Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe I'm way off here but that seems rather strange considering Skyrim came out in 2011. No even reasonably modern computer should be struggling with it.

It doesn't at all with vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
speaking of Game of Thrones mods does anyone know if the Adaptation V4 files are being hosted anywhere else? Creator took em down for the time being

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20925/

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe I'm way off here but that seems rather strange considering Skyrim came out in 2011. No even reasonably modern computer should be struggling with it.

I thought the same thing... I have an i5-750 and a GTX 660 and have no issues at all running the original Skyrim LE at 60fps, 1920x1080.

edit: Just tested it with everything set to Ultra and yeah it runs fine. But I'm only using a handful of mods and nothing graphical.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 29, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Heavily scripted mods can slow it way the gently caress down. What's your modlist?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Guess I asked in the wrong place, my bad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

wormil posted:

Currently have an i5-2400 and 1050 ti, will I see much improvement in Skyrim if I up to a gtx 1060? The 1050 ti is running about 99% a lot of the time and I've had to uninstall a couple mods to keep the framerate up. The i5-2400 might also be limiting me a bit, I'm seeing only 70-80% utilization on the cpu but it's getting hot. Eventually I will upgrade the whole system, just waiting for hardware prices and options to settle a bit.

I've got a 1070 and it mostly runs nicely (but will chug with script-heavy stuff, as stated). It's kind of a lovely engine (Oldrim anyway) on any hardware, though, especially once you bog it down with scripted stuff.

Also, if you're on Windows 10, be mindful of the absolute hard 4 GB memory limit regardless of your hardware. (There are rumors that this is getting fixed, but who knows?)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

docbeard posted:

I've got a 1070 and it mostly runs nicely (but will chug with script-heavy stuff, as stated). It's kind of a lovely engine (Oldrim anyway) on any hardware, though, especially once you bog it down with scripted stuff.

Also, if you're on Windows 10, be mindful of the absolute hard 4 GB memory limit regardless of your hardware. (There are rumors that this is getting fixed, but who knows?)
I'm on SE. I didn't know about the limit, thanks. Not sure how much that is affecting me but I could be running out of memory. I'm trying to track down something that is causing my game to freeze, then I have to cntrl-alt-dlt and logout. It gets worse with more than 2 followers.

After ditching some mods things have settled a little bit. Last night my average CPU usage was 47%, max was 92%, average temp 62c. GPU max use was 100%, average was 62%, avg temp 47c. GPU use is slightly misleading because that includes loading screens or pausing when it drops super low. Might grab a better cpu fan and see if that helps any.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The limit won't affect you on SE, it's specific to DX 9 stuff.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

wormil posted:

I'm on SE. I didn't know about the limit, thanks. Not sure how much that is affecting me but I could be running out of memory. I'm trying to track down something that is causing my game to freeze, then I have to cntrl-alt-dlt and logout. It gets worse with more than 2 followers.

After ditching some mods things have settled a little bit. Last night my average CPU usage was 47%, max was 92%, average temp 62c. GPU max use was 100%, average was 62%, avg temp 47c. GPU use is slightly misleading because that includes loading screens or pausing when it drops super low. Might grab a better cpu fan and see if that helps any.

do you use v-sync

whats your average frame-rate

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

do you use v-sync

whats your average frame-rate

No, I don't know what that is, I'll look it up. Frame rate is usually around 58 with occasional dips into the 40s. I can push it down if I install more lighting and hi res meshes. With vanilla it's a steady 60.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

does using cloaks of skyrim through cco not add the spinning wheels? are the the craftable cloaks on the tanning thing? this wiki says there should be a spinning wheel in the wizard college but i cant find it.

http://legacy-of-the-dragonborn.wikia.com/wiki/Cape_-_College_of_Winterhold

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

wormil posted:

No, I don't know what that is, I'll look it up. Frame rate is usually around 58 with occasional dips into the 40s. I can push it down if I install more lighting and hi res meshes. With vanilla it's a steady 60.

lol don't worry about it then

vsync locks you at your monitors refresh rate (usually 60 fps) if you're going above it. i get like 120 fps so if i dont use vsync it'll make my computer hot. with vsync it locks it at a smooth 60 and everything runs cool

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Last night, with no mod changes, I was at 60fps most of the time and instead of freezing it would kick me to the main menu but only when going through doors. The only change was I took the side of my PC case which helped keep the CPU temp down. I think I need a better heat sink to tide me over until I upgrade.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

that sounds like a mod conflict, not your pc overheating

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, if your GPU is maxing out at 62c, that's not exactly cold but that's nowhere near crash-your-system hot. And (based on personal experience) you'd probably see it throttle (and trust me, you'd know if this was happening) before it shut down.

Litmus test #1 of course is whether you're having issues with any games other than Skyrim. If not, then it's almost certainly not a hardware issue at all.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Overheating hardware would (likely) freeze your whole system and not just kick you into a main menu.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I googled about mod conflicts but 99.9% of everything written on the subject was oldrim. I've checked and double checked against known conflicts. I have no doubt it's a mod related problem because it didn't happen with vanilla but I'm striking out at figuring it out because the symptoms keep changing, there is no discernable pattern. Which is what led me back to hardware and thinking the mods were pushing the CPU too hard.

docbeard posted:

Litmus test #1 of course is whether you're having issues with any games other than Skyrim. If not, then it's almost certainly not a hardware issue at all.

Only other game I play is New Vegas, vanilla and 100% stable, as was SSE before I installed mods. I have no doubt it's mod related but I'm not sure if it's a mod running the piss out of the CPU or a conflict. I'm usually very good at detecting patterns but I can't find one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Whatever you do, don't give us a modlist to look at here. I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to work without it.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I think you mentioned it getting worse when you had a couple of companions, in my experience that points to a CPU bottleneck.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Agents are GO! posted:

Whatever you do, don't give us a modlist to look at here. I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to work without it.

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, I somehow missed that you requested it.
https://pastebin.com/L2Lx43kE

CFox posted:

I think you mentioned it getting worse when you had a couple of companions, in my experience that points to a CPU bottleneck.

Last night, the symptoms changed again. Back to freezing and forcing me to log out of Win10, but it only happened during dialog. One day it's outdoor spaces, next day no problems at all, next day it's doors, the next it's scripted dialog.

I don't know if this is helpful but this is the last minute of play before it froze up. You can see the GPU go wacky up and down.

Same thing, zoomed in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You are really running the VRAM on your 1050 up to the limit. Lay off some of the 4K texture packs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Arivia posted:

You are really running the VRAM on your 1050 up to the limit. Lay off some of the 4K texture packs.

Good point. Looking at the charts, it was pegged to the max for the last minute+ before the crash. Will go through them tonight and do that. Thanks.

Update: I only had a few 4k textures installed. I downgraded everything I could and killed RLO, Real Water, Flora. The game kinda looks like rear end now and my memory was still maxed and game was freezing. So I dismissed my two followers and the memory usage dropped way down, gpu and cpu usage dropped, and I had no more freezing or other issues. After playing for awhile I picked up a vanilla follower and so far no issues but memory use did jump up. So it's the followers using up memory.

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 1, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was hoping to wait for Script Extender but I'm really itching to play again. But now I don't know what mods (if any) I should actually grab.

THe OP seems more focused on the pre-SE one, are there any "must have" mods?

E: The ones I used in the original were things like graphical improvements, extra armor/weapon designs, capes, pouches, blacksmithing additions, and skill changes (the latter two probably required SKSE though).

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 2, 2017

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I gave up on waiting for SKSE64 and modded Skyrim SE for a new playthrough, last night. Here is my modlist:

GameMode=SkyrimSE

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
BSAssets.esm=1
BSHeartland.esm=1
BS_DLC_patch.esp=1
Campfire.esm=1
Falskaar.esm=1
TravellersOfSkyrim.esm=1
Cutting Room Floor.esp=1
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp=1
Vivid WeathersSE.esp=1
IcePenguinWorldMap.esp=1
Uncle Sheo Legendary.esp=1
Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp=1
reflection-levelupmessages.esp=1
Footprints.esp=1
UnreadBooksGlow.esp=1
When Vampires Attack.esp=1
WeightLessTrueAll.esp=1
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp=1
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp=1
TravellersOfSkyrim - Vanilla.esp=1
TravellersOfSkyrim - Dragonborn Addon.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
Vivid Weathers - Extended Rain.esp=1
Perk Points at Skill Levels 50-75-100.esp=1
Thief skills rebalance for Ordinator.esp=1
Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp=1
Smilodon - Combat of Skyrim.esp=1
Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp=1
WARZONES - SSE - Civil Unrest.esp=1
3DNPC.esp=1
Beasts of Tamriel.esp=1
Eli_Breezehome.esp=1
Better Harvesting.esp=1
OBIS SE.esp=1
BirdsOfSkyrim_SSE.esp=1
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp=1
Ordinator - Beyond Skyrim Bruma Patch.esp=1
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp=1
Point The Way.esp=1
Run For Your Lives.esp=1
Ars Metallica.esp=1
EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp=1
Inigo.esp=1
Darkwater Crossing.esp=1
Frostfall.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
Cloaks - USSEP Patch.esp=1
DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp=1
EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp=1
Complete Pack.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=1
Shor's Stone.esp=1
Ivarstead.esp=1
SofiaFollower.esp=1
Helarchen Creek.esp=1
Provincial Courier Service.esp=1
Kynesgrove.esp=1
Whistling Mine.esp=1
Soljund's Sinkhole.esp=1
Eli_RiverwoodShack.esp=1
Karthwasten.esp=1
Eli_Routa.esp=1
Dragon Bridge.esp=1
notice board.esp=1
ForgottenCity.esp=1
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1
magic of the magna-ge.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=1
moonpath.esp=1
DragonLordSwords.esp=1
Jormundandr Dragon.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp=1
Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp=1
ValkyrieSwordShield.esp=1
Nightingale Prime remaster.esp=1
Imperious - Races of Skyrim.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
xedits.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1

Anyone notice something particularly terrible hiding in there? I basically just went through and grabbed the most downloaded/endorsed mods on nexus from the past year, with some guidance curated from the OP. LOOT'd, SSEEdit, and Wrye'd it. Looking forward to rolling with all of Enai Siaion's mods. Getting Interesting NPCs installed was a total pain.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Seems like Creation Club killed any chance of SKSE64

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Link?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

pmchem posted:

Anyone notice something particularly terrible hiding in there? I basically just went through and grabbed the most downloaded/endorsed mods on nexus from the past year, with some guidance curated from the OP. LOOT'd, SSEEdit, and Wrye'd it. Looking forward to rolling with all of Enai Siaion's mods. Getting Interesting NPCs installed was a total pain.

Skyrim LE here, but I just today uninstalled 3DNPC after using it for years because it runs an insane number of scripts, and like you said it's a puzzle getting it installed and keeping mods compatible. It also cured some script errors like williamtellarrow that I'd always been getting. It seems like the biggest script/string hog around, and while it's cool, it's not that cool. It probably can't be helped since it adds a zillion npcs and followers, but if you have papyrus overload or save bloat with a ton of mods, it might be best to drop that one to make things easy for other script-heavy mods like Ordinator, Vilja, Frostfall etc. OBIS was another good but problematic mod in Oldrim.

But if it all runs fine, then that's a nice greatest hits list.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I need to uninstall some texture packs for SSE as well. Game went from butter smooth on ultra to laggy as heck on medium. Also some peoples bodies disappeared so they are just walking armor and teeth. Spooky~

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
They release a new executable with every release, to make sure you can't use Creation Club mods without proper authorization. The inclusion of directly download mods in the Fallout 4 release of Creation Club is more or less a honeypot to see how the community can circumvent the system in order to make those files work without purchase, so that they can lock it down further.

Each new release of executable makes changes to file structure authorization and breaks script extenders in spectacular ways. If someone figures out how to use F4SE to override Creation Club authorization, you can pretty much say goodbye to F4SE (and SKSE64 by extension).

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 3, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Okay, this pretty much all wrong.
The fact that you can grab the creation club assets and use the CK or community made tools to put them in the game without paying for it, has nothing to do with the script extenders. That it would be some honeypot to see how modders would do that is utter nonsense, because everyone with even the most basic knowledge of how the Betheda-engine handles assets would already know. And Bethesda falls in that catagory.
The simplest explanation for why Bethesda released those assets as a part of a patch is so they can circumvent the restrictions for mods on the consoles.

Each new patch update of the executable breaks the script extender in the normal, standard and expected way. Nothing spectacular about it. When it boots, the script extender checks to see if the version of game's executable is the version it's expecting. And when that's not the case, it immediatly shuts down. This is a safeguard against things like script functions not working, the game freezing during play, or even the OS crashing.
We know jack poo poo about how the Creation Club will operate. Even if we're going to get occasional updates that dump new Creation asset archives in our data folder, there's no reason why those updates would continue to include new executable versions. The reason it happened now was for the 1.10 patch which added support for the Creation Club's infrastruction (menus, the .esl datafile type, etc).
But even if that would happen, it wouldn't matter all that much. Generally the script extender can be updated quickly for the new executable. F4SE was updated for FO4's 1.10 update about a day after the patch dropped.

In other good news: It looks like the Win10 Fall Creator's update is going to include a fix that will allow DX9 application to use more then 4GB of ram.
In other bad news: People using the latest Windows Insider builds have reported it breaks Mod Organizer. The issue seems to be that when developing MO Tannin took advantage of some functions in the Windows API that don't quite work correctly. Which was fine. Until Microsoft fixed those API fuctions. Oops.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 3, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Varance posted:

They release a new executable with every release, to make sure you can't use Creation Club mods without proper authorization. The inclusion of directly download mods in the Fallout 4 release of Creation Club is more or less a honeypot to see how the community can circumvent the system in order to make those files work without purchase, so that they can lock it down further.

Each new release of executable makes changes to file structure authorization and breaks script extenders in spectacular ways. If someone figures out how to use F4SE to override Creation Club authorization, you can pretty much say goodbye to F4SE (and SKSE64 by extension).

Keep going. See if you can tie it to the freemasons or bilderbergers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah I need to uninstall some texture packs for SSE as well. Game went from butter smooth on ultra to laggy as heck on medium. Also some peoples bodies disappeared so they are just walking armor and teeth. Spooky~

I've had headless but not bodiless, that's hilarious.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Keep going. See if you can tie it to the freemasons or bilderbergers.

ENB was created by THE RUSSIANS OH MY GOD IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER...

Time for some videogame theory.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't claim to be the best political analyst in Whiterun. Eric Garl-Mane's got that honour. The man's tweetstorms are legendary.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

docbeard posted:

ENB was created by THE RUSSIANS OH MY GOD IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER...

Time for some videogame theory.

So was Tetris.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Regardless of motive, if Bethesda does plan on patching Skyrim much more frequently then, yeah, RIP script extenders in SE.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hey im trying to install this JContainers thing (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49743/) using Mod Organizer and its not installing like all the other mods. it gave me a little tutorial and said i'd get a green message when it detected the right install path or something but it's just saying "no game data on top level" in red.
what do i do?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Today I remembered I hadn't rebuilt the Bash patch for a couple months so after doing that my cpu and gpu usage nosedived, as did temps, and the fans no longer sound like a jet engine. Here are some numbers compared to my post above.

First # is after, 2nd # is before
code:
VRAM: 293 MB  vs 2581 MB
RAM: 1914 MB  vs 3472 MB
CPU: 37%  vs 52%
CPU: 55c  vs 59c (4 cores averaged)  
GPU: 2%   vs 67%  (so the gpu is definitely not holding me back)
GPU: 32c  vs 44c
FPS: 57   vs 58
But it's still freezing up with one follower. :suicide:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kly posted:

hey im trying to install this JContainers thing (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49743/) using Mod Organizer and its not installing like all the other mods. it gave me a little tutorial and said i'd get a green message when it detected the right install path or something but it's just saying "no game data on top level" in red.
what do i do?

This just means that the mod is packaged a different way than Mod Organizer is expecting.

Right-click midway down where it says Data (not <data>, just above the nested "scripts" and "SKSE") and select "Set Data Directory". It should give you a message saying that everything looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ok, thanks! First time MO has done that for me