Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

"Yao-momo". Never change, Mina. :allears:

That becomes her in universe nickname from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Interesting deviation though I kinda like the shock panels of revealing their exam when they get into the exams

e: Oh nevermind, the entire intro is the same as the manga. Just might miss a few small jokes from pages.

Aurora fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The manga actually forgot to show us Aoyama and Shoji's grade ranks. But like I predicted it was Aoyama at 18th and Shoji at 10th.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eela6 posted:

I love that Bakugo and Kirishima really are friends. Bakugo is genuinely trying to help Kirishima here, even if he's being the usual rear end in a top hat about it.

I love that they're friends entirely because Kirishima is the only one who doesn't let Bakugo intimidate him with all his shouty explodey bluster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zetsubou-san posted:

during OP shitpost: I think that cold sequence was just for the gifable bit at the nd

at eyecatch: :tviv:

ED time: so hype right now

Same

Nephthys posted:

I want to see All Might beat the poo poo out of a child.

Same

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eela6 posted:

I love that Bakugo and Kirishima really are friends. Bakugo is genuinely trying to help Kirishima here, even if he's being the usual rear end in a top hat about it.

Its a good pairing, Kirishima is like the one guy who doesn't really need to be afraid of Bakugo's quirk at all.

PMush Perfect posted:

I love that they're friends entirely because Kirishima is the only one who doesn't let Bakugo intimidate him with all his shouty explodey bluster.

drat beaten

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

kirishima deserves a better friend

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I think you will find that Kirishima already has a great friend in Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu. :colbert:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like their reasoning for putting Todoroki and Momo together and I wish we could see their process for everyone

Still, putting together the two kids who got in thru Reccomendations and are some of the smartest kids in class together is a lil bit unfair, but at least they're fighting the guy who cancels Quirks

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Moltrey posted:

I like their reasoning for putting Todoroki and Momo together and I wish we could see their process for everyone

Still, putting together the two kids who got in thru Reccomendations and are some of the smartest kids in class together is a lil bit unfair, but at least they're fighting the guy who cancels Quirks

Being book-smart is completely worthless in the current scenario. Both definitely aced the writing test, but this is not that, this is a fighting test and why they're both bad at fighting was made clear in the episode itself: Todoroki gets through fights due to being an eugenics project gone right, his tactics are non-existent beyond "blast 'em full force with ice and/or fire" while Yao-momo is unable to make decisions in the heat of battle and as such wastes an useful quirk and her own intelligence.

Also we'll probably get the reasons for everyone else as their fights start, like Kirishima and Sato being together against Cementoss due to having physical, power Quirks which are a terrible match against Cementoss' walls, as well as very little in the tactics department that would've gotten them through such a disadvantageous situation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Terper posted:

Ooooh. This actually deviates from the manga. In the manga, all the fights were fought in different locations at the same time. I was kinda confused when they started numbering them as "first fight" and "second fight", but I like this.

It's a good change since it let's them comment on the fights through the two student observers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Ooooh. This actually deviates from the manga. In the manga, all the fights were fought in different locations at the same time. I was kinda confused when they started numbering them as "first fight" and "second fight", but I like this.

This is a good sign for the anime that they are willing to change things up in order to create a better story.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Being book-smart is completely worthless in the current scenario. Both definitely aced the writing test, but this is not that, this is a fighting test and why they're both bad at fighting was made clear in the episode itself: Todoroki gets through fights due to being an eugenics project gone right, his tactics are non-existent beyond "blast 'em full force with ice and/or fire" while Yao-momo is unable to make decisions in the heat of battle and as such wastes an useful quirk and her own intelligence.

Also we'll probably get the reasons for everyone else as their fights start, like Kirishima and Sato being together against Cementoss due to having physical, power Quirks which are a terrible match against Cementoss' walls, as well as very little in the tactics department that would've gotten them through such a disadvantageous situation.

Eh, Momo's not necessarily the best at that, but at the same time she has shown she's capable of innovative thinking, like when she created the insulation sheet in the USJ fight. It's just the constant hammering her self-worth has taken recently (both the tournament fight and then getting chosen just for her looks instead of anything to do with her powers) is really taking a toll on her.

And while Kirishima and Sato certainly weren't even attempting to utilize any tactics, in retrospect I'm not entirely sure what they could have done even if they had tried thinking the problem through. Both have incredibly direct physical quirks with not much in the way of side uses, and in the middle of a city is basically the worst possible battlefield you could encounter Cementoss on. Like, of all the teachers he's probably the one affected by the handicap the least. Their best bet probably would have been to split up and run away separately, because I seriously see absolutely no way for them to beat him. Even then it'd be a huge tossup, because neither of them have any particular speed or maneuverability to assist, and Cementoss could still throw up walls or domes as they ran away instead of advancing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, Momo's not necessarily the best at that, but at the same time she has shown she's capable of innovative thinking, like when she created the insulation sheet in the USJ fight. It's just the constant hammering her self-worth has taken recently (both the tournament fight and then getting chosen just for her looks instead of anything to do with her powers) is really taking a toll on her.

And while Kirishima and Sato certainly weren't even attempting to utilize any tactics, in retrospect I'm not entirely sure what they could have done even if they had tried thinking the problem through. Both have incredibly direct physical quirks with not much in the way of side uses, and in the middle of a city is basically the worst possible battlefield you could encounter Cementoss on. Like, of all the teachers he's probably the one affected by the handicap the least. Their best bet probably would have been to split up and run away separately, because I seriously see absolutely no way for them to beat him. Even then it'd be a huge tossup, because neither of them have any particular speed or maneuverability to assist, and Cementoss could still throw up walls or domes as they ran away instead of advancing.

They should have ran away or got a sneak attack on. Preferably trying to do the latter while doing the former.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kaubocks posted:

kirishima deserves a better friend

I think Kirishima is everyone's friend. Everyone everywhere seems to like Kirishima. The Hero so nice they made him twice!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Momo's Quirk is entirely reliant on her being booksmart, the only way she create anything is if she knows the atomic make up of it. Pairing her up with Todoroki where attacking for him is just a huge gently caress off wall of fire or ice works as great cover for her. Plus it's not like they're Bad at fighting, Momo's just inexperienced where Todoroki is, but he's simple.

As also with Deku and Bakugo, they're pairing off people who have the most to learn by being with each other and that's good, but also Todoroki and Momo are both top of the class and then you see Jiro and timid boy and well this just seems a tad uneven

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like inflexibility is a real killer if you're gonna be a hero. A villain isn't going to care that Kirishima and Sato have quirks poor suited to fighting them. They need to still be capable of doing something in that highly plausible situation. If Deku was swapped in (with one of their quirks too) I feel like he'd figure out a frontal assault wasn't working and try something else like retreating (Cementoss was noted to not be very fast) or getting out of sight and launching a surprise attack. Deku's quirk couldn't do poo poo during the race yet he still got in first due to his flexibility, creativity and strategy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Moltrey posted:

Momo's Quirk is entirely reliant on her being booksmart, the only way she create anything is if she knows the atomic make up of it. Pairing her up with Todoroki where attacking for him is just a huge gently caress off wall of fire or ice works as great cover for her. Plus it's not like they're Bad at fighting, Momo's just inexperienced where Todoroki is, but he's simple.

As also with Deku and Bakugo, they're pairing off people who have the most to learn by being with each other and that's good, but also Todoroki and Momo are both top of the class and then you see Jiro and timid boy and well this just seems a tad uneven

Yeah but they are fighting Eraserhead so they won't be able to use their quirks most of the time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kirishima and Sato got greedy and started punching towards Cementoss to capture him when they should've taken advantage of his lack of speed (and also the travel time of his cement creation) by punching away from him. Sato could've grabbed Kirishima and threw him as hard as he could out of the arena since that would satisfy the win condition (the heroes are outmatched, one of them must escape to call for help).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Petiso posted:

I don't get it, what's so good about her?
holy poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Petiso posted:

I don't get it, what's so good about her?
How did I miss this

That is an incredibly amount of effort for a shitpost. :golfclap:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Invisible girl has no other abilities besides being permanently invisible, right? I don't know what kind of pro-hero work she could even do, when to fully exercise her quirk she has to be totally naked and not carrying anything, which means she can't even use weapons or tools. Unless she secretly is built like Sakura from Dangan Ronpa I'm not sure what she could really accomplish in a combat scenario.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

She got through the entrance exam somehow though. She'd be great at saving hostages, chasing down purse-snatchers or bank robbers or sneaking up on villains without much durability and bopping them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Invisibility is a pretty good power. Not flashy, but very practical.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She'd be very useful for infiltration missions, especially if she learnt skills like breaking into computer systems.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
She can't make her clothes invisible though, so she can't wear protective gear. That's why she lost so hard to Todoroki, she couldn't step over his ice and couldn't deal with the cold at all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I mean none of them knew what he could do so even if she's in a costume she'd be frozen in place. I think she does say she's naked but imo they could be able to make something out of her hair like they did for Mirio and his phasing outfit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
this isn't the manga thread we haven't encountered him yet

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

In the manga it's eventually shown that she refracts light around her body and has some control over that, but we won't get to that for a while.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Slime posted:

She can't make her clothes invisible though, so she can't wear protective gear. That's why she lost so hard to Todoroki, she couldn't step over his ice and couldn't deal with the cold at all.
She doesn't need to get into fights if no-one knows she's there, though. You could imagine her going first into a villain base and disabling the security systems before the rest of her team enters, for example.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

She doesn't need to get into fights if no-one knows she's there, though. You could imagine her going first into a villain base and disabling the security systems before the rest of her team enters, for example.

she'd probably have to open a door to get in there

a door that might require an identity card

an identity card that from the eyes of someone passing her in the corridor is floating around

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Supplementary material has suggested that there's more to Hagakure's quirk than invisibility.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lord Koth posted:

The way Cementoss used his attacks he pretty much completely killed any forward visibility he had. He was definitely open to anyone that would try to sneak around to him instead of just trying to tank the forward path. Also, the show has so far hammered in the concept that quirks are for the most part physical activities that strain the user while they're used. Cementoss, being a pro, probably has a lot of stamina, but you could fight a battle of attrition against him smarter than "just break through every single barrier".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also I feel as though they are being graded on how they attempt to handle the situation so a duo that fails but tried to do something smart is going to get a better score then a team that falls for the obvious trap.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Also I feel as though they are being graded on how they attempt to handle the situation so a duo that fails but tried to do something smart is going to get a better score then a team that falls for the obvious trap.

That's generally how these things go. I doubt they're genuinely expected to outfox a pro hero, it's all about how much they make the pro work for the victory.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Momo needs to take art classes

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Kinda unfair for Kirishima and Sato that everyone else gets time to prepare and strategize while their test began right away.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pakled posted:

Kinda unfair for Kirishima and Sato that everyone else gets time to prepare and strategize while their test began right away.

Iirc, in the manga all the fights were simultaneous.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

In the Manga they're all testing at the same time. Which also adds a layer of 'oh dang' with so and so failed already or so and so won already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Pakled posted:

It is, but all they really had to do was think "maybe we should go around the regenerating concrete walls instead of trying to bust through them.

I kind of hope we get Sato in the commentary room next, dude hasn't gotten much development in the manga.

• Locked thread