Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Gen made a lot of QoL improvements to how easy it is to read information and navigate crafting paths, so 4U might seem a little obfuscated in comparison, but 4U's content and monster list and maps are overall a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Opposite question to thread: I only played a borrowed copy of 4u until the point where you officially kill Gore Magala, but I own Gen and I've played a lot of it. 4u is on sale, should I get it? (Gen is not the only one I've played, I played hundreds of hours of 3u so I'm not going to be shocked by the lack of styles and arts or whatever)

Probably? There's some fun stuff (and monsters not in Gen) in that game, although I'm not sure how the active the online is and a huge portion of 4U is in the online part or locked behind online progress even for offline stuff.

People keep saying it's the best game ever, but personally I felt like they got a bit too up their own rear end in single player high rank where eventually it's just subspecies, frenzy, and seregios invading every single hunt and there's just so much "Monster you fought before, but this time even MORE aggressive" over and over and a lot of hunts weren't that fun. If you love really fast, really aggressive monsters then you might love it though!

BleepBlarf
Dec 3, 2006

Worst Man For The Job

Your Computer posted:

Probably? There's some fun stuff (and monsters not in Gen) in that game, although I'm not sure how the active the online is and a huge portion of 4U is in the online part or locked behind online progress even for offline stuff.

I've been walking friends who've recently purchased 4U through their keys over the last month, and while you're not going to find rooms for, say, Double Lagombi or something there are still folks around hunting popular monsters.

G Rank is still super active as well. A lot of that's level 140 Guild Quest rooms or Apex Diablos farming, but I still see several rooms for keys or Gogmazios or whatever pretty much any time of day.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Opposite question to thread: I only played a borrowed copy of 4u until the point where you officially kill Gore Magala, but I own Gen and I've played a lot of it. 4u is on sale, should I get it? (Gen is not the only one I've played, I played hundreds of hours of 3u so I'm not going to be shocked by the lack of styles and arts or whatever)

There's a lot of content and monsters in 4U that aren't in Gen and may not be seen again for a few games, if ever again. Of the two I'd say 4U is the better game anyway so yah, grab it to tide yourself over until world.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 3, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I've said it, but it bears repeating; gently caress Yian Garuga :v:

In other news I was bored of looking at the bujabujabu set so I made a new set with Critical Eye+3 instead. It's... very blue! I made a new weapon to match, for the hell of it.

Monster Hunting....... is good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Your Computer posted:

It's been a while since I've said it, but it bears repeating; gently caress Yian Garuga :v:

This really can't be repeated enough. There is no monster (in my experience thus far) more frustrating and unappealing to fight. He is the antithesis of fun, and also of love.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This really can't be repeated enough. There is no monster (in my experience thus far) more frustrating and unappealing to fight. He is the antithesis of fun, and also of love.

Plessy

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the best/worst part of plesioth was that it was so vertically tall for no good reason that even aerial style HBG couldnt vault over it. it's one of the few monsters you could not reasonably vault over because the hitbox extends into the clouds. just... why

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I love Garuga for the amount of grief it gives people. His theme is super good and fits him to a T.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Garuga would be fine if his animations were unique, but he's just a Kut-Ku with the speed cranked up to 400%. He looks silly and is a huge pain to fight.

Also the beakslam hitbox is ludicrous. Great looking gear, though.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Plessy is super fun to fight when you use Pierce HBG. Even better when you use LBG and Pierce Thunder shots. Dies in a couple minutes.

Garuga is the worst. The way he just skips his recovery animation and goes straight into an instant charge is the absolute worst.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I read that there is unlockable stuff hidden behind multiplayer quests in mh4u? Or is that mhg? Do I need to be doing a lot of gathering hall quests to unlock stuff?

Thank

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
If only they like..... maybe made the game LOOK better for the Switch port?

I really can't wait to get off PS2 graphics with MHW

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haquer posted:

If only they like..... maybe made the game LOOK better for the Switch port?

I really can't wait to get off PS2 graphics with MHW

Considering that it's a port and not a remaster, I think they did a great job. Most of the textures have been updated, they've got some nicer shaders and the resolution is what, 5 times higher?

What do people expect, that they magically conjure up new 3D models for all the content in mhxx (a lot of which is legacy stuff)? :shrug:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I would much rather fight Garuga than Dreadqueen. At least, before I had a fungasax. Dreadqueen is no fun.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zodack posted:

I would much rather fight Garuga than Dreadqueen. At least, before I had a fungasax. Dreadqueen is no fun.

I got into Hunting Horn specifically to take down Dreadqueen and it was 1000% worth it

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Your Computer posted:

Considering that it's a port and not a remaster, I think they did a great job. Most of the textures have been updated, they've got some nicer shaders and the resolution is what, 5 times higher?

What do people expect, that they magically conjure up new 3D models for all the content in mhxx (a lot of which is legacy stuff)? :shrug:

I just want the game to look good. It's an up res with cleaned up textures so still mostly a ps2 game.

Basically the mhw poo poo has spoiled me and I want it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haquer posted:

I just want the game to look good. It's an up res

I'm just being pedantic, but I mean.. That's literally what a port is (of a handheld game nonetheless!) and if you expected otherwise then that's on you and not Capcom :v:

I feel you though, the footage of MHW has got me lusting badly for some high res monhun. Considering how far off the PC release probably is, it almost hurts to look at the great footage :qq:

Unrelated: I'm trying Brave Gunlance and I'm wondering, it gets an instant guard point on its quick reload which is really powerful but can you just spam it over and over? I've never used GL before but I know it has some funky properties like losing sharpness when shelling, so does reloading also have some sort of penalty? It feels silly to do a (quick) full reload with an already full clip, but the guard point is great and if you can use it whenever then.. even better :getin:

e: okay, another question; if shelling does flat damage, does that mean it gets less useful as you progress through the game (due to scaling)?

I've never used a Gunlance before and decided to go against a Lagiacrus for the hell of it and uh.. It died in 5 minutes. The one I fought earlier with a Longsword took me like 15 :stare:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 3, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shell damage goes up on higher tier weapons as well, there's like rank 1-5. And you can use bombardier or whatever the skill is that boosts explosive damage.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you're not optimally hitting weak spots when you're playing the other blademaster weapons then shelling damage is actually okay throughout the game due to the level upgrades mentioned. It just starts to look really sad once you start playing optimally. If you were going for breaks with your LS it's not surprising that a GL could be faster pretty much instantly, though I imagine you would get comparable or faster LS time if you just focused on chest hits repeatedly.

GL is easily one of my favourite weapons and it gets a lot of flak mostly for having bad speed run times, but on the flip side for normal play it's a nice combination of "fast enough", part-breaking and safe. I don't think I've ever not built a GL even when I decide to focus on other weapons since there's guaranteed to be a fight I can clear faster with less farming via GL (dalamadur key quest solo in 4U, would otherwise want harder to farm weapons and it'd still take longer I think) or a part I can break-farm faster via GL (stuff like claws in a bunch of games).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't want to fight gravios ever again. what a slog

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Use gun and laugh at the giant pincushion.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Marogareh posted:

I love Garuga for the amount of grief it gives people. His theme is super good and fits him to a T.

Garuga is my favorite monster. There are other monsters I like more, but the big goofy gently caress is my favorite.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 4, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RE: Gunlance
I think maybe I just found by accident that Brave GL is kinda broken against Lagiacrus, because I ended up farming him a whole bunch and man does Brave GL trivialize him (and I actually think he's pretty hard in Gen/XX!). The Brave stance lets you avoid all of his electric attacks with little damage incurred and for the rest I had the guard point. I still don't know how to actually play non-Brave GL though, because I was basically just quick reloading, full bursting, quick reloading, full bursting and it just ruined him :v:

Kinda interested in learning to actually play GL now though, it's a cool weapon.

IronicDongz posted:

I don't want to fight gravios ever again. what a slog

Is this MHXX and if so, are his hitboxes still busted? I swear he's compensating for something with those exaggerated hitboxes :argh:

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Regular GL got a weird and unfortunate nerf with the heat system changes from 4 to G, I'm really stoked to get back into it for World!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Monster Hunter: World verdict: It's pretty great. Only got to do one hunt, and took an easier one, since the people I was with have never played before. Looks great, feels great, basically what I was expecting: load-free MH with much prettier graphics. There's a lot of new stuff: armor works differently, charms work differently, there's mantles, something called a slinger, there are environmental hazards that monsters can fall in, mounting is more active and you can shift around on the monster and use your actual weapon rather than your kukri. Probably more stuff I didn't get to play around with.

Dauntless verdict: Seems pretty good. I got a beta key for free, so I did a bunch of hunts tonight. They feel halfway between a normal MMO fight and a MH fight. I place it below MH on most metrics, but it could have potential, depending on how it goes--I'm not that far in. That said, the beta is still a bit clunky with regards to the UI, and controller/KBAM interaction. Had a few monsters that got wonky, too.

ImpactVector posted:

Random thoughts on Dauntless since I saw a few others mention it in the thread:

tl;dr: If you have a real game to play do that instead until this one either dies or fleshes out a bit and figures out what it wants to be.

The combat was okay, but not as fun as MH. Weapon reaches are all really short, even for the big ones, and the focus on predetermined combos moves the focus a little or maybe hides the standard "watch the monster and learn their tells" and puts it slightly more towards executing particular combos, some of which are pretty garbage (with little feedback on which actually are more damaging).

Armor seems to get new skills as it's leveled up, but there wasn't an indication of what it eventually gains when you make it, so you go into it just hoping that it'll eventually be better than what you've got now. You can't even see the special abilities of the lanterns (a special piece of armor that generally gives you some kind of active buff, like finding the monster or temporary aoe health regeneration) before you craft them.

You get a letter grade at the end of each hunt, but there's no real indication of what caused it to be better or worse, and each player gets their own grade in addition to the party grade. With MH subquests you have a clear side goal and it's very transparent about what you ended up getting because you completed it. Whereas the loot crates you get at the end of hunts in DL are slightly randomized and seemingly not immediately related to your performance.

E: I was intrigued by Dauntless but I mostly picked it up because a few primarily PC gaming friends that I play co-op games with weekly were interested. If we burn out on this and they're still interested in the genre I might try to direct them towards Toukiden 2 or wait for Worlds to come out.
Agree with all of this. You need to be basically inside a monster to hit it with the longsword, which is pretty long, graphically. The weapon combos are lackluster: longsword has four (X X X X, Y Y Y Y, X X X Y Y, Y Y X X X [...] or something of the sort), axe has two (X X Y Y, Y Y Y Y, can charge the 1st and 3rd attack of each combo).

The rankings are confounding. I was playing with a friend who was testing out a new weapon and getting bronze on damage but getting an S+ rating, and I'd have gold on bastion (?) and damage and roll in with an A.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow I had forgotten how hilariously abrupt and great the MHGen ending is :pram:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Haquer posted:

I just want the game to look good. It's an up res with cleaned up textures so still mostly a ps2 game.

I'd be ok with this right now, I just want more MH.

I don't think I'll be ok with it after MHW releases though. I'm not sure Capcom is playing their cards right.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Arrekz put out a video that goes into what we know about the new armor skill system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRHLDAzPOIU

Really cool stuff. I love that there are single point and three point skills as well as the full seven point skills like Attack. Also really cool how they are expanding skills out and being a lot clearer with their effects. Take Fire Resistance for example: The game specifically spells out what you get at each level (+6/+12/+20) and on top of that, if you take the skill to level three, you get +10 Defense as well! Interestingly, with the seven point skills, they seem to gain a secondary effect (5% Affinity for Attack, 3 Elemental Resist for Defense) at around level four or five. That secondary effect does not increase any further after that, so if you are optimizing you can just aim for the secondary effect tier. Stuff like that makes me feel a lot better about this new system, optimizing mixed sets to be good and look cool was a really enjoyable part of the endgame for me.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
After playing Gen for so long, going back to any older game in the series is direly annoying with lack of 'hold button to gather'. That was the single best quality of life improvement they've made in the series.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AttackBacon posted:

Arrekz put out a video that goes into what we know about the new armor skill system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRHLDAzPOIU

Really cool stuff. I love that there are single point and three point skills as well as the full seven point skills like Attack. Also really cool how they are expanding skills out and being a lot clearer with their effects. Take Fire Resistance for example: The game specifically spells out what you get at each level (+6/+12/+20) and on top of that, if you take the skill to level three, you get +10 Defense as well! Interestingly, with the seven point skills, they seem to gain a secondary effect (5% Affinity for Attack, 3 Elemental Resist for Defense) at around level four or five. That secondary effect does not increase any further after that, so if you are optimizing you can just aim for the secondary effect tier. Stuff like that makes me feel a lot better about this new system, optimizing mixed sets to be good and look cool was a really enjoyable part of the endgame for me.

I love this too. It's still the same basic idea as the old system, but clearer and without useless levels of skills; if you have the points, you're getting something from them. It's clearer, more straightforward, and more flexible, without really changing the idea of "armor gives you skills that add up to be better and you can either use whole sets or mix and match pieces for varied bonuses".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
rath marrow go gently caress urself

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

After playing Gen for so long, going back to any older game in the series is direly annoying with lack of 'hold button to gather'. That was the single best quality of life improvement they've made in the series.

Reminder that item sets used to not exist and equipment sets used to not include the decorations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BMan posted:

Reminder that item sets used to not exist and equipment sets used to not include the decorations.

I stand by what I said.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

AttackBacon posted:

This looks great. The 10 point threshhold can gently caress off. Fashion Hunter in full swing.

Does the fire attack skills add fire to any weapon, or just boost a weapon with fire affinity? Seemed like it be really easy to keep a few fire armor pieces around and get a real good boost from it. What I mean is, it seems way more reasonable, theoretically, to get on a new helmet or charm if your specing for a specific fight then in previous games where you have to go grind for 3 hours to get a set that could do what you wanted.

Also level 3 elemental defense giving you the equivalent of level 2 defense is pretty dang cool.

This game is rad. I wanna play.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How are you supposed to deal with the burning status effect when using Lance/Gunlance? Back/side-hops don't seem to clear it which sucks.

Heck, that might be my least favorite status effect because "drop you poo poo and roll 4-5 times" is not a fun mechanic. Is there an armor skill or something that mitigates it? Is it affected by fire res?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Your Computer posted:

How are you supposed to deal with the burning status effect when using Lance/Gunlance? Back/side-hops don't seem to clear it which sucks.

Put away your weapon? Or make a set with blightproof I guess.

e: Armor with +10 fire resistance will prevent regular fireblight. +25 will also prevent strong fireblight.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 5, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can eat for groomer and roll 2 times instead of 3. poo poo is real annoying if you're using aerial.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Put away your weapon? Or make a set with blightproof I guess.

e: Armor with +10 fire resistance will prevent regular fireblight. +25 will also prevent strong fireblight.

Well yeah I know I can put away my weapon :v: It's just that rolling around like a maniac is cumbersome enough and having to put away the weapon first makes it twice as annoying (and dangerous). Thanks though, I didn't know about the resistances :3:

Marogareh posted:

You can eat for groomer and roll 2 times instead of 3. poo poo is real annoying if you're using aerial.
I also totally hadn't thought about groomer. Thanks! And yeah, fireblight with aerial is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can clear blight with hops, it just takes twice as many as it does rolls. Usually more efficient to just sheathe but the option's there.

• Locked thread