Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArfJason posted:

sometimes i wonder what was worse, having to deal with the gargantuan success that was homestuck or, if its true, being conned out of a million dollars

while the conjob thing is really unfortunate, i find it hilarious that the first thing Hussie did when he came back to the comic afterwards was kill the entire cast off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but they released Tales From The Borderlands, one of their two good works, in that time so you can at least do one good thing during that time.

The Wolf Among Us is the other good one, I'm assuming, because that one is great.

And it's finally getting a second season!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mr. Thicc Praxis is such a good Twitter name, and yet it's immediate outdone by Ltd. Liability Cool J.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Wolf Among Us is the other good one, I'm assuming, because that one is great.

And it's finally getting a second season!

You're right. Some people would then reply "BUT WHAT ABOUT TWD" forgetting that all zombie fiction is trash.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I like the Batman ones...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wolf Among Us had a great first episode but then it had a six month delay and then the second episode was crap. Rest of the season was a bit of a mixed bag and never managed to be as good as that first episode was.

The Walking Dead at least understood why people connected with the game and managed to stick the ending with a satisfying finish, even if the rest of the season was touch and go. Then the second season happened and everybody bailed because jesus it was bad.

I think I finally dropped Telltale when I realized they made Game of Thrones incredibly boring and even gave you game overs for not picking the right dialogue choices, you know, the reason why people play their games in the first place.

I was enjoying Tales From the Borderlands for the two episodes I played but GoT soured me enough that I didn't have the motivation to finish.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wolf Among Us had a great first episode but then it had a six month delay and then the second episode was crap. Rest of the season was a bit of a mixed bag and never managed to be as good as that first episode was.

The Walking Dead at least understood why people connected with the game and managed to stick the ending with a satisfying finish, even if the rest of the season was touch and go. Then the second season happened and everybody bailed because jesus it was bad.

I think I finally dropped Telltale when I realized they made Game of Thrones incredibly boring and even gave you game overs for not picking the right dialogue choices, you know, the reason why people play their games in the first place.

I was enjoying Tales From the Borderlands for the two episodes I played but GoT soured me enough that I didn't have the motivation to finish.

Wow, STRONGLY disagree with your opinions regarding The Wolf Among us. Of course, I played it after all five chapters were out more or less in one sitting. If you do it like that, it all flows together great.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Wow, STRONGLY disagree with your opinions regarding The Wolf Among us. Of course, I played it after all five chapters were out more or less in one sitting. If you do it like that, it all flows together great.

Yeah same.Playing any Telltale game episodically is kind of a trap and makes the overall experience worse.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Idunno the last one I played was Strong Bad's Cool Game and it was a cool adaptation of the flash series, but that was like 10 years ago I guess

Wanna play the Wolf Among Us though, someone got it for me on Steam and said I'd be into it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spellman posted:

Wanna play the Wolf Among Us though, someone got it for me on Steam and said I'd be into it

You're gonna love it, you don't need to know anything about the comic it's based on to enjoy it. In fact going in blind might make the experience even better. It's a good blend of fantasy and classic detective Noir.

Man, I really hope the episodes of Hiveswap aren't too far apart. Like people have said, that can be a death sentence for episodic games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dont be tempted to read the comic after, or if you do, jump off when Wolf starts going 'Israel was right'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

dont be tempted to read the comic after, or if you do, jump off when Wolf starts going 'Israel was right'

Yeah. Sadly that author turned out to be a real shitbag, huh.

You're gonna love it, you don't need to know anything about the comic it's based on to enjoy it. In fact going in blind might make the experience even better. It's a good blend of fantasy and classic detective Noir.

Man, I really hope the episodes of Hiveswap aren't too far apart. Like people have said, that can be a death sentence for episodic games.

The other episodes and other series are not coming out.

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.

President Ark posted:

The flash is actually going to be act 6.

Like, all of it. At once.

From 2011.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, Wolfamongous was good but the six month delay and clear heavy rewrites (because Willingham only told them 'no you can't have a mortal discover the fable world' AFTER they'd plotted out the season to include that) killed a good amount of my passion with it. On the other hand, I consistently still remember Grendel rolling on ludes in my day to day, so it was still good.

Never played the GoT one but a friend got it free on PS4 so we might just get ripped and see how bad it all is. Looking forward to phoned-in celeb appearances!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/904420022981976064

Tobyfox has officially done more for PR for the game than Hussie has in the last year.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, Wolfamongous was good but the six month delay and clear heavy rewrites (because Willingham only told them 'no you can't have a mortal discover the fable world' AFTER they'd plotted out the season to include that) killed a good amount of my passion with it.

Ooooooooh, that explains why that stuff with the detective went nowhere! That's a shame, that could have been an interesting plotline.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ooooooooh, that explains why that stuff with the detective went nowhere! That's a shame, that could have been an interesting plotline.

Yep! The original image for Episode 3 was her in street clothes with a gun, outside the Woodlands. Wolf Among Us, like much of Fables, ended up good in spite of Willingham, not because of him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RandallODim posted:

Yep! The original image for Episode 3 was her in street clothes with a gun, outside the Woodlands. Wolf Among Us, like much of Fables, ended up good in spite of Willingham, not because of him.

Yeah, sounds like it, kind of hope he has less creative control in Season 2.

Still, The Wolf Among Us is a good game and I'd recommend playing it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I remember not being bothered by the wolf among us's release schedule difficulties, I think because I jumped on partway through the season and I was already pretty comfortable with delays between Telltale episodes by that point. It's good, and if anything I think it helps a lot not knowing the comics (or even that there were comics) so you can kind of take it more seriously instead of thinking about "Oh well they won't show this or that because this happens in the comics". Sort of the same problem the Game of Thrones game had where by intersecting too much with the source property you knew their hands were tied (GOT game spoilers)Every scene with Ramsay Bolton sucked rear end, knowing he had plot immunity.

The Walking Dead handled it well enough by having only the occasional cameo by known characters and otherwise going their own way. Tales from the Borderlands actually seemed to get permission to advance the Borderlands story a bit and they ended up doing a better job of it than the original games, lord knows I had no interest in Borderlands before that game and it completely won me over. As far as I'm concerned that's the series they should've continued and if they pull off a Borderlands 3 it should take some cues from what worked there.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Tales From The Borderlands won me over completely when the guards asked what was up with my anime satellite.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Game of Thrones was so disappointing. They should have just let you break canon, as it is you spend a lot of time interacting with characters like Cersei, Margaery, Tyrion and Ramsay knowing that your decision points around them really don't matter because they're going to have plot stuff happen to them in a few episodes.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Android Blues posted:

Game of Thrones was so disappointing. They should have just let you break canon, as it is you spend a lot of time interacting with characters like Cersei, Margaery, Tyrion and Ramsay knowing that your decision points around them really don't matter because they're going to have plot stuff happen to them in a few episodes.

I watched a bit and the fact that even the choices make you aware that 'Kill Ramsay' isn't actually on the table when you have a knife to his throat is the funniest part. Who the gently caress isn't going to choose the option to attack him, just to spite the narrative?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

RandallODim posted:

I watched a bit and the fact that even the choices make you aware that 'Kill Ramsay' isn't actually on the table when you have a knife to his throat is the funniest part. Who the gently caress isn't going to choose the option to attack him, just to spite the narrative?

Yeah, it was a serious millstone around the game's neck that it made heavy use of Ramsay as a central antagonist without letting the player diverge from canon. It would have been hugely invigorating if there was some way to take the story off its rails by dealing Ramsay a defeat or harming him in some material way, but the way they play it he feels like a weird immersion-breaking presence in every scene he's in, because even though he's just one guy with a knife being gratuitously evil, you know nothing bad is going to happen to him.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fancy Hat! posted:

https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/904420022981976064

Tobyfox has officially done more for PR for the game than Hussie has in the last year.
Hussie still hasn't done any kind of post on the MSPA site about the new release date.

I have to assume he didn't even go with What Pumpkin at PAX. I could understand this like 3-5 years ago when Homestuck fans would storm conventions, but I kinda doubt that'd be the case today?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Tales From The Borderlands won me over completely when the guards asked what was up with my anime satellite.

Tales From the Borderlands had me with the initial cast meet ups but it won my heart with Loaderbot.

What a hero.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, it was a serious millstone around the game's neck that it made heavy use of Ramsay as a central antagonist without letting the player diverge from canon. It would have been hugely invigorating if there was some way to take the story off its rails by dealing Ramsay a defeat or harming him in some material way, but the way they play it he feels like a weird immersion-breaking presence in every scene he's in, because even though he's just one guy with a knife being gratuitously evil, you know nothing bad is going to happen to him.

They should've let you cause a Time Paradox and the game becomes about escaping (actual show spoiler)Bran the time cop as they try to reassert the alpha timeline.

It might've made for a bad Game of Thrones game but it could still be a good Homestuck game.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The steam page is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/623940/HIVESWAP_Act_1/

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Credit where it's due I guess, a quick skim suggests they have made some sort of game, which is likely to actually come out in a week.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Grubbles album is live, I don't feel like listening to it right now but I got an email telling me I could if I wanted to.

Looks like they're really doing this thing.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
They are going to get sued by Blink 182

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The Grubbles album is live, I don't feel like listening to it right now but I got an email telling me I could if I wanted to.

Looks like they're really doing this thing.

i got the link too

i won't believe it's actually going to happen until the minute it does and not a second before, imo

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I have the link and care enough to ask if someone else would listen to enough of it to inform the rest of us whether it's worth listening too.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Bell_ posted:

I have the link and care enough to ask if someone else would listen to enough of it to inform the rest of us whether it's worth listening too.

It's pretty good. I like the synth sound that James Roach uses to approximate vocals. The music itself is punk rock in style, and the track Every Single Grievance is so Blink 182 I'm afraid they might get sued if anyone from that band even knew what Hiveswap was.

Edit: Songs are way too short though.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 8, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it all felt very samey to me, like, admittedly i didn't sit down in my listening chair and sip wine while i let the record play, but, i didn't really notice as one song ended and the next started

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You get
Track 1: broom temperature (from the trailer)
Track 2: frondly warning (released a while back on youtube)
Track 3: broom temperature again
Track 4: lighter major key upbeat broom temperature
Track 5: the one properly new song, with a bit of a reggae sound that brings to mind Scott Stutzman's masterpiece Falling for Ghosts.

It is ok but based on what we have heard so far the grubbels stuff seems to be the least interesting part of the soundtrack by a long shot.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you're not sold on the concept of the game, check out the alpha, it was awesome then, it'll be awesome now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk9CTiJSMAY

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In other Homestuck music news, the long-anticipated Land of Fans and Music 4 just came out:
https://unofficialmspafans.bandcamp.com/album/land-of-fans-and-music-4
Definitely worth a listen, there are a lot of great songs on it!
I also drew track art for the song Strife Mayhem

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thats really loving cool, but imo hussie should be riding falcor in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That is a good point, though I suppose technically he could be behind those rocks.