Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the us border control has gotten a lot better and more efficient in the past few years.

I've had problems entering U.K., Canada, USA and china

I've had problems leaving Slovenia, China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I've been pulled over twice at immigration:

1. Coming over the US/Canada border at Lewiston because my passport had "a lot of Arabic" in it. This was especially funny because my boyfriend at the time, who was Russian, was so terrified of US immigration that he almost didn't want to go on the trip at the last minute. They asked him where he was born and he shouted I VAS BORN SOVIET UNION and they didn't care at all. It was funny.

2. Got pulled over and grilled about my "husband" at JFK once. At the time, I wasn't married, and I was confused until I realized they meant my younger brother, who got all the brown guy genes and is basically my photo negative.

I got pat-down searches every single time I flew in Egypt, sometimes twice. I was the only person in the group under fifty, and blond. Hmm....

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Reminds me to switch out the ballbearings on my bandsaw. I've got some left, but judging on how they behave, they're chinese. Going straight to the trash.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

guess who is taking the bait?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

The only time I've been pulled out and searched at an airport was entering China, because my luggage had books in it and they needed to be inspected.
When I had a 3 hour layover in Canada one time this Montreal customs person hassled me for 20 drat minutes. I got interrogated hardcore. I don't know if she thought she was going to catch the US plotting against Quebec or what.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 2, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
US immigration blows. Have you ever tried to get a rail mounted camera to take toddler's picture? loving impossible. I hate the line to get in the line and I don't feel like being American gets me through any faster.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

US immigration blows. Have you ever tried to get a rail mounted camera to take toddler's picture? loving impossible. I hate the line to get in the line and I don't feel like being American gets me through any faster.

Are there countries where citizens and non-citizens go through the same line?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

Possibly? Usually there's the reserved lines for citizens, but if there aren't any citizens and the non-citizen is crowded they let people move over. In the States it just doesn't feel like they process citizens any faster than they do non-citizens. Having a whole room of kiosks to self scan in your passport and take a photo seems way less efficient than just having the immigration officer do it, and the officer has to scan your passport and check your paperwork anyway.

Taiwan was nice because at least as a resident with a work permit I could use the citizen line. Thailand has me with all the tourists.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

As a white westerner I always just choose the shortest line when I'm entering China and if it happens to be one for citizens only I just tingbudong my way through.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hedenius posted:

As a white westerner I always just choose the shortest line when I'm entering China and if it happens to be one for citizens only I just tingbudong my way through.

It's cool because they do the same thing entering the States. Every time I pass through the agents speak more and better Mandarin.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
US customs definitely seems to depend on where you come in. For example: Hawaii is really chill. Denver is also cool and pretty fast. I don't remember anything specific about Dallas so I guess it was alright. Chicago though... All of the customs agents seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Pretty much everyone at O'Hare seems to be constantly pissed off but I guess that's what living in Chicago does to you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dr.Radical posted:

US customs definitely seems to depend on where you come in. For example: Hawaii is really chill. Denver is also cool and pretty fast. I don't remember anything specific about Dallas so I guess it was alright. Chicago though... All of the customs agents seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Pretty much everyone at O'Hare seems to be constantly pissed off but I guess that's what living in Chicago does to you.

I come through LA since I connect through Taipei. LA is the loving worst.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've found LA to be pretty good, but maybe I was lucky.

Once tried declaring a bunch of possibly restricted medication I was on because I didn't want to get caught smuggling it through or something, they just kept waving me through the checkpoints until I was on the street. Could have had a Ziploc of fentanyl for all they knew.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I remember lolling at customs in Moscow because there was a tiny room and four passport windows and lots of people and no line dividers.
And I agree that the self-check at US customs doesn't seem to save any time. There's still a staff person guiding me through, and I still have to wait in a massive line. The only time it was actually faster was on a Mexico-Chicago flight where the number of US citizens was tiny compared to green card, other visa and tourists.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

At LAX I was behind a Chinese family with a suitcase of dried seahorses and the customs guy was so pissed they had US passports and didn't/were pretending to not understand English.
Then he liked my scarf (red w/skulls) and bought it off me for $10 cash right there for his daughter lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

Ive gone international through that airport so many times that when I finally went through LAX one time I was confused as to why none of the customs agents seemed to be in a death cult

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
lmao

https://my.mixtape.moe/yguvty.mp4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Barudak posted:

Ive gone international through that airport so many times that when I finally went through LAX one time I was confused as to why none of the customs agents seemed to be in a death cult

This is why I think of the alternate universe because O'Hare is by far the most pleasant and efficient international entry point I've ever used. Everybody was nice and helpful and there are also dinosaurs.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

peanut posted:

And I agree that the self-check at US customs doesn't seem to save any time. There's still a staff person guiding me through, and I still have to wait in a massive line. The only time it was actually faster was on a Mexico-Chicago flight where the number of US citizens was tiny compared to green card, other visa and tourists.

No idea about the US ones, but the EU ones are something like twice as fast I find. Don't know how different they are.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I got detained for hours once at Vancouver while I was backpacking. Probably didn't help that I'd come from Ibiza via Amsterdam, and that I didn't have a hostel or anything booked in town!

Also a pro-tip for anyone who's a dual-citizen: when they ask to see your passport again, don't reply "which one?"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

extremely mainland

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
mainland dadbod

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

I come through LA since I connect through Taipei. LA is the loving worst.

LAX Seattle and Chicago are the worst. They destroyed my bag in Seattle. Ripped it apart. No idea what they were looking for.

Honolulu and Boston are the best I've come in through.

JFK was nice but took forever. When I flew in to JFK last month I told the guy "thanks for your service" and he told me "thanks for coming home" and I was like "omg <3"

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

He should have just whipped his rear end after flipping that cart because cops aren't gonna do poo poo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

webmeister posted:

I got detained for hours once at Vancouver while I was backpacking. Probably didn't help that I'd come from Ibiza via Amsterdam, and that I didn't have a hostel or anything booked in town!

Also a pro-tip for anyone who's a dual-citizen: when they ask to see your passport again, don't reply "which one?"

Can confirm.

Arriving in Australia I pulled one out, "Oops, wrong passport", put it back and pulled out the right one. She did a visible double take and I swear I could see her tense like a predator animal stepping on rabbit. Everything was all good but for a second she looked like her birthday and Christmas came at once like 'Oh gently caress yes this dumb motherfucking idiot is MIIIINNEEE!'

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Outrail posted:

Can confirm.

Arriving in Australia I pulled one out, "Oops, wrong passport", put it back and pulled out the right one. She did a visible double take and I swear I could see her tense like a predator animal stepping on rabbit. Everything was all good but for a second she looked like her birthday and Christmas came at once like 'Oh gently caress yes this dumb motherfucking idiot is MIIIINNEEE!'

The gently caress are you doing, expand that story!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lazer Monkey posted:

The gently caress are you doing, expand that story!

I can't speak for Outrail but I'm a dual citizen of Australia and the UK. When entering/leaving Australia I use my Australian passport, when entering/leaving the EU I use my UK passport.

There's been a few other countries as well where using one or the other gets minor benefits like a longer visa or waived VoA fees etc.

Normally it's fine but when they already suspect you of being a drug trafficker or whatever, it's a red flag the size of a bed sheet

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

webmeister posted:

I can't speak for Outrail but I'm a dual citizen of Australia and the UK. When entering/leaving Australia I use my Australian passport, when entering/leaving the EU I use my UK passport.

There's been a few other countries as well where using one or the other gets minor benefits like a longer visa or waived VoA fees etc.

Normally it's fine but when they already suspect you of being a drug trafficker or whatever, it's a red flag the size of a bed sheet

Yeah, with the US you have to use your US passport for entering if you are a dual citizen. The US government doesn't particularly like dual citizenship (mostly because it creates legal headaches in certain situations) but several Supreme Court rulings have affirmed that they can't actually strip someone of US citizenship against their will, so :shrug: It will keep you from getting a security clearance though.

If it were China or Japan it'd be another thing entirely, as they don't recognise dual citizenship and can yoink it/make you choose. I'll bet that would make a border control agent's day.

Not sure if it's made international news much, but Australia is currently embroiled in a so-stupid-its-funny controversy in which a number of MPs didn't realise they were dual citizens of various countries (MPs cannot have foreign citizenship or citizen-like rights), so there are questions as to whether their elections are invalidated. It seems like there's a new one every week.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not sure if it's made international news much, but Australia is currently embroiled in a so-stupid-its-funny controversy in which a number of MPs didn't realise they were dual citizens of various countries (MPs cannot have foreign citizenship or citizen-like rights), so there are questions as to whether their elections are invalidated. It seems like there's a new one every week. New Zealand counts as an independent country

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm dying to ditch my US citizenship, but apparently it's pricey. Ugh. If y'all hate Brown people so much LET ME GOOOOO.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
My wife wants to ditch hers, it's something like 700€.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The worst airport I have ever dealt with was Madras, (as it was then) international. Surprisingly enough the domestic airport in Madras/Chennai is a lot better than the international one.

The longest wait I had was flying into Istanbul where I had to wait in a line for almost 2 hours with a bunch of Russians and Saudis, whilst the three bored and listless customs officials lazily took their time in getting us all processed.

The only time I have been hassled was flying home from San Francisco where was "randomly" pulled out of queues 3 times by airline staff, only to be searched by the same security guard, who was as bemused as I was to have to pat me down a second time.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

My wife wants to ditch hers, it's something like 700€.

I was reading numbers between ten and seventy thousand USD. I guess I gotta do more research.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
lol it's literally the first result on google. I guess you're not exactly "dying" to renounce it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I... RENOUNCE MY CITIZENSHIP!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was reading numbers between ten and seventy thousand USD. I guess I gotta do more research.

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol it's literally the first result on google. I guess you're not exactly "dying" to renounce it.

mansplaining.txt

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Except there's two separate fees. There's the fee for renouncing and then there's a one-time tax based on what you "would have" paid in taxes over a ten year stretch.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except there's two separate fees. There's the fee for renouncing and then there's a one-time tax based on what you "would have" paid in taxes over a ten year stretch.

Lmao of course america fleeces it's citizens even when they are trying to get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao of course america fleeces it's citizens even when they are trying to get out

The expatriation tax is basically a capital gains tax on the appreciation on assets that you have at the time that you give up your citizenship/tax residency, in order to make sure that you don't avoid paying tax on assets that would have been subject to US tax if you didn't give up citizenship/tax residence. Also, I'm pretty certain a number of other countries do the same thing.

• Locked thread