Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Keetron posted:

Now that [doesn't] mean there was nobody to do the job; it just [means] that there was nobody at the price they were willing to pay."

Further evidence that we have an oceanfront real estate shortage in this country and the government should do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This country has godawful relations with labor in general, and tech is no exception.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Protestant work ethic.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I've seen people pivot to calling it 'the Judeo-Christian work ethic'.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I recently had a recruiter cold-email me with an open posting for a "senior mobile developer." They wanted native iOS and Android experience, plus React on the web. AND they wanted experience with NoSQL databases, Elasticsearch-like platforms, and deployment of the whole shebang to AWS. Oh yeah and it was a 12 month contract, not full time.

The mix of competencies here is like three or four distinct people's jobs. But they don't want to actually hire one, let alone the three or four necessary to do the job right.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fritz posted:

I've seen people pivot to calling it 'the Judeo-Christian work ethic'.

I dunno, culturally catholic countries don't seem to have the same problems. Just different ones.

And I have no idea what japans deal is.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
that's even more dubious than the classic uses of the "protestant work ethic" as a concept, given that, for instance, germany and the scandinavian countries are all majority-protestant too

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

I recently had a recruiter cold-email me with an open posting for a "senior mobile developer." They wanted native iOS and Android experience, plus React on the web. AND they wanted experience with NoSQL databases, Elasticsearch-like platforms, and deployment of the whole shebang to AWS. Oh yeah and it was a 12 month contract, not full time.

The mix of competencies here is like three or four distinct people's jobs. But they don't want to actually hire one, let alone the three or four necessary to do the job right.

There are people who can do that and you would actually trust but you're paying 300k+ for them

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

that's even more dubious than the classic uses of the "protestant work ethic" as a concept, given that, for instance, germany and the scandinavian countries are all majority-protestant too

However, all the lovely hardcore protestants left for the new world as they were prosecuted as sects in the 1700's.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's really more of a Calvinist work ethic. Calling it "Protestant" is just an attempt to normalize it, "Judeo-Christian" even more so.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whatever it is, it sure is useful to capitalism, so it's spread quite far.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The Judeo-Calvinist work ethic.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

FamDav posted:

There are people who can do that and you would actually trust but you're paying 300k+ for them

And they're already happily employed

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

venutolo posted:

For what it is worth, I would not consider your age a liability. We've had a couple guys come through for interviews for entry/junior positions that were at least of similar age and experience and they were the best candidates we have seen for that level. We offered them jobs, but they were scooped up by somewhere else.

In my highly unscientific opinion, a 28 year old is generally going to have a better work ethic than some 22 year old. If you are graduating at 28, you've clearly demonstrated that this field/work is of interest to you, enough to go back to school and get another degree. If you also have a family, then you've really demonstrated to me an ability to manage lots of demands.

All other things being equal, I'd rather hire a 28 year old than a 22 year old. Plus I felt really bad when my intern this past summer had never heard of the video games I told him I used to play.

This is one man's opinion, obviously. So I'd suggest not worrying about your age and don't try to hide your previous degree.

I agree that age doesn't matter, I think you've taken it too far in the opposite direction. You can't assume anything about someone's work ethic by their age. That hard working 30 year old was almost definitely a hard worker at 20 as well.

The biggest frustration I find with devs is dogmatism and an inability to compromise for real world requirements and expectations. And I've seen that in 20 year olds and 40 year olds.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FamDav posted:

Instead companies would rather hire someone who's mediocre at best all all those things, and let them cost the business well over $300K worth in fuckups.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

kitten smoothie posted:

Instead companies would rather hire someone who's mediocre at best all all those things, and let them cost the business well over $300K worth in fuckups.

Every company does something that's penny-wise and pound-foolish. Some apparently advertise it right on their job boards, though :v:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I received an offer from a company.

In the employment agreement, it says that within a certain period, if they ask, I have to inform them of any New Employer I jump to.

Also, I think it basically says, they own anything I do whether it's related to the job or not. IANAL so I don't know for sure.

How standard is this? I'm thinking of telling them to amend some sections.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ither posted:

I received an offer from a company.

In the employment agreement, it says that within a certain period, if they ask, I have to inform them of any New Employer I jump to.

Also, I think it basically says, they own anything I do whether it's related to the job or not. IANAL so I don't know for sure.

How standard is this? I'm thinking of telling them to amend some sections.

1) Does it *prevent* you from being employed by someone else?

2) Do they own things you do on your own time that is not related to their industry?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

lifg posted:

1) Does it *prevent* you from being employed by someone else?

There is a non-complete clause in addition.

The Contract posted:

Employee expressly agrees that Employee will not (either directly or indirectly, by assisting or acting in concert with others) Compete with the Company during the Restricted Period within the Restricted Territory.

quote:

2) Do they own things you do on your own time that is not related to their industry?

It seems so:

The Contract posted:

Employee further agrees to and hereby grants the Company, as directed by the Company, a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, sublicensable and assignable license to make, have made, copy, modify, make derivative works of, use, publicly perform, display or otherwise distribute any copyrightable works Employee creates during Employee’s Employment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That'd be a no-go for me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I signed an agreement like this once, like ten years ago, and I wouldn't do it again. There weren't legal repercussions for me but the noncompete definitely was an intimidating factor when the job began to suck hard and I started looking for other places of employment.

IANAL but if I could do it over I would send it back with the noncompete clause crossed out altogether, and the IP assignment amended to be limited to intellectual property created during the ordinary course of employment (i.e. work done on company time and company equipment) or that otherwise directly relates to the company's business. The more narrow definition California has is pretty good.

If they would not accept those amendments I'd walk away, the market's too good to put up with that crap.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that Letter looks like it was Written by a Wannabe who thinks that Capitalizing Words gives them the Force of Law

i second the suggestion that you try california where this bullshit doesn't fly :smug:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that Letter looks like it was Written by a Wannabe who thinks that Capitalizing Words gives them the Force of Law

i second the suggestion that you try california where this bullshit doesn't fly :smug:

Eh, that's normal, because elsewhere those terms would be expressly defined so they need something to distinguish between "an employee in general" and "an employee specifically as it relates to the definition listed". It seems redundant but in legal poo poo the devil is always in the details.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

"Overly Broad Intellectual Property Clause" is that, and it us exactly what it sounds like.

Yes, they own anything you create. Typically, courts will not find in their favour as they generally say something like "you make retail software. This is a sculpture of a squid. They aren't competing with you. Maybe don't be a dick." so if you REALLY want this job, that's a risk you need to consider yourself. Despite that, I did a lot of research on this while job searching and the short answer is that if it's too broad, just find a new job. Like pretty much everyone else here, I am also not a lawyer, though.

To be fair, most companies have one of these to some degree so don't bail in EVERY case. I believe "anything you create while on the job is ours" to be fair, but the wording can be bad if you're salaried or remote(I.e when are you "on the clock").

The other common one is "anything you create that can directly compete with us", which I believe is also fair. Mostly because I work in an industry where I have access to a lot of info and data that would make it trivial to create very powerful alternative. Even if I create it on my own time, my own implementation wouldn't work well without my up to date info.

It really depends a lot on where you work and what you do in your free time. Work at Nintendo, and want to make platform games in your own time? Second one is not for you, but the first will work fine. Want to make games in your spare time, but work at a marketing firm? Both are probably fine. But always stay away from overly broad clauses that basically say they own you. If for no other reason than they're probably a lovely company.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Ither posted:

There is a non-complete clause in addition.

It seems so:

It never assigns them any right to actually access the work, so I guess if you do the work at home and keep it to yourself there'd be no problem. They can't copy what they don't have in the first place right?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Vincent Valentine posted:

Yes, they own anything you create. Typically, courts will not find in their favour as they generally say something like "you make retail software. This is a sculpture of a squid. They aren't competing with you. Maybe don't be a dick." so if you REALLY want this job, that's a risk you need to consider yourself. Despite that, I did a lot of research on this while job searching and the short answer is that if it's too broad, just find a new job. Like pretty much everyone else here, I am also not a lawyer, though.

There's a lot of not-lawyers in this thread, but one thing I've learned is don't broad statements about contract law without specifying what state you're talking about. From your assumption that the court will in any way be the employee's friend suggests you're talking about California or maybe Washington. There are states that would happily enforce an IP agreement that said the enterprise software company you work for owns your fan fiction.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Speaking of not being a lawyer, I recommend contacting a lawyer. "Look over this contract" is a standard lawyer task. They'll tell you the price up front and it won't be too much. I've done it twice and it was interesting an helpful to hear a professional opinion.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

That'd be a no-go for me.

I tend to assume that language that silly was written by Legal departments who want everything and face no repercussions for demanding such, but otherwise doesn't represent the attitude and behavior of the company or the people you'll actually be working for.

My path forward if I wanted that job would be to cross out the poo poo I'm not willing to agree to and then sign. If the company sees that and then demands that I sign the contract as originally stated, then I conclude that my first assumption was wrong and laugh my way back into the job hunt.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
The general consensus when asked about salary is to give the interviewer a range of two numbers, right?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why?

"Oh 80k to 100k? Cool, we were thinking 100k too!"

Edit: like, seriously head over to the negotiation thread in BFC

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 8, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
"Oh 110k to 120k? Cool, we were thinking 100k too."

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grump posted:

The general consensus when asked about salary is to give the interviewer a range of two numbers, right?

If you're not trolling, no this is the opposite of what you should do.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Ok geez relax it was a question

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grump posted:

Ok geez relax it was a question

Oh, I also thought you were trolling because thats like the exact opposite of everything thats been said on the subject ITT and I see you in this thread a lot...

Don't give them a number at all. (Yes that's often hard to do)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Grump posted:

The last couple of times anyone has asked me I just say "market rate" and usually its enough to get them off the topic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Dark Wind posted:

The last couple of times anyone has asked me I just say "market rate" and usually its enough to get them off the topic.

As I've found out, some people hear "market rate" and think "how am I gonna explain to the other engineers that they're being underpaid?".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At my last job, I helped interview a guy who had roughly the same amount of experience as I had and was interviewing for a position at the same level as I was. My boss made him an offer, but the guy turned it down. My boss, frustrated with the process, grumbled about the guy "scoffing at $125k" or something. I was making $85k at the time. I just stared at him until he realized how dumb it was for him to say that.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

CPColin posted:

At my last job, I helped interview a guy who had roughly the same amount of experience as I had and was interviewing for a position at the same level as I was. My boss made him an offer, but the guy turned it down. My boss, frustrated with the process, grumbled about the guy "scoffing at $125k" or something. I was making $85k at the time. I just stared at him until he realized how dumb it was for him to say that.

What happened next?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

huhu posted:

What happened next?

I lobbied for a title change and a raise and they gave me neither. Then I lobbied for a title change and they finally gave it to me after I wrote my own job description. Then I got laid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

CPColin posted:

I lobbied for a title change and a raise and they gave me neither. Then I lobbied for a title change and they finally gave it to me after I wrote my own job description. Then I got laid off.

:capitalism: