Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's some old school sounding blackened death metal that's brightening my morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2tJ9-NZK4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

henpod posted:

I don't know what it is about the new stuff, but it just seems...bland. It feels like the right ingredients are there but they left out the seasoning or something. There's nothing that stands out as being bad but I don't really get particularly gripped by the three songs heard so far.
This one is basically just a worse version of Sword Chant

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Those guys are cool Milwaukee dudes. Milwaukee has cool bands.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Filthy Pirate Riffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjMPiYRlVLM

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My favourite pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbO_IDpQAk&t=5s

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Here's some old school sounding blackened death metal that's brightening my morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2tJ9-NZK4k

this is cool but it's 2017 and they're only releasing this on tape. get a bandcamp at least drat

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Varg posted:

this is cool but it's 2017 and they're only releasing this on tape. get a bandcamp at least drat

no it's authentic and not at all going extremely far out of your way to appear metal and underground

I like the ditties but the vocals seem kinda loud compared to the other instruments

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Varg posted:

Great way to get me to never listen to a band yeah.

Here's a good album if you're into stuff like Bewitched. gently caress I love Bewitched. Do you like Bewitched? You should.

Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 2, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At $7 I would've bought the tape blind as I need something to test a new deck, but $13 shipping? Nope.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i don't know what's up with the whole cassette tape thing but yeah, put out a tape of you don't want anyone to hear your dumb album (maybe that's the point)

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Here's a good album if you're into stuff like Bewitched. gently caress I love Bewitched. Do you like Bewitched? You should.

good poo poo, got me in the mood for some Whiplash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-S7Jjhn5EU

EL BROMANCE posted:

At $7 I would've bought the tape blind as I need something to test a new deck, but $13 shipping? Nope.
check out some tapes here for $6 + $3 shipping http://www.gravenearthrecords.com/category/tapes

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think it's alright if still dumb as an option alongside others. But for real streaming + vinyl is god tier and I don't give a poo poo about anything else and probably never will.

Varg posted:

This is great!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Varg posted:

check out some tapes here for $6 + $3 shipping http://www.gravenearthrecords.com/category/tapes

Cool, I'll give one or two a blast. Thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oops double post.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Faffel posted:

no it's authentic and not at all going extremely far out of your way to appear metal and underground

I like the ditties but the vocals seem kinda loud compared to the other instruments

They're not going out their way at all, tapes are easier to put together for a band than any other physical format, except maybe CDrs but no one really likes those and there's not much metal on Cdr anyway.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
let's get real, no one likes CDs and it's a pain to burn CDs

MP3s? never heard of them

tape is so much easier and everyone has tape players these days

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Um actually tapes make perfect sense.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9QBn9i4EQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metal Thread #19862016 - Bolt Thrower (It's tape!)

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really like Bewitched and this is some loving good stuff too. Love that bass sound. And the guitar sound too actually.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's one guy apparently. Pretty awesome. Everything sounds raw and punchy without falling back to lofi cliches.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

As a child of the 80s I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for cassette tapes. Just like VHS, they're lovely and went away for a reason. I get the feeling that people who get into this "retro" stuff are too young to have actually suffered through it.

Are tapes making a comeback across all music or is it mostly just metal?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

As a child of the 80s I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for cassette tapes. Just like VHS, they're lovely and went away for a reason. I get the feeling that people who get into this "retro" stuff are too young to have actually suffered through it.

They didn't go away in certain genres, punk and metal bands have been using tapes for demos since the 80s. It's pretty common in other genres like noise with a diy focus as well.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's only metal that I've see so far, and even then it's mostly been Black Metal bands that I've seen with tape releases. I don't care how a band decides to release an album but for fucks sake at least give us a digital option.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

joylessdivision posted:

I don't care how a band decides to release an album but for fucks sake at least give us a digital option.

This is how I feel as it's not practical for me to keep hundreds of CDs in my semi-truck for work. I bring my 160GB iPod with me and listen to it all day, so when labels like Nuclear War Now! seem to release a very small percentage of their discography on digital platforms, I tend to just ignore them. Thankfully most of my favorite labels and bands have realized it's the smart thing to do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatulater bro! posted:

As a child of the 80s I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for cassette tapes. Just like VHS, they're lovely and went away for a reason.

I'm in a horror VHS group on Facebook because theres some cool stuff that was only ever released on VHS, or people have cool and unique editions of a film.

Let me be clear though, VHS people are loving nuts. Like certified wacko. They are obsessed and there's constantly wars between people over their crappy tapes. Some of them outright refuse to watch anything that isn't on VHS on a beaten up CRT TV. Like I can understand it for some super low budget films, but if you want to watch something as beautifully filmed as Suspiria on a poo poo setup in the wrong aspect ratio on a format that can't do red properly, be my guest. I saw some people throw a legitimate fit because someone trashed their collection, which was just things like Independence Day and Speed tapes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a deep nostalgia for VHS and would give up Netflix and etc for a sick room full of old fuzzy tvs and a library of every old horror tape ever. So I can't hate on cassettes too much. I'm the problem. I don't collect or buy either though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
No one cares if you do/don't like tapes.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A TURGID FATSO posted:

This is how I feel as it's not practical for me to keep hundreds of CDs in my semi-truck for work. I bring my 160GB iPod with me and listen to it all day, so when labels like Nuclear War Now! seem to release a very small percentage of their discography on digital platforms, I tend to just ignore them. Thankfully most of my favorite labels and bands have realized it's the smart thing to do.

You might be confusing the "smart" thing with your preference. You mentioned NWN, so I'll use them. YK, the label owner, mentioned the label itself continues to exist primarily because of vinyl sales. Tape, CDs and Digital just don't move the needle enough. That said, he often uses Bandcamp with no buy option, so people can hear the music, and hopefully buy the vinyl.

And with Metal, especially the underground, there are plenty of bands that go out of their way to make their music less accessible. They're not making a living off this, and maximizing sales are not their primary concern.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Danny LaFever posted:

You might be confusing the "smart" thing with your preference. You mentioned NWN, so I'll use them. YK, the label owner, mentioned the label itself continues to exist primarily because of vinyl sales. Tape, CDs and Digital just don't move the needle enough. That said, he often uses Bandcamp with no buy option, so people can hear the music, and hopefully buy the vinyl.

And with Metal, especially the underground, there are plenty of bands that go out of their way to make their music less accessible. They're not making a living off this, and maximizing sales are not their primary concern.

I'm not saying that selling all other forms other than digital are a fool's errand. All I'm saying is it gives more access of your wares to a larger audience who is seeking it out, which very well may increase revenue.

It's understandable from NWN!'s perspective that vinyl is the way to go, but I know plenty of people who would buy both the vinyl and digital packages, so what I'm essentially saying is this: what's the harm in it?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'm not saying that selling all other forms other than digital are a fool's errand. All I'm saying is it gives more access of your wares to a larger audience who is seeking it out, which very well may increase revenue.

It's understandable from NWN!'s perspective that vinyl is the way to go, but I know plenty of people who would buy both the vinyl and digital packages, so what I'm essentially saying is this: what's the harm in it?

The artist doesn't want to. Your desires don't matter.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm in a horror VHS group on Facebook because theres some cool stuff that was only ever released on VHS, or people have cool and unique editions of a film.

Let me be clear though, VHS people are loving nuts. Like certified wacko. They are obsessed and there's constantly wars between people over their crappy tapes. Some of them outright refuse to watch anything that isn't on VHS on a beaten up CRT TV. Like I can understand it for some super low budget films, but if you want to watch something as beautifully filmed as Suspiria on a poo poo setup in the wrong aspect ratio on a format that can't do red properly, be my guest. I saw some people throw a legitimate fit because someone trashed their collection, which was just things like Independence Day and Speed tapes.

This. VHS fans are kinda obnoxious and while I agree that something like Texas Chainsaw has an extra ambiance on VHS, the format just sucks.

Danny LaFever posted:

With regard to NWN I understand they're in business to make money so offer what will sell, but the idea of bands saying "We're going to release this on the most obscure format because we don't care about sales" is fine but it's also really stupid.

They are limiting a potential audience and in that case you might as well just do what a bunch of the old French Les Legion Noir bands did and not actually release the stuff beyond your circle of friends.

As a musician you should want people to hear your music, and releasing it in a way that the most possible people can hear it makes the most sense, otherwise why bother releasing it at all? It reeks of "TRVE CULT UNDERGROUND" bullshit elitism.

I'm still waiting for someone to release their album on 8 track or maybe one of those Edison style wax wheel things, if you're going to be a pretentious twit why not go all in.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Oldstench posted:

The artist doesn't want to. Your desires don't matter.

Unfortunately this is what it can boil down to. I still think it's stupid since I'm willing to support smaller artists and labels directly, but if they don't want my money then that's on them.

To help us back to the music side of things, here's a TRVE KVLT UNDERGROUND FVKK OFF POSER band from Spain, Deathwomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Sn8LNp_zE

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 2, 2017

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There are some bands that release songs (song, really) on 3.5" floppy disks. I'm waiting for some weirdo one-man black metal band to release something on a magnetic wire recording.

Tapes make sense still because they are cheap for bands and labels to produce, and plenty of people still have a deck laying around, either at home or in an older car.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A human heart posted:

They didn't go away in certain genres, punk and metal bands have been using tapes for demos since the 80s. It's pretty common in other genres like noise with a diy focus as well.

The general point is that musicians releasing stuff on old formats (besides vinyl, probably) is a gimmick meant to establish cred with people who want to be part of an in-crowd.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

dont even fink about it posted:

The general point is that musicians releasing stuff on old formats (besides vinyl, probably) is a gimmick meant to establish cred.

Or just because they like it and it's fun :shrug:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

The general point is that musicians releasing stuff on old formats (besides vinyl, probably) is a gimmick meant to establish cred with people who want to be part of an in-crowd.

Wow. You cracked the case.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Wow what a bunch of jerks, cassette tapes are the perfect and I mean perfect affectation for people who listen to music on cassette tape, if you don't like tapes you can at least appreciate the beauty in that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news is that with the process of cassettes being considered retro enough to be cool, we're about 10-15 years away from it happening to CD's. Really looking forward to getting all my new indie music on a lossless medium.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Danny LaFever posted:

And no one gets to hear them, so nothing lost in any case.

You people are seriously discussing tapes as a viable way of playing music? Tapes were a loving bad idea 25 years ago and I have not once missed the double tape player on my old stereo.
Ffs good luck playing one in a car even.
Once stuff was started to release on CDs, no one gave a gently caress about tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think the last tape I listened to was Puff the Magic Dragon when I was 4