Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got one from The War Store. They're a big retailer, but they only got about a dozen in, and they told me I was one of a couple of people who already called to reserve one.

It's two 22-card decks, and they look fun to play against each other. There's a lot of character-specific bonuses on cards, so it'll really resonate with players that they're playing their favorite characters instead of just another game with numbers. Kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The new starter set seems to have been designed to encourage people to buy two - none of the included exclusive characters are elite and there are quite a few other exclusive single dice.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice of them to do that byl the way

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I expect nothing less from ffg.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Because gently caress you, that's why. I still bought one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought two because im a idiot and bad with money and even though I want to get rid of my awakenings cards i still got this :(

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Empress Brosephine posted:

I bought two because im a idiot and bad with money and even though I want to get rid of my awakenings cards i still got this :(

I bought it because I've been using the original starters to suck people into this awful hobby and I want to tear those apart for my own decks.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah I bought two at the target up the street because gently caress it, I want ePhasma and playsets of a few other things in there. Also I was in a hurry and couldn't drive to my lgs.

Also hoping they'll make for better starter decks than the original starters on the off chance I can actually convince any of my friends to get into another ccg.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So this happened today. Took significant card luck and a decent bit of dice luck too. Won on turn 3 having killed 2x TIE Pilots and 2x FO Stormtroopers, plus another TIE Pilot after an Endless Ranks. All this was in play, although the 2nd U-Wing would have bounced to my hand at the end of the round. Was good for 31 damage all told that round.

Can anyone figure out how I got it all played? Never fear though, this is far from typical. The very next game I lost Hera and Maz by turn 3 :( Probably my favorite of the decks we've been using at NOVA Open, it just plays so different.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I believe you can immediately flip them for 50 dollars on ebay.

They'll be legal for Canadian Nationals but not available in Canada! :lol: FFG

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

I believe you can immediately flip them for 50 dollars on ebay.

They'll be legal for Canadian Nationals but not available in Canada! :lol: FFG

Nah, they're still $30 or less on eBay (some went for $10-15 BIN :shrug:) A couple went for $50 on eBay on Friday, and I'm guessing that people panicked because their LGSes only got a couple of copies in and they couldn't get to a Target, so they assumed it'd be like every other FFG release and be unavailable if they didn't act right then. Target has a bunch in stock, but I'm guessing they don't ship to Canada or you wouldn't be posting that.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

pbpancho posted:

So this happened today. Took significant card luck and a decent bit of dice luck too. Won on turn 3 having killed 2x TIE Pilots and 2x FO Stormtroopers, plus another TIE Pilot after an Endless Ranks. All this was in play, although the 2nd U-Wing would have bounced to my hand at the end of the round. Was good for 31 damage all told that round.

Can anyone figure out how I got it all played? Never fear though, this is far from typical. The very next game I lost Hera and Maz by turn 3 :( Probably my favorite of the decks we've been using at NOVA Open, it just plays so different.

I haven't sat down and done the math, but I'm assuming quad jumpers were involved. Maybe our only hope as well, or I think I saw a new card at some point but I don't remember what it was. Either way it had to involve some lucky draws.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Yeah plenty of luck, and two quadjumpers with Hera for a 6 resource savings. Plus hitting with Rally Aid all three turns.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
played my first epalp, wow what a deck. I know its probably all old to you guys but that constant base 4 damage per turn is KILLER.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I have been trying to avoid this game because I'm bad at controlling myself when buying boosters but I decided to grab the 2 player set for me and my wife to play. Should I just buy some boosters or the other starter sets to compliment it? I know next to nothing about this game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you can wait two weeks for the new line to come out (Empire at War I think its called) you should just buy some boosters of that or a whole box. You can buy Awakenings and Spirit of Redemption now, but they're going to be phased out soon. Or sometime.

Your best bet would be to buy another one of those 2 player sets so you can make elite (2 die) characters, and make full decks.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

If you can wait two weeks for the new line to come out (Empire at War I think its called) you should just buy some boosters of that or a whole box. You can buy Awakenings and Spirit of Redemption now, but they're going to be phased out soon. Or sometime.

Your best bet would be to buy another one of those 2 player sets so you can make elite (2 die) characters, and make full decks.

Were just planning on playing casually against one another so I'm guessing I'm not missing much by ignoring the first two waves?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah you'd miss them. It's tough though, the boosters are super random. Maybe buy a box and split it between you two, but I would just wait EaW out. I dunno I'm new to this too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

Were just planning on playing casually against one another so I'm guessing I'm not missing much by ignoring the first two waves?
If your playing casually don't stress, just buy whatever and have fun

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Keep in mind nobody has any idea what the rotation is going to be like right now. As far as product availability goes, it seems to depend on your area. I can get a ton of Awakenings right now, but SoR isn't quite as plentiful.

My recommendation would be to wait for EaW and maybe buy a box. Poke around at swdestinydb.com and see what kind of deck(s) you might want to build and price them out from there. You can get the vast majority of common/uncommons/rares for dirt cheap. There are a few money rares, such as vibroknife, and legendaries range from a couple of bucks to 50+.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still have yet (3 months) to see a single SoR booster in the wild.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
It looks like the dice are different for the starters vs the 2 player game i.e. Kylo Ren. I'm wondering if its not allowed to combine them or if it's cosmetic.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not allowed. But if you're just doing for fun then who cares, but I'm not sure if it's the same moves or not.

Do you have Tabletop Simulator?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

It looks like the dice are different for the starters vs the 2 player game i.e. Kylo Ren. I'm wondering if its not allowed to combine them or if it's cosmetic.

It's a different version of Kylo, so effectively a separate character, just you can't play more than one of any Kylo in a game.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Does anyone know if it's possible to get those two player mats ffg uses at demos? The one for spots for all the cards? I worked gencon demoing destiny and a million people asked if they could buy them. I thought it would be pointless since they only handled two characters a piece, but now that we're getting ready to do a learn to play event at our FLGS I realize having a couple would be super helpful.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

siggy2021 posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get those two player mats ffg uses at demos? The one for spots for all the cards? I worked gencon demoing destiny and a million people asked if they could buy them. I thought it would be pointless since they only handled two characters a piece, but now that we're getting ready to do a learn to play event at our FLGS I realize having a couple would be super helpful.

No, there's currently no plans to make those a product.

Source: I'm the guy that hired you at GenCon. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

pbpancho posted:

Two player mats for Thrones (and another one, was it Netrunner?) got made last year. Did they not sell well?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Merauder posted:

Two player mats for Thrones (and another one, was it Netrunner?) got made last year. Did they not sell well?

There is a 2-player mat for Destiny too. He's asking about the larger ones we made with spots for the starter characters and 3 upgrades each. They've only been at stuff like GenCon, PAXes, NOVA Open, etc.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I believe Inked and the other custom playmat sites have options for multiple sizes - you could probably get one made that way if you just want a few for the LGS. You'd have to do the graphic design yourself, of course.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

pbpancho posted:

That's what I was afraid of and I figured that out a little while ago after putting two and two together :)

If I come back next year, and I hope to, I'll resist the urge to shout SA memes at you.

Ultiville posted:

I believe Inked and the other custom playmat sites have options for multiple sizes - you could probably get one made that way if you just want a few for the LGS. You'd have to do the graphic design yourself, of course.

Yeah, that is far too much work though. :effort:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Nah, they're still $30 or less on eBay (some went for $10-15 BIN :shrug:) A couple went for $50 on eBay on Friday, and I'm guessing that people panicked because their LGSes only got a couple of copies in and they couldn't get to a Target, so they assumed it'd be like every other FFG release and be unavailable if they didn't act right then. Target has a bunch in stock, but I'm guessing they don't ship to Canada or you wouldn't be posting that.

Yeah, my friend and I who share cards got 2 because another friend was at PAX thankfully. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out to nationals though, the cost to travel there plus having to miss work because it's scheduled on a Friday afternooon makes it pretty unrealistic for me to go.

Also the prize support is real bad.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So whose getting EaW tonight?

Also still looking for TTS buddies if anyone's down.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Don't think my lgs is selling until tomorrow, so... I will then.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Picking up tow boxes of EAW tomorrow! I'm really hoping to pull Thrawn. And I think Sabine looks like a fun character, though not sure how competitive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff I'm excited to try even if it doesn't really pan out. I guess my lgs still has a 1 box per person limit at the moment, so my gf and I are gonna go pick one up each in the morning and I'll probably try to get another tomorrow night.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
One of the local stores that I pre-ordered from is doing a midnight release and giving a huge box discount on 3+ boxes, but there is no way in hell I'm staying there until midnight or later then driving 40 minutes home and coming to work the next day.

Another store that I like better is doing 79.99 boxes tomorrow all day. I don't want to cancel my pre-order, but I also would love to save a bunch of money.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hauki posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff I'm excited to try even if it doesn't really pan out. I guess my lgs still has a 1 box per person limit at the moment, so my gf and I are gonna go pick one up each in the morning and I'll probably try to get another tomorrow night.

Yeah, my LGS has no such limit. They got a literal pallet of it, 20 cases I think? 6 boxes per case.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just bought a box of Awakenings yesterday. Is there any really rares cards I should look for?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vader, Luke and Lukes Loghtsaber , anything in this list http://www.thechancecube.com/card-price-watch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, my LGS has no such limit. They got a literal pallet of it, 20 cases I think? 6 boxes per case.

Smart store