Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Vic_ToryUK/status/904031804570701825

Congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn for his future victory

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2007/feb/08/business.comment

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I didn't have "Trump will blame South Korea and feel sorry for China" in my mental pool of Trump responses.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Is he mad at south korea just because of that free trade deal? Don't all his buddies profit off that trade deal anyways? It sure as gently caress won't bring (a lot) of manufacturing back to the US cause china/mexico will just pick up whats needed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Guys, I'm starting to think this Donald Trump person isn't very smart or rational.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
On Trumps Inauguration, Obama left him a letter in the Oval Office. The contents of that letter have been made public.

Barack Obama posted:

Dear Mr. President -

Congratulations on a remarkable run. Millions have placed their hopes in you, and all of us, regardless of party, should hope for expanded prosperity and security during your tenure.

This is a unique office, without a clear blueprint for success, so I don't know that any advice from me will be particularly helpful. Still, let me offer a few reflections from the past 8 years.

First, we've both been blessed, in different ways, with great good fortune. Not everyone is so lucky. It's up to us to do everything we can (to) build more ladders of success for every child and family that's willing to work hard.

Second, American leadership in this world really is indispensable. It's up to us, through action and example, to sustain the international order that's expanded steadily since the end of the Cold War, and upon which our own wealth and safety depend.

Third, we are just temporary occupants of this office. That makes us guardians of those democratic institutions and traditions -- like rule of law, separation of powers, equal protection and civil liberties -- that our forebears fought and bled for. Regardless of the push and pull of daily politics, it's up to us to leave those instruments of our democracy at least as strong as we found them.

And finally, take time, in the rush of events and responsibilities, for friends and family. They'll get you through the inevitable rough patches.

Michelle and I wish you and Melania the very best as you embark on this great adventure, and know that we stand ready to help in any ways which we can.

Good luck and Godspeed,

BO

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/politics/obama-trump-letter-inauguration-day/index.html

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/Vic_ToryUK/status/904031804570701825

Congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn for his future victory

lol this is what? the third attempt at getting something to compete with momentum?

They've all been amazingly lovely

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BigDave posted:

On Trumps Inauguration, Obama left him a letter in the Oval Office. The contents of that letter have been made public.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/politics/obama-trump-letter-inauguration-day/index.html

P.S. We got the pisstape so gently caress off.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So no statement by the United STATES yet? Just trump tweeting?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^There's a difference?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Current event: LA appears to be on fire

Good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Is he mad at south korea just because of that free trade deal? Don't all his buddies profit off that trade deal anyways? It sure as gently caress won't bring (a lot) of manufacturing back to the US cause china/mexico will just pick up whats needed

If memory serves it was a thing Obama did, so President Pissbaby must reverse it.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Trump clearly striving to do the exact opposite of everything Barry wrote in that letter

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

BigDave posted:

lol, it has words and meaning, an appeal and empathy

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Ill Peripheral posted:

Trump clearly striving to do the exact opposite of everything Barry wrote in that letter

It has a five syllable word in it. I'd be amazed if he read past "Mr President" before getting distracted by a shiny pen or some jangly keys.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/DrDinD/status/904237781236441088

So there's some pretty wide ranging estimates on yield due to models and the geology of the test site

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

lol this is what? the third attempt at getting something to compete with momentum?

They've all been amazingly lovely

This is a parody surely?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Sad King Billy posted:

This is a parody surely?

https://twitter.com/Vic_ToryUK/status/904337092314062850

looking at the twitter account page it is really hard to tell if theyre serious or not. it looks like parody but it also looks like an old white person attempt at making memes so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: https://twitter.com/Vic_ToryUK/status/903632364286468098

still not sure

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

This is a parody surely?

The special relationship one is making me think it's possibly a parody but it's also retweeting actual Tory news and the previous two groups had terrible meme game too.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's an ARG for a new season of The Thick of It.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/904376519279173632

Nuclear War is back on the menu!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Does someone have a link to that study about just how lovely the consequences of attacking/invading North Korea would be?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Does someone have a link to that study about just how lovely the consequences of attacking/invading North Korea would be?
Are you maybe talking about this 346 page PDF from the RAND Corp about a North Korean collapse?

---

Trump is like one of the aliens from 3rd Rock From The Sun.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/904055127346102272
He hands the guy a bucket of something through the driver side window then spends a minute loving up putting stuff in the back of a pickup truck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey, Rex, you think you can toss me Mad Dog's calculations? Thanks! Ah, here it is. "Launch Nukes - All Die." Even had it underlined.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

That's the one, thanks. A supposedly serious friend seems to think that the US "must" attack the north to stop them, and thinks the consequences will be no big deal.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2014/07/25/nukes-helped-vietnam/

This is about Vietnam but is pretty good at showing how western powers would come off worse off in any nuclear exchange.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

lol trump is threatening to stop trading with any nation that trades with best korea (china, india, and more). i dont think china is going to get pushed around by you donny dipshit

man it must be embarrassing to have one of the dumbest people in america running your country

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I suppose they believe that a war with North Korea is inevitable and that a preemptive strike against North Korea is the most effective way to reduce the collateral damage from that war.

The problem is that never loving works ever. Ask 1914 Germany and Austria how it turned out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

man it must be embarrassing to have one of the dumbest people in america running your country

Yes.

Yes it is.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lol trump is threatening to stop trading with any nation that trades with best korea (china, india, and more). i dont think china is going to get pushed around by you donny dipshit

A mix of head smacking embarrassment and deep anxiety.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Where were you from again?

/edit:
genuine question

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:
genuine question

I think baring a few exceptions we've all pretty much got the stupidest people running out countries. Funny how that's worked out.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:
genuine question

canada

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I kind of wish he'd just pull the trigger and start a war so I can stop wondering when I get sent.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2014/07/25/nukes-helped-vietnam/

This is about Vietnam but is pretty good at showing how western powers would come off worse off in any nuclear exchange.

Nukes don't work against non conventional forces when deployed exclusively against military targets? WOW YOU DONT loving SAY!

Nuclear weapons pose a question to the whole of a non-nuclear people:

Submission or Extinction. Pick.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I suppose they believe that a war with North Korea is inevitable and that a preemptive strike against North Korea is the most effective way to reduce the collateral damage from that war.

The problem is that never loving works ever. Ask 1914 Germany and Austria how it turned out.
OTOH, Kim's whole thing is that he keeps acquiring weapons to make the costs of a war higher and higher as time goes on. If collapse and war are inevitable, the costs will never be as low as they are now.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

1914 France could probably take 2017 North Korea.

I don't think a Versaillian buttfucking is in the cards for ol' Uncle Sam;

no matter how eager his beaver.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Victor Vermis posted:

1914 France could probably take 2017 North Korea.

I don't think a Versaillian buttfucking is in the cards for ol' Uncle Sam;

no matter how eager his beaver.

Think cost-benefit. How many lives, how much property, and how much infrastructure would the American, Japanese, and South Korean people be willing to trade for the dubious benefit of a conquered Best Korea?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

Think cost-benefit. How many lives, how much property, and how much infrastructure would the American, Japanese, and South Korean people be willing to trade for the dubious benefit of a conquered Best Korea?

Can we just sling a few nukes and call it a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not advocating either way. I just wanted to point and laugh at guy 1 who thinks dropping Nukes on the jungle is somehow relevant and guy 2 who thinks 1914 Germany is to 1914 Europe+Russia as 2017 USA is to 2017 N Korea.

BUT,

Have you met the American people? "Nation building" as a front for corporate plunder of public treasure is our loving jam. We feed our kids to it.

• Locked thread