Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
According to the Perun guys it's the stress of getting bounced around offroad coupled with bushings that are too soft allowing slop in the tank support bolt fittings + bolts made of pot metal.

The bike comes with passenger pegs, it's supposed to be able to hold a 100+lb pillion. 30lbs in a top box probably isn't going to break anything and if it does the "high strength" tank bolt kit from Perun is like $70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, if the whole concern is the bolts in the tank itself, I've already done that whole upgrade already. It can support a lot more weight now.

I thought it was that the bolts for a tail rack are the 4 for the hand holds, which are sunk into the plastic tank. Like z3n said, Ive tugged on them pretty hard dragging the 690 out of places, and strapped things to them directly for a year. But maybe it's not the same as the lever action of suspending a rack out from center.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I put 150lb on a drz then put it on busted fire roads. Don't sweat it. your 690 subframe can't possibly be built any worse than the one the drz came with.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What subframe? That's cold cursedshitbox. That's really cold.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really like those detachable bags like Tourmaster makes - just strap/zip the buckles to your bike and you can clip the bag on/off as necessary. Really nice if you're in a higher crime area or you need your whole box with you without the weight.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
"You don't need to bring any tools Moe - I've got a workshop with every tool you'll ever need" - friend with a garage full of 3/4 wrenches

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw someone riding a cafe racer with this headlight. It worked about as well as you'd expect in bright sunlight.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I debated on one of those for my not-cafe bike, but figured they didn't really work in daylight.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Never understood the whole "ewwwww visible turn signals, must hack them off and Dremel some holes for a couple of micro LEDs or install an all-in-one poo poo-at-everything also using micro LEDs cheap Chinese horse glue replacement" thing.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

a e s t h e t i c s > safety

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kloa posted:

a e s t h e t i c s > safety

Well this is a motorcycle forum....

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When you ride in an environment where people don't really look at turn signals and don't understand the fundamental give way rules that are supposed to govern traffic it makes sense to just go for broke and look cool doing it. That's been my experience anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

When you ride in an environment where people don't really look at turn signals and don't understand the fundamental give way rules that are supposed to govern traffic it makes sense to just go for broke and look cool doing it. That's been my experience anyway.

That's a good point, I do live in Toronto.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I like to help out the few that do look. I think my problems come more from other people who don't use their signals

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

That's a good point, I do live in Toronto.

I've found people just generally don't anything here. :haw:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I've found people just generally don't anything here. :haw:

"Aggressively ignorant" is the best way I could come up with to describe drivers here.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
If you expect people to see your turn signals you've already lost, but also as I get older I like stuff like mini Koso blades more than invisible Chinese integrated tail light signals.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm gonna sell the fz I think, every time I ride it it's less fun and more chore

It's a fast bike but it sucks at everything else

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just got back from a couple of places in Europe, but I discovered Budapest has this odd trend where 95% of the bikers I saw were ATGATT (not including guys on scooters). For kind of warm weather, I was surprised to see everyone in full A* / Dianese gear, including pants. I would have felt underdressed in my usual all the gear except dickies for pants approach.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The only people I see in Sweden who don't ride in full gear are the cafe racer riders, and they spend most of their time parked outside a coffee shop anyway.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
Are there any good steps you can do to flood-protect a motorcycle, like if you thought such a thing might happen? Take the battery out, etc. Any areas you'd want to seal? I see a few things on what to do to restore a flooded bike, but not a lot of preventative stuff. No particular reason for askin'

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hang it from the rafters so it doesn't get wet in the first place, if you can

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Fill it completely with oil, including the exhaust and airbox. To the head.

But seriously, I don't think that there's anything you can do. ...Wrap the exhaust outlet hole (and any condensation draining holes) and the airbox inlet in 10 layers of saran wrap.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Put it in a giant ziplock bag.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Put it in a giant ziplock bag.

A thick bag meant for storing a bed, and seal the opening? I helped my roommate store his bed recently and they seemed pretty sturdy and should fit a bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Schroeder91 posted:

A thick bag meant for storing a bed, and seal the opening? I helped my roommate store his bed recently and they seemed pretty sturdy and should fit a bike.

use one of the bags you can suck the air out of otherwise you're going to have to retrieve the bike from the ocean when it floats away.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Lol yeah that's a good idea. I was thinking it would be in a garage for some reason.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
Ah yeah, I've seen those for winterizing and long storage, but didn't think they looked terribly robust. Guess it's probably worth a shot if the issue ever comes up.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You mean the VCI-KORROSIONSCHUTZ-FALTGARAGE?

Yeah, they are not thaaat sturdy, you wanna clear off the ground properly where you lay the bag before rolling the bike in, hitting pokey gravel will make a hole in them. It's best to use them in a garage or something.
We've used them in unheateded but semiclosed garages with no problem.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

New rubber day today!

Gotta wait for the parts store to open, I have misplaced my valve stem tool and cannot be bothered to tear the garage apart any longer since it's like $5.

Got the old tires off and the new tires on in less than 30 minutes. Took the new tires up the street to the free air hose my local Superlube keeps on, and both tires seated immediately. New cores in and both tires did not leak when filled to spec.

Everything was going to well that something HAD to go wrong.

Are these goddamn things made of fragilium or some poo poo? I swear I had just gotten everything aligned and was sliding the axle home when I slipped a bit and hear little *snapsnapsna-snap* and I pull this fucker out.

I'm so mad I don't even feel like lifting the tank to get it out. For whatever reason the coupling is under there instead of inside the cowl like on my Ninja500.

gently caress. It is SO GODDAMN NICE OUT TODAY. :mad:

Edit: At least it's just the rotor I don't even have to lift the tank I'm just that mad I didn't remember. Whatever. Amazon wants $30 but hey it'll be here Wednesday.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 18, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What is that? Looks like your speedo hub. Why not remove the broken bits and just run it until the new one comes?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Clean it out and deal with no speedo until your part ships? That's certainly not something that would take the bike out of commission

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did my license on an SV with that exact problem with that exact cause.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I imagine you can count on one finger the number of people who have ever gotten in trouble for not having a working speedometer on their bike

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A guy on a trip with my coworker cancelled the overall trip cause he broke a tail light but still drove to meet them and rented a bike for Deals Gap lol

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

I imagine you can count on one finger the number of people who have ever gotten in trouble for not having a working speedometer on their bike

Why would you get in trouble?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You don't need many instruments to operate on a highway in the USA, but you do need to have a speedometer and a turn signal indicator lamp. If a cop pulled you over and was having a bad day you could get cited for the missing gauge.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

You don't need many instruments to operate on a highway in the USA, but you do need to have a speedometer and a turn signal indicator lamp. If a cop pulled you over and was having a bad day you could get cited for the missing gauge.

The gauge is fine, it just doesn't work. So unless the cop is going to jog along side you while you putter along to check, there's no real way for him to ding you on it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Isn't it legal to just use hand signals in place of blinkers in some states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Where do you see this? All I see in the highway safety regs is must have turn signals, head light, tail light. My state law also says at least one mirror. I don't see anything about speedometers anywhere.