Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

As someone who has spent 20yrs playing mostly non-MTG TCGs and spending a lot of time in stores like that they own a huge pile of garbage. Only a tiny subset of the rarest cards in those games is worth the labor it would take to find and ship them. Even if a card is worth anything finding the right buyer can be a huge headache. Some board games are worth money but again not many and finding the right buyer and ensuring the game is complete is awful

Around 2003 I was in one of those shops and they had a box of the defunct Vampire: The Eternal Struggle card game. Now I had a lot of fun playing that with friends back when it was new and I though, "Hey, I'll get that box for $10 or $20 and we'll have a fun evening or two with some decks I'll assemble out of it." Their price: $150. My negotiation tactic of, "You're joking, right?" didn't bring the price down, either.

What I'm saying is that nerd stores are traditionally very badly run.

(FWIW, those cards have made a bit of a comeback with people remembering that it was a pretty nifty game, but that was at the nadir of its popularity.)

The flip side of this is sometimes you get something super rare for a song because they're poorly run. A few years ago I saw copies of the board game Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit at a shop for it's original asking price. That game is long out of print and decent so it's very expensive. Sadly, I didn't have the $50 that moment but I figured I could just go back on Friday and get a copy since they had sat there for several years. Cue my brother who was with me saying to the shop's owner, "Dude! Those games are worth like $300 each!" I wanted to slap him so hard...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

I'm thinking of biting the bullet on a framemeister. Anyone with experience with one who can say whether it's worthwhile?

The youtube channel My Life In Gaming is unintentionally the biggest infomercial ever made for the Framemeister: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dzrCAfU3A

Spoiler Alert: It's a beast of a device that works perfectly. Especially if you feed it RGB.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I must have had an early Zip drive because mine was rock solid it's entire life. It was a parallel port version so I'm guessing it was early on in the life of Zip disks.

Storing 100mb on something the size of a stack of two floppies was mind blowing :psypop:

Well, early or late you're fine. It was just the short middle period where you have drives that are actively dangerous to use your disks with because Iomega wanted to shave 5 cents off the manufacturing cost per unit. One way to be sure you have a good drive is to have a drive that can read 750 MB Zip disks (though 750 MB drives may only read the original 100 MB, they can't write to them) - the drive protection bits were never removed from those, though they were removed from some 100 MB and 250 MB drives.

The Zip drives you want to avoid were manufactured from roughly mid-1997 to late 1998. So drives that were manufactured in the 2000s are safe, and those 1996 and earlier are also definitely safe. Since Zip drives were in mass production from 1994 to about 2005, there's plenty of time thats safe.

Keep in mind that the proper drives don't mean your disks can't still be damaged, but it'll have to be from the effects of dust and dirt gunking up the disc itself or having things dropped on them to misalign internal components. And that's a problem for all disk types.

cosmicjim posted:

The cheapest point to get nes and snes sets would be at the earliest point you could track eBay data. That has me thinking, it would be cool to see that graph over time. It probably exists.

The cheapest point to get NES and SNES sets was generally when a store was fire-saling their back catalogs of such games to make room for newer ones.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 31, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I would think it would be near or just after end of the console's next gen successor.

And pricecharting has charts of all kinds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

I would think it would be near or just after end of the console's next gen successor.

And pricecharting has charts of all kinds.

I'm just talking about that because when the local mall's former Babbage's (having just rebranded to GameStop at that point finally, I think they were fairly late in rebranding) was clearing out their NES, SNES and Dreamcast titles and a bunch of Game Boy stuff to make more room for their newer consoles, I was able to get a bunch of stuff that was to be sent off to regional headquarters for whatever it is GameStop planned to do, rung up for $0.50 or $1 or $2 each depending on console it was meant for and type of equipment since that was the clearance price they'd all been set to before being shipped out.

From this I got several $2 Game Boy Pockets, several $1 Game Boy Cameras and Game Boy Printers, lots of 50 cent and 1 dollar games and accessories across all those systems. Even at the time, if I wanted to buy those online much of that would have gone for over $10 at least. Later I ended up reselling most of those things for tidy profits, or trading others for things I really wanted at higher values.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

It also highlights one of the weird conundrums of things being rare and expensive, in that things have to be produced in pretty small quantities for something to become rare, and the reason things end up in small quantities is usually "because it was a bad product that no one cared for and should have stayed that way."

90% of the very good NES games are under $20 for this reason, often under $10. But pricing gets a bit complicated with video games because of changes in taste, continuing series, and the dependence on the sales of a specific set of hardware.

When the press started writing a lot about LoH: Trails in the Sky in early 2014 the loose price of the first Legend of Heroes game on TG16 more than octupled in 6 months.

Because JRPGs were less popular in 1994, it was a good but not great game with amazing modern sequels, and it was for the TG16 Super CD so you needed a Duo or $400 of TG16 peripherals to play it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Somebody really needs to rerelease Rule of Rose. Trying to get a PS2 emulator running on my mac makes dropping 200 on it look like a reasonable thing to do.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

Somebody really needs to rerelease Rule of Rose. Trying to get a PS2 emulator running on my mac makes dropping 200 on it look like a reasonable thing to do.

Why not get a fat PS2, Free McBoot "for all intensive purposes of research", and whatever happy lil' digital image of an optical disc happens to make its merry way onto a blank DVD/IDE hard drive/SD card-acting-as-an-IDE=hard-drive you might have laying around?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Why not get a fat PS2, Free McBoot "for all intensive purposes of research", and whatever happy lil' digital image of an optical disc happens to make its merry way onto a blank DVD/IDE hard drive/SD card-acting-as-an-IDE=hard-drive you might have laying around?

I don't often get to do this, so forgive me.

:eng101:

The phrase you meant to use was: "For all intents and purposes of research."

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Given the quotation marks, I have to wonder if :thejoke:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My copy of Twin Snakes came in the mail! :toot:

Even still has the mail-in flyer to Konami EU promising FREE GAMES if I'll only tell them which consoles I own (PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, GBA SP or PC!), my favourite genres, and how I heard about this game. I love finding old stuff like this in second-game games :allears:.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How can I get better at fighting in Blades of Steel?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mash the buttons as god intended?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I don't often get to do this, so forgive me.

:eng101:

The phrase you meant to use was: "For all intents and purposes of research."

I believe you mean intensive porpoises. Check you're grammar.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

Mash the buttons as god intended?

Yeah mashing punch does the trick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd forgotten how good the dialogue is in Twin Snakes :allears:.

Metal Gear?!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Around 2003 I was in one of those shops and they had a box of the defunct Vampire: The Eternal Struggle card game. Now I had a lot of fun playing that with friends back when it was new and I though, "Hey, I'll get that box for $10 or $20 and we'll have a fun evening or two with some decks I'll assemble out of it." Their price: $150. My negotiation tactic of, "You're joking, right?" didn't bring the price down, either.

What I'm saying is that nerd stores are traditionally very badly run.

(FWIW, those cards have made a bit of a comeback with people remembering that it was a pretty nifty game, but that was at the nadir of its popularity.)

The flip side of this is sometimes you get something super rare for a song because they're poorly run. A few years ago I saw copies of the board game Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit at a shop for it's original asking price. That game is long out of print and decent so it's very expensive. Sadly, I didn't have the $50 that moment but I figured I could just go back on Friday and get a copy since they had sat there for several years. Cue my brother who was with me saying to the shop's owner, "Dude! Those games are worth like $300 each!" I wanted to slap him so hard...

Vampire the Eternal Struggle was still in print with new sets coming out in 2003. It didn't cease production until 2010.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I'm thinking of biting the bullet on a framemeister. Anyone with experience with one who can say whether it's worthwhile?

It's worth it. I had some problems at first, there's a learning curve and a lot of configuration you can set. By default mine wasn't actually outputting at an HD resolution, which defeated most of the purpose, and took me a few weeks to figure out. Once you get over the learning curve it's wonderful. You'll also quickly realize that the price isn't just the price of the framemeister, getting your consoles setup for RGB output can get expensive, too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

what I typically do is hold block and block high, wait for the other guy to throw a high punch, and immediately after I block it drop my block and throw a few high punches or mixed high and low, then go back to high blocking.

The AI tends to prefer high punches from what I've seen, and usually can't block punches thrown during the few frames after a block

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lol if you don't just spam punches in blades of steel

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My copy of Twin Snakes came in the mail! :toot:

Is the logo/etc. on disk 2 cracking from being applied too thickly? This seemed to happen to a lot of people but it's like 50/50, has no effect on the game just curious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the logo/etc. on disk 2 cracking from being applied too thickly? This seemed to happen to a lot of people but it's like 50/50, has no effect on the game just curious.

Nope, mine's intact! :toot::toot:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neo Rasa posted:

That's definitely mine. What a weird problem that was.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looking to finally get a Saturn, but have a question about Pseudo Saturn. I know you use it by flashing a Action Replay, but I seen some entries on ebay with a preflashed Action Replay that mentions it still has the ram function still with the save function and cheats of course not working. Is that accurate or you just flat can't use the extra ram while using Pseudo Saturn?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The RAM cart side still works fine, since there's not any software on the cart that makes it work.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Star Man posted:

Selling off my Magic stash has helped me out of a tight spot before, but lol at the idea of it being an investment.

Oh man, you would LOVE this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTp-iVOtTrKau0skmfZlo5Q

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 2, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have a Pseudo Saturn set up and you can't use the save functionality but the RAM still works. You might want a second AR for saves and cheats for games you dont need to boot off of burned discs.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Too bad I won't be able to play it since their preorder planning was so hosed and they'll never make enough units to meet demand.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You could also look into a Gamer's Cartridge, which'll enable playing backups, importing and direct saving (to an SD card!); you'd lose out on the extra RAM, however.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Shadow Hog posted:

You could also look into a Gamer's Cartridge, which'll enable playing backups, importing and direct saving (to an SD card!); you'd lose out on the extra RAM, however.

I have one of those. It's pretty cool and the creator is a really nice guy. It seems he's out of stock for now, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, also because I couldn't find the information myself when I started doing Saturn backups, the Action Replay/Pseudo Saturn cart does work correctly for the SNK games that only work right with the 1MB cart.

It doesn't work for KOF95/Ultraman though, obviously.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

You're reminding me that I still need to dig up a copy of disk 1 of Twin Snakes. The problem for me is that everyone I've found selling disk 1 on their own wants enough that I might as well have just bought a complete copy. $2 for disk 2 wasn't bad, so I'm holding off until I find disk 1 especially cheap.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A bit of an off-the-wall question: are there IPS patches for Genesis/Megadrive games which modify games for 6-button controllers? For example, making it so that games which support them but default to assuming you have a 3-button, now have the default option set to 6-button? Or games which were originally 3-button games which got patched for 6 buttons in some capacity?

Techokami
Nov 13, 2007

For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems.

univbee posted:

A bit of an off-the-wall question: are there IPS patches for Genesis/Megadrive games which modify games for 6-button controllers? For example, making it so that games which support them but default to assuming you have a 3-button, now have the default option set to 6-button? Or games which were originally 3-button games which got patched for 6 buttons in some capacity?

Very unlikely. The Six Button Controller was more or less a gigantic hack. Some games even performed poorly with it; that's why there is a Mode button to force the pad to work in a 3-button mode.

EDIT: An explanation with the person that pointed me to this question.
code:
[2:47 PM] Kinsie: i'd like to know more about how the six button pad was an ultra kludge
[2:47 PM] Kinsie: was it like two controllers glued together or something
[2:47 PM] Techokami: not really. This is gon' be technical, so pull up a chair
[2:48 PM] Kinsie: it's nearly 5am and i'm watching twitch streams. i'm ready for all of the tedious bullshit.
[2:50 PM] Techokami: okay so, the way the Genesis pad works is that it reads different button states based on the edge of the clock cycle
[2:50 PM] Techokami: it always reads the D-Pad stage each cycle
[2:50 PM] Techokami: on HI edge, it reads the B and C buttons
[2:51 PM] Techokami: on LO edge, it reads the A and Start buttons
[2:51 PM] Techokami: because there are only 9 pins on the controller connection
[2:52 PM] Techokami: so, how does the 6-button pad squeeze in the other 4 buttons?
[2:52 PM] Kinsie: poorly, i'd wager
[2:52 PM] Techokami: it runs on an 8 cycle system
[2:52 PM] Techokami: the first 5 cycles are the same as a 3-button pad
[2:53 PM] Techokami: then things get strange
[2:53 PM] Techokami: cycle 6, it reads A and Start, and reports zeroes for the D-Pad
[2:54 PM] Techokami: cycle 7, it reads B and C, and then the 4 new buttons where Right = Mode, Left = X, Down = Y, Up = Z
[2:55 PM] Techokami: cycle 8, it reads A and Start and throws garbage to ignore into the D-Pad
[2:56 PM] Techokami: so to properly support the 6-button pad, you have to make your input processing code work on an 8-cycle system, 
and know when data is for the D-Pad, when data is for the 4 new buttons, and when data is poo poo that you ignore
[2:56 PM] Techokami: which is beyond the scope of a simple ROM hack
[2:57 PM] Techokami: and horribly breaks on games that rely on reading inputs on a 2-cycle system
[2:57 PM] Techokami: Double Dragon II and Golden Axe II are two games that malfunction with a 6-button pad
[3:03 PM] Techokami: at least it isn't as bad of a kludge as having to put a new CPU in the game cartridge because the console itself is complete garbo

Techokami fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 2, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Since I got back into the game last year, I have learned about Alpha Investments. I guess he runs a handful of stores or something and is thus able to amass that kind of product. The guy that runs my FLGS takes this guy way too seriously.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Star Man posted:

Since I got back into the game last year, I have learned about Alpha Investments. I guess he runs a handful of stores or something and is thus able to amass that kind of product. The guy that runs my FLGS takes this guy way too seriously.

He is amusing to listen to, but I am not putting money into cardboard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Drowning Rabbit posted:

He is amusing to listen to, but I am not putting money into cardboard.

There's buying cards that are expensive for play and hoping that when you need to sell them, you can get as much as you can out of them and accept the loss. I prefer eternal formats because I don't have to constantly keep up with a rotating format and buy poo poo that will probably become worthless in 18 to 24 months.

Then there's buying as big a stack of cards at $10 that might become some kind of a power card in eternal formats or in standard and you can flip them for $25 each. God bless those that got lucky on it, but there's a ton of cards that get overhyped and turn out to be duds or decent but not quite insane enough to get a 350% jump on the secondary market. Then you're out money and have a stack of cards that no one wants or you have to sell them for less than you got them for in the first place just to get rid of them. Just...gently caress go put that money into shares of a promising or safe business or some poo poo or something I don't know.

Don't invest in mass-produced collectible items hoping that you can make a bunch of money you loving idiots. Just don't.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
You don't have to call me a loving idiot you know....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I probably broke even on what I spent on MTG back in the late 90's early 00's and how much I sold my complete collection for in college for beer money. Though that did include getting a deck or so's worth of free cards from a kid at school because he was tearing some in half at lunch one day because there were slight markings/wearing on the backs and he did tournaments I guess. I stopped him after the 3rd card and said to just give them to me. Were older stuff from Unlimited through Dark Moon... maybe Alliances. This was during Ice Age, after the first Portal came out (which is what I bought after he gave me those cards). Played through 7th edition/Apocalypse.

Those things are definitely not an investment for that vast vast majority of people. You'd really have to get lucky with boosters to not lose money.

If my kid(s) got into it in a decade or so, I'd probably make a deck and whoop their asses until they got good.

IT could be worse, people buy digital booster packs in video/mobile games. Talking about a waste of $$.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 3, 2017

• Locked thread