' worth of mods Morgan has by the end of a game. https://i.imgur.com/lIWQhxj.jpg suggests that under controlled conditions you get 80 mods from a single person which would put Morgan at about one person's worth, but most of your mods aren't pre-made, they're home-made (with love!) and DIY harvesting is clearly a lot less efficient than whatever they did to get 20 mods per mimic in the labs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I added it up and at 5 minutes per mod I had spent a total of over 10 hours with needles stuck in my eye by the end of the game

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is that image from?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Place where I first found it had a link to an article about Prey's development; the article said that they used that image (as well as a few others, like one that details the Typhon lifecycle) as an internal guideline for the development team so everybody would be on the same page with the game's lore.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

:allears:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I've just finished my second playthrough, and so far, there's only two things that bug me in the game.

One is when the randomized chipsets give you one that you already have. I ended the last game with 3 v-amp chipsets.

The other is the power plant room where you can see two neuromods in space. Even when you go out and get them, they're still there when you go back to the power plant, because it's looking into a fake, inaccessible area, not the place where you actually get them.

Aside from those, it's great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I noticed that with the keycard next to Calvino's body in the space outside of Hardware Labs; you can go collect the corresponding keycard outside of the station, but then if you go back to that window the keycard is still there.

The interesting flip side of that is that there's a technopath in space outside of the Executive Suites as you hop off of the lift, and you can go outside into space and kill that and it'll disappear if you revisit the Executive Suites. But if you go outside and kill it before you ever visit Crew Quarters, then it'll be there again the first time that you go to Executive Suites.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

The other is the power plant room where you can see two neuromods in space. Even when you go out and get them, they're still there when you go back to the power plant, because it's looking into a fake, inaccessible area, not the place where you actually get them.

This pissed me off because I was walking back through that hallway, saw them, and thought "WTF? I could have sworn I got those." I figured maybe there were two more and these two were just hidden. I went all the way back down to the airlock, go back to that hallway, just to find that there were no neuromods there and I was instead looking at a fake hallway while in the station.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I noticed that with the keycard next to Calvino's body in the space outside of Hardware Labs; you can go collect the corresponding keycard outside of the station, but then if you go back to that window the keycard is still there.

The interesting flip side of that is that there's a technopath in space outside of the Executive Suites as you hop off of the lift, and you can go outside into space and kill that and it'll disappear if you revisit the Executive Suites. But if you go outside and kill it before you ever visit Crew Quarters, then it'll be there again the first time that you go to Executive Suites.

I would like to thank the brave surviving janitor that cleaned out the dead typhon remains and splatters from the Elevator after the requisite jumpscare that even disables your flashlight temporarily and made me have to draw my goo gun three times before it stayed out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, how the hell are people just moving around the station all willy nilly? Someone is all "Meet me in the neuromod divison" and they somehow snuck past a big technopath?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

He also runs away and starts booby trapping various doors and machines. Then you find him in a booby trapped escape pod.

I found him because I wandered into the bridge before I think I should have. I tased him out and disarmed his recycler mine. I'm still finding presents he left and getting vaguely threatening phone calls from him. I should go back and check on him, see if he's still sitting there unconscious.

I plan to finally finish my first run through this game this weekend. Just bear down and do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

The neuromods in the decompressed section of the power plant also don't disappear if you take them, which led me to a rather annoying trip when I went back down there and thought I forgot to pick them up.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

The neuromods in the decompressed section of the power plant also don't disappear if you take them, which led me to a rather annoying trip when I went back down there and thought I forgot to pick them up.
That's the original item I mentioned! :mad:

I guess another mild disappointment - there's no special comment at the end from Igwe if you go completely without neural mods. Which was a somewhat harrowing playthrough, I have to say, even on easy.

edit: Also, he is apparently a lying liar who lies, because when I reloaded just before the end and installed a single typhon power to get Split Affinity, he says I installed multiple typhon-based neuropowers.

I don't think anything in that is really a spoiler, but I'm blacking it out just in case.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 2, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Motherfucker

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Beat this phenomenal game just over a week ago, loved almost everything. Some of the quests were obnoxious, but that is expected from a *shock game. Gameplay was entirely on point. Practically every quest, potential secret area, etc has multiple ways to take complete it. I know I will be abusing GLOO wall climbing a lot more in my second playthrough. Went through the campaign similarly to every *shock game: hacking, inventory, recycling, guns were all immediate choices. Only went into Typhon mods for telepathy, then eventually once I had inundated myself in nanomods, every damage resistance. Fully upgraded Shotgun kicks so much rear end, so fun chumping those annoying elementals.

Prey didn't feel like an homage to System Shock 2, it felt like what SS2 wanted to be.

Plot-wise I was caught off guard by the simulation ending. I was expecting some *shock twist like that, but was surprised by how no decisions during the game impact the ending at all besides robodialogue. I almost got the fully empathetic award but didn't stun someone early on. It seems to me that what the "cannon" ending implies is that Morgan and Alex used his private escape pod to GTFO, since all of the other main characters are January-like human inside an operator deal. They all died on the station and Alex/Morgan was crazy enough to have backups inline. If they used the Nullwave device or blew up the station it didn't work/help. Alex didn't seem any older during the final sequence then in the game, so it can be inferred that the final cutscene isn't happening too far after the simulated "in-game ending". The invasion happened quickly, just as it did on Talos 1. What we see is a desperate plea for human existence.

We lost, but that doesn't mean it's over *queue sequel*

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
In the world of Prey, Neuromods can extend a persons life for decades or more, so trying to figure out a person's age from his look is pointless .

Also, just finished the game for the first time last night, and my first gut reaction is being disappointed with the ending twist, but the more i think about the better it actually fits the themes of the game . It also a further development of the dishonored games systems where the game reacts to your decisions mechanically rather then filing arbitrary good guy/ bad guy meters on a game menu .

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

Prey didn't feel like an homage to System Shock 2, it felt like what SS2 wanted to be.

Prey isn't as scary as SS2 though. I blame the retrofuturistic 70s wood paneling decor. :v:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ss2's had sick body horror and two (three if you count xerxes) creepy antagonists. Also the sound design was great for horror (e g hybrids screaming at you for death or apologising. So prey doesn't quite exceed it in all areas.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neurosis posted:

Ss2's had sick body horror and two (three if you count xerxes) creepy antagonists. Also the sound design was great for horror (e g hybrids screaming at you for death or apologising. So prey doesn't quite exceed it in all areas.

Nobody offered me a free tire swing for my sweet Basketball skills in Prey :saddowns:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Prey isn't as scary as SS2 though. I blame the retrofuturistic 70s wood paneling decor. :v:

SS2 has enemies that randomly respawn while you're in the level, that's what always did it for me. Being in a tight corridoor solving a puzzle and hearing a hybrid was always tense.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

"Who chose these colours? I don't like them."

As creepy as the Cyborg Midwives etc are, the service robots always freaked me out the most, weirdly. I definitely have to agree though, Prey is a fantastic game but sound design is not where it excels.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Finished this game today after 21 hours. Easily the most intriguing FPS game I've played in years. I've been massively burned out from forgetful big budget games, and sorta figured story driven FPS was on its way out. Happy to be wrong!~

Spoilery ending questions/ comments
The ending felt like a wet fart though. I think partially my actions were to blame. After looking at the possible endings, I think I was so concerned about getting the best one that I unknowingly screwed myself out of it. I figured the game's ending was sort of based on your completion percentage rather than certain actions, and in the end I worked on minor sidequests and treasure maps instead of finishing the Who Was January quest. However, it seems like Earth gets screwed regardless of your actions? And, could I "survive" (because I guess I was a Tychon/Human hybrid at the end) the escape if I Neuromod myself with Tychon powers? I didn't touch any because I was scared id get a bad ending...which seemed to have happened even though I took no chances blowing up all of Talos 1 after the survivors escaped, heh.

I'm having some friends start this game shortly, and I think my advice to them and my past self is "don't break your back for an optimal ending, and just do what seems fun".

Also, until like hour 15, I thought Alex was my abusive, arm breaking dad until he explicitly called me his little brother. I guess I wasn't paying attention in the intro :v: Also also, I wish I could read about JFK's neuromod experience (unless he just happened to live to 114 because of a good diet and regular exercise).

As a closing note, if mods ever make it to this game, I'm going to install the one that disables cystoid damage because theres nothing redeeming at all about those dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Section Z posted:

Nobody offered me a free tire swing for my sweet Basketball skills in Prey :saddowns:
:keke:

Dyz posted:

SS2 has enemies that randomly respawn while you're in the level, that's what always did it for me. Being in a tight corridoor solving a puzzle and hearing a hybrid was always tense.

There's also nothing in Prey that's as scary as the SS2's spiders. Or the pyrokinetic monkeys. Interestingly, the mimics come close from a visual point of view, but both mimic forms cease to be a threat very very quickly.