Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LornMarkus posted:

More relevant now I'm told the Newcomer experience stages are almost as good as Sundaily.

They're slightly worse as far as EXP/Stamina ratio, but the important thing is that they're open All The Time and they're stupidly easy to solo as long as you have an AoE. Enemies there do a fraction of the damage of the Sundaily enemies, and (as long as you avoid the FFX one) don't do stupid status effect shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Dorgan's sword is +wind damage which is nice if you're already hitting the atk softcap on Cloud, or for FF5 levels in general. Dorgan's sword + Cid's goggles are quite nice for the USB+BSB2 Cloud combo. :getin:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just mastered Bartz USB and LMR with those newcomer exp stages. Finally had my first chance to unleash him upon Torment Jumpstart Geosgaeno.

Holy poo poo. It's so good. Holy poo poo. It feels awesome to have him hit engulfing twin strikes three times in a row, followed by an 8-hit follow-up. And that's even before I've fully legend dived him to get the extra chance to double-hit. That's also without seeing how obscene this gets with Cloud USB RW.

Gonna need to start seeing what magicite bosses I can take on now. Ice is now my only crappy element, it seems.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

They're slightly worse as far as EXP/Stamina ratio, but the important thing is that they're open All The Time and they're stupidly easy to solo as long as you have an AoE. Enemies there do a fraction of the damage of the Sundaily enemies, and (as long as you avoid the FFX one) don't do stupid status effect shenanigans.

Not true. Some of the PSICOM nerds in the FF13 dungeons have a Confuse attack that they use way more than they should. :argh:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does Bartz' USB ever come back? I want it really bad but I only have 100 mythril left and I'm not chasing it anymore when there's a ton of good poo poo right around the corner.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does Bartz' USB ever come back? I want it really bad but I only have 100 mythril left and I'm not chasing it anymore when there's a ton of good poo poo right around the corner.

Next fest if it isn't changed.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Next fest if it isn't changed.

It's worth noting that if they keep the fest banners as they were on the 6* and BSB level, the Chicken Knife recurs with Celes BSB2, Mog BSB, Rosa USB, and Terra USB. Depending on your needs it's a significantly stronger banner, and this banner is already solid.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

It's worth noting that if they keep the fest banners as they were on the 6* and BSB level, the Chicken Knife recurs with Celes BSB2, Mog BSB, Rosa USB, and Terra USB. Depending on your needs it's a significantly stronger banner, and this banner is already solid.

6* and BSBs are the only things on the fest banners, so that seems rather unlikely. That said, at a minimum the main character USBs are almost certain to remain the same, so Butz's USB should indeed return at the end of the month.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

What rank hailstorm and omega drive(?) are you using on your Cloud for Fenrir? My lack of other good ice options (except Squall's OSB?) make that fight fairly annoying.

R3 and R2 hailstorm and OD respectively. It's not pretty though. I stack Deployment Tactics for extra buffing and dps. I also use Ramza​ USB to throw in some BSB2 casts (roughly equal to a use of Hailstorm) when possible. It's not an easy fight but I needed the Enkidu (now at level 81).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

not bad. I'd like his USB or even one of his BSBs to combo with his OSB, but I can probably wait until the fest for another shot at them

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If I've got Ramza's USB, Shout, and Tailwind, is it worth fully diving him? How noticeable is the boost to buff duration? He's still a staple on my physical team at this point, but I'm not sure if I should be diving more niche characters for clearing magicite and stuff instead.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If I've got Ramza's USB, Shout, and Tailwind, is it worth fully diving him? How noticeable is the boost to buff duration? He's still a staple on my physical team at this point, but I'm not sure if I should be diving more niche characters for clearing magicite and stuff instead.

Yes. It's really noticable. The only major drawback is that the hastega part of Shout does not get extended so you either need a backup hastega or deal with the loss of haste for a while. Ideally you'd have a stacking ATK boost that also provides haste like OK BSB or Rikku USB or something.

The extra damage from support abilities is also really nice, as are all the stat increases you get from the legend dive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A tip for people struggling with Magicites is to fit an entrust bot into your lineup even if you're not going for speed clears. A character devoted entirely to wrath/entrust requires no soul breaks or relics and adds an enormous amount of versatility to your lineup because you get a huge source of SB bars that you can direct to anyone you might need them on; if the damage is overpowering your healer you can shunt 2-3 SB bars into them to play catchup, if you're relying on an imperil user you can shunt SB into the imperiler to stack it quickly, and if everything is going swimmingly you can just have your primary DPS chain soul breaks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kanos posted:

A tip for people struggling with Magicites is to fit an entrust bot into your lineup even if you're not going for speed clears. A character devoted entirely to wrath/entrust requires no soul breaks or relics and adds an enormous amount of versatility to your lineup because you get a huge source of SB bars that you can direct to anyone you might need them on; if the damage is overpowering your healer you can shunt 2-3 SB bars into them to play catchup, if you're relying on an imperil user you can shunt SB into the imperiler to stack it quickly, and if everything is going swimmingly you can just have your primary DPS chain soul breaks.

Can confirm, even with OK running Vessel of Fate I had a lot of utility out of having him spam Wrath into Entrust gauge-feeding an OSB nuker, either Terra on Sealion or Orlandeau on Bismarck. Freed up a DPS slot that I could use for a second healer instead.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I have no self control. After getting Bartz' USB + LMR in one pull, I should've been content and kept stashing mythril. But after seeing for myself just how ridiculous he can be, it got into my head that it would be great to have a BSB as well... especially since I'm still newish and can't get a good set of honed spellblades for a while.

So I made a second pull on impulse and got: Galuf SSB1, Faris SSB... poo poo. The greed rage is growing.

Third impulse pull: Galuf SSB2, Bartz LMR (dupe)... oh god...

Fourth mega rage induced pull involving $11 worth of gems:

Uhhhh........ you know what... that was all worth it. Yep. :holy:

So in four pulls plus a 100 gem, I ended up with:

Bartz: USB + BSB2 + BSB3 + LMR
Faris: USB + SSB
Dorgann: BSB + SSB
Galuf: SSB1 + SSB2

Literally everything on this banner except Faris' LMR. Pretty stoked to have a fully equipped realm synergy team. Before this I only had at most two useable characters from any given realm.

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 3, 2017

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

jebeebus posted:

I have no self control. After getting Bartz' USB + LMR in one pull, I should've been content and kept stashing mythril. But after seeing for myself just how ridiculous he can be, it got into my head that it would be great to have a BSB as well... especially since I'm still newish and can't get a good set of honed spellblades for a while.

So I made a second pull on impulse and got: Galuf SSB1, Faris SSB... poo poo. The greed rage is growing.

Third impulse pull: Galuf SSB2, Bartz LMR (dupe)... oh god...

Fourth mega rage induced pull involving $11 worth of gems:

Uhhhh........ you know what... that was all worth it. Yep. :holy:

So in four pulls plus a 100 gem, I ended up with:

Bartz: USB + BSB2 + BSB3 + LMR
Faris: USB + SSB
Dorgann: BSB + SSB
Galuf: SSB1 + SSB2

Literally everything on this banner except Faris' LMR. Pretty stoked to have a fully equipped realm synergy team. Before this I only had at most two useable characters from any given realm.

Gratz! You managed to get the same items as me, with only one extra pull. :p
I am legitimately still in disbelief about the 3 pulls I made.

Also: Bartz did about 400k damage off a single BSB command to the FFX 300 Torment, with some help from Tidus Chain and Faris debuffs. (cloud rw op even on mega chains)

Oryp fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 3, 2017

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Hey, I just got back into this game. I played it at launch and eventually deleted it and apparently can't get my account back now.

I started over from the beginning and have been kind of passively been logging in to accept daily rewards the last few weeks.

Just started playing now, did two 11 pulls and got Faris's ultra weapon. Managed to unlock her from the event that's currently there, along with a bunch of other FFV characters and got the Hero Soul from the event, though I have no clue who to unlock.

The game has introduced a ton of concepts since I last played; not really sure what to do, I guess run through the main story stuff to get my stamina up?

Mischalaniouse fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 3, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Hey, I just got back into this game. I played it at launch and eventually deleted it and apparently can't get my account back now.

I started over from the beginning and have been kind of passively been logging in to accept daily rewards the last few weeks.

Just started playing now, did two 11 pulls and got Faris's ultra weapon. Managed to unlock her from the event that's currently there, along with a bunch of other FFV characters and got the Hero Soul from the event, though I have no clue who to unlock.

The game has introduced a ton of concepts since I last played; not really sure what to do, I guess run through the main story stuff to get my stamina up?

Welcome back to the game!

The Hero Soul should go towards somebody you got a relic for, but don't have yet. Soul breaks are super important to have these days, so character priority should always be based on what items you've pulled. Just check if the event itself also gives that character or not.

And building up stamina is probably where you should start from. The content is a bit dull, but stamina is pretty major for quality of life, and the mythril is good. Just be sure to check out low difficulty event stuff as well, and clear those as deep as you can go.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Thanks! I don't have any relics I don't have the characters for at present, so I'll just wait to unlock a hero until I do.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
We should have a bunch of lucky banners coming up (one-time-only half price pulls), so it'd be a good idea to save your mithril for those. They're absolutely the best bang for your mithril buck when you don't have many relics, and really, generally even once you do.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just be careful not to pull on the "Newcomers Welcome Relic Draw", they're total trash even at half off.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

HPanda posted:

We should have a bunch of lucky banners coming up (one-time-only half price pulls), so it'd be a good idea to save your mithril for those. They're absolutely the best bang for your mithril buck when you don't have many relics, and really, generally even once you do.

Also the Fest banners that will follow them will also be extremely excellent. BSB and USB only banners will provide a huge utility and power boost for a returning player.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Okay, I'm going to apologize beforehand for the spergpost, but assuming all things stay the same, I've finally (for the tenth time) decided I'm pulling 12x on the 30th banners. Here is what I'm thinking:

Banner 1
(Want: WoL CSB, Firion BSB, Luneth USB, Master BSB)
---
2 Pulls

Banner 2
(Want: Terra USB, Pecil USB/BSB, Rosa USB, Bartz USB/BSB, Celes BSB, Yang BSB)
---
3 Pulls

Banner 3
(Want: Cloud USB/BSB, Squall USB/BSB, Zidane USB/BSB, Rinoa CSB, Sephiroth BSB)
---
3 Pulls

Banner 4
(DUPES: Auron BSB, Fran BSB, Reks BSB)
(Want: Tidus USB, Vaan USB/BSB, Yuna USB/BSB, Ayame BSB)
---
0 Pulls, don't want dupes, not many wants.

Banner 5
(DUPES: Hope BSB)
(Want: Lightning USB/BSB, Noctis USB/BSB, Yda USB/BSB, Nabaat BSB, Snow BSB, Gladiolus BSB)
---
4 Pulls

What I'm wondering: Am I missing anything? Any relic I'm over/undervaluing? Where would you spend your 600 mythril if you were going all out on the banners?

e: My synergy mostly sucks. I have two decent V swords and a fully tricked out XII synergy, but basically no other realm at all.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 3, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ceaselessfuture posted:

Okay, I'm going to apologize beforehand for the spergpost, but assuming all things stay the same, I've finally (for the tenth time) decided I'm pulling 12x on the 30th banners.

Thanks for the mostly comprehensive list of banners, I hadn't seen them yet. I'll probably pull on one and three.

As for your question, I don't like pulling more than twice on a banner. You rapidly reach diminishing returns due to dupes and it is easy to get caught up in chasing.

Plus, future banners will always be better. If I was in your position I'd skip banners with lots of dupes and make up to two pulls on each of the others.

Alternatively, another goon has a method of scoring banners. 3 points for each amazing relic you don't own, 2 for good ones, 1 for stuff you don't care about, and - 1 for dupes. You'd stop pulling once a banner drops below an arbitrary threshold. I tried it last fest and it treated me really well.

Just remember that you'll probably never have as much mythril as you do now, as you clear out the dungeons it gets rarer and you'll need to ration pulls more.

Edit: what is the hardest content you can clear?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 3, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Just as importantly, keep in mind that there's always minor changes to festival banners, so unlike event banners, the list we have is incredibly tentative. We'll almost certainly still keep the big USBs (Bartz, Cloud, Noctis, Zidane) and the general setup of the banners (NES/SNES/PSX/PS2/PS3+) but we'll most likely have relics other than the top-crust getting swapped out. Don't commit without seeing the finalized banners.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not a big deal, but I just used Shantotto's lightning chain to beat the d180 FFXI banner and it was incredibly fun. First time I've ever used a chain.

I had Iris BSB for heals and to dodge paralyze. Ramza shouted, chanted, and used ninja lightning.

My DPS came from Laguna's BSB, Shulk's BSB, and TG Cid's OSB. He died so fast I didn't even need wall.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

KPC_Mammon posted:

Alternatively, another goon has a method of scoring banners. 3 points for each amazing relic you don't own, 2 for good ones, 1 for stuff you don't care about, and - 1 for dupes. You'd stop pulling once a banner drops below an arbitrary threshold. I tried it last fest and it treated me really well.

Just remember that you'll probably never have as much mythril as you do now, as you clear out the dungeons it gets rarer and you'll need to ration pulls more.

Edit: what is the hardest content you can clear?

That's a really good idea, I'm going to start doing that :D What's your arbitrary threshold?

As of right now, I'm finally done poopsocking the realm banners, so I literally won't have more mythril coming. I'm interested in the FFTA, FFXII, and FFT(Orlandeau) banners upcoming, so I suppose I could stock a couple pulls in advance...

Hardest content at the moment is sometimes being able to beat Jump Starts, 220 Apoc end of event bosses (Lich pushed my poo poo in last week and I don't have the Holy to push back), and 2/5 Rebirth dungeons. So I'd say proto-endgame? I guess?

I tried the Mateus 200 Torment dungeon and it didn't go so well. I think I need better/more honed abilities. Also I should probably finish more Nightmare dungeons.

quote:

Just as importantly, keep in mind that there's always minor changes to festival banners, so unlike event banners, the list we have is incredibly tentative. We'll almost certainly still keep the big USBs (Bartz, Cloud, Noctis, Zidane) and the general setup of the banners (NES/SNES/PSX/PS2/PS3+) but we'll most likely have relics other than the top-crust getting swapped out. Don't commit without seeing the finalized banners.

I really want another shot at the Rosa USB, because I don't think it'll be wise for me to commit to the FFIV banner after all :sigh:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Another thing to consider with mass pulling from the 30th fest for a new player are the resources needed to actually get the newly relic'd characters up to speed. For reference I've played for, what, four months? I have 14 people at 99 and 12 people with a full 4* dive. Sure you don't need to be 99 4* dive to perform but you'll notice a drop in performance when you bring them to demanding fights. It's even more noticable with legend dives.

What I'm trying to say here is that by the time you would have resources to get half of the people up to speed the next amazing fest is already behind the corner.

But pull for your favorites first and foremost. And if you want to go all in on the 30th it's a fine place to do so. At least you'll get some good synergy relics for most realms.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

drat that's actually a really good point I didn't consider. Fests are every what, three months?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

That's a really good idea, I'm going to start doing that :D What's your arbitrary threshold?

I think the original poster of that rubric said that any banner with 20 or so points is a must-pull, 10-20 is a "maybe rethink it" and less than 10 is "skip this"? I might be wrong on the numbers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Any tips for putting together a mixed team? Like team composition wise how should I split the damage dealers?

Fighting the d120 Shadowlord loving sucked.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Any tips for putting together a mixed team? Like team composition wise how should I split the damage dealers?

bring people with self-buffing moves. monks, samurais, darkness users, anyone with a 30% bargain burst command, etc

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
One more magicite tip I used and don't think has been mentioned here yet: Affliction Break.

Great vs: Hydra, Sea Lion
These jerks rely on their stacking imperil to overwhelm you or force you to run a bunch of healers just to deal with the damage. AB gives the imperil a chance to not be applied, often you get only 2-3 characters with the imperil which is massive.

Affliction Break lasts 15 seconds. Apply the first one at ~15 seconds in, the second ~30 seconds in.

Electric Phantasm posted:

For what it's worth Shadow Lord's entire thing is to be super annoying. Everyone hates him no matter what team you bring.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Shadowlord specifically is sort of annoying and is different then just building a mixed team.

I've personally always tackled him with Ninja teams since Ninja Magic isn't blocked in either phase. I'll also use Yuna's Trigger Happy BSB as extra DPS. It's classified as NAT type damage so it also gets around the physical/magical immunity gimmick. Makes him pretty easy at the lower difficulty (non-D200) versions.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

If this keeps up, I'm going to start actively wanting to try and Lightning Team down the remaining 3 Magicites (it's not though, Fenrir & Liquid Flame are by far the two easiest ones to off-element due to their attacks).

Incidentally, Wall was cast 52 seconds into the fight, after experimenting and finding out you can absolutely heal through Liquid Flame's damage without Wall up as he's either % hp damaging you or dealing about 3200 with Ray on single targets. A counter Fira might gently caress you up.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

KataraniSword posted:

I think the original poster of that rubric said that any banner with 20 or so points is a must-pull, 10-20 is a "maybe rethink it" and less than 10 is "skip this"? I might be wrong on the numbers.

I'm so pleased that people are still using my banner scoring method. :D

Those numbers work fine as a soft threshhold, (just remember that's for banners with 10 relics on it. Increase those numbers to 24 and 12 if there are 12 relics on the banner, so it comes to 2/3rds and 1/3rd of the maximum possible score.)

What I do personally is run the numbers on all of the banners first, and look at any of the lowest scoring banners that I'm not comforable pulling on, based on my available mythril, and set a flexible thresshold just above that. On one fest I had a threshhold of 12, and on another it was 16. Once you do it a few times, you'll have a feel for what numbers you feel safe pulling on.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Oryp posted:

Gratz! You managed to get the same items as me, with only one extra pull. :p
I am legitimately still in disbelief about the 3 pulls I made.

Also: Bartz did about 400k damage off a single BSB command to the FFX 300 Torment, with some help from Tidus Chain and Faris debuffs. (cloud rw op even on mega chains)

drat, nice. I'm definitely in disbelief after seeing that reddit guy's $300+ pull.

Newbie News: Beat my first torment!

Also the first time I put Bartz' combo into full blast... last cast was like 5x spellblade + 8hit followup :feelsgood:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Hey! Not bad! First 100 gem hit since FF14. Fire imperil is nice too, so I'll probably get some mileage out of it.

Pretty happy. Looking forward to Tuesday's LD even more now :D

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ceaselessfuture posted:

Hey! Not bad! First 100 gem hit since FF14. Fire imperil is nice too, so I'll probably get some mileage out of it.

I get quite a bit of mileage out of that hammer. The BSB also heals and Galuf is great with this and Fires Within/Meteor Smash/Dive/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I knew it'd be a dupe, so of course it was. Not sure whether to combine or leave apart. It's not a super great source of damage but my ffv phys can use every bit of help it can get.

On the plus side, I beat my first MP apoc solo! Despite having no FFXI synergy at all, either. A 7* Ragnarok (FFT) and agrias with enholy ssb and bsb go a long way against a holy weak boss.

• Locked thread