Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah, that's the thing about ice. If you go through, there's nothing to hold on to. You are swimming from the get go, because once the ice breaks (obviously it's thin enough for you to have broken through to begin with), it may very well have lost the structural intergrity to bear your weight around the hole, so you won't be climbing out unassisted. Of course, if you're not a moron (though a person who ventures out on thin ice for any reason is a moron) you're out there with something you can use to pull yourself horizontally along the ice like ski poles or a knife, but you lose the ability to use your hands pretty quick once you go in. There's a reason a dip like that is standard in arctic survival training, because it causes you to make damned sure you never get into that kind of situation.

Thing is, that gif isn't really showing anything particularly dangerous. Now, doing the same on a frozen river - especially one with a bit of a current - now that's damned near a death sentence. Variable thickness ice, current that drags you under ice, moving water to freeze you quicker, possibly rotten ice from brackish or temperature varied water... gently caress it, if you go through like that might as well take a deep underwater breath and get it over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

IPCRESS posted:

code:
inegyptpollsshowthatmajoritiesbacklegalcodesbasedonshariapunishmentsfromthekoranandgivingclericsthepowertodraftlegislation

That's essentially my password. Though I use random takes from a big dictionary rather than sentences, plus some punctuation and capitalization. It's a breeze to remember compared to :I2ZlI|=(/bo0oO5S. Correct horse battery staple all the way man.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just use Pi. You know, all of it. :shobon:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I just use Pi. You know, all of it. :shobon:

I tried that but I could never remember the last digit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We all use pi, or at least part of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My work has a mildly onerous password policy. Nothing too crazy, but I liked how when it went into effect the olds that work there acted like the world was coming to and end. Our intranet site lets people comment on the news bulletins posted there, usually any particular time might get one comment at best, maybe two. The news bulletin about the password requirements had dozens upon dozens of posts from olds pulling their hair out and gnashing their teeth about it. "There's only so many hours in the day, how can we possibly be tasked with remembering a password with UPPERCASE AND LOWERCASE LETTERS?!?!?! MADNESS!" or "People will quit over this! This is just upper management adding one more task to our day! I won't participate!"

One women in my department was brought to tears just from hearing about what was going to be required. She hadn't even tried to create the newer stronger password yet, or even forgot it, just hearing about it was enough to send her into hysterics. It doesn't help that we have an automated password reset system in place in case you forget it, but again, no one over the age of about 47 will ever use it because "What am I, made of time or something?! That'll take forever. And look, it makes you click on a window! Pfft, gently caress that."

Uh did you ask the person literally sobbing over a password policy if everything was ok at home

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Prolly wasn't, is my guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
She said she tripped over a password and ran into a door. That's definitely what happened, that was all that happened. Honest.

But seriously, some olds did quit over it. Any time there's any tech upgrade that might require even the most modest of learning, someone will decide it's time for early retirement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This. This is what happens when you outlaw "price gouging."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'll happen regardless, you'll just reduce the amount of people who can afford to panic buy supplies.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
The funniest thing about that poo poo is how insane it seems if you've never lived in the endless exurbs where filling your gas tank is an every day occurrence. I drive maybe 10 miles a week now, but used to live on a rural ranch that was surrounded by the sort of area where kids learn to siphon gas and spit start cold engines at a pretty early age. This tends to make for a great mix of "desperately afraid of running out of provisions" and "too stubborn to ever do anything to prepare for the inevitable," with a big old dash of "uneducated and poor but thinks everyone is going to take their stuff" and "gets all information from local snake oil salesman." I've no doubt that several of those pictured immediately drove to the gun store to buy ammunition after they'd filled their trash bags.

Can't wait to see how many people found out that gasoline is a really good solvent of other polycarbonates...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phanatic posted:

This. This is what happens when you outlaw "price gouging."

Actually, this is what happens when companies are allowed to use any excuse to gouge.

You condition people to think that every time a hurricane hits houston or a refinery blows up in california or a dog sneezes in maine that prices are going to increase by an amount that has a noticeable effect on their finances.

Then it hits the news that one of those things happened and they hoard to soften the blow.

You're suggesting that because these people put their arms up when they're about to get hit that they deserve to get hit even harder.

well, most of them do deserve to get hit, but gouging is a bad behavior that breeds even worse behavior. If everybody is able to fill every garbage bag the own with gasoline, supply is obviously less of a concern to them than price.

e: i live 2200 miles from houston.

A hurrican happen gimme money

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 2, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wouldn't gasoline eat right through a plastic garbage bag

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Efexeye posted:

You know that video of the raccoon trying to wash its cotton candy in water before it eats it?

http://i.imgur.com/iqgIIwN.gifv

This is the human version of that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Efexeye posted:

Garbage bags are generally made of polyethylene, which can handle organic solvents like gasoline.

:goonsay:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A bigger problem is that the volume of gasoline that a trash bag can accommodate is far, far in excess of the weight it (or most humans) can physically carry around.

Typical black trash bag like that is 30 gallons. Let's say you can fit 25 gallons in and still tie it - that's 200 lbs of sloshing liquid. Good luck.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9OTZCRI2H8&t=25s

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Powershift posted:

Actually, this is what happens when companies are allowed to use any excuse to gouge.

You condition people to think that every time a hurricane hits houston or a refinery blows up in california or a dog sneezes in maine that prices are going to increase by an amount that has a noticeable effect on their finances.

Then it hits the news that one of those things happened and they hoard to soften the blow.

You're suggesting that because these people put their arms up when they're about to get hit that they deserve to get hit even harder.

well, most of them do deserve to get hit, but gouging is a bad behavior that breeds even worse behavior. If everybody is able to fill every garbage bag the own with gasoline, supply is obviously less of a concern to them than price.

e: i live 2200 miles from houston.

A hurrican happen gimme money

I don't think these guys are hoarding gas on the assumption it will get much more expensive, instead that it might run out and then they'll get to feel like the smart survivalists who knew what to do when poo poo got real or whatever (never mind they'd only be exacerbating any real short term problem).

The increase in gas prices far away from Houston is almost certainly due to the loss of refining capacity in the gulf region.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 2, 2017

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Its great how this was all predicted decades ago, except they didn't factor in the most damaging factor of all: human shortsightedness

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8F0fQEYLU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrasobHcKA

E: content!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VyLVcW0w1Q

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 3, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
A post about the shoe coming off

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

No idea of context, I just know that an electrical shock isn't a good way to start your morning.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

No idea of context, I just know that an electrical shock isn't a good way to start your morning.

It's an exciting water heater for your shower! Relaxing hot water! And death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjA0aee07k

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karate Bastard posted:

That's essentially my password. Though I use random takes from a big dictionary rather than sentences, plus some punctuation and capitalization. It's a breeze to remember compared to :I2ZlI|=(/bo0oO5S. Correct horse battery staple all the way man.

Thanks.

:nsa:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX7vKQ5TLOA

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Not quite OSHA, but took this picture the other day and thought of this thread:

MANAGER: Hey, Kid, we need some signs made up for the bathrooms. There's an example in this style guide.

EMPLOYEE: *takes the example right out of the guide*

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I went to a beach hotel this week for a business trip, and this was the shower in my hotel room.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

evobatman posted:

I went to a beach hotel this week for a business trip, and this was the shower in my hotel room.

Every shower should have a ceiling boob.

Yeah, I doubt that has a GFCI.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are fancy words like "choking hazard" and there's

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Кричащий огонь (screaming fire)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2d8psT-YLA

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lime Tonics posted:

Кричащий огонь (screaming fire)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2d8psT-YLA

THE SUMMONING IS COMPLETE

What material wealth do you desire, human?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ok, this isn't OSHA because it's unsafe, but it sure is some next-level bathroom design.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/PerfumedConstantAzurevase.webm

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://gfycat.com/DeadGlassDuckbillplatypus

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

This actually owns

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe NJ is right to require an attendant pump all the gas.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Dead gifv?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh, looks like they deleted it. 'Twas a fireman who was apparently very very bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

the first comment is surprisingly good