Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm fuckin' excited for Twin Peaks tonight y'all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't get to watch it until tomorrow night. The next day is gonna be torture -__-

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

multijoe posted:

I don't get to watch it until tomorrow night. The next day is gonna be torture -__-
Once a day, your should give yourself a present.

Tonight that present should be the finale of Twin Peaks Season 3.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*Look at the 1300 new posts in the Twin Peaks thread tomorrow morning*

I wonder what they're talking about

Raxivace posted:

Once a day, every day give yourself a present.

Tonight that present should be the finale of Twin Peaks Season 3.

UK viewing times, plus have to wait for my viewing buddy to get round later in the evening. The things we do for our friends.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Goons, I've loved watching this season with you fools, and I can't wait to discuss the finale with y'all after work tonight. These months blew past way too quickly, and for me this season has been everything I wanted and then some.

I, for one, can't wait for the climax where Audrey fights a giant CGI samurai BOB while wearing a Japanese schoolgirl uniform.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

multijoe posted:

Me either. Have to be super vigilant tomorrow about avoiding spoilers. I'm not even touching this forum until I watch it in case the thread gets a name change.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm not gonna lie: I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself after Twin Peaks ends.

...just kidding, I'm gonna marathon all three seasons

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
true brit TP fans will have taken tomorrow off work and are staying up til 3/4am to watch the finale

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

true brit TP fans will have taken tomorrow off work and are staying up til 3/4am to watch the finale
This reminds me of something I've been curious about...

I'd love to know what non-Americans think about Twin Peaks' depiction of America, especially compared to other depictions of America in media you've seen.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Looked though the past 5 pages and couldn't see this, interesting in hindsight

smdh at the 'suicide' options though :confuoot:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

eleven extra elephants posted:

Oh wow, it's pretty telling that Leland is so low.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Oh wow, it's pretty telling that Leland is so low.

Why

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Jacoby makes sense, this was after the first few aired and the story really uses him as a red herring around then

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Because it was 1990 and that stuff wasn't commonplace in popular media.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The poll implies that most people couldn't conceive of the notion of a father killing his daughter.

More people thought Laura was somehow still alive, despite her corpse being examined and buried in these first few episodes.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

America in the early 90s was an interesting place. I can remember countless news op-ed pieces concerned about what the effect the simpsons would have an effect on children because bart said "drat" in an episode. I wish I was kidding. This is a society that wasn't too far removed from the satanic panic (which actually got real innocent people killed and/or thrown in prison for crimes they did not commit) and blaming Judas Priest for teengagers trying to kill themselves.

This was a society that needed to warn people that lyrics on albums were "explicit." The poll results are telling because they couldn't fathom the idea of a t.v. show in which a father ritualistically raped his own daughter and ultimately killed her.

G-III fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought it was Jacoby too on my first viewing last year.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's crazy cause that 6% might be right

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

This reminds me of something I've been curious about...

I'd love to know what non-Americans think about Twin Peaks' depiction of America, especially compared to other depictions of America in media you've seen.

I didn't know you had so many portals to hell, but in retrospect it explains alot about your country

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

favourite part of the marathon so far was noticing Chantal affectionatly passing a pack of fritos to Mr. C at the farm

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Apparently the guy with the green glove is standing in the background at the bar of some of these early episodes. I haven't checked myself but if so that's a cool detail.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

its on at 1am this time since there's no other garbage tits and dragons show to air first this week.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 3, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

multijoe posted:

I didn't know you had so many portals to hell, but in retrospect it explains alot about your country

Someone hasn't seen Buffy, a documentary about California having a hell portal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raxivace posted:

Apparently the guy with the green glove is standing in the background at the bar of some of these early episodes. I haven't checked myself but if so that's a cool detail.

Yeah, he enters the bar with James in the 'James was always cool' scene.

Excited to rewatch the season after tonight.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Raxivace posted:

He even has dialogue in ep 2, he tells James that the Roadhouse is the dog's bollocks.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

multijoe posted:

The problem with america is that it's a stolen country with no real mysticism or mythology of its own. You can count the # of entertainment properties which even attempts to address the fact that the land and its history is full of native mysticism and spirituality (like literally Twin Peaks, Poltergiest I+II, Wolfen, and the goddamn Manitou). It's a sad fact that most americans have no knowledge of any history about the place they live in at any time period prior to when white people showed up.

Granted, Twin Peaks just kinda mentions that all these lodge spirits and portals to other places have some roots to native mysticism via cave paintings and the character of Hawk but clearly they're inventions of frost/lynch's imagination. However there's a definite theme to the show that there's more to this land that anyone who currently occupies it ever cares to learn about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not rewatching until the Blu Ray 🙅🏻🙅🏻‍♂️
Gonna need some sweet 1080p high bitrate files :allears:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
twin peaks is the real america in my eyes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

G-III posted:

America in the early 90s was an interesting place. I can remember countless news op-ed pieces concerned about what the effect the simpsons would have an effect on children because bart said "drat" in an episode. I wish I was kidding. This is a society that wasn't too far removed from the satanic panic (which actually got real innocent people killed and/or thrown in prison for crimes they did not commit) and blaming Judas Priest for teengagers trying to kill themselves.

This was a society that needed to warn people that lyrics on albums were "explicit." The poll results are telling because they couldn't fathom the idea of a t.v. show in which a father ritualistically raped his own daughter and ultimately killed her.

To be fair, the show doesn't actually start implying it was Leland or really even dropping hints until Maddy arrives or shortly before. Obviously people wouldn't suspect him if there's no reason to compared to the other characters higher up on that list- what the poll really shows is that people are buying into the red herrings.

edit: And there's a lot that's pretty obvious in hindsight from even the first couple episodes, but the reason Bob appearing in Leland's reflection is so surprising is because you don't have much reason to think he did it until just beforehand. Jacoby being at the tippy top is pretty drat funny though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 3, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

handsome only face posted:

favourite part of the marathon so far was noticing Chantal affectionatly passing a pack of fritos to Mr. C at the farm

Jennifer Jason Leigh killed (no pun intended) every scene she was in, and I was actually sad to see her go so suddenly.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Live by the chip, die by the chip

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

eleven extra elephants posted:

Love the 1% that apparently think Dale Cooper killed her. How would that have worked?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Section 9 posted:

Love the 1% that apparently think Dale Cooper killed her. How would that have worked?

I don't know but those people are loving monsters

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section 9 posted:

I am really enjoying thinking about what those people must've been picturing: Cooper partaking in the end of Fire Walk With Me in the place of Leland, and then purposefully leaving town only to come back a couple days later and reintroduce himself to all these people that have magically forgotten about him.

"Diane, I'm heading into Twin Peaks, again-- Oh wait, crap, I mean for the first time"

edit: For him to have done it, he would have had to drive back and forth over state lines and/or get on a plane like three or four times over the span of a couple days. :allears:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

time to sleep for 5 and half hours, gonna watch this live before work and before the nukes fly. lets rock.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Section 9 posted:

I have encountered a few instances of people coming to the show new thinking that Coop isn't a real FBI agent. At least in the first few episodes. If you thought he was a fake it becomes a lot more plausible. Not totally plausible but I could see getting there while trying to out-think the show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The people that thought Cooper did it clearly aren't familiar with Knox's 7th Commandment. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I have encountered a few instances of people coming to the show new thinking that Coop isn't a real FBI agent. At least in the first few episodes. If you thought he was a fake it becomes a lot more plausible. Not totally plausible but I could see getting there while trying to out-think the show.

Weird that it took 27 years before the show would outright disprove that theory