Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

syscall girl posted:

I don't care for a dumbass movie about a killer shark?

In fact I don't care for shark disparagement. They are the true victims.

Have you seen the way the shark dressed?

I didn't think so, because the shark doesn't show up until the end of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe they're thinking of Jaws 3D?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that shot of the stationary shark slowly coming towards the glass is masterful.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Have you seen the way the shark dressed?

I didn't think so, because the shark doesn't show up until the end of the movie.

A technical problem with roboshark makes Spielberg a genius?

Sorry, not buying it from a guy who conspired with Lucas to write about a hero who raped a young girl.

It's dull, extremely dated and if Mike Nelson and Bill Corbett aren't constantly mocking it idgaf

e: I like a lot of Spielberg, don't get me wrong but not that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
a take hotter than the sun

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not showing the shark was always the plan. it's this myth that keeps being repeated that grew out of the fact they did have loads of issues with the sharks.

they even did an alternate alex kitner scene where the shark was actually shown rising up and chomping on him but used the version where the visuals imply the attack so as not to reveal the shark too early.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 2, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That'sa spicy take.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'll give Jaws props for not being Sharknado.

Too many sharks in Sharknado and Jared from Subway in the subway eating a Subway sandwich in front of a Subway advert.

That was not a good scene.

Can't take that many predators on screen at once.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

I'll give Jaws props for not being Sharknado.

Too many sharks in Sharknado and Jared from Subway in the subway eating a Subway sandwich in front of a Subway advert.

That was not a good scene.

Can't take that many predators on screen at once.

But Sharknado was going to be bad from jump, why would you expect anything else? Asylum Films are some how actually worse than those "Parody" movies which is truly an achievement.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Writing a character having sex with a young girl is not the same as actually doing it.

Not at all.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A gas tank!? I'll chew it! - A bunch of posters ITT right now

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A gas tank!? I'll chew it! - A bunch of posters ITT right now

If only, that'd mean someone would actually kill this thread and end all our misery.

Oh wait, Jaws had a few sequels...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what always bothered me about jaws is quint misgendering the shark. at its size it's definitely a female but he keeps referring to the shark as "he".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Godfather and Godfather Part II are still two of the best movies ever made, but I still with Paul WS Anderson could be made to try to make this version of the story for real:

http://www.somethingawful.com/awful-movie-database/the-godfather/
This is great

quote:

Fredo "Sprocket" Corleone: The ultra-sonic waves are causing the creatures to completely disintegrate! Their unstable sub-molecular structures can't take this kind of stress!
Sonny "Shakedown" Corleone: You wanna run that one by me in English?
Michael "Lone Wolf" Corleone: Zombies get turned into zombie slime. I'm liking this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Writing a character having sex with a young girl is not the same as actually doing it.

Not at all.

Yeah but writing a Hiro Protagonist doing it is not cool.

Unless they just hated Harrison and wanted him to look like a jerk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Indiana Jones is a really flawed character. He can't fight. He has no plan. He's kind of a dick too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Indiana Jones is a really flawed character. He can't fight. He has no plan. He's kind of a dick too.

Also completely useless in Raiders.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, Indy's cool because he kind of sucks.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If it hadn't been for Jones' interference, the Ark would have been opened in Berlin and probably would have wiped out a lot of the Nazi high command, effectively ending World War II.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phylodox posted:

If it hadn't been for Jones' interference, the Ark would have been opened in Berlin and probably would have wiped out a lot of the Nazi high command, effectively ending World War II.
They probably would have done a test first like they did anyway, so I doubt it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Last Crusade lied to us. What Hitler really wrote into Indie's book could be roughly translated to 'Thank you for your faithful service, dear friend."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

They probably would have done a test first like they did anyway, so I doubt it.

Hitler probably would have insisted on opening it personally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Indiana Jones is also the guy who found incontrovertible proof of God, and specifically the god of Abraham and Jesus, and didn't tell anyone. Twice.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

Indiana Jones is also the guy who found incontrovertible proof of God, and specifically the god of Abraham and Jesus, and didn't tell anyone. Twice.

To be fair, he also found proof of Shiva first, and also aliens later on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Hitler probably would have insisted on opening it personally.
Belloq cowing them into letting him open it had nothing to do with Jones. They thought he was likely dead at that point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

To be fair, he also found proof of Shiva first, and also aliens later on.

And he didn't have any fucks to give. Which is cool but weird.

Proved several major religions and extraterrestrials and eh

This college girl has something important written on her eyelids that I must study

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Belloq cowing them into letting him open it had nothing to do with Jones. They thought he was likely dead at that point.

They were going to fly it straight to Berlin in the flying wing that Jones blew up. It was only because of that that Belloq was able to divert it to the abandoned island. If it had reached Berlin the Nazi bureaucracy would have taken over and Belloq wouldn't have been able to stop it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

He had no proof every time and would've been labeled a crackpot and ignored at best.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jaws loving SUCKS

E.T.? oh aliens, oooh how original!

jurassic park? a movie about fuckin dinosaur puppets? ooooh so-o-o-o scary! heh heh, give me a drat break spielberg *jerk off motion*

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He had no proof every time and would've been labeled a crackpot and ignored at best.

Best case scenario is he gets stripped of tenure and has to go lecture at the 40s equivalent of Liberty University.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I did always kind of appreciate that in the end he has basically no proof of his adventures. Other than the rear end whipping he seems to take in every movie.

And occasionally Brody or Sallah but who would believe those nuts?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

jaws loving SUCKS

E.T.? oh aliens, oooh how original!

jurassic park? a movie about fuckin dinosaur puppets? ooooh so-o-o-o scary! heh heh, give me a drat break spielberg *jerk off motion*

Nevertheless Schindler's List is a good film and teaching tool

And while flawed I still like A.I.

I have never watched E.T. all the way through

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly this is just baffling

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Come on guys.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Yep, it would be like that scene out of William Burroughs' The Wild Boys where the CIA and the Pentagon attempt to weaponize a Mayan death god and get hosed by their own hubris when it wipes out Washington D.C.

"Here lies stupid vulgar sons of bitches who thought they could hire DEATH as a company cop."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Everyone in this forum has major holes in their movie checklists or is a liar, it's no big deal

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Young Freud posted:

Yep, it would be like that scene out of William Burroughs' The Wild Boys where the CIA and the Pentagon attempt to weaponize a Mayan death god and get hosed by their own hubris when it wipes out Washington D.C.

"Here lies stupid vulgar sons of bitches who thought they could hire DEATH as a company cop."

Wait - that's Suicide Squad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tars Tarkas posted:

Everyone in this forum has major holes in their movie checklists or is a liar, it's no big deal

Please, I have seen every movie at least twice. Personally, I don't think they are making enough of these things.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Cythereal posted:

Ender's Game the book is like this as well, but didn't save the movie from being oriented towards kids.

One reason I hope Hollywood never gets it in their head to adapt Greg Bear's novels. The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars are largely about children and young adults, but my God are they not YA books.

Actually I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Anvil of Stars, that's the one with all the children/teens. Forge is mostly adults.

I would love to see an adaptation of Forge done right, that scene at the end at Yellowstone Park (I think? It's been over a decade since I read it) has always stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I went to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind today, and it was kind of...pixelated? Would that be the result of like, a wrong setting on the projector, or was it digitized in some kind of horrible way?

Still very enjoyable.

• Locked thread