Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone have a solution to the bugged wolven armor quest? I'm about to head off to the Isle of Mists but was super excited that I could finally check this old quest off my list by going to Kaer Morhen. So I head to this tower, read some letter on a corpse, find a symbol on a wall, and leap to a side ledge to grab a crystal. That half repairs the flickering portal, but from googling it looks like I'm supposed to be able to find a second crystal in a chest? A chest that just doesn't seem to exist?

I'm playing on PC so if there's a console solution I'm fine cheating to fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm a complete idiot and there's a crystal in the symbol just to the right in a second diagram on the wall. No chest required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any recommended mods?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recommended mods?

Just fairly minor quality of life stuff, check the OP. Auto-apply oils, fast travel from anywhere, jump in shallow water, various UI stuff.

The game is pretty polished and is just fine as-is. I would recommend waiting until you're a good way through Velen before messing with mods.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
any word on when the 4k patch for ps4 pro is coming out?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Auto apply oils for sure. No fall damage is nice if you just like exploring. There are a few different Better Trophies mods out there since vanilla trophies are extremely boring.

But yeah, it's really polished. Play around a bit and decide what's missing for you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recommended mods?
I think there is a reasonable list in the second post.

Reality Winner posted:

Auto apply oils for sure. No fall damage is nice if you just like exploring. There are a few different Better Trophies mods out there since vanilla trophies are extremely boring.

But yeah, it's really polished. Play around a bit and decide what's missing for you.
I could never get Auto Apply Oils to work.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recommended mods?
Mod merger: just there to make sure all the mods play well with each other.

Fast travel from anywhere: saves on quite a bit of annoying backtracking when exploring. Can mess up quests (when you're supposed to follow someone / when someone is supposed to talk to you the moment you exit a building) so use with care.

Map quest objectives: Shows you all current quest objectives on the map, instead of just the quest currently highlighted. Immensely useful, particularly when it comes to scavenger hunts.

Auto-apply oils: saves you a lot of hassle, since applying oils through the inventory system is just a time-wasting bother. Stops you from getting the Even Odds achievement.

Better torches: Climb, cast and fight without putting your torch away.

Cheap dyes everywhere: now you can be a shiny Witcher princess before the endgame starts.

The mods above are basically just a matter of convenience. The mods below actively change how the game plays, so fair warning if you want a "purist" experience:

General perks always active: exactly what it says. Makes the general perks a lot more viable, since there are a lot of reasons not to use them in an umodded game.

Select all mutations: allows you to use more than one mutation at a time in B&W. Kinda gamebreaking, but IMO the mutations are hard enough to get that being forced to only use one is a bit lame.

Indestructible items - no more weapon / armor degradation.

Buyable Doppler and Succubus Mutagens: Satisfy your completionist urges AND your moral concerns at the same time.

The above doesn't include any graphics mods, mostly because I didn't feel the game needed any.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recommended mods?

Disable fall damage. It is absurdly deadly in the vanilla game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im finally getting some serious hours into this game and its fuckin great. Cleared all of velen and novigrad main story and doing contracts and side quests before i outlevel them if I can. ifigured i was done in novigrad and then started up the cabaret mission just to get some closure with zoltan/dandelion and here I am an hour later on one side quests hunting a murderer. this fuckin game has so much stuff to do

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did you finish the murderer quest? It's one of the best in the game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you finish the murderer quest? It's one of the best in the game.

i think so, it ends with interrogating the priest, finding out it's been the coroner and then killing him as a vampire right? if so yeah it was loving awesome

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Congratulations on your thorough investigation.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

steinrokkan posted:

Disable fall damage. It is absurdly deadly in the vanilla game.

Also parkouring across Novigrad's roofs is way more fun than running.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm surprised nobody has recommended the Friendly HUD mod yet. I use it to disable the minimap so that it only appears when I use Witcher Senses, along with a little marker that appears in the direction of where you want to go. At the risk of sounding :goonsay: it really does make the game more immersive. The mod can do a bunch of other stuff, too, but I haven't messed with any of it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Bold Robot posted:

I'm surprised nobody has recommended the Friendly HUD mod yet. I use it to disable the minimap so that it only appears when I use Witcher Senses, along with a little marker that appears in the direction of where you want to go. At the risk of sounding :goonsay: it really does make the game more immersive. The mod can do a bunch of other stuff, too, but I haven't messed with any of it.

I use it for the floating 3d markers on everything since im just trying to get through the game for the story. its really good, plus the quickswap potions/bombs menu is crazy good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bold Robot posted:

I like the minimap. I can't imagine playing this, or any other game, without it. I would just end up evoking the proper map menu screen all the time, which would be far more disruptive than having a small navigation tool in the corner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

steinrokkan posted:

I like the minimap. I can't imagine playing this, or any other game, without it. I would just end up evoking the proper map menu screen all the time, which would be far more disruptive than having a small navigation tool in the corner.

It's interesting to play Just Cause 3 right on the heels of finishing Witcher 3 because of the differences in character mobility and finding your way around.

JC3 has no minimap and it can get tedious trying to find the last few nearby Chaos Objects to destroy in a base but the game makes up for it by having player-defined waypoints, on-screen destination targets, and highlighted paths on the roads when driving. It's a system more generous than it needs to be because it could just point you in the right direction without giving you the best path and it wouldn't hamper you like Witcher 3 does because Rico can effortlessly scale or drop any height so you can travel in a straight line to most destinations without having to worry about going around anything.

Whereas Geralt is way more limited in mobility so when all you're given is an active quest compass you can easily find yourself on a dead end street or going the wrong way around a mountain or cliff or lake. And then you have to pull up the map. Guided paths would be much more appreciated than a minimap and compass, but of course people would have a problem with heads-up navigation systems overlaid on a fantasy setting. Player-defined waypoints would have helped a lot.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

A quick tap of the left bumper to activate Witcher senses will bring up the minimap for a short period of time in Friendly HUD which I find to be all I need in practice. The mod also lets you pin any parts of the HUD you want as you need to - so right shift and the M key will pin the minimap to the screen even if you've hidden everything. I find this useful in specific locations.

The 3D markers are well done, though I eventually turned them off in favor of using witcher senses to bring them and the minimap up briefly when needed - you tend to notice more of the game world this way. The mod is very well designed like all of wghost's mods, a lot of care and detail.

wghost's Gameplay Tweaks mod collection has a lot of useful quality of life mods in it, for the person who first asked. There's a fall damage tweak in it for eg. Igni burns nests, Jump and sprint when you need it, No startup movies, and No zoom in on witcher senses are all in my game.

Long effort post on Ghost Mode follows - I just completed the main game for the first time with it (and Friendly HUD) and I thought I'd sing its praises.

Ghost Mode, wghost's comprehensive overhaul mod, is also a good candidate for a first run. It tweaks and fixes all aspects of gameplay while staying completely true to the vanilla experience - you're still playing the Witcher 3, but combat is more strategic and demanding, loot is more meaningful, skills are balanced and not bugged, etc. Highly recommend, even for a first run.

Even something as simple as the loot you find has been a huge improvement in the mod. Vanilla Witcher 3 is very random in what you get from random boxes. I found Dimeterium Plate in the first hut I entered in the tutorial area. Blows out the economy immediately. Most gear you find is sadly useless, relics included, since witcher gear is so powerful, so there's no feeling of excitement when you find a piece of relic armor. All that's fixed in Ghost Mode. You no longer find relics and other powerful items in random peasant's hut or barrels. Relic gear is very good and balances with Witcher gear, which still retains usefulness based on its properties. So finding one of the better loot boxes at the end of a dungeon is now exciting, since it may contain an actually useful sword.

There is a large amount of thought and detail put into every aspect of gameplay while still remaining true to the vanilla game. The mod is also feature complete and stable as she is only making fixes of late, so it's a good time to try it.

Do read up on the changes before you try it. The big things to be aware of are:
- Armor type affects stamina regen so stick to Light (bonus stamina regen) or Medium (normal stamina regen) armor. Heavy (diminished stamina regen) armor is a different playstyle entirely from the other two: move/position instead of dodge, tank hits, use adrenaline to cast signs instead of stamina - heavy gear is well suited to quick AP generation. I stayed with Light armor and Cat school all the way through getting Wolven gear (around level 18 in Kaer Morhen) when I switched to using it (Medium armor).
- The Master armorer and smith now carry items that let you level up gear. So you can now level up items you particularly like, which increases their base stats to match gear of the new level. So don't sell a particularly good relic sword you found with great properties. You can level it up once you've done the Master craftsmen quests.
- Armor matters and you need armor penetration to get through it. Heavy attacks have 200 armor penetration, and some swords have +armor penetration. This makes heavy attack useful in combat against any armored enemy, unlike vanilla where fast attack is all you mostly need. This makes combat more interesting on the whole as you can no longer spam fast attacks.
- Quen isn't the godly defensive skill it is in vanilla. Still useful, but it only absorbs a set amount of damage and no longer tanks entire hits as it used to. Dodging and positioning are better defenses in combat. Yrden can be very useful. I haven't played a signs build, but basic Quen and Yrden are still somewhat useful though not as powerful as vanilla.
- Bleed, Poison, and Burn have all been fixed and now do damage per tick based on percentage of enemy health, so they scale with enemy level. This is different from vanilla where the 4th tier Bleed skill was useless against high level enemies as it did fixed damage. These effects will outdo fixed +damage in the latter part of the game - so that Mastercrafted Feline sword with +25% Bleeding. +30% Critical Change is quite powerful even if lacks the +75 Damage of a Relic Sword you may have found.
- Experience and leveling have been tweaked. You get most of your experience from the main quest line. Side quests and witcher contracts reward you with money and loot in the form of chests at the end of them. Since Relics do matter in this mod, that's often a better reward than experience. Quest levels are well tweaked to match the experience, so other than a small bit around the middle of Velen/Novigrad, I was always at or maybe a level above the next main quest. This made a big difference in practice where the difficulty felt pretty good all the way through to the end.
- The mod is customizable, so tweak it if you find some aspect annoying. I increased carry weight initially before realizing it wasn't worth it given the rebalanced economy and went back to default settings. I have not suffered for money, but nor have I had a huge amount at hand. It's well balanced.
- Difficulty does matter. I played through on BB&B, DM is very hard in this mod. Difficulty is tweakable as all increased difficulty does in this mod is add to enemy damage and health and both may be tweaked. I found BB&B perfect for my play and stuck to that with the rest of the mod's defaults. The mod is not focused improved difficulty, playing through on Normal will reap benefits from all the balancing and fixes.

This may sound like it's slagging on vanilla, but it isn't meant to. Vanilla Witcher 3 is a great game and one of the very smart things they did was to not gate all of that wonderful content behind extremely hard or tediously detailed gameplay. Ghost Mode, while thankfully not being into simulation or realism, does move it back to where you have to be more aware of game mechanics and you will die in combat even at later levels if you're not paying attention, so if you're primarily interested in the story, world, and characters it may not be your best choice. It's not hard on Normal difficulty, so that is an option if you want the rest of her fixes and tweaks.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 2, 2017

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've definitely got to second ghost mode as great, played the game with it and loved it. Would recommend to anyone on a first, second, or any other numbered playthrough. When I played it, personally, I put it on normal but gave the enemies about +60% damage and a little less hp, so battles were quick and deadly, but that's just preference. It also has the option for 'all quests and enemies scale to your level', which I used and am also a huge fan of. Did you know that if you do Hearts of Stone and fulfill your end of the deal in the final scene, if you haven't completed the main quest, you can ask him about Ciri?

One quick note, though, I think bombs and the crossbow do reduced damage in ghost mode if you don't hold the button to manually aim, quick throws deal less damage so they are better for status bombs, for grapeshot or with the 'all bombs deal +250 damage' skill, it is better to manual aim.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 3, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
enhanced edition is better, soon as this 2.11 is released that fixes all goddamn bugs.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is there an easier way to farm the headshot trophy? Certain enemies, easy mode, etc.? It's one of the last ones left and I feel like it's going to take forever.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
CDPR released a sweet little video for The Witcher's 10th anniversary.

Spoilers if you haven't finished the expansions I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqz8Je7P0s

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senjuro posted:

Jesus, someone at CDPR is drat good at their job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Senjuro posted:

GodDAMN...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Senjuro posted:

there are no words for this.

:qq:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 3, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Olgierd forgiven, Strenger not hanged, Anna and Syanna alive, and Lambert alive. No implication if Geralt got back with Triss or Yen. The perfect ending. Also, looks like Geralt has installed a few mods for Corvo Bianco to put up more sword stands.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hobo Clown posted:

Is there an easier way to farm the headshot trophy? Certain enemies, easy mode, etc.? It's one of the last ones left and I feel like it's going to take forever.
I think I've heard a suggestion - Devil's pit in Valen. Seeral bandits respawn there periodically, but only follow you to the gates, standing there and shouting threats. Line up, take down.

Also a good place for the "blast people off high places with Aard" achievement.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Senjuro posted:

The one thing missing from Blood and Wine was a party and now we got it. :perfect:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Senjuro posted:

Ah drat I thought they'd include flashback shots of what Geralt used to look like.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:unsmith:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

queeb posted:

i think so, it ends with interrogating the priest, finding out it's been the coroner and then killing him as a vampire right? if so yeah it was loving awesome

See I was a little disappointed

because I picked the wrong dialog choice, killed the priest and never resolved the quest. Thought it was kind of lame that it just ended there and there wasn't an option to keep hunting after you still find messages in the street

Finally started binging the game years late. Fantastic stuff. Only other disappointment was starting the high stakes Gwent tourney at the earliest possible time I was eligible for it and not being able to get through it even with multiple reloads because my deck was poo poo. That's kinda my fault tho.

My only other issue is that I binge on the side quests because I like clearing things area by area and tend to end up over leveled for the main quests.

Also I was really thorough with the places of interest in Velen and Novigrad but I'm gonna kill myself before I dig through the hundred smugglers caches in the middle of the ocean in Skellige.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just rewatched it and Roach stepping into the frame at the end has me in stitches.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Is this a bug?

[B&W near-end spoilers]

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Senjuro posted:

I really like the way what sort of started off like a letter to a friend (Ciri maybe - like she was arriving to the party after receiving the letter being read) turned into a step across the fourth wall with Geralt and CDPR acknowledging that their success was both hard work and loyal fans. It's rare that a video games company does something that makes me feel personally appreciated. Not just as a consumer, but as a person. That was cool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

attackmole posted:

See I was a little disappointed

because I picked the wrong dialog choice, killed the priest and never resolved the quest. Thought it was kind of lame that it just ended there and there wasn't an option to keep hunting after you still find messages in the street

Finally started binging the game years late. Fantastic stuff. Only other disappointment was starting the high stakes Gwent tourney at the earliest possible time I was eligible for it and not being able to get through it even with multiple reloads because my deck was poo poo. That's kinda my fault tho.

My only other issue is that I binge on the side quests because I like clearing things area by area and tend to end up over leveled for the main quests.

Also I was really thorough with the places of interest in Velen and Novigrad but I'm gonna kill myself before I dig through the hundred smugglers caches in the middle of the ocean in Skellige.

Maybe you shouldn't have killed the only lead you had.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have killed the only lead you had.

I'm pretty sure I killed him on my most recent playthrough and still progressed the quest, you just have to talk to him a bit before butchering him. Which you should do, because he's a piece of poo poo and was about to torture that prostitute with a hot poker against her consent.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Senjuro posted:

Pro-click, alright. It was exactly what I didn't know was missing from the already perfect ending of Blood & Wine.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pellisworth posted:

I'm pretty sure I killed him on my most recent playthrough and still progressed the quest, you just have to talk to him a bit before butchering him. Which you should do, because he's a piece of poo poo and was about to torture that prostitute with a hot poker against her consent.
Yeah, I did exactly that. After he gave me the info I needed to progress the quest, his head ended up on the floor.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Senjuro posted:

That was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Senjuro posted:

Just rewatched this (still :perfect:) and I was so overwhelmed the first time that I didn't notice Roach joining in the group shot at the end even though they're inside lol