Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just bought the last two tickets for the 7 PM Alamo Drafthouse screening in Brooklyn next Friday. All the Thursday night shows are booked. I feel like this movie is about to do really, really well.

One question is this: Say the movie does well, they do a sequel, it does well. They announce they're making a prequel that takes place in colinial Derry. ya'll down or no?

Individual movies for each loser, and a Henry Bowers spin off franchise.

I'm so hyped for this movie. My big worry now is that it my expectations may be way too high. I'm going to finish the book this weekend then watch the original mini. Next Friday can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm rereading the book right now, and I'm starting to wish this was a 10 part Netflix series or something. There's just so much awesome stuff in the book that they'll never be able to properly tell even with two movies. Like I know apparently the Black Spot is included this time around, but I feel like that chapter deserves 10-15 minutes of screen time to tell properly. Same with the Bradley Gang. Those stories are great because you get the whole backstory and the gradual buildup before the big awful thing happens. The movie will probably just have Mike be like "The Black Spot used to be in this spot. It was a club for black people that got burned down and a lot of people died, my dad told me about it once."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Plus youd have time to include the bully jerkoff session

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kevyn posted:

I'm rereading the book right now, and I'm starting to wish this was a 10 part Netflix series or something. There's just so much awesome stuff in the book that they'll never be able to properly tell even with two movies. Like I know apparently the Black Spot is included this time around, but I feel like that chapter deserves 10-15 minutes of screen time to tell properly. Same with the Bradley Gang. Those stories are great because you get the whole backstory and the gradual buildup before the big awful thing happens. The movie will probably just have Mike be like "The Black Spot used to be in this spot. It was a club for black people that got burned down and a lot of people died, my dad told me about it once."

Interestingly, despite the shot from the trailer of Mike seeing the Black Spot burning, the full scene apparently didn't make it into the final film.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kevyn posted:

No matter how good the movie is, there will be things not included which will disappoint me. Making the silver slugs, the smoke hole, hockstetter's craziness, the ironworks, the dam building (hard to imagine this wouldn't be in it though...), bill and richies first trip to the neibolt street house, the skateboarding kid and finding silver, the lumberjack massacre in the 1800's, Eddie Cochran's death, and a million other parts of backstory. Heck, the tale of what happens to Eddie Cochran's stepfather, culminating with with his suicide and a note saying "i saw eddie tonight, he was dead" is chilling and fantastic, but has absolutely no place in a 2 (4) hour movie(s).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if this movie is really great i would be okay with waiting a couple decades and filming the sequel with the same actors. worked very well for twin peaks.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Walrus posted:

if this movie is really great i would be okay with waiting a couple decades and filming the sequel with the same actors. worked very well for twin peaks.

God drat it now I want to see David Lynch's take on a IT. Or really David Lynch doing anything by King would be pretty awesome.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just bought tickets for Thursday's premier! I'm pumped.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Plus youd have time to include the bully jerkoff session

Wait, did King write a second prepubescent sex scene? I've never read the book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Prepubescent bully jerkoff section is literally a thing that happens yes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's a lot of odd moments where characters would have quick sexual inner thoughts, even towards children. Like Adult Ben making note of the 17 year old not wearing a bra, and seeing her nipples. Or the kids thinking about Bev naked. I get it, it's a very human thought process. But it feels odd sometimes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also a fitting name for a fledgling high school punk band.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

There's a lot of odd moments where characters would have quick sexual inner thoughts, even towards children. Like Adult Ben making note of the 17 year old not wearing a bra, and seeing her nipples. Or the kids thinking about Bev naked. I get it, it's a very human thought process. But it feels odd sometimes.

You can kinda see what he's going for, since so much of IT is about the transition between childhood and adulthood, and the different standards and values of both those worlds. But a lot of the sex related stuff is incredibly clumsy [gangbang, the weird diversion about Beverly's feminist friend, the whole thing with Stan's borderline retarded wife] and also once you read more of King's work you realise he's a bit peculiar when it comes to sex and relationships and it ends up being a bit squicky and not in the good way.

That being said though IT is baller as gently caress and the film looks similarly baller and I am loving HYPED for some spooky clown action.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Fart City posted:

I'm kind of expecting adult Stan to be played by someone of unexpected note, to sort of set the stage for more prestige actors to sign on for the sequel.

Yeah, exactly. Whoever they cast as the grown up they show will be someone buzzworthy so Monday articles will all have clickbait "You Won't BELIEVE Who Showed up in IT!" appeal.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

CelticPredator posted:

There's a part in The Body where Gordie has a dream of the other three boys' dead corpses floating in a river. King goes into detail describing their little prepubescent penises bobbing in the water.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Let's all just hope this thing is cool and good and does well. I think despite all the excitement and hype the second one all depends on that. Like, they haven't even cast one single role yet for part two.

Which makes me wonder, what are they going to call part two? Literally IT 2?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

MrMojok posted:

Let's all just hope this thing is cool and good and does well. I think despite all the excitement and hype the second one all depends on that. Like, they haven't even cast one single role yet for part two.

Which makes me wonder, what are they going to call part two? Literally IT 2?

THAT

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
ⅡT

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IT 2: Space Clown Boogaloo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Beaten. You fucker.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
IT: Pennywise Lives

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Beaten. You fucker.

You could say you were

Beaten ⅡT

:smuggo:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

one bully jerks off another one then offers to suck him off to which the jerked off bully says "no gay stuff" and then calls him a fag

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I would expect it would just be IT: Part II.

The nerd side of me wants it to be IT: Ritual, after the Ritual Of Chud.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

IT2: ITs About Time

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

2 Penny 2 Wise

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^IT'll be this.^^^

It is a little strange that they haven't done anything about part 2 though. That's not really common is it? If you already PLAN on two films? I can't think of a precedent.

I'm a little concerned because I think if part 1 does as well as I think it will, then part 2 will have pressure to include "star power", celebs will lobby for roles, and the vision of the director in the wake of the inevitable internet criticisms, nitpicking and dogpiling may get sacrificed.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

That, and the fact that the adult portion of the story has a very different kind of momentum, with more grounded threats like Bev's husband being thrown into the mix. It's been awhile since I've read the book, but I remember the supernatural elements being somewhat more reserved. Other than the dinner scene and when Bev goes back home, there aren't many other "set piece" moments until the end, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

That, and the fact that the adult portion of the story has a very different kind of momentum, with more grounded threats like Bev's husband being thrown into the mix. It's been awhile since I've read the book, but I remember the supernatural elements being somewhat more reserved. Other than the dinner scene and when Bev goes back home, there aren't many other "set piece" moments until the end, right?

Quite the opposite.

the second part is far less grounded and way more supernatural.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Maybe my recollection is blurring things together. The book isn't really divided in half, but intermingles the childhood and adult sections throughout.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

Maybe my recollection is blurring things together. The book isn't really divided in half, but intermingles the childhood and adult sections throughout.

true. Back half of the book features a giant space turtle, magic asthma guns, a giant clown spider and a ride into outer space though.

and a gangbang

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It is a little strange that they haven't done anything about part 2 though. That's not really common is it? If you already PLAN on two films? I can't think of a precedent.

Last I heard tentative shooting for part two was supposed to be March 2018. But it was always contingent on the success of the first one. With the buzz around the film and things we've heard and seen, I don't think there's any danger of part two being cancelled though.

This first one was rumored to have a planned 30 million dollar budget back in 2015. Possible the studio(s) have kicked in a little more for them to use in post-production, due to how promising this one looks? I dunno.

I would think budget and casting for part two would be about the same (relatively low and unknowns) but if this one really blows up, who knows?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a12148709/it-clown-child-photoshoot/

Haha, some guy dressed his 3 year old brother up like Pennywise and took some creepy loving pictures

He did Tim Curry Pennywise too

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kevyn posted:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a12148709/it-clown-child-photoshoot/

Haha, some guy dressed his 3 year old brother up like Pennywise and took some creepy loving pictures

He did Tim Curry Pennywise too

father of the year right here.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

banned from Starbucks posted:

one bully jerks off another one then offers to suck him off to which the jerked off bully says "no gay stuff" and then calls him a fag

Which was only the second most hosed up thing to go down in that particular junkyard that day.

Patrick Hocksetter never had a chance, but his thoughts were chilling enough that being sucked dry by giant mosquitoes and having his corpse dragged off almost seem like Pennywise was phoning it in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

IT: Pennywise Lives

This seems most likely

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Davros1 posted:

This seems most likely

I'll take that bet.