Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

man, the weapon unlock system in Splatoon is rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love it if Blackbird Interactive (Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak) made a Star Wars RTS

Deserts of Kharak was pretty dang good :hfive:

I just want more RTS games :negative:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dogsicle posted:

You get new weapons the more you play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dogsicle posted:

What aspect? The long wait and lack of choice about which you get next?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

You get new weapons the more you play

and you have to play exponentially more for each subsequent weapon, on top of earning the money to buy it. money should be enough of a barrier/reason to play.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Isn't Lawbreakers just mediocre, its wait times for matches arbitrary long, its leveling system slow as poo poo and its actual multiplayer features pretty barebones? People that I talked to who played it just dropped out because they felt that the game was wasting their time a lot more than its competition.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I suppose so, but you also have access to every weapon type after just a handful of hours, later unlocks are just like loadout variants on sub/special.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in the middle of the Hero variant grind though and hoo boy that's a lot of work for a weapon skin that does literally nothing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's hard to tell what I'll even unlock in some cases, so that makes it seem like a bigger deal that I can't have such-and-such gun based on a cool silhouette.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

exquisite tea posted:

Lawbreakers saw how the mass appeal of Overwatch brought in millions of people who otherwise would never play an FPS and ran in the exact opposite direction so far it time traveled 20 years back into the Attitude Era.

stop saying things that make me want to play lawbreakers, i don't want to support CliffyB

Palpek posted:

Isn't Lawbreakers just mediocre, its wait times for matches arbitrary long, its leveling system slow as poo poo and its actual multiplayer features pretty barebones? People that I talked to who played it just dropped out because they felt that the game was wasting their time a lot more than its competition.

thank you, "it's an FPS with a leveling system" is exactly what i needed to hear

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dogsicle posted:

and you have to play exponentially more for each subsequent weapon, on top of earning the money to buy it. money should be enough of a barrier/reason to play.

The weapon unlock system is no different from any other shooter

and you can use food / drink tickets to increase the money / xp you get

and between turf war, ranked, and salmon run, you should have more money than you know what to do with, I hit level 30 yesterday and have over 300k and have bought everything in the shops

and you get all the best weapons by level 10 anyway

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

raditts posted:

The weapon unlock system is no different from any other shooter

and you can use food / drink tickets to increase the money / xp you get

and between turf war, ranked, and salmon run, you should have more money than you know what to do with, I hit level 30 yesterday and have over 300k and have bought everything in the shops

and you get all the best weapons by level 10 anyway

none of these mean the system is good, sorry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never have money because I spend it all on rerolling stuff but I also don't play Salmon Run at all

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but you should all be blown away by this WB Games and Forthog DLC thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-01-shadow-of-war-developer-who-died-of-cancer-immortalised-as-an-in-game-orc-slayer

quote:

Monolith executive producer Michael Forgey, who died from a brain tumour last year aged just 43-years-old, appears in Shadow of War as DLC character Forthog Orc-Slayer.

If you have the £3.99 DLC ($5), Forthog will on occasion appear to one-hit kill whichever enemy the player character is up against. Think the Mysterious Stranger from the Fallout series.

Forgey, who was married with three children, was a music enthusiast who played in a band made up of Monolith staff called Orc Slayer. Accordingly, Forthog Orc-Slayer wields a devastating guitar axe, which you can see in the video below. (The song was written and performed by Forgey himself.)

WB Games will donate $3.50 of every Forthog Orc-Slayer purchase to the Forgey family through 31st December 2019, Monolith said.

In the video below, Monolith studio head Kevin Stephens and director of art Phil Straub remember Forgey, celebrate his life and explain how Forthog came to life.

Except in the announce trailer in the fine print it says this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-15muasKW58

quote:

Donations will be made on any purchases from 1 of the 50 US or D.C. (but, excluding purchases from AL, HI, IL, MA, MS, and SC) Void where prohibited by law. Your purchase is not tax deductible

So basically they're selling a DLC stating every purchase will have some donation towards the developers family, except if you buy it outside the US WB Games is pocketing it all with no promise of it going to the family. This is all on top of their other announced plans for DLC, Season Pass content, a Totinos partnership, and microtransactions that was put into the game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

dogsicle posted:

none of these mean the system is good, sorry

Well I mean, if you want to spend your time crying about inconsequential poo poo with simple solutions, that's your prerogative

In Training posted:

I never have money because I spend it all on rerolling stuff but I also don't play Salmon Run at all

SR bonuses frequently give you 32000g a pop, I've gotten almost 100k from a single day's worth of bonuses before

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
unlockable gameplay elements are universally a garbage mechanic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's an onboarding thing. So people try different weapons as they unlock them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Well I mean, if you want to spend your time crying about inconsequential poo poo with simple solutions, that's your prerogative

a game using a tedious system that is common in other games does not mean the system is good, or i shouldn't expect/want games to buck that trend. meal tickets are rewarded infrequently, mostly from a side mode totally different from the main game that is only open during certain windows. you finding money to be plentiful doesn't invalidate it as a gating mechanism either. i've consistently been stuck juggling between buying new weapons and clothes, especially when ordering clothes. so i'd rather feel like i only have to grind money via whatever mode i'm interested in, instead of grinding the time-limited mode to get exp boosts so when i grind the main modes i level up enough to unlock more weapons i then i have to pay for.

there's plenty of longevity in their strategy of splatfests and the occasional new map/weapons, to have unlocking new and interesting stuff be this much of a chore is dumb.

e: and i'm saying this as someone who is level 20 and has played og splatoon a ton too. there are other issues with the game's experience from level 1-10, but this is more about where i'm at currently and just wanting more options to play with.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Lawbreakers saw how the mass appeal of Overwatch brought in millions of people who otherwise would never play an FPS and ran in the exact opposite direction so far it time traveled 20 years back into the Attitude Era.

I can respect him for putting 0 bullshit progression/microtransaction mechanics in the game, but it seems like a terrible idea as far as actually getting people to play it. Even Counterstrike has loot boxes these days.

e:actually, reading this page it sounds like it does have them so whatever idk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never really thought of that aspect as a chore because the end result of unlocking a new weapon is playing more Splatoon with it. The one thing I didnt like about 2 is that i had to play 10 levels of turf war to unlock the real game again. But idk how they would get around that, like link with my NNID with Splatoon 1 info? It was a nice way to remember how to play at least

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Moon Monster posted:

I can respect him for putting 0 bullshit progression/microtransaction mechanics in the game, but it seems like a terrible idea as far as actually getting people to play it. Even Counterstrike has loot boxes these days.
Lol what? Lawbreakers has leveling, microtransactions and lootboxes.

Edit: ah, you added the edit in the meantime

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

unlockable gameplay elements are universally a garbage mechanic

Only time I've seen it done in an enjoyable manner is in the Devil May Cry series. Because you pick what you unlock and typically those things get you exponentially more money/points to unlock more poo poo as you go.

Whereas in shooters the items cost exponentially more time and credits to get without increasing your income.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiS4zI0fzrA&t=189s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always wanted to play that game :/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Onboarding is great for a single player mode and that should be one of its main goals, as a tool to slowly teach people who may be new to the game mechanics in a controlled environment where they can learn at their own pace and they can start with the simplest options and add onto them piece by piece.

But if you have a competitive multiplayer mode, everything non-cosmetic in that mode should be available to the player from moment one

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Onboarding is great for a single player mode and that should be one of its main goals, as a tool to slowly teach people who may be new to the game mechanics in a controlled environment where they can learn at their own pace and they can start with the simplest options and add onto them piece by piece.

But if you have a competitive multiplayer mode, everything non-cosmetic in that mode should be available to the player from moment one

You unlock everything you need in Splatoon by level 10, which you can reach in like an hour of play, because while the single player mode is like an extended tutorial, it's reasonable to assume that most people will never play the single player mode in a multiplayer shooter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

You unlock everything you need in Splatoon by level 10, which you can reach in like an hour of play, because while the single player mode is like an extended tutorial, it's reasonable to assume that most people will never play the single player mode in a multiplayer shooter.

Unpocking stuff like that is still dumb and bad. Teaching players how to get better at your game is good, but unlocks are not that.

Mmo trends and loot boxes will be the death of video games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You have access to like 80% of weapon types at Level 4 which takes approximately 10 minutes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

You have access to like 80% of weapon types at Level 4 which takes approximately 10 minutes.

Then why not 100% at 0 minutes? It is a totally pointless gate.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well if you Main the Splattershot Jr it is 100%

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I couldn't do an hour of continuous play in Splatoon because I didn't like having only two maps active at a time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

chumbler posted:

Unpocking stuff like that is still dumb and bad. Teaching players how to get better at your game is good, but unlocks are not that.

It's good imo because you want people to get the basics of shooting and moving down before they try to jump in and be terrible with snipers and other weapons. Also so they don't drag you down in ranked modes. How effective that winds up being in practice is another question, but I have no problem with it in theory.

Why are people acting like progress based unlocks are some kind of new thing that is totally ~* ruinin vidgams *~ and not something that has been a common aspect of games for almost two decades now

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 2, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

Mmo trends and loot boxes will be the death of video games.

single player games ftw

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They expect me to...play the game for nearly 15 minutes?! haha that's not happening.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

raditts posted:

According to my Switch, I have more than fifteen hours of time in Splatoon 2, probably more than ten hours in multiplayer. I am still level 9 and don't have enough coins to buy all the weapons and gear, let alone that there are weapons that I need about 15 more levels for.

Like even if 80% of the possibility space for loadouts is available to players almost off the bat, that 20% is still a problem. Even if it doesn't offer significant advantages, it still means that people who have dumped more hours into a game get to have more choices, which in a competitive setting is slightly lame.

chumbler posted:

Then why not 100% at 0 minutes? It is a totally pointless gate.

:yeah:

raditts posted:

Why are people acting like progress based unlocks are some kind of new thing that is totally ~* ruinin vidgams *~ and not something that has been a common aspect of games for almost two decades now

I don't think they are new, I think they have been totally ~* ruinin vidgams *~ for almost two decades now!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Palpek posted:

Lol what? Lawbreakers has leveling, microtransactions and lootboxes.

Edit: ah, you added the edit in the meantime

Yea, cosmetic only though. Splatoon not letting you choose between actual weapons, often with totally different play styles, without unlocking them is kinda crappy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

According to my Switch, I have more than fifteen hours of time in Splatoon 2, probably more than ten hours in multiplayer. I am still level 9 and don't have enough coins to buy all the weapons and gear, let alone that there are weapons that I need about 15 more levels for.

Wow, I have no idea how this is possible but okay.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it definitely takes more than an hour to get level 10. i think i hit it after playing a couple hours for a few days

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jay Rust posted:

The opening cinematic and the item descriptions are the only objective storytellers in the game, and even then only the former gives you any information about the greater context, and you don't even realize it the first time you watch it! Everything else is obfuscated by half-relevant NPC dialogue, leading to that foggy sense of direction the series is known for

Patches is the narrator writing the item descriptions in my head canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fir the life of me, I'm having trouble really getting into Splatoon, which honestly surprised me. I didn't really get my fill on the original because I got distracted by other things but I always wanted to jump back in and give it a real try. Now that I have I'm just having trouble staying all that interested and I'm not even sure why. I like the concept and it feels good to play but I don't really like modes other than turf war all that much and even then I get kind of bored with it after not THAT much time. There are some concrete things I can say are bad about the game but nothing that's really a dealbreaker so I don't know why I just never really want to play it.

• Locked thread