Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say wait till you know what you're doing a bit more before throwing money at anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

powderific posted:

Why are you shooting at 1/125 if you're shooting 24p? I'd have the camera at 1/50 or 1/48 if you've got it. That'll help a lot on the exposure end of things.
Not only will it help with the exposure but with the look too. If you have the exposure faster than double the frame-rate there's insufficient motion blur so motion will look choppy.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Choicecut posted:

I might add something like this here soon. Sounds like I can never have too much light for video.

I have no idea what I am doing pretty much. I'll give 1/50 a try next time. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah you basically want to double the frame rate for the proper shutter speed, otherwise stuff can look super jerky at higher shutter speeds. There's a cool video about it on YT .. I just cant remember what it is.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

This is the video that opened my eyes to what the A7S could do, at 40000 - 51000 ISO.

Of course the gimbal and drone are big factors in how cool of a tech demo this video is, but the see-in-the-dark ability of the camera makes for some interesting possibilities.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah you basically want to double the frame rate for the proper shutter speed, otherwise stuff can look super jerky at higher shutter speeds. There's a cool video about it on YT .. I just cant remember what it is.

Basically the deal is that in actual motion picture cameras, instead of a curtain or leaf that opened for a specified time, the shutter was an offset disk with a pie slice cutout that rotated at an RPM equal to your frame rate, and the cutout amount, measured in degrees, was referred to a shutter angle. The most common shutter angle was 180 degrees, or a half moon, which meant that a film frame was exposed to light for about half the time it was in the gate, or in stills terms, had an effective shutter speed of half the frame rate. So if you were shooting at 24FPS at 180 degrees then you effectively had a shutter speed of 1/48, 30FPS was 1/60, etc.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Unless of course you want that intense Saving Private Ryan look that everyone got carried away with for a while*, in which case a narrow shutter angle (fast shutter speed) can be useful.

*It was actually cool in Private Ryan, but it later showed up in a lot of less thoughtful implementations as a shortcut.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 30, 2017

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
Just to update the thread, I ended up buying an Olympus OM-D E-M10 and a Panasonic 12-32. My wife wanted to spend a little less than Fuji/more modern setups would cost, and realistically it seemed like this should do the trick (and it was in stock at KEH, who are like 20 minutes from my house in light traffic).

So far the setup seems great! There's a bit of a learning curve coming from Nikon, especially figuring out how to set ISO, but I've taken some good snaps around the house already. And it's super lightweight/large pocketable, which was a big selling point for me.

I'll (hopefully) update with some more good photos from the trip!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Panasonic 20/1.7 is a good complement to that body and gave me a significant boost in image quality compared to the kit zoom. Besides some adapted telephotos that I use for birds & wildlife, it's the lens that lives on my E-M10.

If I could do it over again, I'd maybe splurge on the Oly 17/1.8; one thing that the Panasonic​ lens can't do is C-AF on the Olympus, but the 20 is just tight and fast enough that it's usable for environmental portraits with a touch of out-of-focus background effect.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
My GX 80 finally arrived :woop:.

First impressions:
- The build quality is amazing. It feels really solid and it fits better in my hand than my E-M 10
- The menus are garbage. I have no idea how anyone can say that they are better than Oly menus.
- video looks great
- stills look great

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah I'm still using that gf3 at work and the photos are excellent but Fuji menus and controls have ruined me, everytime I need to change something it's a pain in the rear end.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The controls are actually pretty good. The function buttons are in a good place and the dials are great. The back dial even acts as a button so you can use the same dial for two functions!

Just the menus... Ugh.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Popelmon posted:

The controls are actually pretty good. The function buttons are in a good place and the dials are great. The back dial even acts as a button so you can use the same dial for two functions!

Just the menus... Ugh.

Some of the Panasonic menu choices make me actively angry:

Why is it one of the easiest settings is the image quality and one of the hardest is the ISO? What was going through their minds when they decided what people would want to access more?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

Some of the Panasonic menu choices make me actively angry:

Why is it one of the easiest settings is the image quality and one of the hardest is the ISO? What was going through their minds when they decided what people would want to access more?

I mean, there's a button right there:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Sorry, I was talking about my GF5 for this gripe:

(Okay, you can add it as a button in the 'quick menu', but why do the self-timer, white balance and the focus mode get dedicated buttons and ISO does not?)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

(Okay, you can add it as a button in the 'quick menu', but why do the self-timer, white balance and the focus mode get dedicated buttons and ISO does not?)

Ah, yeah I see. Exp is adjusted with the thumbwheel on the GX85/80, so they can put the ISO on the back. I think Panasonic has gone through a lot of UI (both hard keys and menus) iterations with each camera body they put out, and by now it has mostly coalesced into something that works pretty ok. Though it's annoying they removed the dedicated AF/MF button going from the GX7 to the GX85.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

spog posted:

because everyone uses cameras differently i guess. all the things you mention are really useful to have a button for. ISO was traditionally static too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Olympus OM-D E-M10 III (jesus the alphabet soup is getting ridiculous) is announced, but without microphone port. https://www.dpreview.com/news/0860611106/olympus-om-d-e-m10-iii-offers-4k-video-bigger-dials

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ola posted:

Olympus OM-D E-M10 III (jesus the alphabet soup is getting ridiculous) is announced, but without microphone port. https://www.dpreview.com/news/0860611106/olympus-om-d-e-m10-iii-offers-4k-video-bigger-dials

I do not understand selling a premium camera capable of high quality video but without a microphone port in TYOOL 2017.

See also: GX85

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Popelmon posted:

Just the menus... Ugh.
I was curious about the praise for Panasonic menus (vs Olympus ones) cause I had the same feeling when I got mine, glad I'm not the only one that thinks they're horrible. Are the Olympus ones really all that much worse?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I honestly like the oly super control pannel. I do not like changing shooting modes in the pana nor do I like being unable to set shooting modes to c1 c2 c3

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I do not understand selling a premium camera capable of high quality video but without a microphone port in TYOOL 2017.

the EM10 is still basically the budget version of the 3 models

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DJExile posted:

the EM10 is still basically the budget version of the 3 models

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Its absolutely disgusting how good the X100F is in low light, I shouldn't be able to shoot color at 10000 iso

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its absolutely disgusting how good the X100F is in low light, I shouldn't be able to shoot color at 10000 iso

Speaking of, I'm finally thinking of upgrading my x100 original. I have the leather case that it lives in, and the TCLx100 which I use about 30% of the time.

My main complaints:
1. Not quite enough resolution, especially after trips and wanting to make canvas wall prints
2. While it was jaw dropping high ISO and dynamic range back at launch, camera tech has moved on and I'm jealous of higher dynamic range and ISO performance
3. Biggie, the AF is balls slow, lacks any kind of tracking feature, and I now have a toddler

I was looking at the Panasonic lx100 (or whatever number the micro 4/3 sensor one is) but it's *only* 12 mp which the x100 already is. I was also looking at bigger cameras but the size of the x100 was my main selling point after downgrading from a DSLR, and I was also looking at the Sony Rx1 III but 3k USD plus is too steep for my wallet AND it is much deeper than the x100 and sounds like the AF isn't that great.

X100F seems to answer all my problems, and I can continue using the leather case and teleconverter I already own (though not the batteries, but I'm ok if it means longer battery life)

Anyone else made the jump from x100 original to F, or who owns both and would be willing to do a little dynamic range and/or high ISO direct comparison between the two?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
IIRC they redesigned the teleconverters and the 100/100S/100T share the same but the 100F has a new version.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shooting high ISO on current gen Fujis is great. The results are better than what I got at 3200 back when I was using the Sony NEX 5n

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Rontalvos posted:

IIRC they redesigned the teleconverters and the 100/100S/100T share the same but the 100F has a new version.

The only difference is the v2 converters have a magnet in them to tell the camera that you mounted it so it will automatically apply the correct setting. You can still use the v1 converters you just have to manually tell the camera it's mounted, like a peasant.

Honestly there's no reason to do a heads up between the original x100 and the f, the f is better in every single way. In terms of performance the f is on par with the xpro/xt2 for nearly everything. It's camera I use as my second body on weddings with full confidence.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
My dog knocked over my XT1 on the tripod earlier today. My JB designs grip broke in half, scuffed up my 16-55, and the lcd was pulled out so it broke one the arm extensions. Everything still works fine except for the LCD flipping out. I got it stuffed back in so its flush for now. I'm taking this opportunity to get a new camera and spend more money. Since I'm getting into more video, should I consider moving into a different platform rather than stay with Fuji? I would upgrade to the XT2 if I stay obviously (may consider the XT20).

Also would anyone be interested in purchasing this body at a discount? I could record video with my phone to show it working and the damage if someone was interested.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Xt2 has 4k with log output, which is extremely good.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

8th-snype posted:

The only difference is the v2 converters have a magnet in them to tell the camera that you mounted it so it will automatically apply the correct setting. You can still use the v1 converters you just have to manually tell the camera it's mounted, like a peasant.

Honestly there's no reason to do a heads up between the original x100 and the f, the f is better in every single way. In terms of performance the f is on par with the xpro/xt2 for nearly everything. It's camera I use as my second body on weddings with full confidence.

Was aware of the teleconverter upgrade and that it's possible to use V1 on the x100F.

And aware the performance is better, I'm just curious "how better" before I pull the trigger

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Choicecut posted:

My dog knocked over my XT1 on the tripod earlier today. My JB designs grip broke in half, scuffed up my 16-55, and the lcd was pulled out so it broke one the arm extensions. Everything still works fine except for the LCD flipping out. I got it stuffed back in so its flush for now. I'm taking this opportunity to get a new camera and spend more money. Since I'm getting into more video, should I consider moving into a different platform rather than stay with Fuji? I would upgrade to the XT2 if I stay obviously (may consider the XT20).

Also would anyone be interested in purchasing this body at a discount? I could record video with my phone to show it working and the damage if someone was interested.

Sorry to hear about your camera. :(

I might be interested if no one else is, the damage isn't too crazy, and the price makes sense. I have a newly purchased XT-20 and would love for an excuse to buy more lenses while also having a second camera that can use said lenses so if my wife and I are walking around we can both be taking pictures.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

poopinmymouth posted:

I'm just curious "how better" before I pull the trigger

Life changingly better. The OG x100 was the slowest and worst performing camera of it's generation, the first time I used an xtrans 3 camera on a gig I immediately sold my XT1 because the focus speed and accuracy is that much better. There isn't a huge DR jump but the ISO 6400 and 12800 are extremely usable now. Frankly the Acros in camera film sim is worth the price of admission for me, it does dynamic grain so it looks more natural but only in camera you can't get the full effect in LR.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah the camera itself was slow, but I definitely preferred the image quality from the original to the first Xtrans variation, I think the S? The T looked to be on par IQ wise, and now the F seems noticeably better.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Xt2 has 4k with log output, which is extremely good.

Right on. I just read up on log output and color grading. Looks like good stuff.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry to hear about your camera. :(

I might be interested if no one else is, the damage isn't too crazy, and the price makes sense. I have a newly purchased XT-20 and would love for an excuse to buy more lenses while also having a second camera that can use said lenses so if my wife and I are walking around we can both be taking pictures.

Yeah it sucks. I felt like crying when it happened! The damage doesn't seem terrible. The only real issue I see is with the rear LCD extension arms. I was able to bend them back to semi straight so it still flips out, but its not quite as smooth now, and one of the extension arm screws (maybe a pop rivet) is gone. The 16-55 took a scuff on the bayonet ring and my cheap Comica CVM-V30 Shotgun mic that I just got is roached. I should probably invest in a better tripod after this episode. I currently have a cheap Dolica and am wondering if a more stable one would have stopped my dog from knocking it over.

I have a real hard time making decisions any more, so I'm researching things before I make a purchase. I will let you know when I do to see if you are still interested in the XT1. Right now I'm on the fence between the XT2, XT20 and switching platforms to the Sony A7R2.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Choicecut posted:

I have a real hard time making decisions any more, so I'm researching things before I make a purchase. I will let you know when I do to see if you are still interested in the XT1. Right now I'm on the fence between the XT2, XT20 and switching platforms to the Sony A7R2.

No worries, I know the feeling! I am new to this whole photography thing, but the thread talked me into an XT-20 with the 18-55 lens and I couldn't be happier. Plus, if you already have a bunch of X mount lenses. Although if you said you're doing more video, then maybe the switch to Sony is worth it. Sorry, like I said I'm new and rambling.

But I feel for you! Was on a hike for the solar eclipse and a friend had her Sony a6000 fall as we were walking. Was on one of those straps that screwed into the tripod mount and it had unscrewed itself while we were walking. I was amazed when she was able to pick it back up and it still took pictures. Crazy. I imagine if it was a DSLR you'd have to get all sorts of things adjusted, if you were lucky enough that it didn't break completely.

Anyways, good luck with your decision and just PM me if you still feel like selling the XT1.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo PIMM's back :toot:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo PIMM's back :toot:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't noticed.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Ill take seconds on that X-T1 if you sell it soon. I'm tired of missing wildlife shots with my X-Pro1 and 100-400.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Choicecut posted:

I should probably invest in a better tripod after this episode. I currently have a cheap Dolica and am wondering if a more stable one would have stopped my dog from knocking it over.
I'm all for quality tripods, but top-heavy is top-heavy -- often more so with expensive tripods because the heads get pretty beefy. Sturdiness of the legs might not have changed whether your setup went toppling over when knocked, especially if it had nothing to do with the legs buckling or the fasteners giving up. Usually the best thing you can do is make sure that the center column is appropriately weighed down with a camera bag or something. Now if your tripod doesn't have a way to hang stuff from a center column, then yeah I'd consider replacing it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If your dog isn't big enough to knock over any size tripod then it's basically a cat.