Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Horseshoe theory posted:

Learned from Jon Stewart (who was anti-writer's union strike a number of years ago).

I thought he stopped the show in solidarity

No matter what, that routine is... pretty hosed up and is insane as a response to military action against mine workers on strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Grondoth posted:

Nah, it stayed on air. he made a lot of jokes that were at writer's expense. i remember glaringly he said something about the striker's beards were their aids ribbons. yeugh. it's been years, but a lot of former staff have talked about how anti-union he is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
didnt he, colbert, and conan do their shows during the strike just without any writers

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Grondoth posted:

Both Stewart and Colbert went back on the air without the writers, and MacFarlane pointed it out, which caused Stewart to have a massive meltdown.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh.

I remembered falsely.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Raskolnikov38 posted:

didnt he, colbert, and conan do their shows during the strike just without any writers

yeah conan just goofed off though from what i can tell and it was pretty great

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

panga means machete

i didnt know that until i just looked it up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

Nah, it stayed on air. he made a lot of jokes that were at writer's expense. i remember glaringly he said something about the striker's beards were their aids ribbons. yeugh. it's been years, but a lot of former staff have talked about how anti-union he is.

It's no wonder why they picked a guy who laughed over strikers getting killed to replace Jon Stewart.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Donkwich posted:

the luck zone

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Conan just palled around with Netanyahu & the IDF, so he's also dead to me

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

anime was right posted:

yeah conan just goofed off though from what i can tell and it was pretty great

Yeah, Conan hosed around and kept saying that the show was terrible and all the things you liked about his show were written by the writers. I remember it being pretty amazing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the masturbating white phosphorus canister

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CA bad dems use prison inmates to fight wildfires for $2 at hour
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/us/california-today-firefighters-at-less-than-2-an-hour.html

At least it's not complete slavery!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
IIRC Letterman and Ferguson had an independent contract through letterman's worldwide pants production company with the WGA to continue employing writers through the strike somehow? i think Letterman still let everyone appear in picket lines regardless.
Conan and Letterman paid their entire staff's salaries for the year to ensure no one was fired. Leno paid the yearly salaries of like a hundred people that NBC fired. Stewart was either quoted or a different producer of his show claimed he would do similar but then it was walked back.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He was just at Gal Gadot's house and now his facebook page is just full of people calling him a babykiller. Coco how could you :qq:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

etalian posted:

CA bad dems use prison inmates to fight wildfires for $2 at hour
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/us/california-today-firefighters-at-less-than-2-an-hour.html

At least it's not complete slavery!

lol no wonder kamala's office argued against a release of non-violent offenders. they really are saving a shitload of money!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol no wonder kamala's office argued against a release of non-violent offenders. they really are saving a shitload of money!

dangerous life threatening work for just $2 a hour...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ca has one of the worst prison industrial complexes in the country

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

liberals are very bad about prisons and criminal justice, it turns out

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I still enjoy that folks seriously argued that she totally didn't know what her office was doing and that you can't expect an AG to know minor details about some po-dunk little case out in the middle of nowhere (because this is obviously what a court order with state-wide ramifications from a federal panel should be considered as).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zas posted:

ca has one of the worst prison industrial complexes in the country

It's no wonder why the progressive Harris blocked things like a early program.

God forbid that they use their free slave supply.

Can't want in the 2020 primary to hear the dumb hillfolk of the world say it's a good necessary thing, the prisoners are learning life skills doing slave labor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"actually, you'll find that these dangerous jobs are in high-demand within the california prison population" - something a dipshit has probably already earnestly stated to defend this

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, those liberals sure have squeaky comical voices, almost like you're...

Wait.

Wait, y'all are supplying both sides of this argument, aren't you?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Oh Snapple! posted:

"actually, you'll find that these dangerous jobs are in high-demand within the california prison population" - something a dipshit has probably already earnestly stated to defend this

the saddest thing is they are. because they treat their workers the best of any of the work programs (in exchange for a highly elevated risk of death). they have fire camps where your family can live with you for weeks at a time, and the pay is like 20-30 cents more

it's still ultra hosed up cause they throw inmates at fires with 3 weeks of training when civilian firefighters have to apprentice for 3 years

dunno how anyone could see that as anything but throwing human bodies at fires and hoping the fire loses

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

docbeard posted:

Wait.

my above post is almost word-for-word what the defense was of abuela owning slaves lol

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
im sure this has been posted here already but:

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-ff-federal-judges-order-state-to-release-more-prisoners-20141114-story.html

quote:

Federal judges on Friday ordered California to launch a new parole program that could free more prisoners early, ruling the state had failed to fully implement an order last February intended to reduce unconstitutional crowding.

The judges, for a second time, ordered that all nonviolent second-strike offenders be eligible for parole after serving half their sentence. They told corrections officials to submit new plans for that parole process by Dec. 1, and to implement them beginning January.

"The record contains no evidence that defendants cannot implement the required parole process by that date, 11 months after they agreed to do so 'promptly,'" the judges wrote in Friday's order.

its amazing to me that the harris stuff was in spite of a federal court order and 11 months of noncompliance

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

docbeard posted:

Wait.

_________________/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

skip to about 6:30. it's not just a throwaway joke, it's a whole bit that goes on for like four minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2XrGyKkAM

lol hes a conservative

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/RIPMarkusJ/status/904099552784986114

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

lol hes a conservative

Doesn't he basically call himself an "Alt-centrist"?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

Doesn't he basically call himself an "Alt-centrist"?

centrists are just right-wingers; alt-centrists get hard at state-sanctioned murder

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Office Pig posted:

centrists are just right-wingers; alt-centrists get hard at state-sanctioned murder

I know that, I'm just pointing out that he admitted it before.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zas posted:

liberals are very bad about prisons and criminal justice, it turns out

turns out that liberals are consistent in supporting lockean theories of liberty and property that say slavery is ok

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if they didn't want to be slaves they shouldn't have gotten arrested for resisting arrest for a crime they didn't commit and weren't being arrested for in the first place

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

th... thuncc?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Does she not have an upper arm? Like rayman?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Waithunkfu is bae

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

what have we wrought upon this world...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle