Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dying to the first boss in Automata is just part of the deal. It gets much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More than anything it's actually making me kinda want to play that old The Incredibles game again but I never was able to beat that aforementioned boss. Appropriately It's the exact point in the movie where Syndrome introduces it as "It's bigger! It's Badder! It's... too much for Mr Incredible!" and when I was playing I was like "Yeah Buddy, it kinda is,. you mind turning it down a notch?! :gonk:"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well now the thing dragging down " No One Lives Forever" is my screen goes totally black whenever I'm in water, which I could deal with until I got to the sinking boat level with mandatory swimming sections. None of the fixes I found online work. I can't really complain too much since I did get the game for free, but it is a bit of a letdown. Guess it's time to move onto "No One Lives Forever 2"!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I always found it like, rather uncomfortable, like if I had read "The Jews have a secret society that hoards secret super-technology away from the rest of the world that's powerful enough to take it over!" I would not think that this was meant to reflect well on them or portray them as victims.

Also the fact that the wacky jews just loved creating stuff and hiding it and not using it and then the Nazis did and that uh kind of makes the jews responsible for the Nazis winning which is a little bit weird

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BioEnchanted posted:

Thanks for telling me about the D-Pad, the game hadn't got around to it yet. The way that they fight actually reminds me of the giant robot in the movie-based Incredibles game (The one that isn't Rise of the Underminer), which of course gets harder to fight as the game progresses, and by the end it is throwing vertical and horizontal blades at you that are really hard to dodge, just like this boss.

Non-spoiler advice: nothing in the game is hard to dodge. You can mash the dodge button and be nearly invincible. You get a moment of invincibility whenever you dodge even slightly near the moment something hits you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Well I really suck at Nier Automata - just died right at the start, to the two digging machines and got ending W. Guess I'll try again later :v: Never even learned how to save :P BTW I've just got it and know little about it.

Feel free to mash the dodge if you even slightly suspect an attack is coming your way. The game's dodge is very forgiving. Also if you're playing on hard mode you're in for bad times.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never play games on hard unless there is a drat good reason to, for example in super-early PS2 game Eve of Extinction, the lore items are dropped by enemies. Playing on hard spawns more enemies, so gives you a chance to get more lore, so that game I'd bother with, but for achievements? Nah. I'm on normal.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BioEnchanted posted:

I never play games on hard unless there is a drat good reason to, for example in super-early PS2 game Eve of Extinction, the lore items are dropped by enemies. Playing on hard spawns more enemies, so gives you a chance to get more lore, so that game I'd bother with, but for achievements? Nah. I'm on normal.

jesus christ, you played through eve of extinction?

you are without a doubt the hardest motherfucker i know

gently caress that game and it's early ps2 controls

gently caress that timing puzzle with the dragons that fly in offscreen and push you into a lethal fall

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

Well I really suck at Nier Automata - just died right at the start, to the two digging machines and got ending W. Guess I'll try again later :v: Never even learned how to save :P BTW I've just got it and know little about it.

Yeah, the double digger is a bit of a nightmare the first time. As noted above, mash dodge like it's going out of style, but also stay away from 'em in general- if you manually aim your peashooter and hit 'em with the occasional laser you'll probably do just fine.

Also you're probably aware that you can attack out of a perfect dodge for a special combo, but you can do the same with your pod bullets, which is something I didn't figure out until I'd done a full run of the game and started a second run on hard. That attack wrecks baddies without putting your android butt within their kill radius (assuming you're not dodging straight into the center of a constant attack hitbox). It's good, is what I'm saying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Tortoise posted:

gently caress that timing puzzle with the dragons that fly in offscreen and push you into a lethal fall

I remember it being a fun game I don't remember anything else about it beyond it was fun though

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I always found it like, rather uncomfortable, like if I had read "The Jews have a secret society that hoards secret super-technology away from the rest of the world that's powerful enough to take it over!" I would not think that this was meant to reflect well on them or portray them as victims.

It's not really The Jews though, the people with knowledge of the tech are a super duper secret society with just a handful of members.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's not really The Jews though, the people with knowledge of the tech are a super duper secret society with just a handful of members.
Am I confusing the games? Like, the Golden Dawn people were the first reboot game, not the New Order?

edit: no no, according to the wiki: "The Da'at Yichud is an ancient Jewish mystical secret society" so yeah, kinda baffling they already had a mystical secret society that was non-denominational...

double edit: thank you, Wolfenstein wiki, for this profound trivia:

"The Da'at Yichud seem to pay very large attention to aestethic detail, with most of their facilities and technology being seemingly gold-plated and overly decorated. The Nazis on the other side, are very practically orientated and all their technology is clear from decoration."

hmmmmmmm

Deceitful Penguin has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Sep 3, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also the fact that the wacky jews just loved creating stuff and hiding it and not using it and then the Nazis did and that uh kind of makes the jews responsible for the Nazis winning which is a little bit weird

The game goes out of its way to say that they were ready to break their oath when the Nazi war machine started to rev up and had even reached out to world leaders about their strongholds, but then the Nazis reached a stronghold first and everything was terrible forever.

I like the Da'at Yichud in concept even if in execution it's more than a little Magical Hebrew, but part of TNO's charm was playing otherwise cringey cliches straight enough so that they had actual pathos again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The game goes out of its way to say that they were ready to break their oath when the Nazi war machine started to rev up and had even reached out to world leaders about their strongholds, but then the Nazis reached a stronghold first and everything was terrible forever.

I like the Da'at Yichud in concept even if in execution it's more than a little Magical Hebrew, but part of TNO's charm was playing otherwise cringey cliches straight enough so that they had actual pathos again.

Nah, I know, it sounds a lot worse than it is. I ignored New Order for a while because it sounded like tasteless nonsense but I played it recently and somehow... it all worked

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

I remember it being a fun game I don't remember anything else about it beyond it was fun though

it had a really campy style i wanted to get behind, but i remember hitting a brick wall in the form of a timing puzzle where you had to jump up a set of ringed tracks that had these mechanical dragons that would swoop by and knock you off. there were like three or four of them and anything above the first track was instant death.

oh and the dragons underneath you would also kill you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

it had a really campy style i wanted to get behind, but i remember hitting a brick wall in the form of a timing puzzle where you had to jump up a set of ringed tracks that had these mechanical dragons that would swoop by and knock you off. there were like three or four of them and anything above the first track was instant death.

oh and the dragons underneath you would also kill you.

Now I remember that setpiece. The game had a pretty cool final boss though, I think his forms were all using all the different weapons that you get access to throughout the game, and I liked how each level-up you got for a weapon added a new hit to the combo chain so even the huge slow battleaxe would have an almost unstoppable 7-hit combo. It meant that there was a point to using all the weapons - it gave you plenty of options. The part I had most trouble with was the boss fight with the man that gives you the Boomerang, that was really annoying with his little mechanical buddies.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The new Everybody's Golf keeps throwing off my putting.
You only get two matches to pick from per rank (and lower ranks mean you earn less EXP and you have to grind more) until you play a match and it re-rolls them. A good chunk of the time those matches will use Tornado or Mega cups (Baby mode and Easy Mode). They're both larger cups so you don't have to be as accurate, the Tornado cup is big AND sucks the ball in.
Then you get a match that's just Normal cups and your putting and poo poo is all off.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Croccers posted:

The new Everybody's Golf keeps throwing off my putting.
You only get two matches to pick from per rank (and lower ranks mean you earn less EXP and you have to grind more) until you play a match and it re-rolls them. A good chunk of the time those matches will use Tornado or Mega cups (Baby mode and Easy Mode). They're both larger cups so you don't have to be as accurate, the Tornado cup is big AND sucks the ball in.
Then you get a match that's just Normal cups and your putting and poo poo is all off.

Normally this is where I'd be a dick and say 'Sounds like babymode is about your skill level' but maybe putting is tricky bullshit and babymode is about your skill level.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Putting is the hardest part of every Everybody's Golf game. You just have to practise a lot, learn to read the ground elevation. No way around it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Putting is the hardest part of Golf in general, IRL or videogame. Any idiot with good aim can drive the ball half a mile, but getting it to land where you want, or giving just enough force to move it without over-shooting it when your on the green is the really difficult part.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
But you're not going to get better at it when the game constantly tosses Tornado/Mega Cup rounds at you, maybe I've just been getting weak rolls. I still beat the Rank 3 boss via a Called Match which features Teeny cups on my first try.
Then you have AI cheating but it is a golf game so :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I really liked the way Pangya had led its visual indicators for slopes on the putting surface (though that was mostly from the "four dots" heuristic). Too bad the "correct" way to play the game was to try to take putting out of the equation with chip-in special shots from several hundred yards or whatever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nah, I know, it sounds a lot worse than it is. I ignored New Order for a while because it sounded like tasteless nonsense but I played it recently and somehow... it all worked

It's really the weirdest thing to say what I'm most excited about in the upcoming Wolfenstein sequel is the writing. Even The Old Blood was a standout in terms of the script.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Action Tortoise posted:

EoE is such a good game. I love the sequence where you get your weapons stolen and have to get them back one by one, but the second one you retrieve is a new type of huge, heavy axe that handles different to anything else and it really forces you to use something that's probably outside your comfort zone

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Prey does so many things right, but goddamn the combat is just killing me. Ammo is scarce, enemies have a billion hitpoints, and worst of all they just keep respawning. It feels like half the time I'm just running back and forth scrounging up materials to craft more ammo because even random-rear end phantoms require half a dozen shotgun shells to the face. None of the weapons so far feel particularly satisfying, and the feedback is kind of vague and floaty to the point where half the time I can barely even tell what the enemy is actually doing. At this point I've started skilling into stealth just so I don't actually have to interact with the enemies whenever possible.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't know how things scale past the early game beyond repeated references to an inverse difficulty curve but are you:
- Knocking things on their rear end with the wrench power attack?
- Getting stealth crits as often as possible?
- Abusing the gloo gun?
- Making use of the stun gun?
- Using combat focus?

I'll agree though that the raw combat itself is a bit clunky. Fighting mimics with the wrench is surprisingly tricky, for instance.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Sep 4, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sneaking past powerful enemies is a way of life in Prey, as much as it burns to not sweep the room for materials like a kleptomaniac roomba sometimes you have to just walk away and come back later.

Also nothing is tied to or locked behind the difficulty settings, including the achievements, so if you want you can just crank it down to Easy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like the chance of success/critical failure chances in Wasteland 2 are way off sometimes. I know its just confirmation bias and the whims of RNG but goddamn it feels bad to miss two 95% chance shots in a row with my sniper.

Also the voice acting is eight different kinds of terrible.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Prey does so many things right, but goddamn the combat is just killing me. Ammo is scarce, enemies have a billion hitpoints, and worst of all they just keep respawning. It feels like half the time I'm just running back and forth scrounging up materials to craft more ammo because even random-rear end phantoms require half a dozen shotgun shells to the face. None of the weapons so far feel particularly satisfying, and the feedback is kind of vague and floaty to the point where half the time I can barely even tell what the enemy is actually doing. At this point I've started skilling into stealth just so I don't actually have to interact with the enemies whenever possible.

It took me ages to realise that all the other disables add a poo poo load of damage - stun gun, psychic shock, emp. You basically never want to actually shoot a dude until you've put some kind of debuff on them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

An important part of Prey is understanding the combat system early (disable, then shotgun to the rear end, or stungun for robots and QBeam for weavers) so that you really can sweep out an area and explore at your leisure. This is because you don't want to have to repeat that process and exploration for when you backtrack later in the game.

Really high up the list of "important endgame upgrades" is just the one that lets you sprint super fast and jump high so you can just yolospeedrun/DoomGuy your way through the backtracking, because you already collected all the important stuff and read all the emails before the tougher enemies spawned in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

Is ammo scarce? Every mimic I killed seemed to drop at least one shotgun shell for me and it only takes one or two upgrades to kill phantoms with a single shotgun stealth attack. Plus you can create your own ammo at will, and the game vomits out recycler charges so often there's nothing really stopping you from just filling a room with every item, object and corpse in a zone and just turning it all into shotgun shells. Also there's that upgrade that gives you back like 50 HP when you get hit. By the end of the game I'd let mimics and basic phantoms hit me just so I could recover more health than they'd take away.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wrong thread, but I still love how New Order made Nazis both ridiculous with their robots and SCIENCE, but still played ethnic cleansing and cultural annihilation completely straight without any tonal clashes. Laughing my head off at putting a screwdriver through someone's neck and then getting reminded you'd be dragged off and murdered for experimenting with sexuality was a seriously uncomfortable :catstare: moment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

poptart_fairy posted:

Wrong thread, but I still love how New Order made Nazis both ridiculous with their robots and SCIENCE, but still played ethnic cleansing and cultural annihilation completely straight without any tonal clashes. Laughing my head off at putting a screwdriver through someone's neck and then getting reminded you'd be dragged off and murdered for experimenting with sexuality was a seriously uncomfortable :catstare: moment.

The bit on the train with Engel was really effective considering how ridiculous it was having to pick photos while a robot glares at you off to one side.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
To TNO's credit, the only weird tonal disconnect I got was from BJ himself. It was weird playing this brick shithouse of an American soldier who looks like John Cena with a thicker neck blasting my way through hundreds of nazis and their assorted robots when he just sounds so sad all the time. It worked well in the camp level, and his burst of joy playing Buffalo Gals on guitar was fantastic, but I really wish the VO and vocal director gave the character a little more emotional range.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

To TNO's credit, the only weird tonal disconnect I got was from BJ himself. It was weird playing this brick shithouse of an American soldier who looks like John Cena with a thicker neck blasting my way through hundreds of nazis and their assorted robots when he just sounds so sad all the time. It worked well in the camp level, and his burst of joy playing Buffalo Gals on guitar was fantastic, but I really wish the VO and vocal director gave the character a little more emotional range.

"world is hosed. Better kill more Nazis"

Seems like more than enough emotional range for a game involving killing the poo poo out of Nazi robots.

This is a sequel to 03's Return to Castle Wolfenstein and 09's Wolfenstein so BJ has been killing the poo poo out of Nazi's for years before going into a coma, and when he wakes up it's all he has left in the world.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, and he's starting to realise even that has been largely for nothing. Everything he fought and bled for was rendered completely redundant because the Nazis ultimately won anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
BJ's absurd melodrama is a massive part of what makes TNO so great. It's the WW2 version of sighing as he draws his katana.

Plus he only does it in his monologuing so the game never gets ironic and self-aware. Which is perfect. As soon as a drop of irony gets into Wolfenstein the formula falls apart.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'll second or third that BJ being so goddamn tired is one of the best parts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrJacobs posted:

"world is hosed. Better kill more Nazis"

Seems like more than enough emotional range for a game involving killing the poo poo out of Nazi robots.

This is a sequel to 03's Return to Castle Wolfenstein and 09's Wolfenstein so BJ has been killing the poo poo out of Nazi's for years before going into a coma, and when he wakes up it's all he has left in the world.

I think he was in a locked in state rather than a straight up coma, which makes it even worse. He spent fifteen years watching the nazis take away and murder patients from the hospital and couldn't do poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Attestant posted:

I'll second or third that BJ being so goddamn tired is one of the best parts.

Speaking of tired, the moment that completely cemented my love for the game was murdering a sleeping Nazi, when BJ grabs his mouth violently and the Nazi's eyes pop open, BJ let's out a ragged "Wake up. Your dead." and drives a knife through his chest.

The game has so much loving personality.