Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BadLlama posted:

It it takes 100 units to complete Y and you have 150 units then god drat lets no do X because digirat.

Welcome to project management. Y goes 50% overbudget all the time and 50% of X annoys everyone who did or did not want X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Assuming the add new characters or simply replace the old crew. Are there any iconic classes you guys think should be in the sequel? Aside from a Slayer class, I'm not too knowledgeable on warhams, does any other race/profession have a similar relationship like the witch Hunter and bright wizard do?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

There's a multitude of other schools of magic they could take from that are cool as hell, but in general the antagonist for all of the human practitioners would still be a witch hunter, because when wizards and all that want to take a stroll outside the colleges of magic in altdorf, unless you're a real trustworthy and proven individual who gets to live elsewhere in the city, it's gonna be with a witch hunter chaperone who's primed to take your rear end down if you start something or try to bolt.

Outside of that though high elves could be present in a few ways, you could have a swordmaster swinging around big ole greatswords and more precise edges, their wizards aren't relegated to just one of the colors of the winds of magic either, the great ones among them can pull all of em out of their rear end as they please. For dwarves slayers as mentioned would be cool, an engineer with a heavier focus on ranged weaponry and maybe buildable bits could work. Kerillian kind of ran a red line through all the things wood elves are generally good for, dual wielding tricky fighters, expert archers, skilled warriors swinging glaives around. In the realm of more normal dudes, you could have a priest of Ulric or someone like that from one of the less Sigmar crazy states in or around the empire, get a tilean or estalian knight of the blazing sun or someone from kislev to come kick some rear end.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Co-op player vs AI has a set of design goals that are highly orthogonal to PvP. While it would theoretically be workable, it'd really, really need to be designed for it from the ground up for most systems. Enemies designed to function under the control of AI will either be impossible to use or much too easy to abuse when controlled by human hands. Or absolutely miserable.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sazabi posted:

Assuming the add new characters or simply replace the old crew. Are there any iconic classes you guys think should be in the sequel? Aside from a Slayer class, I'm not too knowledgeable on warhams, does any other race/profession have a similar relationship like the witch Hunter and bright wizard do?

Some characters I've suggested are:

A Bretonnian grail pilgrim lugging the dead body of a grail knight back to Bretonnia. A crazy peasant lugging around the magical corpse of a superhuman knight. Instead of hats he could equip different reliquaries. They could use a lot of improvised weapons in addition to conventional ones.

A halfling vampire hunter. They have a lot of 'em in The Moot and it'd be fun to have a character shorter than Bardin. They could use improvised cooking utensils and vampire hunting gear.

A high elf shadow warrior of Nargarythe. They try to out dark elf the dark elves, including going to Naggaroth to murder dark elves and kidnap their children to raise as shadow warriors. They could use high elf and dark elf weapons.

A hobgoblin mercenary. Unlike other greenskins they often work for hire for other races. Many of them are slaves of the chaos dwarfs, so seeing the interactions between Bardin and the hobgoblin would be fun. Hobgoblins are so treacherous and cowardly that they have evolved bony humps to make sure that literal back stabbings are minor inconveniences. For weapons they could use all sorts of knives and swords, many of them poisoned. They can also use blackpowder weapons.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sazabi posted:

what about a cat

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Managed to convince my friends to give Nightmare difficulty a try in this. We only play a few times a month so we're not hyper-competent like some of the others in this thread, so I was expecting a rough time. But we eked out a victory on Black Powder on our second run, after getting used to the increased damage and friendly fire (broke my habit of wandering in front of the Bright Wizard fast!), and I haven't been so amped up by co-op in ages.

Game's real good. Looking forward to the sequel.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I've noticed that storm vermin patrols seem to like spawning in on top of players for some reason. I only started running into this after the last major patch or patches (roughly coincides with the new DLC). Is this related or has this been an issue longer than this? It only seems to happen to me on cata games and it's only recently been happening. Kind of weird.

Also, for new classes, there are at least a handful of choices they could make that would be complimentary additions to the game. I still sort of hope, though, that they keep the old characters rather than replace them outright with new people. It would be fun to see how the original cast interacts with new arrivals.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Fire Barrel posted:

I've noticed that storm vermin patrols seem to like spawning in on top of players for some reason. I only started running into this after the last major patch or patches (roughly coincides with the new DLC). Is this related or has this been an issue longer than this? It only seems to happen to me on cata games and it's only recently been happening. Kind of weird.

Also, for new classes, there are at least a handful of choices they could make that would be complimentary additions to the game. I still sort of hope, though, that they keep the old characters rather than replace them outright with new people. It would be fun to see how the original cast interacts with new arrivals.

Stormvcermin patrols face-spawn so often on a few maps that you can basically trigger them on demand... whats new though is roughly 50% of all my specials arent auto-called anymore since a few weeks.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I just think it's adorable. Look at them, marching around and singing. They think they're people.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I picked this up a few months back on sale and I'm playing it for the first time soon. Anything quick hot tips or hot goon-with-goon action?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dscruffy1 posted:

I picked this up a few months back on sale and I'm playing it for the first time soon. Anything quick hot tips or hot goon-with-goon action?

Blocking works behind you.

Blocking totally rules.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

With almost every weapon, holding your charge attack for longer does not make it any more powerful. Holding your charge attack for longer is just so you can time when to release it.

Don't fight hordes of rats in the open. Find a choke point if possible.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

Have you joined the discord?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/235540/announcements/detail/1464090667820524352

quote:

Heroes!

Announcing our next DLC for Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide: Death on the Reik!

"You're not gonna believe this, but one of my lads has pinched some... books... I've been keeping close. He's fled down the River Reik, and the skaven are in hot pursuit. I need you to join the chase, and get him before they do." - Lohner

Theft and treachery lead the heroes on a chase down the river Reik on behest of the dear Innkeep.

Two new levels (Reikwald Forest and The River Reik), a brand new weapon for Sienna Fuegonasus and heaps more Skaven to slay.

As has come to be a tradition, we'll also be taking a balance pass on some of the items and traits - making adjustments based on both your feedback as well as our own tracking.

We'll have more to share soon on both the DLC and also a test phase we'll have in place ahead of launch.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

More ratfight is always welcome.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i wonder if we'll find someone alive for a change this time

(hype for the new sienna weapon too)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Still no halberd for Kruber. :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The thief will be alive...but the twist is that he was a rat all along!!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sazabi posted:

More than anything I would like to see an Amber Wizard (Lore of Beasts for people who don't know Warhammer) to fill the Bright Wizard spot. Give him/her gnarly wolfman claws and other animalistic transformations for melee and a mixture of the Vermintide 1 style wizard staffs for shooting homing crows and amber spears and magical snares, and also a handful of longbows that have some secondary fire minor magics.

I think if they do new characters, we'll probably see a High Elf, probably a Lothern Sea Captain or something that uses polearms and different variations on bows. A Slayer that has a variety of shapes and sizes of throwing axes/hammers instead of traditional ranged weapons could be neat. A Kislev Streltsi could be neat and would fill a Kruber shaped hole in the party, maybe with more of a focus on 2 handed weapons instead of sword and board. A Skink Chief with spears, macuahuitl, and blowpipes would probably own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

The thief will be alive...but the twist is that he was a rat all along!!

Turns out the final challenge is a game of find the sack rat... except there are hundreds of them.

Miiiiine! Miiiiine!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I liked spawning sack rats in carriages at the end. Their pathing is all on the same axis and you have a conga line of kleptoskaven emerging from the clown car.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dscruffy1 posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Warhammer:_End_Times_-_Vermintide

Also if folks have additions they want made to that page, let me know.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Strength potions buff EVERYTHING which includes your ranged weapon and secondary gear like bombs, so if you got someone around with a good potion share trinket like I usually run and a few of the normal bombs on-hand, roger enters a world of hurt they never thought possible.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

addition: kruber is cool, and good, and, my friend

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Warhammer:_End_Times_-_Vermintide

Also if folks have additions they want made to that page, let me know.

Yardbomb posted:

Strength potions buff EVERYTHING which includes your ranged weapon and secondary gear like bombs, so if you got someone around with a good potion share trinket like I usually run and a few of the normal bombs on-hand, roger enters a world of hurt they never thought possible.

yeah, strength buffing bombs is super important for stormvermin patrols and ogres

other stuff i'm reasonably sure about that might be helpful:
  • You can swap out a tome for a health item; you can not drop/swap a grimoire unless you want it to turn to dust.
  • If you die holding a grimoire, the grimoire is lost.
  • You can avoid stormvermin patrols and it's often a good idea to do so!
  • You unlock quests/contracts after playing through all missions once, so that should be a priority.
  • Blowing yourself up from overheating with the Bright Witch (or Dwarf with drakefire pistols) does not necessarily kill you - it's counted as a down, so you won't die unless you've already been downed once*
  • If you want to give an item to another player, just jam on the Use key (E by default) instead of trying to figure out whether it's the Use key or the right mouse button (can't give medkits though)
  • Holy Sigmar, bless this ravaged body
  • Bladed weapons except for the 2-handed swords can generally only hit up to 2 rats at once, whereas blunt weapons like hammers and maces will hit all rats in the swing
  • Bots will pick up items if all human players already have one of that type, but bots will only actually use health items; they will hand you their effect potions and bombs after you use yours. They will also pick up tomes, but will drop them in a heartbeat to pick up a health item, so be careful if you're trying to get bots to lug tomes around for you.

*suicide beam witch with fast respawn trinket owns for last stand

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 11, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I love Storm Vermin patrols.

I mean, just look at them.

They think they're people. :3:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

At this point I might as well just say it: don't throw bombs at ogres at all, ever, it's just a waste.

Unless you can knock him into a death pit with a frag don't waste it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Actually do throw bombs at the rat ogre because it stuns him in place for 5 seconds which can easily make the difference between winning and losing.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

also it clears out some of the baby rats that are probably swarming you along with said rat ogre (rogre, if you will)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This bomb'll settle the raki filth!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

Actually do throw bombs at the rat ogre because it stuns him in place for 5 seconds which can easily make the difference between winning and losing.

Or get someone to juke his attacks and he stands there doing a jig conceivably forever. I say don't throw bombs at the ogre for this reason. If a bomb is going to be thrown it will be a firebomb to clear out the slave rats typically coming in as backup, and that has its purpose there, but bombs against the ogre himself are, outside of specific circumstances, a total waste. If you're in a confined space as is and he spawns then you better hope whoever has the frag has no FF on, but this is circumstantial. Otherwise you should back up and find open ground.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes you can kill a rat ogre without taking damage in the engagement if you have space to maneuver, it goes after a good player, whoever does most of the damage is good enough not to friendly fire, and nothing else happens that will split your attention (which in vermintide is the least likely part of this scenario). This will let you save a single bomb for some hypothetically worse situation that may or may not happen and probably wouldn't need to concern this kind of group anyway. Or you can just guarantee that you'll shut down the highest-risk part of the level regardless of the skill of anyone in the group and instead of giving anything a chance to go wrong.

Shutting him down in 5 seconds is the fastest way to make sure nothing goes wrong and the easiest way to ensure that is to use a bomb.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

http://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/

Someone got Nurgle Chaos in my Skaven.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yo what the gently caress

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That ui is dog poo poo holy hell

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Kerillian's got a DElf repeater crossbow so looks like they're getting liberal with racial weapons.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Can't wait for the loot box announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Can't wait for the loot box announcement

There's already one in the first Vermintide, it's called the stash.

• Locked thread