Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Are there any appreciable differences between the 9.7" and 10.5" iPad Pros (aside from size) from a day to day use standpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pro has pencil support and beefier internals. If your day to day is basically web browsing, video/music, and the light game here and there the regular iPad is really nice I bought my brother one a few weeks ago and it’s pretty drat nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think he's asking for differences from the 9.7 PRO and the 10.5 PRO.

I know the bezels are smaller along the sides, and the Pencil sample rate is twice that of the 9.7.

THere's something else with the screen, but not sure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh poo poo my bad, didn’t hit me he was asking about the earlier pro vs the current one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 10.5" has the 120 Hz screen, the 9.7" is 60 Hz. The 10.5" is also faster.

Day to day, you probably won't notice unless you're using them side by side.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I should have included that I'm looking to pick it up to replace my badly aging iPad 3 and for my wife to do some limited sketching and design work (if she likes it, I'd end up buying her her own iPad Pro later).

I've already tried the Surface Pro line and haven't really been impressed with it (I've got a Windows desktop already), mainly with how odd the pencil feels.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Endless Mike posted:

The 10.5" has the 120 Hz screen, the 9.7" is 60 Hz. The 10.5" is also faster.

Day to day, you probably won't notice unless you're using them side by side.

Biggest thing with the 120hz screen is that there's quicker responsiveness when using the pencil. That said, the pencil on a gen1 iPad Pro is still incredibly good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

duffmensch posted:

I should have included that I'm looking to pick it up to replace my badly aging iPad 3 and for my wife to do some limited sketching and design work (if she likes it, I'd end up buying her her own iPad Pro later).

I've already tried the Surface Pro line and haven't really been impressed with it (I've got a Windows desktop already), mainly with how odd the pencil feels.

If she's really going to use the hell out of the pencil, the 120hz screen on the 10.5 is really great. The 60hz on the 9.7 is acceptable but if it's a killer feature for her, the 10.5 is the way to go.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Absolutely get the 10.5

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else noticing on the latest beta build that the news and widgets screen (left of the home screen) is REALLY sensitive. Like I try to scroll and anything I touch immediately loads.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Also pretty sure the 10.5 Pro has more RAM than the 9.7 Pro. It's only really noticeable in drawing apps like Procreate (allowing you more layers per drawing) and I guess in Safari if you keep a bunch of tabs open.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I'm contemplating getting an iPad Pro 10.5. I'm currently using an iPad Air 2. Is it worth upgrading?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Er not really unless you need the Pro-specific features like the pencil.

Now if you wanted the 12.9 that's another story. That's a drat fine piece of tech right there.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Taima posted:

Er not really unless you need the Pro-specific features like the pencil.

Now if you wanted the 12.9 that's another story. That's a drat fine piece of tech right there.

I'd get the 12.9 but I'm worried it is a little too big. The size of the Air 2 has been great for me, and the 10.5 is close to that.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

DontMindMe posted:

I'm contemplating getting an iPad Pro 10.5. I'm currently using an iPad Air 2. Is it worth upgrading?

I did make that jump. I read alot of digital comics, and they look fantastic. All my apps where fine on both iPads. But if a bigger and much higher quality picture is worth your money, great, otherwise wait until the Air breaks.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You spent like $600 to read comic books a bit better?

I won't judge, but I would argue that it's not a compelling use case for most people, and most people would not derive enough of an upgrade going from Air 2 to 10.5 Pro to justify dropping like 600 bucks over just using the tablet they already own, especially if they aren't trying to use the Pencil or other Pro-specific features.

I mean let's be real man the screen is not even 1 inch bigger.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DontMindMe posted:

I was very very happy going from the Air 1 to the pro 10.5.

If you can afford it and will use it, get it.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Crossing my fingers for a mini 5/pro on the 12th

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taima posted:

I won't judge, but I would argue that it's not a compelling use case for most people, and most people would not derive enough of an upgrade going from Air 2 to 10.5 Pro to justify dropping like 600 bucks over just using the tablet they already own, especially if they aren't trying to use the Pencil or other Pro-specific features.

For sure, and "much higher quality picture" is really overselling the Air 2 to Pro difference.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Taima posted:

i bought the 512 for more comic storage!!!

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Well I mostly bought the new one to give the old one to my little brother. But yes, my point was it wasn’t that big of a difference and to hold off until the wheels fall off his Air.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Is the public beta stable enough these days? Really want to try it out on my 10.5. I know the phone beta had a few kinks in it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't had any real issues on my 12.9", but my iPhone has some stupid issue with audio (for three betas now) but I rarely use audio stuff, so I don't know if it's present on the iPad.

They should be approaching a GM in a couple weeks, in any case.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't had any real issues on my 12.9", but my iPhone has some stupid issue with audio (for three betas now) but I rarely use audio stuff, so I don't know if it's present on the iPad.

They should be approaching a GM in a couple weeks, in any case.

No app that doesn’t need to be playing audio plays it here on a 12.9”, so I’m assuming something is broken but I’m not complaining. Music works, overcast works, all my lovely video apps work (Protube, a bunch of broadcast channel apps, Hulu, Amazon), videos in safari work, not a single in-app ad plays audio for anything else. It’s awesome

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“OMGzKakaniz”" post="“476000432”"]
Is the public beta stable enough these days? Really want to try it out on my 10.5. I know the phone beta had a few kinks in it
[/quote]

I think once they got past beta 4 I stopped seeing issues. I had it on my iPad only for a while but now I have it on both iPad and iPhone and I don’t have any issues whatsoever on daily use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

No app that doesn’t need to be playing audio plays it here on a 12.9”, so I’m assuming something is broken but I’m not complaining. Music works, overcast works, all my lovely video apps work (Protube, a bunch of broadcast channel apps, Hulu, Amazon), videos in safari work, not a single in-app ad plays audio for anything else. It’s awesome
Everything *works* on my iPhone, my issue is that it doesn't seem to recognize anything but Music as having audio focus, so if I'm playing a podcast in Overcast, if I hit the button to pause, it fades it out and fades in whatever music played last. Similarly, if I connect to my Carplay head unit, it won't show Overcast in the Now Playing app, instead showing whatever was last played in Music.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I've been having a weird issue since the last beta when playing music in my car. For some reason, it'll play a second or so of a track, then switch to another one. I think it's resetting because I keep it on shuffle, and at one point I tried skipping to the next track, and it repeatedly went to the same one. I've seen the issue on USB and bluetooth.

If I pick a track manually it plays it fine, even if it's something it jumped past. I just rebooted the phone, so I guess I'll see what happens on the way home.

There's a chance it has something to do with the Waze directions doing something weird, but even with the directions turned off, once it starts skipping it won't stop.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
the iOS11 GM comes out in like a week and a half. I'm sure that will fix it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Man, the smart keyboard for the Pro 10.5 is the poo poo. The typing feel is even better than my Macbook

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Went ahead and installed the PB on my 10.5. Last question is when the GM drops am I fine just keeping the PB profile on there and they updating it with the GM? iOS 11 definitely feels build for the iPad so far. It’s a great update

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Went ahead and installed the PB on my 10.5. Last question is when the GM drops am I fine just keeping the PB profile on there and they updating it with the GM? iOS 11 definitely feels build for the iPad so far. It’s a great update

Yes, but unless you go and remove it, you'll start receiving public betas of 11.1 once those start to roll out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

Yes, but unless you go and remove it, you'll start receiving public betas of 11.1 once those start to roll out.

And doesn't going back the GR cycle require you to restore from a backup? I seem to recall that was the case when I tried public betas for 9, and it was such a pain in the rear end to go back to the general release I'm not really that interested anymore.

However, for someone that needs to admin a fleet of these things or a dev, I can see it being invaluable being on a beta release track.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 7, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

And doesn't going back the GR cycle require you to restore from a backup? I seem to recall that was the case when I tried public betas for 9, and it was such a pain in the rear end to go back to the general release I'm not really that interested anymore.

However, for someone that needs to admin a fleet of these things or a dev, I can see it being invaluable being on a beta release track.

You can unenroll your Macbook from betas without restoring, but reverting to a general release version will require a restore. So once 11 GR drops you’d install that and then unenroll if you want to unenroll without restoring.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

shrike82 posted:

Man, the smart keyboard for the Pro 10.5 is the poo poo. The typing feel is even better than my Macbook
I agree. I've been typing with Ulysses on my iPad and I love it so much that returning to my MacBook Pro (or hell, even my PC with a mechanical keyboard) feels woefully inefficient and unsatisfying. It's kind of a weird position to find myself in, heh.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 9, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made an Apple event thread. The iPad line got the 10.5" model and Pro revisions so I wouldn't expect anything iPad specific beyond iOS 11's features and release date.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there a range when ios11 is expected to come out?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ethanol posted:

Is there a range when ios11 is expected to come out?

Should be a few days before the new iPhones come out if previous release are any indication. Assuming there’s nothing crazy with the reveal, pre-orders should be this Friday at midnight PST with the phones releasing next Friday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPhone 7/iOS 10 event was September 7, 2016, and iOS 10 was released publicly on the 13th. So probably next Monday for iOS 11 unless you're on the Beta track, in which case the GM will probably be out tomorrow.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So iTunes is updating HD movies to 4k with compatible devices. This includes the iPad Pro, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

So iTunes is updating HD movies to 4k with compatible devices. This includes the iPad Pro, right?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. OMG just stop.

I think it only upgrades specifically content you purchased on iTunes and only when you play it on an Apple TV.