Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I've rewatched Dalek Invasion of Earth many times and I still think it holds up across the entire range of episodes really strongly. It includes some really strong visuals as well, even beyond the iconic image of the Daleks crossing Westminster Bridge.

Really the only thing that really comes across badly to me is the "fearsome alligator" and the Slyther, both of which are laughably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Dalek Invasion of Earth has Barbara running over Daleks with a truck, it is the best.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fil5000 posted:

Minuet is hilarious on many levels. I mean yeah, it's BAD, but it's Neil Breen bad. Someone's tried to make a fun Doctor Who story and it's hampered by both being badly written and set in America, and no one in the production sounds even vaguely american. Even the canadian guy doesn't sound close.

"Pretty li'l satin bottoms." :heysexy:

Whenever I'm feeling down, I stick that on and let the waves of nonsense soothe. It's like there was a gas leak in the writing and recording rooms, and everyone just carried on regardless, waking up in a haze a few hours later having produced Minuet.

Nekromanteia is undoubtedly one of the worst things Big Finish has ever put out. Apparently the writer was going after something in the style of Hinchcliffe, and failed miserabley. It's one of those projects where you wonder why no-one stopped it at any point and questioned if it was a good idea to have weird skeevy attempts at titilation, and attempted rape (wth the attempted rapist being rewarded at the end), and poo poo like the Doctor being loving murdered and eaten.

Creed is bad, because it's someone's fetish wank fantasy they managed to trick actors into recording for them, but otherwise is just a boring slob. Nekro is bad because everything about it is bad; Story, characters, narrative structure, and the piss-poor way it handles all those "dark" themes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I respectfully disagree; I think the story has a great deal of scope, and in particular unlike later alien invasion stories it doesn't have the survivors neatly split into rebels and collaborators.

The world-building is definitely good, and I think Barbara shines through a lot. I don't know; I really liked it the first time I watched but I found myself losing interest this time.

I've really been liking Vicki as a companion. I think a lot of it is that they just let her do more than Susan was allowed to do, but it's also just that the dynamic works better. Susan being the Doctor's granddaughter made her constantly responsible as a peacekeeper between he and her teachers, and the Doctor was big on issuing commands to her in a pretty authoritarian way. The Doctor softening up makes it so that with Vicki, the entire time, it's more like she's a promising pupil that he wants to encourage, and Barbara and Ian are sort of her surrogate parents.

I had a good laugh at the scene where they watch The Beatles on their time television, if only because Barbara and Ian's reactions to things like "Of course I know The Beatles! I've visited their memorial!" and "They play classical music!" It's exactly the kind of reactions the Baby Boomers are having right now when they discover that teenagers haven't heard of Paul McCartney. Barbara and Ian are good space parents.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ian and Barbara are honestly pretty great, partly because they tend not to put up with poo poo and aren't completely credulous and accepting of everything like later companions often are. Barbara's got poo poo to do dammit!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ian and Barbara trying to deal with the Doctor reminds me of anyone who has had to deal with a grandparent whom they love and respect but who just won't deal with or acknowledge the limitations that have come with age.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit sad that the DVD of The Chase cuts out that whole bit. Obviously they had to cut the actual performance because $$$ but they went beyond that- a lot of that scene is missing beyond rights issues.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm a bit sad that the DVD of The Chase cuts out that whole bit. Obviously they had to cut the actual performance because $$$ but they went beyond that- a lot of that scene is missing beyond rights issues.

Really? That kind of sucks. If nothing else, I'm pretty sure that's the only place that footage even exists anymore, because it was also scorched with the BBC archives. Intellectual property laws are the scourge of creativity sometimes. Hercule Poirot belongs in the drat public domain.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
It's only the US DVD release that's missing the Beatles footage though, it's included on the R2 release.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And it was on the US VHS release

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only thing I know about The Chase is that it was the subject of one of the most interesting Antiques Roadshow sections I've seen. A teenager turned up with an earlier draft of the script that included actual speaking parts for the Beatles, and judging by the fact his lines were underlined it was Lennon's copy.

If I remember correctly, they appraised it as worth about $500 to the right buyer.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The only thing I know about The Chase is that it was the subject of one of the most interesting Antiques Roadshow sections I've seen. A teenager turned up with an earlier draft of the script that included actual speaking parts for the Beatles, and judging by the fact his lines were underlined it was Lennon's copy.

If I remember correctly, they appraised it as worth about $500 to the right buyer.

Only $500?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
£500, not dollars. Watching the piece, Hilary Kay isn't a great expert on these sorts of things (And the fact there's no dedicated memorabilia expert on Antiques Roadshow these days is a massive oversight), and that's a very conservative estimate. If they were to sell at Bonhams in a dedicated entertainment auction, it'd absolutely hit the £1000 mark with no trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZl3EA52C38

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Beatles' appearance in "The Chase" was reused footage from an appearance on TOTP, and I believe it remains the only surviving such footage of a Beatles appearance on TOTP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Beatles' appearance in "The Chase" was reused footage from an appearance on TOTP, and I believe it remains the only surviving such footage of a Beatles appearance on TOTP.

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier. So eliminating it from the home media releases of the story means that something that barely nobody can see will now be seen by even fewer people. It sucks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

But at least they won't have to pay McCartney, Ringo, and the Harrison and Lennon families royalties! That would be ridiculous!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Amy: What is that thing?
Captain Avery: A legend. The Siren. Many a merchant ship laden with treasure has fallen prey to her. She’s been hunting us ever since we were becalmed, picking off the injured.
Boatswain: Like a shark. A shark can smell blood.
The Doctor: Okay. Just like a shark. In a dress. And singing. And green! A green singing shark in an evening gown.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It'd be pretty ace if Gareth Roberts never wrote for the show again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Dammit...I really like a lot of his episodes too :/ why'd he have to turn out to be a poo poo?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

His wikia photo at least fits well because it looks like he's disgusted by his own tweet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
He's blocking anyone who calls him out on it too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Well, gently caress this guy. I liked at least two of his episodes and I'll probably keep liking them, but if that's his opinion, he lacks basic empathy and should never be hired again. I hope that he learns to be less hateful and feels horrible about tweeting that, but bigots who have achieved any kind of success always have enough people to support them so that they never, ever have to learn their lessons.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

He has also done some decent stuff for Big Finish.

Which reminds me: 7th Doctor sale on big finish https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/sevenoffers (passcode seven30)

Best of the bunch are 3 audios with Elizabeth 'nazi' Klein as the companion.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Astroman posted:

But at least they won't have to pay McCartney, Ringo, and the Harrison and Lennon families royalties! That would be ridiculous!

I'm almost certain the Beatles wouldn't allow their appearance in the Chase internationally no matter how much the BBC would pay them. The only reason their TOTP performance is on the British DVDs is because the BBC owns the footage - since it's a mime, the audio is owned by the band, and that's as close as impossible to license as possible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Chelsea isn't even an unusual name! On the other hand I know of one person named Bev.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Their names are different from the normal names I know" is always a lovely, small-minded sentiment, and it's also a favorite among racists and xenophobes. It also demonstrates that he doesn't know any trans people personally. Three of my trans friends just chose a different-gendered version of their own names while they were transitioning and one didn't change their name at all. And as for the ones who chose names that were a little more unusual, I always thought they were fine, but it's also none of my business to do anything besides treat them with the absolute basic human decency of calling a person by the name they want to be called. I've been known by a nickname so much, literally my entire life, that people are often surprised when they hear my "real" name. Who the hell am I to judge?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Box of Bunnies posted:

This is only the tip of the right wing iceberg of poo poo that is Gareth Roberts

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Ah yes, those famous transgender Parises and Chelseas.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is only the tip of the right wing iceberg of poo poo that is Gareth Roberts

lol I looked him up and there's an interview where he talks about "the stranglehold of the left-wing on our creative arts" and says this:

quote:

Doctor Who, like anything else, is a product of its culture. That culture is the most tolerant, empathic and humane the world has ever seen; the benign secular Western capitalist system, something of which we should be very proud. But that culture has its dangers too, and possibly the greatest is in applying our modern values when trying to deal with backward ones. Which is why when the people start talking about "negotiation" and "political solutions" in regard to Islamic fundamentalist fanatics, I often feel reminded of that dusty and badly designed Dulcian council chamber. The Dominators want to destroy Dulkis. The terrorists want to kill all the Jews. What the Doctor realises is that negotiating with these sort of enemies is pretty impossible; how bout killing half the jews, Osama? What say you can blow up half the planet, Rago?

Basically,

Bicyclops posted:

Well, gently caress this guy.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Gareth Roberts is a vile oval office and has been for quite some time and I'm happy everyone knows this now.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol I looked him up and there's an interview where he talks about "the stranglehold of the left-wing on our creative arts" and says this:

Basically,

I guess he doesn't like that Zygon two-parter either then :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor: Well, Zygon, I'd try negotiating with you, but you're backwards, so I'm just going to press the "blow up the Zygons" button myself, in defense of benign Western capitalism, which UNIT should be proud to protect. [Presses button, turns toward UNIT, adjusting tie] "Bonnie?" Why can't these Zygons ever pick normal names, am I right? Guys?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The literal embodiment of a Thumb Person.

Also I looked up the episodes he wrote, and realised I didn't like any of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

Of course he uses a terribly written Doctor Who episode as an example

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

The story goes that they were originally supposed to appear in The Chase as themselves, but in make up to look like old men when they were performing, but while the Fab Four wanted to do it, their manager shot it down. The TotP footage was a concession.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

The story goes that they were originally supposed to appear in The Chase as themselves, but in make up to look like old men when they were performing, but while the Fab Four wanted to do it, their manager shot it down. The TotP footage was a concession.

Epstein was pretty strict about the image.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Payndz posted:

The literal embodiment of a Thumb Person.

Also I looked up the episodes he wrote, and realised I didn't like any of them.

He's written three of my favourite non-Moffat episodes, which makes this rather a shame

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

adhuin posted:

He has also done some decent stuff for Big Finish.

Which reminds me: 7th Doctor sale on big finish https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/sevenoffers (passcode seven30)

Best of the bunch are 3 audios with Elizabeth 'nazi' Klein as the companion.

Boo Gareth Roberts, but yay Big Finish sale!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is it wrong that I immediately went and looked up Jerusalem's reviews for all 3 of these horrible audios that have been mentioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope I didn't say anything good about any of them!

• Locked thread