Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

So, what should the new first zeta recommendation be for new players and alts? zFinn? One of the reworked rebels?

zFinn, IBAT or Number crunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Trying to get back into the game, so I sent a request to the Goongan Grand Army. Also, is Qui Goon Jinn around anymore? Couldn't find it in the search. In game name is Man Called M

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

So just how good is number crunch in practical terms? Have people who zeta'd it noticed their team getting a lot beefier?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Canemacar posted:

So just how good is number crunch in practical terms? Have people who zeta'd it noticed their team getting a lot beefier?

Lemme crunch the numbers and get back to you

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Something Maulful goons, for tomorrow's Territory Battle, please deploy to whichever territory is farther away from 2 stars. If things are at zero stars, please hold off deploying, just do your fights and platoons instead and wait to deploy once we get that first star. Note that this policy might change if it looks like we're not gonna get either region to 2* without bypassing one.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The man called M posted:

Trying to get back into the game, so I sent a request to the Goongan Grand Army. Also, is Qui Goon Jinn around anymore? Couldn't find it in the search. In game name is Man Called M

QGJ is still around, GGA is not.

nfthree
Mar 5, 2007

The man called M posted:

Get in discord:

https://discord.gg/amuevCU

:getin:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Chilichimp posted:

zFinn is not a bad idea, just a long ways out. Is number crunch still advised if the alt only has a 5* R2? New players are unlikely to have CLS. Hell, I don't even have CLS on my main account.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

zFinn is not a bad idea, just a long ways out. Is number crunch still advised if the alt only has a 5* R2? New players are unlikely to have CLS. Hell, I don't even have CLS on my main account.

reminder, it takes a long loving time from unlocking ships to farming zetas, then about 45-60 days just getting 20 zeta together. It's entirely possible a new person would have CLS before they have enough zetas.

I'd still save those Zetas even if they didn't have CLS to zeta his IBAT and probably his leader ability. Double Zeta CLS + Number Crunch R2 is a good core. If you're following the guide, you'll also have Thrawn by this point as well.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

What's all this about Roccinate? It sounds like another guild, but I was told in the Discord that my joining there needs to be handled in the thread.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Chilichimp posted:

reminder, it takes a long loving time from unlocking ships to farming zetas, then about 45-60 days just getting 20 zeta together. It's entirely possible a new person would have CLS before they have enough zetas.

I'd still save those Zetas even if they didn't have CLS to zeta his IBAT and probably his leader ability. Double Zeta CLS + Number Crunch R2 is a good core. If you're following the guide, you'll also have Thrawn by this point as well.

I followed the guide and came up well short on both Thrawn and CLS, even on my main account. I see they're planning on bringing back Thrawn in a couple months or three. I'm trying to work on PS now so I can at least come in late for that one. I would like them to bring back the CLS event but doubt it'll be this year.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The man called M posted:

What's all this about Roccinate? It sounds like another guild, but I was told in the Discord that my joining there needs to be handled in the thread.

It's a goon-run guild that also has non-goons in it. Cactus is the man to get you in.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

I followed the guide and came up well short on both Thrawn and CLS, even on my main account. I see they're planning on bringing back Thrawn in a couple months or three. I'm trying to work on PS now so I can at least come in late for that one. I would like them to bring back the CLS event but doubt it'll be this year.

We have amended it recently. R2, Thrawn, and CLS turned everything upside down.

zFinn is probably the best raid zeta, hands down.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hockles posted:

It's a goon-run guild that also has non-goons in it. Cactus is the man to get you in.

And cactus doenst do 'cord. Just post your ally code he'll get you if he has room.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So what's Thrawns big strength? I only managed a five star, so I haven't looked at him much until now. Is it just using fracture on the enemy tank and occasionally trading tm with an ally?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Canemacar posted:

So what's Thrawns big strength? I only managed a five star, so I haven't looked at him much until now. Is it just using fracture on the enemy tank and occasionally trading tm with an ally?

"Just fracture".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

Fracture is amazing. He can also restore protection and grant TM

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Thrawn didn't seem that impressive to me at first look either, but he's actually very strong:

1. Basic attack does good damage. It also applies speed up, which seems less than useful, but on the target's next turn, speed up is replaced with ability block, and his basic is also stuns if the target has ability block.
2. Fracture is basically a super stun. The target loses all buffs, can't be buffed, and also can't gain turn meter. Thrawn also gets a counter while he's got someone fractured.
3. His other special lets him trade turn meters with an ally. it also recovers 40% protection for both the target and Thrawn. If thrawn is your fastest character, he essentially makes it so you can chose which of your characters you want to go first.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
That trading tm thing is subtly brutal since, because you can make thrawn go insanely fast, you can basically make ANY character insanely fast on the 1st turn.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
That explains why I see a lot of Thrawn / Dn combos

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Inimicul posted:

That explains why I see a lot of Thrawn / Dn combos

Thrawn/DN is particularly nasty because, for example, DN can increase enemy cooldowns, and Thrawn can hit them with his basic, applying ability block. Now they're locked out of acting for two rounds. In the interim, DN can reset his CD, and then increase cooldowns again. And onwards.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The other amazing trick with Thrawn's TM trade is that if you trade with a character who has near full TM, you end up reducing Thrawn's cooldowns by 2 since you take a turn, trade, then take another turn basically right after. Really useful to get his stun back up. You get that thing out like 3 or 4 times a match (if you need it).

He is pretty broken.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Davethulhu posted:

Something Maulful goons, for tomorrow's Territory Battle, please deploy to whichever territory is farther away from 2 stars. If things are at zero stars, please hold off deploying, just do your fights and platoons instead and wait to deploy once we get that first star. Note that this policy might change if it looks like we're not gonna get either region to 2* without bypassing one.

This worked ok today, so please continue doing it. Do your fights/platoons, but save your deploy until after we have 1* in both territories. If you must deploy, select the territory with the largest gap to the next star. You're free to fight/deploy in the space sector, since there's only one.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mad props to this dude.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have been neglecting mods, only farming a bit of 1 pip ones from the mod battles to get health set bonuses on my main dudes. I have been working on mod battles and challenges in the last few days and have cleared mod battle world 6 and all the mod challenges i was able to do (health and tenacity at 3* tier 3, defense and crit chance at tier 1, no other ones)

Should i spam tier 3 mod challenges for a few days and kit out my guys with the best 4 and 5 pip mods i get, ignoring set bonuses? How important are set bonuses? How important is it to use the "most useful stats" according to the mod avisor over at crouchingrancor?
It doesn't look like there are any generic "all your stuff is slightly better" type of stats in this game, they are all quite specialized in doing more crit damage, or landing more debuffs.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Ineptitude posted:

I have been neglecting mods, only farming a bit of 1 pip ones from the mod battles to get health set bonuses on my main dudes. I have been working on mod battles and challenges in the last few days and have cleared mod battle world 6 and all the mod challenges i was able to do (health and tenacity at 3* tier 3, defense and crit chance at tier 1, no other ones)

Should i spam tier 3 mod challenges for a few days and kit out my guys with the best 4 and 5 pip mods i get, ignoring set bonuses? How important are set bonuses? How important is it to use the "most useful stats" according to the mod avisor over at crouchingrancor?
It doesn't look like there are any generic "all your stuff is slightly better" type of stats in this game, they are all quite specialized in doing more crit damage, or landing more debuffs.

Mods are actually the thing that make or break the character, along with gear. Not stars, not levels, but mods and gear.
The sooner you start farming mods, the better it will be.

Farm only 5 pip mods, stick to health for the moment, until you unlock crit chance, crit damage, speed and offense. Defense mods are ok for tanks only, and they don't really add that much.

There are a few videos on youtube that explain mods thoroughly, what is a primary and a secondary stat and which ones are the best (speed is the best secondary, always)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaiApAwpno

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mister Blueberry posted:

Mods are actually the thing that make or break the character, along with gear. Not stars, not levels, but mods and gear.

Farm only 5 pip mods, stick to health for the moment, until you unlock crit chance, crit damage, speed and offense. Defense mods are ok for tanks only, and they don't really add that much.

There are a few videos on youtube that explain mods thoroughly, what is a primary and a secondary stat and which ones are the best (speed is the best secondary, always)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaiApAwpno

That said, do the top tier defense mod challenge at least once. It unlocks better mods in the shop.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hey folks, when you're deploying to a platoon or squadron, check and make sure that it's actually completable. If it has one of the new ewoks (for platoons) or one of the ultra rare ships (kylo shuttle, millennium falcon, tie reaper), don't waste your deploy, because partially completing one doesn't give any value.

Any goons awake when the new territories open up, please do a quick scan of the various platoons and call out the ones that can't be done.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Mister Blueberry posted:

Gotcha, thanks. So basically spam the Tier 3 health challenge until i get good mods? Ideally i'd want something with useful primary stats as well as an already speed secondary stat?

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Ineptitude posted:

Gotcha, thanks. So basically spam the Tier 3 health challenge until i get good mods? Ideally i'd want something with useful primary stats as well as an already speed secondary stat?

It goes like this:

Every mod slot has some fixed primaries.

Squares will always be +%offense
Rhombus Will Always be +%defense
Circle can be health or protection

Cross can be a lot of stuff: +%protection, %potency, %offense, %health and %tenacity
Arrow can be speed, protection, offense, critical avoidance. You always want speed on this one, on a 5 pip mod it's +30 speed. Can;t get a speed secondary with speed primary though.
Triangle can be offense, crit chance or crit damage. Maybe health as well, dunno.

Always get protection % instead of health % because the amount of protection you get is much greater than the HP.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Checking in again for open space. Open space in a guild. My ally code is: 227-925-822.

In discord and game as Sendric.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Something Maulful goons, it's important for this last set of territories to hold your fights for a while. Unlinke the other territories, the platoons and squadrons directly affect the territories that they're contained in on the last day, so your fights will be significantly harder if you try to do them right off the bat.

Also, because it's not surfaced very well, the platoons give you a special attack (it's a circular button on the left side of the playfield) that's pretty strong. It's easy to miss.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Have we had these special attacks the whole time? I can be pretty aloof.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

Have we had these special attacks the whole time? I can be pretty aloof.

since like P3, yeah.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It is going to be very hard to do much in this fleet phase. 6* light side capital ships are hard to get and we've been pushing Tarkin for the longest time. All I could do was deploy boats and call it a day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

It is going to be very hard to do much in this fleet phase. 6* light side capital ships are hard to get and we've been pushing Tarkin for the longest time. All I could do was deploy boats and call it a day.

Meanwhile I've got all cap ships and commanders maxxed because I'm a dipshit sperglord who's been playing this dumb game since december 2015.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chilichimp posted:

Meanwhile I've got all cap ships and commanders maxxed because I'm a dipshit sperglord

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chilichimp posted:

Meanwhile I've got all cap ships and commanders maxxed because I'm a dipshit sperglord who's been playing this dumb game since december 2015.

Not an empty quote.

:negative:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Chilichimp posted:

I had Mace near g11 when ships came out, its my secret shame. Just got Ackbar's ship to 6*

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010