Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Javes posted:

I will be spending $200 on the this game (deluxe edition for PS4 and PC).

Counting the console upgrade, that I wouldn't buy PS+ for another game, past Eververse purchasing, base game cost, additional season pass and expansion potential costs, I anticipate that a 3yr life cycle for D2 will cost me...

a measly $1010.

I'm into it. Let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Microsoft store was bugged and let me buy the Destiny through Rise of Iron pack for $39.99, so I got in on this game for the cheap.

Then I spent another 500 on a xim, monitor, keyboard, mouse, 3x lighthouse recoveries, and a bullet to kill myself

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Microsoft store was bugged and let me buy the Destiny through Rise of Iron pack for $39.99, so I got in on this game for the cheap.

Then I spent another 500 on a xim, monitor, keyboard, mouse, 3x lighthouse recoveries, and a bullet to kill myself

Build a PC to play the game and you would be better off. It runs REALLY well on even medium hardware.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was about to call you guys crazy for spending $1000 on Destiny, then I remembered I bought a white PS4 and XIM4 next-day air for the sole purpose of playing Destiny 1 so I'll shut up.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I own 5 copies of Diablo 3 sooooo

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Just requested to join HOTDOG. Also, I pre-ordered after the beta, will it pre-download and then activate on release day or will it try to download the whole thing in release day?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PyroDwarf posted:

Just requested to join HOTDOG. Also, I pre-ordered after the beta, will it pre-download and then activate on release day or will it try to download the whole thing in release day?

I don't know many games that don't load early these days.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

PyroDwarf posted:

Hey I got you approved. Requests go right to my phone. Love that feature.

You'll have access to pre-load. No idea when but it'll happen before 10/24.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if you guys want to keep throwing away money I set a garbage bin up outside my house

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if you guys want to keep throwing away money I set a garbage bin up outside my house

plot twist, the garbage bin is his house and you are just giving him the money

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I own 5 copies of Diablo 3 sooooo

But what does your wife do?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

plot twist, the garbage bin is his house and you are just giving him the money

spoiler that poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

why would you buy a xim when D2 is on PC

Like I could understand if you really love mouse and got a xim 4 years ago for D1 but jeeze

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Zaphod42 posted:

why would you buy a xim when D2 is on PC

Like I could understand if you really love mouse and got a xim 4 years ago for D1 but jeeze

Because if you have a xim, you can force the game to think you are playing with a controller and use the ridiculous aim assist with a mouse and keyboard. It's completely broken on PC and I have my doubts that Bungie will ever fix it because the strength of aim assist is a thing they actually put into each individual weapon and specific perks like the choice of which sight to use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ihatepants posted:

Because if you have a xim, you can force the game to think you are playing with a controller and use the ridiculous aim assist with a mouse and keyboard. It's completely broken on PC and I have my doubts that Bungie will ever fix it because the strength of aim assist is a thing they actually put into each individual weapon and specific perks like choice of sight.

What is broken on pc? aim assist? Because you can aim with a mouse, you don't need assists like you do on thumbsticks.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ihatepants posted:

Because if you have a xim, you can force the game to think you are playing with a controller and use the ridiculous aim assist with a mouse and keyboard. It's completely broken on PC and I have my doubts that Bungie will ever fix it because the strength of aim assist is a thing they actually put into each individual weapon and specific perks like the choice of which sight to use.

you can just do that with free, undetectable software which give way better maximum mouse acceleration than the xim

we're on pc here

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

What is broken on pc? aim assist? Because you can aim with a mouse, you don't need assists like you do on thumbsticks.

Using aim assist with a mouse and xim is broken. The aim assist is really really strong and favors targeting directly at the head and gives a huge advantage to a player who is using a xim on the PC.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Zo posted:

you can just do that with free, undetectable software which give way better maximum mouse acceleration than the xim

we're on pc here

I've personally never tried it with software like that, but if it works then that's pretty much the same issue. Xim probably just has more exposure because a number of streamers (and other people who have complained) have mentioned it by name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ihatepants posted:

Using aim assist with a mouse and xim is broken. The aim assist is really really strong and favors targeting directly at the head and gives a huge advantage to a player who is using a xim on the PC.

That's hosed. They should just turn off aim assist on PC. If you wanna use a controller on PC that's up to you, or otherwise you should play console. M&KB should be the default for PC.

Man now I'm gonna be paranoid in crucible that everybody is using a xim. Probably not many who care that much though...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Seeing what one of those things costs, and watching skilled mouse users blow away auto-aimers, it seems like if you buy one of those for this game you might as well tape an "I'm bad and insecure and I need desperately to feel better about myself" sign on your head.

Christ, MOBA/MMO people spend less money on account boosters.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's hosed. They should just turn off aim assist on PC. If you wanna use a controller on PC that's up to you, or otherwise you should play console. M&KB should be the default for PC.

Man now I'm gonna be paranoid in crucible that everybody is using a xim. Probably not many who care that much though...

This game has native 21:9 support (as in, people with ultrawides have edge vision people with 16:9 monitors don't) and throw in high refresh rate monitors and so on and it's never really a fair fight anyway in terms of people being able to buy an advantage. They shouldn't rob the perfect experience they've made re-creating the console experience for controller users on a chance a very small number of people will exploit it.

The number of deaths you'll take to people with xim is so small, just like the number of people on the Steam Hardware survey shows the people reported using 21:9 resolutions is presently at 0.98%.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 3, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think Destiny should have dogs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

This game has native 21:9 support (as in, people with ultrawides have edge vision people with 16:9 monitors don't) and throw in high refresh rate monitors and so on and it's never really a fair fight anyway in terms of people being able to buy an advantage. They shouldn't rob the perfect experience they've made re-creating the console experience for controller users on a chance a very small number of people will exploit it.

The number of deaths you'll take to people with xim is so small, just like the number of people on the Steam Hardware survey shows the people reported using 21:9 resolutions is presently at 0.98%.

How many people are really going to need to play with controller on PC though? M&KB is inherently more accurate, so you should just embrace that, or otherwise go console. How many PC gamers prefer FPS with console? The only reason people learned to do FPS on controller was games like Halo, the default was always M&KB.

Yeah aspect ratio does give more view and that is an issue, but you can change FOV so you can always force the wider view even with a smaller monitor! :) So not really a balance issue too bad there.

Higher frame rate monitors look smoother but don't necessarily play any different and I don't consider that to be a significant problem. A pro on a 60fps monitor isn't going to get destroyed by a casual on a 144hz monitor, nothing like that. But Xim + Auto aim sounds pretty bad.

But yeah, like I was just myself already saying, most people probably won't bother so I should just ignore it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Destiny 2 PvP on PC is going to be absolutely dominated by xim users which is so big time win I'm literally dying of lmao, lmbo and lol poisoning

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Black Griffon posted:

Getting to the real important poo poo right here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zaphod42 posted:

How many people are really going to need to play with controller on PC though? M&KB is inherently more accurate, so you should just embrace that, or otherwise go console. How many PC gamers prefer FPS with console? The only reason people learned to do FPS on controller was games like Halo, the default was always M&KB.

People who played Destiny 1 with a controller for years and want to keep that going.

Look, I have my Quake CD in my bedroom and I have the actual Half-Life box on a shelf next to me here with Unreal Tournament, UT2003, UT2004, etc. Certainly there's inherent advantages to mice and keyboard. But Destiny has some unique things going for it, and I couldn't get into the beta using my keyboard because of all the ability keys (slide/airdash, class ability, super, equipment screen, bring up Ghost for a waypoint, etc) was just too many bindings for me. It's not "WASD and space to jump" level simplicity, or even Overwatch level instinct. The game has floaty double jump rocket backpack physics that you could actually tune in the first game to make certain raid platformer segments harder or easier. There's a number of additional variables here, and it's like learning to ride a bike all over again.

I want to play the thing with a controller, like I did for many many many hours already. And I want more than 30FPS and I'm tired of paying money for PlayStation Plus. I'm sorry this game that isn't even trying to become a big money esport might have a couple extra cheaters because of that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Destiny 2 PvP on PC is going to be absolutely dominated by xim users which is so big time win I'm literally dying of lmao, lmbo and lol poisoning

don't die

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

People who played Destiny 1 with a controller for years and want to keep that going.

Look, I have my Quake CD in my bedroom and I have the actual Half-Life box on a shelf next to me here with Unreal Tournament, UT2003, UT2004, etc. Certainly there's inherent advantages to mice and keyboard. But Destiny has some unique things going for it, and I couldn't get into the beta using my keyboard because of all the ability keys (slide/airdash, class ability, super, equipment screen, bring up Ghost for a waypoint, etc) was just too many bindings for me. It's not "WASD and space to jump" level simplicity, or even Overwatch level instinct. The game has floaty double jump rocket backpack physics that you could actually tune in the first game to make certain raid platformer segments harder or easier. There's a number of additional variables here, and it's like learning to ride a bike all over again.

I want to play the thing with a controller, like I did for many many many hours already. And I want more than 30FPS and I'm tired of paying money for PlayStation Plus. I'm sorry this game that isn't even trying to become a big money esport might have a couple extra cheaters because of that.

Yeah but the game didn't stop being on console, you can get destiny 2 on your ps4 or your xbox one which you must already have if you played destiny 1. So its specifically "people who played destiny 1 on controller who also have a fancy gaming pc and want better graphics but prefer console controls to M&KB even though they are also a pc gamer" which seems like a minority.

Not having to pay for playstation plus is definitely good though and something I overlooked. gently caress Microsoft for convincing Sony to charge money for online access. Ugh.

Oh poo poo dude, this has nothing to do with big money esports. Don't misunderstand me. I give no fucks about esports.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm literally arguing with Zaphod42 :negative:

Look. It's not a PVP first game. And the performance on console (30FPS on refresh models especially) is just unacceptable. There's no tournament scene for this thing, so if a couple hundred people with Xim set their invisible MMR really high and then get matched up with each other, it's not a problem for me down here at Moron Level. If I encounter a Xim user ever, which is highly unlikely, they'll probably kill me a couple times and then rank their way up out of my league. And the people who normally play at the skill ceiling can gun them down.

It's literally a "problem" in as much as account boosting is, that someone is getting matched up with people they don't "deserve" to be matched up with because they are playing "unfairly". But even less, because there's no tournament scene and no public ranking.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Are we arguing? I just thought we were talking.

You were explaining your side and I was explaining mine. Why does everything have to be a fight?

Like poo poo dude are you even reading my posts?

Zaphod42 posted:

Probably not many who care that much though...

Zaphod42 posted:

But yeah, like I was just myself already saying, most people probably won't bother so I should just ignore it.

I'm not freaking out about this. Its NBD. Just something to talk about.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 3, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im really loving high and I don't know what we're talking about

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

im really loving high and I don't know what we're talking about

You and me both buddy :350:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The very first obscale in the King's Fall raid is a bunch of swinging platforms you have to jump across at the right time. I died to it dozens of times, the last man of my raid team to get across, because I jumped AFTER a recessed lip step in the architecture of the platform that you don't visually see in game (which is to say, you can run down the step smoothly with no "drop" or sense of vertical movement). After many failed attempts, it was suggested I push jump BEFORE this small recess in the geometry and I immediately made it across.

That's the kind of finely tuned control that bite your rear end in Destiny PVE, and telling someone to unlearn how they do that and re-learn on keyboard, when a perfectly ported controller layout is RIGHT THERE, for the "fairness" 10% of people who play the game for it's PVP that has no public ranking, is kind of lovely.

I don't mean to lecture, the PC port has brought a lot of people who have never played the first game and have no idea what the raiding experience is like. I only did it once, but as a guy who is well accustomed to FPS and 3D games there were times I was asked to land on ledges that I figured you weren't supposed to be able to land on unless it was a bug. It wasn't a bug.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 3, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Black Griffon posted:

This except cats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Played Destiny 2 beta today at PAX West on a GTX 1080Ti, and 16GB DDR4 RAM. It was pretty :eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

The very first obscale in the King's Fall raid is a bunch of swinging platforms you have to jump across at the right time. I died to it dozens of times, the last man of my raid team to get across, because I jumped AFTER a recessed lip step in the architecture of the platform that you don't visually see in game (which is to say, you can run down the step smoothly with no "drop" or sense of vertical movement). After many failed attempts, it was suggested I push jump BEFORE this small recess in the geometry and I immediately made it across.

That's the kind of fine level control that bite your rear end in Destiny PVE, and telling someone to unlearn how they do that and re-learn on keyboard, when a perfectly ported controller layout is RIGHT THERE, for the "fairness" 10% of people who play the game for it's PVP that has no public ranking, is kind of lovely.

IDK I played destiny 1 on controller and I played the beta on M&KB and it felt great and I had no problem adjusting.

But I am not "telling people" what to do. You're making that up dude. If you wanna play on controller go for it.

I guess you saw my suggestion that they don't offer aim assist on controller as saying people shouldn't be allowed to play that way? Sorry. I also though said "its not gonna be many people who use a xim so I should just ignore it" so... yeah. Don't take it so personally. I'm just thinking out loud.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Craptacular! posted:

That's the kind of fine level control that bite your rear end in Destiny PVE, and telling someone to unlearn how they do that and re-learn on keyboard, when a perfectly ported controller layout is RIGHT THERE, for the "fairness" 10% of people who play the game for it's PVP that has no public ranking, is kind of lovely.

Lmao that that sequence would be difficult for someone using any controller. Like Jesus Christ, that's the argument you're going with? If someone is that functionally disabled they probably aren't going to make it very far in the raid regardless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Destiny 2 on PC with a controller is straight up 100% the wrong way to play the game. Not sorry for telling the truth or hurting someones feelings over this. Deal with it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

Played Destiny 2 beta today at PAX West on a GTX 1080Ti, and 16GB DDR4 RAM. It was pretty :eyepop:

Did they have good swag? I managed to get a ticket for tomorrow and I want to know if going there will be worth it or if I should stick to just checking out the show proper.

e: I have no interest in playing Destiny 2 at the show, so disregarding that would going by the Bungie thing be worth it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Did they have good swag? I managed to get a ticket for tomorrow and I want to know if going there will be worth it or if I should stick to just checking out the show proper.

The merch booth has some cool stuff but you can just buy it on Bungie's website. Don't bother with the merch booth, the wait times are obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

The merch booth has some cool stuff but you can just buy it on Bungie's website. Don't bother with the merch booth, the wait times are obscene.

Oh drat. I was hoping for something exclusive. I guess my time will be better spent elsewhere.

• Locked thread