Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bethesda is only different from other AAA companies in that they are more incompetent and brainless than actively hostile. They really just seem clueless on this whole system.
To be fair to Bethesda, this seems a lot like their games. Really ambitious and something that nobody else is quite doing, but ultimately falling short in ways that from an outsider's point of view seem avoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I beat the vanilla game, kind of rushed through it, on a friend's Xbox when it came out.

Thinking of buying the game for the PC so I can play Far Harbor, which is apparently excellent. Steam has it for $25 in addition to the main game which seems like a lot, especially because all the recent reviews are negative basically saying "paid mods".

I can still just upload mods the old fashioned way with nexus manager right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I beat the vanilla game, kind of rushed through it, on a friend's Xbox when it came out.

Thinking of buying the game for the PC so I can play Far Harbor, which is apparently excellent. Steam has it for $25 in addition to the main game which seems like a lot, especially because all the recent reviews are negative basically saying "paid mods".

I can still just upload mods the old fashioned way with nexus manager right?

Yes though given how rock stupid bethesda is being I wouldn't entirely put it past them to manage to break that.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

OwlFancier posted:

Yes though given how rock stupid bethesda is being I wouldn't entirely put it past them to manage to break that.

Understood, guess I'll hold off for now then.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It just occurred to me that we now have three main menu entries dedicated to adding new content to the game: The DLC menus (where you can buy any DLC you don't yet own), The Bethesda.net Mods menu, and the Creation Club menu. Yay for redundancy.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Shhh! If they hear you they'll add in game micro-transaction advertisements just to spite us.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is the list of mods from the OP still considered relevant? Hasn't been updated in a bit and I'm basically looking at Reddit and Broduals youtube channel for recommendations.

I only need a handful of mods each for; quality of life, ambiance, equipment, and game play to get going.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Gonkish posted:

Remember how Bethesda made a big deal about the mods on CC being "curated" and "tested" and such? Is anyone really shocked that basic testing wasn't done and now modders are fixing it?

Also, just so that this post isn't just more bitching about CC, here's something awesome:

NCR Patrolman and Trooper armor. REALLY good quality, by the looks of it.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26497/

I really wish you could have that bandoleer on any armor you want, it's precisely what I've been after for a while now. Good poo poo, though.

Edit:

Has anyone made a reloading animation fix for the China Lake launcher and holorifle?

Beeb fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 3, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I really wish you could have that bandoleer on any armor you want, it's precisely what I've been after for a while now. Good poo poo, though.

Edit:

Has anyone made a reloading animation fix for the China Lake launcher and holorifle?

What's the problem? I thought they had custom animations now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the deal w/ the CC hellfire armor? Old mods weren't supposed to be in creation club.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What's the deal w/ the CC hellfire armor? Old mods weren't supposed to be in creation club.
Both the Hellfire X-03 PA mod and the Creation Hellfire look the same because both emulate FO3's Hellfire armor. But besides looking similar, they're clearly different. Also the Hellfire X-03 PA mod came out very recently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Raygereio posted:

Both the Hellfire X-03 PA mod and the Creation Hellfire look the same because both emulate FO3's Hellfire armor. But besides looking similar, they're clearly different. Also the Hellfire X-03 PA mod came out very recently.

Right, I forgot about the Hellfire being in FO3.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Right, I forgot about the Hellfire being in FO3.

Also being the reason the Enclave didn't build more eyebots like ED-E!

Also I think that, since every one of the CC mods so far is low :effort: garbage, there should be a concentrated effort to make, from scratch, an equivalent free mod.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 3, 2017

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Did this last update mess up something huge? Because I seem to need to deactivate all my mods in the Nexus Mod Manager and then reinstall them after launching the game without them to get them to work?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The update automatically changes all of your load order to alphabetical, apparently, which'll probably break your saves until you restore it to what it was.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The update automatically changes all of your load order to alphabetical, apparently, which'll probably break your saves until you restore it to what it was.

How do you do that if you're using NMM?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is the list of mods from the OP still considered relevant? Hasn't been updated in a bit and I'm basically looking at Reddit and Broduals youtube channel for recommendations.

I only need a handful of mods each for; quality of life, ambiance, equipment, and game play to get going.
OP should still be relevant, I havent gone over it in depth for a while, but I try to keep old or outdated mods out.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Every time I restart my computer? God I hope they fix this soon.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Back Hack posted:

What's the problem? I thought they had custom animations now.

It's like the lever action; you shoot once, and reloading puts five in the tube. Same for the launchers. You get the admittedly cool animation of popping a fresh one in the chamber, but reload the tube even if you only shot once.

It's gotten me killed a few times :haw:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

There is a scripted reload mod that changes that behavior, but it's dependant upon either the mod author or some industrious person to make a patch or include support for it outright. Works beautifully on the lever action, however.

Meanwhile, per the Hellfire: the free Hellfire mod is amazing, and they completely outclassed the CC one to such a degree that it would be embarrassing if it weren't so funny. The CC Hellfire apparently doesn't have much in the way of mods outside of the normal ones every PA has access to. The mod one has a bunch of unique stuff that gives the armor a niche. The paid mod is basically just a different armor model, while the free mod has actual features that no other armor can replicate.

They put more effort into the free mod than Bethesda did with the one they're charging money for. It's absurd, but it also holds true for the Chinese stealth armor on the CC. It's low effort as gently caress, to the point that there aren't even any armor mods available to it at all, so that its only mildly special thing is a unique activation sound when the stealth field goes up. The free variant allows for a hell of a lot of customization and just generally has more actual work and passion put into it.

On top of that, how Bethesda is just casually tossing this poo poo into the game screams "money grab". At least, in the case of the free mods, they try to integrate that poo poo into the world. You have to go to the glowing sea to get the Hellfire, and to the Chinese sub for the stealth armor. The paid mods literally just spawn npcs in a random spot in the wilderness, and then plop a quest marker on them. There's no attempt to make them fit into the world, you just get a fetch quest.

I have no idea how they thought this whole thing was ever going to go over any other way. Gopher was right: had they actually shown that they learned from their mistakes, and focused on delivering meaty, meaningful content of a quality that truly would add appreciable value to the game, they could have won people over. Instead, they do everything possible to deflect the whole "paid mods" argument (remember "mini dlc"?), and then poo poo out lazy, buggy, feature poor knockoff mods in their first wave. They ruined any chance at redemption that they had in the eyes of their customers.

Even if it was meant for PS4, to get around Sony being dumb, why the gently caress would you risk pissing off loyal customers like this? Is the next to nil you're gonna make off lovely mods really that important? Is Zenimax really that hard up for cash? This just sounds like the coked-up fever dream of some boardroom fuckhead who wants to "increase shareholder confidence" or whatever the gently caress, and he/she/it doesn't understand or care that they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gonkish posted:

There is a scripted reload mod that changes that behavior, but it's dependant upon either the mod author or some industrious person to make a patch or include support for it outright. Works beautifully on the lever action, however.

Meanwhile, per the Hellfire: the free Hellfire mod is amazing, and they completely outclassed the CC one to such a degree that it would be embarrassing if it weren't so funny. The CC Hellfire apparently doesn't have much in the way of mods outside of the normal ones every PA has access to. The mod one has a bunch of unique stuff that gives the armor a niche. The paid mod is basically just a different armor model, while the free mod has actual features that no other armor can replicate.

They put more effort into the free mod than Bethesda did with the one they're charging money for. It's absurd, but it also holds true for the Chinese stealth armor on the CC. It's low effort as gently caress, to the point that there aren't even any armor mods available to it at all, so that its only mildly special thing is a unique activation sound when the stealth field goes up. The free variant allows for a hell of a lot of customization and just generally has more actual work and passion put into it.

On top of that, how Bethesda is just casually tossing this poo poo into the game screams "money grab". At least, in the case of the free mods, they try to integrate that poo poo into the world. You have to go to the glowing sea to get the Hellfire, and to the Chinese sub for the stealth armor. The paid mods literally just spawn npcs in a random spot in the wilderness, and then plop a quest marker on them. There's no attempt to make them fit into the world, you just get a fetch quest.

I have no idea how they thought this whole thing was ever going to go over any other way. Gopher was right: had they actually shown that they learned from their mistakes, and focused on delivering meaty, meaningful content of a quality that truly would add appreciable value to the game, they could have won people over. Instead, they do everything possible to deflect the whole "paid mods" argument (remember "mini dlc"?), and then poo poo out lazy, buggy, feature poor knockoff mods in their first wave. They ruined any chance at redemption that they had in the eyes of their customers.

Even if it was meant for PS4, to get around Sony being dumb, why the gently caress would you risk pissing off loyal customers like this? Is the next to nil you're gonna make off lovely mods really that important? Is Zenimax really that hard up for cash? This just sounds like the coked-up fever dream of some boardroom fuckhead who wants to "increase shareholder confidence" or whatever the gently caress, and he/she/it doesn't understand or care that they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Bethesda doesn't know their community in the least is why, they are simply out of touch mixed with "that's OUR money" while not even attempting a token effort to hide it. Or understand the community that their games have spawned.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26531/

I speak Japanese only.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Gonkish posted:

<Creation Club business>

Oh yeah I've got the lever one already, and the mod author for the China Lake and holo rifle said they tried to integrate the script but couldn't figure it out. I found the animation framework mod and the description says knowledge of the CK and animation is required and wouldn't be covered so that's me knocked right out of giving this a go on my own :downs:

KakerMix posted:

Bethesda doesn't know their community in the least is why, they are simply out of touch mixed with "that's OUR money" while not even attempting a token effort to hide it. Or understand the community that their games have spawned.

lol remember when Pete Hines was yelling at people on twitter for asking if Bethesda understood Fallout lore, then doubled down on it when folks were saying "Hey maybe the head of public relations for a Bethesda sized company shouldn't be so hostile to its fans"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god you can put it on legs.

It's time for sexytank.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
So are all mods completely broken now, until Bethesda comes up with a patch?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

General Morden posted:

So are all mods completely broken now, until Bethesda comes up with a patch?

No, not really.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, it's basically the metal slug tank. This is loving adorable. :allears:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Horizon 1.2 is in beta, with tons of changes to settlements (including specialized settler roles) and an initial implementation of settler auto-equipping (which I've wanted for ages). Other noteworthy improvements:

quote:

(NEW) Ammo Field Switching
- NOTE: Any existing weapons WILL NOT work with this until you drop them on the ground and pick them up again
- You can now use a device called the "Weapon Toolkit" to switch ammo and firing modes on certain weapons
- This device can be crafted in the Weapons Lab under "Tools and Parts"
- The device is located in the AID tab, and can be assigned to your favorites bar
- Certain ammo types may require additional tools called "Conversion Kits"
- You simply need to carry the appropriate Conversion Kit with you, in order to swap some ammo types
- Some ammo types that require a conversion kit cannot be swapped while in combat*
- Ammo types that don't require a conversion kit, can be swapped at any time
- There are 3 styles of kits: Pipe, Pistol, and Rifle - Each has 3 ranks
- Each rank of the conversion kit can be upgraded into the next rank
- You only need to carry the highest rank conversion kit, and the previous kit is consumed when you upgrade it
- The toolkit menu will tell you which ammo requires a conversion kit (and which rank)
- The toolkit menu will display how much of each ammo you currently have
*I may possibly remove this, depending on how the balance feels

quote:

Survival Mode
- You can now sleep in a sleeping bag or dirty mattress for up to 9 hours
- Sleeping bags and dirty mattresses no longer have a penalty to block you from getting "rested" status
- Sleeping bags and dirty mattresses still do not let you get the "Well Rested" buffs

quote:

Armor Rebalancing - Legendary Mods
>> Some Legendary mods are being rolled into the "Lining" mod section of specific armor types
>> This gives much better flexibility for allowing something like Leather armor to only have certain mods
- Legendary mods are crafted inside the Armor workbench as all other mods are
- Legendary mods usually require raw materials found on legendary enemies
- Legendary mods that didn't make sense or don't fit/balance, are not carried over (which are many)
- Some existing legendary mods are disabled

Legendary Mods available so far:
- Leather Torso only: Chameleon - Enemies have a harder time detecting you, while you're sneaking and not moving.
- Leather Torso only: Poisoner's - +10 poison resistance.
- Leather Toros only: Sprinter's - Increases wearer's movement speed by 10%. Reduces weight.
- Leather Arms only: Lucky - +1 Luck
- Combat Torso: Cavalier - Reduces damage while blocking or sprinting by 15%.
- Combat Torso: Titan - Reduces damage while standing and not moving by 15%.
- Combat Torso: Punishing - Reflects 10% of melee damage back on attacker.
- Combat Arms: Duelist - 10% chance to disarm melee attacker on hit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Is anyone else not getting subtitles with the full dialogue overhaul mod since this last update? All of my poo poo is up to date, and my response menu works but I get no subtitles on anyone.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Is anyone else not getting subtitles with the full dialogue overhaul mod since this last update? All of my poo poo is up to date, and my response menu works but I get no subtitles on anyone.
Just to get the obvious out of the way: You do have subtitles enabled under Settings-Display?
The string files do need to be updates for the 1.10 patch, but those being out of date shouldn't disable subtitles.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Raygereio posted:

Just to get the obvious out of the way: You do have subtitles enabled under Settings-Display?
The string files do need to be updates for the 1.10 patch, but those being out of date shouldn't disable subtitles.

It turns out I'm a massive idiot. Subtitles were turned off :downs:

Edit:

I found this guide for fixing reload animations, so if anyone wants to take a stab at fixing the reload on the China Lake and holorifle launchers, might be worth looking into.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 5, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Apparently people are accusing Bethesda of plagarising their Chinese stealth suit and hellfire power armor mods. :allears:

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
The people who made the mods are? or Joe Commentsection?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Erd posted:

The people who made the mods are? or Joe Commentsection?

Joe Commentsection's younger, more idiotic brother, Bill Youtubevideo.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I've been playing FO4 on my PS4 (I'm deployed to Saudi Arabia for 1-4 years and had to leave my PC behind. Building a new one soon, though), and it seems kind of boring and samey no matter what character I make. Everything is just ghouls or bandits all the way down with the occasional super mutant tossed in. The quests aren't great (with the exception of The Silver Shroud), and none of the factions seem compelling.

Do PC mods make a huge difference in this, or would I be wasting my time giving it another go? It really seems like there is a great game hiding in here somewhere, and I'd love to find it.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The addition of survival mode and several mods made me really enjoy the game when i tried it again after feeling lukewarm on it at release.

The quests/writing/factions are still kind of lame (although imo the dlc is generally quite good) but with some minor tweaking it makes a good challenging survival experience if thats a thing you are interested in.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Clever Spambot posted:

The addition of survival mode and several mods made me really enjoy the game when i tried it again after feeling lukewarm on it at release.

The quests/writing/factions are still kind of lame (although imo the dlc is generally quite good) but with some minor tweaking it makes a good challenging survival experience if thats a thing you are interested in.

I've kind of avoided survival mode because I assumed it was a 7 Days to Die simulator. I just read up on it...and I think I'd like it. The ho hum, sneak everywhere and murder the bad guys on my radar combat is one of the things I don't enjoy...so the changes there might make a huge difference. I'll have to get used to the save function...but I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: Are there any benefits to MO over NMM?

Devorum fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 5, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26567/

Someone's already made a mod to make the BA2s go away for people who don't want them.

Obviously it's a thing you can do yourself pretty simply, but... I enjoyed this tidbit from PCGamer in the comments:

quote:

It’s not clear if it’s working as intended or not, but a Bethesda community manager has explained that they’re looking into ways to not make downloading the Creation Club archive mandatory with each patch.

“We’re working on solutions that would not require Creation Club archives be part of the game’s patch,” community manager Cartogriffi says. “We are certainly listening to everything people are saying, and appreciate the constructive feedback, both positive and negative.”

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So they fully intended from the get-go to make all CC files download automatically? And for it to need to patch the game each time? Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CFox posted:

So they fully intended from the get-go to make all CC files download automatically? And for it to need to patch the game each time? Christ.
It makes sense when you consider the restrictions for modding on the console. The files added by patches don't count towards the storage cap for mods. So distributing the assets as part of a patch was the simplest solution for allowing the console users to actually use the poo poo Bethesda wants them to pay for. Similarly the new .esl data file was probably thought up as a way around the plugin limit on the console.

The “We’re working on solutions that would not require Creation Club archives be part of the game’s patch” probably means they're negotiating with Microsoft and Sony.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 5, 2017