Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The ol spicy hank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao, what the gently caress.

Nightmare Creatures is getting rebooted by the people who made the Spooky's House of Jumpscares game.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/pax-west-2017-nightmare-creatures-reboot-announced/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phantasium posted:

lmao, what the gently caress.

Nightmare Creatures is getting rebooted by the people who made the Spooky's House of Jumpscares game.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/pax-west-2017-nightmare-creatures-reboot-announced/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JplmZGzweVc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All I remember about Nightmare Creatures is that even at the time the platforming was bad and the music for the first boss was rad as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B0ZhQ0lGZ4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought y'all were talking about the RTS where all your units were genetically engineered from selected parts and stuff

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Your feet are gonna feel like suckers after they keep picking up all kinds of poo poo with the tar that gets stuck to the soles

yeah this is no joke. i made this mistake once and got blisters from summertime asphalt. walking was torment.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought y'all were talking about the RTS where all your units were genetically engineered from selected parts and stuff

The time is right (Wright?) for Spore 2

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That was Impossible Creatures and it ruled

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

In Training posted:

It's weird cuz they're doing it in reverse...all their single player stuff has season passes but their multiplayer only major releases have a bunch of free content added all the time

Smash had a ton of individual DLC, Mario Golf and Kart both had season passes that impacted online. Splatoon doesn't but I can't think of another recent online Nintendo game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't clicked on it but like ever good mechanic because that's the whole point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

Smash had a ton of individual DLC, Mario Golf and Kart both had season passes that impacted online. Splatoon doesn't but I can't think of another recent online Nintendo game.

Arms

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
in zelda games if you're low on health it's more likely for hearts to drop from stuff

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

The first episode of the Life is Strange prequel turned out to be really good!

Yeah, despite initial impressions and the lack of Ashley Burch (though the new Chloe does grow on you after a while) there is some fun to be had with this (and to be fair, they did manage to get back most the majority of the original cast besides her). Honestly my only real complaint is the game doesn't really have much of a plot so far, though hopefully that'll change as we get further in. But yeah, surprisingly Before the Storm is actually better than I expected.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 3, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if you buy before the storm you're anti-union

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

corn in the bible posted:

in zelda games if you're low on health it's more likely for hearts to drop from stuff

not in botw :mrgw:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

almost every example listed in that thread sucks, it's basically just gamedevs half-understanding that comebacks aren't fun or interesting if they're freebies but not actually getting the whole way there

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the Risky Boots dlc for Shantae, it was fun and good but like the base game it still didn't come close to the goodness of Pirate's Curse. Playing as Risky is fun but because you can do her levels in any order it makes the levels not as tight as they could be, especially given you're huge amount of mobilty moves. Only the last stage reallt makes you use all your moves and even that is over far too soon. The game in general is also really short, but that shouldn't really be a surprise.

Still good though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

and if you own a smartphone you're pro-child labor, NEXT

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

almost every example listed in that thread sucks, it's basically just gamedevs half-understanding that comebacks aren't fun or interesting if they're freebies but not actually getting the whole way there

The first example lumping together Assasins Creed and Doom (2016) proves how butthole Doom (2016) is

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair Burch is still involved in this game, albeit as a writer/character consultant rather than an actor and the majority of the first game's cast beside her were first timers not involved with any union anyway.

Also like I said, they did manage to get pretty much everyone else from the first outing back for this game so that's something at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 3, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

yeah this is no joke. i made this mistake once and got blisters from summertime asphalt. walking was torment.

Yeah. Talk about a pain in the...well, foot.

If you're ever in a situation where you've got a person screaming at you to get out of the house and shouting at you while you're trying to grab your things, good lord make sure you grab your loving shoes

doingitwrong posted:

Cool! I have been wondering what comes in that package. I signed up for a more extensive thing because I'm really interested in this style of storytelling. So far, it's been exceeding my expectations.

Yeah that one is on their website as a missed package, near as I can tell there have been two packages (though only one is listed on their site). It looks really interesting and I wouldn't mind getting it but to get the old packages you have to drop 40 bucks whereas the new ones are all 30 bucks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Finally got the Risky Boots dlc for Shantae, it was fun and good but like the base game it still didn't come close to the goodness of Pirate's Curse. Playing as Risky is fun but because you can do her levels in any order it makes the levels not as tight as they could be, especially given you're huge amount of mobilty moves. Only the last stage reallt makes you use all your moves and even that is over far too soon. The game in general is also really short, but that shouldn't really be a surprise.

Still good though

I'm enjoying it and it's better than the base game. Most of the bosses still suck, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

If you're ever in a situation where you've got a person screaming at you to get out of the house and shouting at you while you're trying to grab your things, good lord make sure you grab your loving shoes

brah no need you just gotta go barefoot all the time like in hawaii and your body will be ready

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

brah no need you just gotta go barefoot all the time like in hawaii and your body will be ready

I live in Pennsylvania, man. Our roads are always under construction and always tarred to hell and back. I dunno what's going on in Hawaii but you'd better get outta there if everything's covered in tar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They work fine if the player isn't aware of them which is the whole point.

It's in the thread, but I was going to mention the Silent Hill 2 endings. They aren't based on specific decisions you make, but patterns in your playing that the game takes as indications of the main character's mindset. Neglect healing and spend too much time examining the knife in your inventory? At the end he commits suicide. Imprint on the wife surrogate character and spend excess time with her? They end up together.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

just more proof that botw isn't good :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ok I'm not trying to poo poo on you for this and I apologize if this comes across as me trying to be rude or anything but is this gonna be an ongoing thing? I feel like you've been on a "breath of the wild is bad" kick and making sure everybody knows you think it is bad but I don't know if maybe it is just me or what. If it really is just me, I apologize for causing any trouble, and if it isn't just me, I still apologize because I'm not trying to call you out for not liking the game or anything like that. It just seems a bit excessive the way you're handling it is all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok I'm not trying to poo poo on you for this and I apologize if this comes across as me trying to be rude or anything but is this gonna be an ongoing thing? I feel like you've been on a "breath of the wild is bad" kick and making sure everybody knows you think it is bad but I don't know if maybe it is just me or what. If it really is just me, I apologize for causing any trouble, and if it isn't just me, I still apologize because I'm not trying to call you out for not liking the game or anything like that. It just seems a bit excessive the way you're handling it is all.

This is the lamest flame of all time

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

They work fine if the player isn't aware of them which is the whole point.

Games shouldn't become shittier the better you understand them, or reward you for remaining ignorant. That they knew enough to realize they had to hide it but not enough to realize they shouldn't do it at all makes it even worse.

Some of them might even be fine as explicit mechanics; Caves of Qud has a gun that says right in the description that the final bullet is always a critical hit, for instance.

Similarly there isn't an automatic scaling difficulty system in the world that wouldn't be better off as an option in a menu somewhere.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 3, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

This is the lamest flame of all time

Turn on your monitor

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That is the lamest flame

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was clearly a time for "don't sign your posts"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't sign your monitor.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Games shouldn't become shittier the better you understand them, or reward you for remaining ignorant. That they knew enough to realize they had to hide it but not enough to realize they shouldn't do it at all makes it even worse.

Some of them might even be fine as explicit mechanics; Caves of Qud has a gun that says right in the description that the final bullet is always a critical hit, for instance.

Sorry if this was brought up already but would you say the final boss of silent hill is a good example of this kind of thing where if you're running out of ammo, the last bullet will kill it? That was neat but I remember hearing that that was kind of unintentional, I don't know how true that is though.

Joke answer: original xcom switching you to easy as a result of a bug so that you'd feel like a badass on hard difficulties without realizing the game had switched over to easy at some point and you think you've just gotten really good at dealing with aliens, and then terror from the deep comes along and has the exact opposite issue where you start off easy and discover that the game is way too hard because, in addition to loving with the weapons and making a lot of them worse than their ufo defense counterparts, the difficulty setting is bugged and switches itself to the hardest difficulty regardless of what you pick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry if this was brought up already but would you say the final boss of silent hill is a good example of this kind of thing where if you're running out of ammo, the last bullet will kill it? That was neat but I remember hearing that that was kind of unintentional, I don't know how true that is though.

Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. I admit it's a tricky problem in games with long loading times or other factors that make "just let the player lose and try again" excessively aggravating, but there are other solutions.

You could give the player a fallback weapon that doesn't use ammo but has poor range or some other quality that makes it inferior (gotta be careful here, though, because there are wrong answers here -- "it deals no damage" is pretty miserable, and at the same time you don't want to end up with a Bioshock Wrench situation where your default fallback is one of the best weapons in the game, at least if you're aiming for survival horror.)

You could provide some source of ammo in the boss room that's telegraphed but involves some kind of risk, like there's no cover and it spawns on alternating sides of the room, or you have to kill an add to get it.

You could go really experimental and make a game where occasional failure is expected and the game goes on in different directions when you lose fights, presumably simply arriving at an alternate ending if you fail the final boss.

e: And if you do go with the "just let the player lose and try again" solution, make sure the fight ends as soon as it becomes unwinnable. Being stuck in an unwinnable state and not yet realizing it is pretty lovely too.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 3, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Holy gently caress I managed to find Kamoshida's treasure in a single loving day! :vince: :vince: :vince:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Still good though

Good to know. Pirates is too drat good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You have my broken axe!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. I admit it's a tricky problem in games with long loading times or other factors that make "just let the player lose and try again" excessively aggravating, but there are other solutions.

You could give the player a fallback weapon that doesn't use ammo but has poor range or some other quality that makes it inferior (gotta be careful here, though, because there are wrong answers here -- "it deals no damage" is pretty miserable, and at the same time you don't want to end up with a Bioshock Wrench situation where your default fallback is one of the best weapons in the game, at least if you're aiming for survival horror.)

You could provide some source of ammo in the boss room that's telegraphed but involves some kind of risk, like there's no cover and it spawns on alternating sides of the room, or you have to kill an add to get it.

You could go really experimental and make a game where occasional failure is expected and the game goes on in different directions when you lose fights, presumably simply arriving at an alternate ending if you fail the final boss.

e: And if you do go with the "just let the player lose and try again" solution, make sure the fight ends as soon as it becomes unwinnable. Being stuck in an unwinnable state and not yet realizing it is pretty lovely too.

Well, no, Silent Hill had melee weapons and the boss can be killed normally, it's just that the whole "last bullet" thing is a dramatic effect kind of thing to give the experience of "hoo boy I'm sure glad that last shot hit" or whatever. At least, that's how I understand it works.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think it's a problem :shrug:

Regardless of how I act at times, I'm cool to let people like and dislike whatever. There are a lot of games other people think are great that I just do nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From what I remember trying to hit the last boss of SH1 with a melee weapon isn't going to end well.

• Locked thread